NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-16-2022, 09:31 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default 1973 Topps Comics

Just picked up a near set (23/24) of these, and figured I would share a bit with the forum. In part, this is a new pick-up post, with the added bonus that since this is a bit of an oddball set, some of you may just now be hearing about it for the first time, so it's also an educational post.

Since I bought them raw and submitted them to PSA for grading, it's also in some ways a post about grading.

For those not familiar with the set, here's a nice article online

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...leased-rarity/

In my mind, it's a pretty fun set because the set is relatively small at just 24 items, and yet also includes a pretty decent smattering of HOFers and/or stars. That and they also have some nice colors, with the added benefit of being a bit of a crossover to another aspect of my misspent youth wasted on comics.

Over the last couple of years, with the difficulty in finding nice pieces in the mainline sets for reasonable prices, I've shifted a bit into some of the test sets and regional issues, which can often still be had at prices not too much higher than pre-pandemic. For the most part, I'm a player collector. However, as seems to often be the case, when I want to pick up a single item from an obscure set (in this case for McCovey), often the only way to find it is to purchase a larger group, which inevitably seems to lead to me getting into a new set.

So I picked up this near set a few months ago at auction, in ungraded form, and then immediately sent it off to PSA for grading at the Economy level. They arrived on 8/31 at PSA, and I just got them back in graded form, so about 2.5 months turnaround time. In terms of the grading, I was /somewhat/ pleasantly surprised. These items are incredibly thin, and so therefore very condition sensitive. Since they were intended to ultimately be used as gum wrappers, it's not surprising that they're not meant to be military grade.

Add to that, my recent experience has been that PSA's grades have been pretty harsh, which I think has been generally confirmed by others in the forum. When I sent them off, I expected mostly to get them back in holders in the 4-6 range. So getting some back at higher levels was a pleasant surprise. And if I'm being honest, when it comes to test sets that were never actually issued to the public, finding them at all is a big deal, and getting number grades north of 1 is often a major triumph.

Some of the photos might be a bit hard to make out all of the details, since we're limited here in quantity and size. If you want better shots, you can look up the cert on PSA's website, which should give you some better pics to be able to read all of the tiny text and get a closer look at some of the graphics.

Hopefully everyone enjoys them as much as I do!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comics1.JPG (130.9 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg Comics2.JPG (126.6 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg Comics3.JPG (126.5 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg Comics4.JPG (127.6 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg Comics5.JPG (128.9 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg Comics6.JPG (127.6 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg Comics7.JPG (127.0 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg Comics8.JPG (85.5 KB, 333 views)

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-16-2022, 10:15 AM
Dave

Wow!
Old 11-16-2022, 11:09 AM

I knew who was missing immediately without looking .
Old 11-16-2022, 11:11 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I knew who was missing immediately without looking .
HA.

I am missing Nolan Ryan. There was a graded version (I think PSA 8) in the same auction, and it went for more than I paid for the rest of the set. Maybe 1.5x what I paid. Plus since I really just wanted the McCovey, I wasn't going to bid on the Ryan at that price. But now that I have the rest of the set, I guess I'll need to figure out a way to pick up the Ryan.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-16-2022, 11:18 AM
Dave

Just doing a cursory search, I can't imagine even a lower grade one would come up very often.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:37 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Just doing a cursory search, I can't imagine even a lower grade one would come up very often.
Yeah. Based on the PSA pop reports the most common piece has pop 13 (Willie Davis, oddly enough), and the lowest is pop 7. So they're hard to find. And I don't think there's that many floating around in raw form. Probably still a few out there, but it's hard to imagine that there are very many.

Somewhat oddly, many that do exist graded very well. Of the 186 ever graded, 9% are PSA 10, 17% are PSA 9, and 19% are PSA 8. So they were well cared for over the last 50 years.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-16-2022, 02:12 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

One of my favorite Topps oddball sets, congrats on a nice pickup!

Some examples were folded and sold but I believe a majority were not and have survived in really nice shape.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:43 PM

The 1973 Topps Billy Williams Comic is one of his very few mainstream issues I need for my Cubs collection but unfortunately it’s above my pay grade. I also need his 1967 Topps Punch-Out, 1972 Topps Candy Lid, and 1967 Pro’s Pizza Color Disc.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:01 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Congrats Nicolo!

That is a super tough test set. It used to show up once every year or two, but I haven't seen one offered in quite some time - surprised I missed this one! Visually AWESOME! Enjoy it.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:21 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
The 1973 Topps Billy Williams Comic is one of his very few mainstream issues I need for my Cubs collection but unfortunately it’s above my pay grade. I also need his 1967 Topps Punch-Out, 1972 Topps Candy Lid, and 1967 Pro’s Pizza Color Disc.
Those are all pretty challenging pieces to find! Lucky me, when it comes to the 1967 Topps Punch Out, Mays has 4 different varieties, so I had to get all 4 of them to round out the PSA master set. Shout out to Howard (above) who helped me pick up the last one that I was missing!

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-16-2022, 04:28 PM
Jamie

So cool!
Old 11-16-2022, 05:52 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Yowza!! Nice sandbox you get to play in. Great stuff!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:13 PM
Al Richter

Great pick up Nicolo. I guess the Comics and same year Pin Ups were unlicensed since no logos. In 74 Topps did apparently get a license for the 74 Deckles and Puzzles since the logos re appeared ( But not for the 74 Emblems, whatever they were supposed to be )

My set, picked up a long time ago, is ungraded

Old 11-16-2022, 06:47 PM

That unopened comic is sweet !
I have a Brooks comic and it has the 3 glue spots on the wide white margin on the wrapper. So it was definitely loaded with gum and a kid bought it at the store and ripped it open.
The comics seem to be a little tougher than the pin ups in my opinion.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:50 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Great pick up Nicolo. I guess the Comics and same year Pin Ups were unlicensed since no logos. In 74 Topps did apparently get a license for the 74 Deckles and Puzzles since the logos re appeared ( But not for the 74 Emblems, whatever they were supposed to be )

Always fun to learn that there are some more raw sets out there.

And I agree that it’s a bit curious the way the team logos come and go from set to set. Seems like they would just license it for everything or nothing. But maybe with a test set like this, it wasn’t worth the investment if you weren’t going to mass distribute them.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-16-2022, 07:01 PM
Al Richter

In the early years Topps just needed a license from MLB but starting in the late 60s the players association under Marvin Miller was also a factor. Hence so many old photos and blotted logos in the 68/69 sets. That may have been a factor. Not sure. Dave Hornish probably has better insight on the logo issue
Old 11-17-2022, 04:31 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
In the early years Topps just needed a license from MLB but starting in the late 60s the players association under Marvin Miller was also a factor. Hence so many old photos and blotted logos in the 68/69 sets. That may have been a factor. Not sure. Dave Hornish probably has better insight on the logo issue
I think Topps was just trying to save some dough and show some fiscal oversight having become a public company in March 1972. They also got away from logos on Football and Basketball sets for a bit there too. I never noticed with those two sports back then but for baseball, I always thought logo-less sets were cheesy as a kid.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:54 AM
Albert Bee

Default comic

very nice, way nicer then the 1979 version...
Old 11-17-2022, 09:56 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default Another attempt at some pics

Since the original pics were so blurry, here's an attempt at a few more that might be clearer, just for anyone who wants to get a closer look without having to check them out at the PSA cert verification website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eYDHKZZ4f0Cw3WbbVRBhLA_47275.jpg (192.0 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg X_081Biw70mYIMol_A61uQ_d2448.jpg (190.9 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg kdf3DKro9EiLrY6qS5wV5w_95ee3.jpg (192.1 KB, 241 views)

1963 Post complete panel
Old 11-17-2022, 11:41 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Definitely one of my favorite Topps oddballs too!

I love these 60's and 70's test sets.

Great pickup.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:55 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Congrats. Busting a 9 on any of those is amazing. Love that set. I only have one.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:05 PM
Shane

After looking for a Joe Torre for my Cardinals team sets for about 15 years, I finally found one (PSA 7) about 3 years ago. It is one of the toughest to find in my collection.

Edited to say - it is a PSA 6 not PSA 7.

Last edited by frankhardy; 01-09-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:16 PM
Michael

Anybody have a Johnny Bench Comic they would consider selling?? thanks, Michael.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:01 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Gave up attempting to get Willie Davis. There's been one on ebay for a couple years at a ridiculous amount and it basically made me not want one anymore, lol. For $500+ I'd rather get a HOF rookie. Very happy for you though, I agree with everyone else, they look tremendous.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:39 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
Gave up attempting to get Willie Davis. There's been one on ebay for a couple years at a ridiculous amount and it basically made me not want one anymore, lol. For $500+ I'd rather get a HOF rookie. Very happy for you though, I agree with everyone else, they look tremendous.
Thanks.

Admittedly, I have a few of my duplicates from this set for sale on eBay, but at 3x museum prices. So I totally understand the decision to give up on them.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 01-09-2023, 06:57 PM
Shane

Here is my 1973 Topps Comics Joe Torre from my Cardinals collection I was referring to. It is a PSA 6, not a PSA 7 like I mistakenly said above.

Last edited by frankhardy; 01-09-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:06 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Man, that is an awesome pickup; congrats on getting one of my favorite Topps test issue.

I, like Scott, have a Brooksie raw version, but definitely would not grade up there if it was submitted, but I still love the look.

Thanks so much for posting!
Old 01-10-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:

I noticed an interesting tidbit while reading thru these posts. Possibly all of you have talked about it, but on the Nolan Ryan comic, it says 392 strikeouts in the text on the right, but in the ball, it says 329. Figure it's an uncorrected error.

Brian