NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-16-2022, 08:26 PM
Rich

Default 1966 Martin's Family Night Program vs. Yankees - Space Program

I just picked these up this week. I really like the Orioles Martin's Family night scorecards and picture packs due to their rarity as only being available one night per year at Memorial Stadium. In addition to depicting two Baltimore Orioles pulling a Yankee player in two directions as once, it also has a theme of Rockets and the space program!! The rockets are visible in the background of the front cover. Actual U.S. space rocket photos are on the back cover, while team player photos are inside with a place to score the game.

This was an 8-0 Orioles win vs. Yankees. Both Brooks and Frank Robinson hit Hr's. Neither Mantle nor Maris had any hits. Jim Palmer was the winning pitcher for the Orioles. Anyway, since I have two of them, one of them is available for sale or trade. Please pm me if interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966Martin's.jpg (203.8 KB, 504 views)

Last edited by uyu906; 09-16-2022 at 08:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-25-2022, 07:37 AM

Default Looking for advice - Selling Orioles Collection

removed

Last edited by TCope64; 10-08-2022 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:05 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCope64 View Post
First off, you all have amazing collections and I've really enjoyed looking back through this thread. I'm of that age where Brooks Robinson was my idol growing up and he's done nothing to tarnish that image in the 48 years since I first saw him play.

But speaking of being that age, I'm at the point where it's time to let go of the past and see if there are new homes for my collection. Here's where I'm looking for help on how to make that happen. eBay is out for several reasons (fees are high both for selling and getting paid, income taxes, and what seems to be a declining collector base). Do I look for another auction house and just be done with it? Use this site and ones like to to offer individual items? In my opinion the time invested photographing, packaging, and shipping is not worth the squeeze in the end.

My collection has meant the world to me over the years, but I'm not kidding myself that what I have is super rare and will generate headlines when it hits the market.

My primary focus has been autographs. I started with a goal of collecting at least one signature from every player, coach and manager starting with the 1954 team. And, save for a few from recent years that effort is complete. In many instances I have a signed card, team issued postcard (not all in Orioles uniforms) or a 3x5 for each person. I got into collecting the Crown set, and have over 400 different signed cards. There's an assortment of team-signed balls, including one from 1954, single-signed balls, minor league affiliate team-signed baseball, signed programs, etc.

There's a complete run of signed Brooks regular-issue cards from 1957-1978. Probably 20 different Brooks store model gloves in varying conditions.

Then there's the complete runs of programs and yearbooks as well as 30 or 40 years of media guides.

Here's an example of one of my oddball programs. It's from January 1954 and contains signatures from Fritz Maisel, Eddie Robinson, Arthur Ehlers, Jack Dunn, Mike Blyzka and Bobby Young.

Again, my stuff is pretty pedestrian when compared to what I'm seeing here, but there's a ton of experience on this board, so I'm hoping to get some good ideas. Offlist replies are welcome at timcopeland64@gmail.com.
Tim,

Sorry to hear you're liquidating your Orioles collection. I'm not especially into autographs, but do collect some of the items you mentioned. If you've been following the thread, I'm into team issued postcards and photos, programs and O's minor league affiliates stuff.

My collection of those items is fairly large, but looking especially for the B&W team issued postcards from the 1954-56 range, unusual Orioles programs and minor league programs. A few newer items I need are a 1993 B&W postcard of Paul Carey, 2008-09 color postcards of Hayden Penn, 2015 postcard of Scott Coolbaugh and an Aberdeen Ironbirds program from 8/12/2016.

There are some great guys that contribute to this thread, that I'm sure would enjoy many of your items.

Scott Coolbaugh postcard I need.

Coolbaugh.jpg
Old 09-28-2022, 07:56 AM
Bill H@e1ig

For those of you who had the opportunity to visit Camden Yards this season, you most likely noticed in the main concourse area that they set up special displays with memorabilia covering the 30 years that the Orioles had played there.

At the top of each display was their official 30th Anniversary logo & I was fortunate to get one of the logo signs that hadn't been used:

Old 09-28-2022, 04:49 PM
Clint

Nice sign Bill!
Old 09-29-2022, 06:21 PM
Alan Strout

Default John Stearns

First - Bill very nice looking sign.

Second - I've been meaning to post this the last couple weeks, but never got around to it. I feel every Oriole deserves some time in this great thread.

Former Orioles 1st Base coach John Stearns passed away two weeks ago. Stearns had a nice 10 year playing career, mostly with the Mets, before getting into managing and coaching. Stearns coached 1st base for the Orioles during the 1996 & 1997 playoff seasons under manager Davey Johnson.

Here's John Stearn's team issued postcard and 8x10 photo.

1996 Postcards 07 - Copy.JPG Stearns, John 1 - Copy.jpg

Looks like our O's are going to fall a little short this year, but I can't be disappointed. No one saw the Orioles improving as much as they did. Can't wait for spring training.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:04 PM

Default 1969 Nabisco Team Flakes - Brooks Robinson

Good Sunday to everyone. I thought to show some cards the next few weeks from my collection. I will pick a type of card or something odd and share my thoughts or facts on the item. Here, is the 1969 Nabisco Team Flakes featuring Brooks. There are 3 different full panels featuring 8 players each. The 8 player panels feature numerous hall of famers including Aaron, Clemente, Rose, Gibson, Mays, and a few others). There are 21 different 2 player hand cut panels. There are 24 different hand cut player cards. I have the complete set of 24 player hand cut cards, 3 full 8 player panels and 13 of the 21 two player panels. Finding the 2 player panels have been difficult. You can see them all on my PSA Master 1969 Nabisco Team Flakes set (I am #2 on the Master...I named it Charlie if interested in seeing all the variations and cards). My set averages a PSA 8 or NM-MT. Some are higher and some lower. Always looking to improve my set. The cards have either a thin border or thicker border. The thicker border is harder to find and more expensive. The photographs do not show the team emblem and were also used for the Sports Illustrated Poster and 1968 SI Promo Cards. My enthusiasm for this set is a bit higher than the value of the cards or interest in the hobby. Player collectors are interested in the cards for their player sets but the value of the cards is not what i believe they should be. Clemente, Mays and Rose at a high grade can cost $500-$1,000 while a higher graded common card will fetch a few hundred or less. The two player panel cards and full panels can go for a lot more. When looking for these cards, you want to ensure they have a clean cut outside of the lines and a clean surface and back. The cards share the same border, which adds to the low number of high graded cards since the card cut outside of the dotted line meant its neighbor was not. Also adding to the rarity of these cards is the cereal was not loaded with sugar so kids were not a big fan unlike the Post Cereal counterparts (so I am told). In case anyone is wondering, I did cut a very damaged panel to salvage a Brooks once but the others I found from other collectors. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nabisco Brooks Robinson .jpg (201.8 KB, 409 views)
Old 10-02-2022, 03:39 PM
Rich

Default Nabisco

I love the 1969 Nabisco set! I completed it a few years back. But, I have not added any full panels yet. I think the Brooks and Frank in the set look awesome!
Old 10-02-2022, 04:09 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Don't want to pre-boast (especially since the vast majority of my submitted cards got hammered number-wise), but this Brooksie is coming back (after like a 17 year wait) from the 'Swinging Sixties' group sub as a PSA 9!!

1961brooksrobinson10pregrade.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:12 PM

Default 1961 Brooks PSA 9

Wow!!! That is exciting and a real difficult thing to do anymore with a grading company. I am continuously hammered! Well done and congratulations!
Old 10-02-2022, 06:26 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Here, is the 1969 Nabisco Team Flakes featuring Brooks. There are 3 different full panels featuring 8 players each. The 8 player panels feature numerous hall of famers including Aaron, Clemente, Rose, Gibson, Mays, and a few others). There are 21 different 2 player hand cut panels. There are 24 different hand cut player cards.

Always looking to improve my set. The cards have either a thin border or thicker border. The thicker border is harder to find and more expensive.
Charlie,

Very nice looking Nabisco cards. I collected them as a kid. My dad would eat the Team Flakes. I wish I would have been smarter at 11 years old and not cut all the panels into individual cards.

I have the Frank Robinson thin border and wide border cards, but have never seen a Brooks Robinson card with the wide borders. Do you have a wide border Brooks Robinson or know that one exists?

Frank Robinson (thin border & wide border variations)

1969 Nabisco Team Flakes.jpg
Old 10-03-2022, 09:36 PM

Default Alan - Nabisco

I have not seen a wide border for Brooks. At one time I had 3 complete sets but not too many wide borders. I have a few in my set now but only a few. Your Frank cards are nice. I really like the panels. I was having a lot of luck with the 2 player panels but then hit a dry spell. I found the 3 panels about a year ago and about fainted. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:40 PM

Default Memorial Stadium Last Game Signed Jacket

removed

Last edited by TCope64; 10-08-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:32 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post

Scott Coolbaugh postcard I need.

Attachment 535762
A huge shout out and thank you to Bill Haelig for making my day. He surprised me with a Scott Coolbaugh postcard I needed. I love filling in an empty slot in my Orioles team issued postcard albums.

Current count (2764 out of 2897) Only 133 to go.....

2015 Postcards 03.JPG

Thanks Bill
Old 10-08-2022, 12:36 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Alan...Was happy to add something to your amazing collection!

Was looking for something last evening and ran across this 1991 Crown Gasoline pump sign (forgotten I had it):

Old 10-10-2022, 03:57 PM

Default Broks Robinson Handcut Newspaper "Cards"

Greetings, Brooks collectors. I am a day late on my weekly Brooks post featuring his card related items. Busy weekend. This week I thought to share some newpaper "cards." I will not go into a lot of detail because others have commented on these in years past. I will share some details on the 1960 - 1963 Baltimore News-Post scrapbook cards and the 1970 Dayton Daily News Bubble-Gumless cards. First, the Baltimore News-Post provided collectors the opportunity to handcut Oriole players/coaches from their newspaper for 4 years. Brooks Robinson was represented each year. Finding these cards is very difficult. I always wondered when the cards were featured in the paper, how were they displayed, how many were provided per paper, and has anyone ever found a paper with a player in the paper not cutout. Most of my information is from a blog by Bob Lemke and discussions with Alan Strout. The cards were black and white with a photo, facsimile autograph, and biographical details and some information on their career or lifetime statistics (some of these details depended on the year published). The 1960 50 card set is probably my favorite. I only have 10 / 50 cards (sadly, Brooks is not one that I own but still looking). The 1961 set includes 45 players/coaces to include Brooks, which a picture is provided. I completed this set about 6 months ago. The 1962 Set includes 47 players/coaches also featuring Brooks. A picture of Brooks is provided. I am short two players in this set (Cosgrove and Hall). The 1963 set also features Brooks; a total of 43 players/coaches. I am short 13 cards in this set. I am fortunate to have a few extras of 1961 and 1962 cards. The extra's are mostly glued to a scrapbook affixed by a youngman back in the 1960s. I did my best to remove them from the scrapbook without any damage but most are affixed with another player/coach (back to back). PSA graded a 1961 Brooks but then later said they would not grade anymore, which was very upsetting. The 1961 Brooks was part of the Brooks PSA master set but later removed. Next is the 1970 Brooks Dayton Daily News Bubble-Gumless Cards (162 different players were in this set including Brooks). These cards shared biographical details about a player, his photo along with his 1969 and career statistics. These cards are very hard to find...at least Brooks is. Two Brooks cards are graded by PSA and this card is part of the Brooks master set. A picture of mine is provided. If anyone has any extra Baltimore News Post Cards and interested in selling or trading, let me know. Happy Collecting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BNP BR Pics.jpg (207.3 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg Pic DDN BR.jpg (204.7 KB, 340 views)
Old 10-15-2022, 08:36 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I had a good TTM experience with Ron Hansen who signed a 1960 wire photo as well as four cards...I've noted that Jackie Brandt is starting to sign TTM as well, so I'll get this photo out to him next:

Old 10-16-2022, 06:22 AM
Mike Magee

Default 1969 Orioles vs. White Sox Program (County Stadium)

Good morning,

I recently picked up a 1969 Orioles vs. White Sox program from a 01-Sep-1969 game played in County Stadium (Milwaukee). After Milwaukee lost the Braves, they talked the White Sox (who had terrible attendance in Chicago compared to the Cubs) into playing 9 games in County Stadium in 1968 (1 against each of the other 9 American league teams) and 11 games in 1969 (1 against the now 11 other clubs in the AL).

The O's won the game in Milwaukee 8-0, with Boog hitting an HR. The program I picked up is completely scored. The inside of the program is mainly about the White Sox but there is a photo of Frank Robinson. Since it's 1969, there is also a Seattle Pilots logo on the front.

1969 Brewers program_front.jpg

1969 Brewers program_Frank Robinson.jpg

1969 Brewers program_scored.jpg

Last edited by ripfan008; 10-16-2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:42 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good morning,

I recently picked up a 1969 Orioles vs. White Sox program from a 01-Sep-1969 game played in County Stadium (Milwaukee). After Milwaukee lost the Braves, they talked the White Sox (who had terrible attendance in Chicago compared to the Cubs) to play 9 games in County Stadium in 1968 (1 against each of the other 9 American league teams) and 11 games in 1969 (1 against the now 11 other clubs in the AL).
Mike,

Nice program. I love programs that can be pinpointed to a certain date.

FYI - Here's the 1968 program from the Orioles / White Sox game in Milwaukee on May 29th. The Orioles won 3-2. In fact, the White Sox went 1-8 in their games played in Milwaukee in 1968, getting shut out in four of those games.

1968 Chicago White Sox (Milwaukee).JPG
Old 10-16-2022, 08:07 AM
Bill H@e1ig

great programs Mike & Alan!

Recently picked up this handwritten letter on Orioles letterhead from Doug DeCinces to a fan c. 1976:

Old 10-16-2022, 02:54 PM

Default Update on Brooks Robinson related All Star Game Pennants (1960-1974)

Good Sunday to everyone. I thought to update folks on my Brooks pennant hunt. I picked up a few recently and put them in a wheel formation. The pictures depict the same pennants but wanted to give you two diferent views. My goal is to find a pennant for each AS game Brooksie played in. When I started I coincidentally had a few but have really been fortunate to find so many more. As you know, Brooks played in 18 AS games but was selected to the AS game 15 years concecutive years. 1960 - 1962, he appeard in 2 games per year. Each AS game has at least 1 pennant so I am looking for 18 pennants but you'll notice some years I have more than one pennant. My desire is to find pennants with his name, but this is not always possible. For instance, his first AS game in 1960 he was not on the "red" American League pennant with the name of the players. Brooksie was there and appears in the program but he did not "rate" to get his name on the scroll. You'll see his name for the first time on the 1962 pennant. His name appeard on the second all star game in 1962, too. The lone year a picture pennant appeard with Brooks was in 1965. In fact, his picture is on two versions; a red and blue pennant (some pretty good talent on those pictures, by the way). In 1971, you will notice two pennants without names (red and blue version) and one with all of the names for both the AL and NL. My favorite pennant is a tie...I really like the 1965 red picture pennant and the 1974 pennant with the names. Some of these pennants can be very expensive. I believe the most valuable one is the 1962 AL pennant (by the way it is in perfect shape and the 1965 picture pennants). All three will go for $500 or so. The other pennants are not cheap. I am sure some of the years I have only one pennant there is another version with or without names. I have a couple of pennant references but surprisingly I have a few pennants that the reference does not show. I have done extensive research on line and have an idea what else is out there. I am still missing pennants for 1964 (his MVP season and my birth year), 1967, 1968, 1969, and 1973. In addition to the pennants, I collect the AS programs (100% complete) and AS tickets. I am missing the 1962 ticket from the Washington, D.C. game. Once I find that missing 1962 DC AS game ticket and the 5 missing pennants, I will take a picture with all three items by year. Hope you enjoy the pennants and details above. Show yours if you have any. If anyone has an extra pennant of the ones missing, keep me in mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pennant 1.jpg (197.9 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg pennant 2.jpg (200.8 KB, 287 views)
Old 10-16-2022, 05:44 PM

Default 1971 Japan Tour Booklet

Searched but didn't see this item posted here previously. Looks like this might have been part of someone's scrapbook in the past or some type of binder based on the hole punches. Otherwise in nice shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3561.jpg (145.2 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3562.jpg (139.0 KB, 296 views)
Old 10-16-2022, 06:20 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Searched but didn't see this item posted here previously. Looks like this might have been part of someone's scrapbook in the past or some type of binder based on the hole punches. Otherwise in nice shape.
Interestingly, I also have that program/magazine in my collection and it has punch holes in nearly the exact same locations. I wish I could read Japanese to get a better idea what the content is all about.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I wish I could read Japanese to get a better idea what the content is all about.
The contents inside mine are all in English. Are you saying yours is Japanese?
Old 10-16-2022, 08:08 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Good Sunday to everyone. I thought to update folks on my Brooks pennant hunt. I picked up a few recently and put them in a wheel formation. The pictures depict the same pennants but wanted to give you two diferent views. My goal is to find a pennant for each AS game Brooksie played in.
Charlie....I know he wasn't a player but you may want to add a '78 ASG pennant to your collection as Brooks was in uniform as a honorary coach that year...

Best of luck with your search!!! Great idea!
Old 10-17-2022, 11:11 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
The contents inside mine are all in English. Are you saying yours is Japanese?
Tim,

You're probably correct. I'm in Florida and mine is in Maine, so I can't verify, but the cover is in English. The other publications I have from the 1971 Japan tour all have Japanese covers.

Here's the others I have from the 1971 Japan tour

1971 Japan Tour (Program #1).jpg 1971 Japan Tour (Program #2).jpg

1971 Japanese Magazine (Japan TourNovember 22).jpg 1971 Japanese Magazine (Japan TourNovember 29).jpg
Old 10-17-2022, 08:26 PM

Default Bill - 1978 AS Game with Brooks as Captain

Great idea. Thank you! I will find that pennant, program and ticket. Thanks for sharing and adding to my addiction. Happy collecting.
Old 10-23-2022, 03:44 PM

Default 1969 Transogram

Hi, everyone. This week thought to share my Transogram Collection. I am collecting two sets (not sure why...I guess because I have so many complete boxes and about 20 without the figurine...they are folded). The 1969 Transogram Box Set consists of 60 different players. The box included a figurine with stadium backround, large card to be cutout on the back and a smaller picture on the top of the box or flap. Brooks appears in the set and below you will see a PSA 4 graded box (highest graded), a PSA 5 smaller card and the larger card (PSA 8...tied as highest graded). A complete box with the figurine is also displayed. The Transogram Set is very diffigult to put together. Mantle, Mays, Aaron, and Clemente are in the set and they can cost between $1,000 - $2,000. Brooks is impossible to find and he can fetch a large sum, too. I have a Brooks complete box listed on ebay for sale, which I doubt will sell (PSA 1 with a sticker / price on it). The boxes often times have issues with the cellophen and price stickers on the flap where the smaller card appears. Normal wear and tear is also an issue. The cards were meant to be cut out when purchased, which is another reason the complete box is hard to find. Along with Brooks, Dave McNally and Frank Robinson are in the set. The Transogram appeard again in 1970 with 5 New York Mets boxes (3 players each...Ryan and Searver are on separate boxes) and other players in a 3 player box format. I will stick with the 1969 Set. I picked up 4 this past week that puts me at 45 complete boxes out of 60. I am about 30 out of 60 for my second set. I have 20 additonal boxes that are trade bait, if anyone has a box laying around available for a trade. The 1969 Transogram has a store display that is really cool with the photos of the players. I would love to find that display and store my set. Anyway, included are my Brooksies and my boxes stacked in a couple storage boxes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRansogram Brooks.jpg (197.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg Transogram Set.jpg (199.1 KB, 251 views)
Old 10-23-2022, 09:06 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Hi, everyone. This week thought to share my Transogram Collection. I am collecting two sets (not sure why...I guess because I have so many complete boxes and about 20 without the figurine...they are folded). The 1969 Transogram Box Set consists of 60 different players. The box included a figurine with stadium backround, large card to be cutout on the back and a smaller picture on the top of the box or flap. Brooks appears in the set and below you will see a PSA 4 graded box (highest graded), a PSA 5 smaller card and the larger card (PSA 8...tied as highest graded). A complete box with the figurine is also displayed. The Transogram Set is very diffigult to put together. Mantle, Mays, Aaron, and Clemente are in the set and they can cost between $1,000 - $2,000. Brooks is impossible to find and he can fetch a large sum, too. I have a Brooks complete box listed on ebay for sale, which I doubt will sell (PSA 1 with a sticker / price on it). The boxes often times have issues with the cellophen and price stickers on the flap where the smaller card appears. Normal wear and tear is also an issue. The cards were meant to be cut out when purchased, which is another reason the complete box is hard to find. Along with Brooks, Dave McNally and Frank Robinson are in the set. The Transogram appeard again in 1970 with 5 New York Mets boxes (3 players each...Ryan and Searver are on separate boxes) and other players in a 3 player box format. I will stick with the 1969 Set. I picked up 4 this past week that puts me at 45 complete boxes out of 60. I am about 30 out of 60 for my second set. I have 20 additonal boxes that are trade bait, if anyone has a box laying around available for a trade. The 1969 Transogram has a store display that is really cool with the photos of the players. I would love to find that display and store my set. Anyway, included are my Brooksies and my boxes stacked in a couple storage boxes.

Charlie,

That is quite an impressive group of boxes. I collected a few of these as a kid, but cut up all my boxes. Unfortunately, none of my statues made it through the 1970's. They weren't very well made and mine faded and yellowed over time (too much sunlight).

As it turned out my Boog Powell from 1970 is probably the toughest Oriole to find.

1970 Transogram Boog Powell (Fairly good cutting job for a 12 yr old LOL)

1970 Transogram.JPG
Old 10-24-2022, 08:59 AM

Default Transograms

Alan, I love the Boxes and cards. I am afraid to get into the 1970s. If I see a Boog Powell though, I will buy it. Those 1970 boxes are very expensive. Thanks for sharing and good job on the “cut!”
Old 10-26-2022, 06:19 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Charlie,

What a great looking collection of boxes. I have a couple Brooks examples, but not in the greatest shape.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:45 AM
Danny Gabel

Default Brooks

Some of you know that I collect deaf sports related stuff and my collection varies from deaf pro athletes to deaf school superstars, children of deaf adults, and etc.

I find myself want to grab some of Brooks stuff because he grew up by Arkansas School for the Deaf. He spent endless of hours on campus playing baseball with their deaf students growing up. He was able to communicate with them in sign language. It means the world to me!

I have some of his 1960's cards from my dad's childhood collection. Im hoping to grab some nice tickets to his milestone games, maybe autographed bat. Any ideas or suggestions that I should add to my collection room would be sweet.

I was able to buy old Arkansas school for the deaf postcard earlier this week from eBay. I was hoping that I could have him sign on it. Whats my best shot to get it done?

Best,
Danny
Always buying Deaf Sports related, William Hoy, Luther Taylor, George Kihm, Grover Alexander, Dick Sipek, Curtis Pride, Carlton Molesworth, Lou Burdette, Gil McDougald, Ralph Lin Weber, Gallaudet University

Set
1909 E-91A (23/33)
1993 Topps Finest Refractor (109/199)
Old 10-29-2022, 12:15 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSports View Post
Some of you know that I collect deaf sports related stuff and my collection varies from deaf pro athletes to deaf school superstars, children of deaf adults, and etc.

I find myself want to grab some of Brooks stuff because he grew up by Arkansas School for the Deaf. He spent endless of hours on campus playing baseball with their deaf students growing up. He was able to communicate with them in sign language. It means the world to me!

I have some of his 1960's cards from my dad's childhood collection. Im hoping to grab some nice tickets to his milestone games, maybe autographed bat. Any ideas or suggestions that I should add to my collection room would be sweet.

I was able to buy old Arkansas school for the deaf postcard earlier this week from eBay. I was hoping that I could have him sign on it. Whats my best shot to get it done?

Best,
Danny
Danny,

He’s definitely getting up in age, but I know once in a while he’ll do signings in the MD area. He just did one recently at Great Moments. Maybe someone on here would know further options.

There’s always items to display, bats, balls, publications, posters, photos, etc. pick something you like and I’m sure a signed example is out there. If you pick something you like let this group know. I’m sure they’ll have something available for a fellow Brooks fan.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 10-29-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:42 PM

Default Brooks on Boxes / Displays

Hi, everyone. Thought to share my boxes or displays with Brooks. Going from left to right. Here is one of my many Bazooka Boxes. This is the 1967 version (Mantle on the back). I have all of the other complete boxes (1963, 1964, 1966, 1968, and 1971; minus the 1965) but they are graded. The Bazooka boxes make great displays. Next, the 1964 Rawlings MVP box featuring Brooks and Boyer on the back. This box is pretty big and included a glove. There are two other glove boxes that Brooks appeard on that I am aware of. There is the 1971 WS Glove Box with Roberto Clemente (I believe his signature appeard on the box; beautiful Red, White and Blue signed glove) and the 1964 Big 8 Rawlings Gove Box. The Big 8 Box has 2 four player panels including Brooks. I have the complete 8 player hand cut card set along with the Brooks 4 player panel. The Big 8 Box is probably my favorite. I have not seen either box but always looking. Next is the 1962 Toasites Corn Flakes full box from Post Cereal. This box was never assembled and includes the hand cut post cereal cards. Pretty rare and am tempted to assemble. Just below the Post box is the 1975 Topps box with Brooks batting what appears to be left handed. One of the two 1971 Milk Duds boxes appears with it. Below that is the the 1989 Baseball Greates Card Box by Swell. Above that box is the 1968 Creative Creations Marble Series 3 featuring Brooks. I have 5 of the 6 Series (missing Series 2). These are pretty hard to find intact. The Marbles are not easy to see but is an aweseome display. I somehow have a small Brooks cut out from this display and would love to grade it. Below the Marbles is the 1970 Action Cartridge Complete Box still in its original sealed box. This box is gradable by PSA as a box and as a panel. Next, is the 1969 Transogram Box. This is 1 of 60 boxes in that set. I am working on the Set (46 out of 60). PSA grades the box, big card and small card. Above the Transogram box is the 1967 Topps Pin-Up Box with Brooks and Mantle. The Topps Boxes make such great displays. Too bad Brooks is not on more. Above the 67 Topps Pin-Up Box is the 1970 Corn Flakes Kellogs Box. This box is an advertisement for the card inserts. On top of the Kellogs Box is my Special Armour Meats Baseball Offer display with Brooks appearing on the ball. I believe this is late 60s or early 70s. Next, are the 1975 and 1976 Hostess Boxes. Both boxes are part of the PSA Master as panels and individual hand cut cards. Finally, the 1977 Burger Chef Triple Play Funmeal Box. This box was provided to kids with the funmeals and features 8 other Oriole greats. This would make a great display but the card faces are on the bottom or rear when the box is assembled. The discs are smaller than the other 1976 and 1977 discs that are part of the PSA Master. The Burger Chef Brooks Disc is perforated and part of the PSA Master. Would love to see other boxes out there that I am not aware of. Happy Collecting!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boxes.jpg (213.2 KB, 301 views)
Old 10-31-2022, 10:16 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson/Roberto Clemente glove box

I’ve seen a couple of the Brooks/Clemente glove boxes over the years, but never picked one up. It pictures Brooks and Clemente on one panel and the glove on the other two. Did a couple screen shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60F00352-A24F-42D0-B066-362C42517773.jpg (74.8 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg F16C5D62-BC6A-48AF-A6E6-3025675BDCFD.jpg (89.5 KB, 275 views)

Last edited by Mark70Z; 10-31-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 03:10 PM

Default Glove Box

Love the box and glove! Would love to find both.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:14 PM

Default 1960 and 1962 missing Baltimore News Post Orioles Scrapbook Cards

Hi. I am missing a handful of 1960 and 1962 Baltimore News Post Oriole Scrapbook hand cut “cards” (newspaper clippings). In 1960, I need one to complete my set. I need #49 Courtney. I do not have an extra 1960 to trade.

For 1962, I need 4 to complete my set (Cosgrove, Hall, Ward, and Williams). I have a lot to trade it can pay cash via Pay Pal.

I also have extra 1961 and 1963. Some are rough but mostly in decent shape. I can show pictures if you want to trade.

If you have what I need above, I will make sure you get a nice deal. If you have what I need, consider trading me and I can give you 2-3 per player.

Thanks!

Last edited by Chstrite; 11-04-2022 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:03 PM

Just back from grading. Had this set sitting at home for 5 years and finally decided to get them all graded. I bought the Ripken and the set was part of the auction. Very happy with the grades seeing how tough these are in high grade.
[IMG]
Old 11-05-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I’ve seen a couple of the Brooks/Clemente glove boxes over the years, but never picked one up. It pictures Brooks and Clemente on one panel and the glove on the other two. Did a couple screen shots.
That baseball marble box is TUFF. I’ve got 1 with Lou Brock on it, but you never see them
Old 11-05-2022, 04:20 PM

Old 11-15-2022, 08:20 PM
Jonathan Sterling

A couple of the 84 English lids. These came with large Buckets. I had at one time a set of 76 lids and the small lids were tough. Luckey for me Nick Schoff and John Scott started running shows in and around Spring Garden Laurel etc. In 76 and I had access to the lids. Many fond memories of those shows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221115_221345.jpg (203.2 KB, 232 views)
Old 11-27-2022, 09:04 AM
Bill H@e1ig

recently picked up this 8' heavy vinyl banner that hung outside Camden Yards in 2001:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 11-28-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:01 AM

Default banner

i like the banners but they are so big. i have one of Adam Jones and another one with old Orioles to include Brooks. I really like the side with the "Orioles" written out. nice pick up.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:03 AM

Default Brooks Robinson / Orioles Post Cards and Photos

anyone have any of these they want to sell or trade?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Brooks post cards and pictures.jpeg (138.8 KB, 213 views)
Old 12-27-2022, 05:04 PM

Default Looking for 1956 &1957 San Antonio Missions and 1959 Vancouver Mountie Programs

Looking for the programs / scorecards for the years and teams indicated featuring Brooks Robinson. Please let me know if you have one:

Charles.strite@yahoo.com
Old 12-27-2022, 06:23 PM
Alan Strout

Default RIP Fred Valentine

Just heard from Bill Haelig that former Orioles outfielder Fred Valentine passed away yesterday. Fred played in the major leagues for 7 seasons, spending his entire career in the Baltimore/Washington DC area (3 different seasons with the Orioles and the rest with the Senators).

Fred appeared several times at the Orioles alumni signings at Camden Yards in recent years. He was always very friendly.

Here are a few postcards & photos from his time with the Orioles and Rochester Red Wings.

1961 Red Wings BB Clinic & 1963 Scheible Press postcards

1961 Rochester Red Wings Clinic 02 - Copy.jpg 1963 Scheible Press #3 - Copy.JPG

Orioles team issued postcard & 8x10 photo

1963 Postcards 10 - Copy.JPG Valentine, Fred 1 - Copy.JPG
Old 12-28-2022, 07:15 AM
Mike Magee

Quote:
Just heard from Bill Haelig that former Orioles outfielder Fred Valentine passed away yesterday. Fred played in the major leagues for 7 seasons, spending his entire career in the Baltimore/Washington DC area (3 different seasons with the Orioles and the rest with the Senators).

Fred appeared several times at the Orioles alumni signings at Camden Yards in recent years. He was always very friendly.

Here are a few postcards & photos from his time with the Orioles and Rochester Red Wings.

1961 Red Wings BB Clinic & 1963 Scheible Press postcards

Attachment 549407 Attachment 549408

Orioles team issued postcard & 8x10 photo

Attachment 549410 Attachment 549409
Thanks for posting this Alan. Fred had become friends with a member of my family who lives in the DC area. When my relative mentioned how much I loved baseball, Fred asked for my address and started sending me signed photos and copies of his MLB Alumni magazines. I spoke to him via email to send my thanks but never got a chance to tell him in person. He was a real class act. RIP.

Fred Valentine.jpg
Old 01-09-2023, 03:38 PM
Bill H@e1ig

It was only uncovered recently that Orioles centerfielder Willie Tasby (1958-60) passed away in April of last year.

Willie may be best remembered for playing the outfield in stocking feet during a rainy afternoon at Memorial Stadium rather than take a chance that his metal spikes might attract lightning...

RIP Willie

Last edited by roarfrom34; 01-09-2023 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:35 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

He'll always be remembered for his 1962 Topps variation where the insignia on his hat can be found airbrushed out...

s-l1600.jpg

R.I.P. Willie

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Brook Treakle was another photographer along the same lines as Mel Bailey and JD McCarthy, that took a lot of baseball photos and ended up producing postcards. My research shows he did MLB players, but much of his work involved the minor leagues. He was from the Virginia area.

Here's a post from Exhibitman from April 2019

"I've been doing some research over the past two years on these postcards. The photographer's name is Brook Treakle. He passed away in 1991, but he took a lot of photographs for the Peninsula Pilots in the Carolina League; in fact, his photographs were used for the two 1980 TCMA Peninsula Pilots sets with Julio Franco. ... Treakle's trademark is his immaculate hand-printing on the backs of the cards. When he passed away, his mother sold his collection. It was broken-down into three groups: photo postcards, negatives, and autographs. A lot of the autographed items have appeared on eBay. I found out the two collectors who purchased the negatives and the postcards. I don't know what quantities he produced the postcards in, but I have to believe it couldn't be more than a handful. He also took pictures of photographs in books and made postcards out of them, He referred to them as "photo negatives."

Years ago I picked up a couple groups of his photos that included B&W postcards (with postcard backs), postcard sized color photos and some larger 4x6 color photos. All of the photos were Rochester Red Wings from the late 70's through mid 80's. Photos included posed and action shots.

Here are some samples

Orlando Sanchez, Larry Sheets, Billy Ripken and Willie Royster

Attachment 405456

Dallas Williams (twice), Steve Luebber and Jeff Youngbauer

Attachment 405457

Example of the handwriting on the back

Attachment 405458
I picked up a little more info. His full name was Thornton Brook Treakle III. He lived 1941-1991. Here is a replacement image for the broken url above.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...