NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

So a 5k profit wasn't quite good enough, you wanted 12k? I see your point.

It really depends on what the card is washed with to many of us, me included, as far as how we feel about the card. BTW, in case you haven't checked this is a chat board and whining is allowed, please continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloondilana View Post
Are you guys seriously still crying about this card?
The auction is over. It got about $7500 less than I expected, maybe this thread had something to do with it.
Yes I flip cards, is there anything wrong with that? I read some posts that are attempting to knock me because of this.

I do what I do, and you guys can worship your beat up t206 Walter Johnson's.

Guys, really there is a lot more to life than whining about what grade a card should be or whether washing a card should not allow to get a numerical grade.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
So a 5k profit wasn't quite good enough, you wanted 12k? I see your point.

It really depends on what the card is washed with to many of us, me included, as far as how we feel about the card. BTW, in case you haven't checked this is a chat board and whining is allowed, please continue.
LOL......good one!

PS - I would LOVE a beat up Walter Johnson!! Play Ball preferably!!

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 02-10-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:05 AM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
LOL......good one!

PS - I would LOVE a beat up Walter Johnson!! Play Ball preferably!!
The card owner is a professional flipper of +$10K cards. Undoubtly he knows the perils of this business. Alterations, shilling, cracking out, resubmissions, re-consigning, AH musical chairs; he's probably an expert at all of this.

Assuming he's made some monsterous returns during the "buying group" tour. "Only" making $5k puts him off the ledge? Sorry, don't buy it, and don't feel sorry for him.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:55 AM
pete ullman

sure is a lot of ass kissing and stone throwing at glass houses going on here.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloondilana View Post
Thanks Justin.
You are correct, this thread has frustrated me. I'm not attacking everyone, just about 4 people.
The vintage card collectors of this board share potential examples of fraud to discuss which helps keep each other aware and knowledgeable of what might be going on.

You come along and demand we turn the other cheek so that you can make a bigger profit. You are attacking more than just the 4 people in this thread who spoke out & frustrated you.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

I think most people would be upset if they thought they bought a Ferrari, and found out it really is a Pontiac Fiero kit car with a Ferrari body.

I personally don't have the money to find out. Even if I loved the card, finding out it was messed with would change my opinion of it immediately and I would never look at it the same way again.

It would take the joy right out of having it, caused by knowing I could have paid a fraction of the price and done the same thing to have the same card would make me feel(and likely everyone else) that they got ripped off(which is what it would be).

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 02-10-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:54 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Is it just me, or does the PSA 7 look like the reverse text is bleeding a bit? I find the reverse text on the SGC 4 to be significantly sharper.

Could just be a slightly out of focus scan... or just me

As a side note, this thread reaffirms my desire to stay in the low end of the hobby. Restoration/Soaking/Doctoring and tampered with slabs are far less likely to happen to sub $200 cards... I'll take and enjoy a lightly trimmed or altered "Authentic" grade card any day of the week over the same card with a numeric grade that costs 10x - 100x as much. Where there's big $$ involved, there's greed and fraud. Always has been and always will be.

Last edited by sterlingfox; 02-10-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:41 PM

I also appreciate the shared knowledge that comes with following this board. Thank you everyone.

...Even if I loved the card, finding out it was messed with would change my opinion of it immediately...

If it were a $100. card or a $50,000. card, I would take advantage of the return policy so fast it make your head spin. Certified, Delivery signature, insured, personal plane ride to return, whatever it takes - card is going back. Done. Then Brent can return it to the doctor or whatever.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
I also appreciate the shared knowledge that comes with following this board. Thank you everyone.

...Even if I loved the card, finding out it was messed with would change my opinion of it immediately...

If it were a $100. card or a $50,000. card, I would take advantage of the return policy so fast it make your head spin. Certified, Delivery signature, insured, personal plane ride to return, whatever it takes - card is going back. Done. Then Brent can return it to the doctor or whatever.
Let's keep the facts straight, John Perez consigned this card to PWCC but he was not involved in the restoration, he purchased it as a PSA 7 from Goldin Auctions (to whom it had been consigned as a PSA 7 so no fault there either).

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-10-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Default clarification

Thanks for the clarification on the ownership trail. So then Brent can't return it to the doctor - ok then like I said ... or whatever. But I would be returning it. Real fast.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfox View Post
Is it just me, or does the PSA 7 look like the reverse text is bleeding a bit? I find the reverse text on the SGC 4 to be significantly sharper.

Could just be a slightly out of focus scan... or just me
I had not looked that closely but you might be right however all the resident board experts know without a doubt that only distilled water was used to turn the Joe D into a 7 and distilled water would not cause the text to bleed.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:35 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

That's one of the ugliest cards I've ever seen. Looks like a mugshot with a Yankees cap on.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Ne@l K

Does anyone know if Brent collects cards? Does he buy and sell?
Just curious

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 02-10-2017, 06:28 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
however all the resident board experts know without a doubt that only distilled water was used to turn the Joe D into a 7
Show me one post where anybody said they know without a doubt that only distilled water was used. Just one post. Nobody can say that because nobody knows for certain.

Conversely, there are several posts where the resident board experts say there was more than just distilled waters used. I guess they were there and watched
Old 02-10-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Show me one post where anybody said they know without a doubt that only distilled water was used. Just one post. Nobody can say that because nobody knows for certain.

Conversely, there are several posts where the resident board experts say there was more than just distilled waters used. I guess they were there and watched

Or maybe they are experts on soaking cards and know what water only may remove.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:12 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Or maybe they are experts on soaking cards and know what water only may remove.
yes...that!
Old 02-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Scott R.

Default Quite hideous indeed, although...

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
That's one of the ugliest cards I've ever seen. Looks like a mugshot with a Yankees cap on.
Still nicer than his 38' Goudey Heads Up, albeit not by much.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:37 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty21690 View Post
Still nicer than his 38' Goudey Heads Up, albeit not by much.
Ha! I love that set. There's no accounting for taste
Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

People can make reasonable inferences based on detailed before and after scans as well as their experience and knowledge. One doesn't need eyewitness testimony.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-10-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:13 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
People can make reasonable inferences based on detailed before and after scans as well as their experience and knowledge. One doesn't need eyewitness testimony.
Based on that experience and knowledge, what chemical(s) do you think were used?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Based on that experience and knowledge, what chemical(s) do you think were used?
Yes wouldn't that be awesome. A list of chemicals and maybe detailed info on how to use them. That way we could have more idiots altering cards.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I would think -- and this has been reinforced by people much more knowledgeable than myself -- bleach or some sort of caustic agent. I posted the contents of an email I had received early in the thread to this effect. Maybe there are newer and better methods, but I am just really skeptical that water alone could bring about that change. I mean on the SGC 50 detailed scan I posted, look at the contrast between the protected areas on the right side and the rest of the card.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-10-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
sure is a lot of ass kissing and stone throwing at glass houses going on here.
If you mean me on the prior, I just don't like to talk like I am a teenager throwing eggs at cars from the corner. I just see no point in it.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 02-10-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Absolutely.

I do not believe this was water and I have a theory, but no proof. The only issue I have with this thing is presenting theory as fact. If this was all presented as a talking point without the thread decending into stating it was unequivobly true a few posts in without anything but a photo, it would be more palatable.

Not being political, but as a reference, this is somewhat like switching between Breitbart and Huffington Post...the truth is likely in the middle.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:03 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
but I am just really skeptical that water alone could bring about that change.
If you search this forum, there are many threads about successful soaking with just water...and cards that were a lot worse than the Di Maggio. Here's one...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...highlight=Soak

Check out post #10. Not only does the paper and glue come off, the glue stains come out as well. Watch the video. You'll notice that after the paper is removed, there are still glue stains on the card. I'm guessing he soaked it long enough to remove the glue stains as well.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

To my eye the issue with the DiMaggio was toning, not staining, and my understanding which could be wrong is that water alone will not remove extensive toning.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:33 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
To my eye the issue with the DiMaggio was toning, not staining, and my understanding which could be wrong is that water alone will not remove extensive toning.
Maybe it is toning? There are ways to remove toning without even getting the card wet. Edited the details per Justin's request below, but he knows too.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-10-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 02-10-2017, 09:36 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

This thread has some amazing results too...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...highlight=Soak

Posts 1, 35 and 38.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

David, could you please remove the altering info so it is not used by random lurkers?

That info is better im'ed to Peter.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Thank you David.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:09 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
David, could you please remove the altering info so it is not used by random lurkers?

That info is better im'ed to Peter.
Done. I just wanted to show there are ways to remove/reduce toning where no chemicals touch the card at all...which I'm of the opinion that it's not considered altering given that it doesn't change the card whatsoever.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Done. I just wanted to show there are ways to remove/reduce toning where no chemicals touch the card at all...which I'm of the opinion that it's not considered altering given that it doesn't change the card whatsoever.
Understood, I just wish to respect all opinions.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:38 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
My thoughts as well. If I owned it I might say, "Here's my Dimag PSA 7". But I could never say, "Here's my Dimag PSA 7. Ain't it a beaut?".
Old 02-11-2017, 01:38 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
My thoughts as well. If I owned it I might say, "Here's my Dimag PSA 7". But I could never say, "Here's my Dimag PSA 7. Ain't it a beaut?".
Right but if was a PSA 4 Diimaggio you can say its an excellent example for the grade and a candidate for a bump.

There are many collectors i know that for their personal collection they would rather have a prime '6' than a low '7' and would trade straight up by giving the higher grade card for the lower grade card depending on the card or at least giving a great deal on paper

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-11-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:08 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Right but if was a PSA 4 Diimaggio you can say its an excellent example for the grade and a candidate for a bump.

There are many collectors i know that for their personal collection they would rather have a prime '6' than a low '7' and would trade straight up by giving the higher grade card for the lower grade card depending on the card or at least giving a great deal on paper
Wrong. Get your you's straight. I was commenting on Conor's remark (Hi Conor) that the image itself is a mugshot. Fugly foto no matter what the grade.

Last edited by Paul S; 02-11-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:33 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Wrong. Get your you's straight. I was commenting on Conor's remark (Hi Conor) that the image itself is a mugshot. Fugly foto no matter what the grade.
Wrong, I think my you's were straight (agree to disagree), and am going with the same comment even after your comment to my comment about your comment about the comment

There are are many collectors i know that for their personal collection they would rather have a prime '6' than a low fugly foto '7' and would trade straight up by giving the higher grade card for the lower grade card depending on the card or at least giving a great deal on paper

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-12-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:43 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Wrong, I think my you's were straight (agree to disagree), and am going with the same comment even after your comment to my comment about your comment about the comment

There are are many collectors i know that for their personal collection they would rather have a prime '6' than a low fugly foto '7' and would trade straight up by giving the higher grade card for the lower grade card depending on the card or at least giving a great deal on paper
I tried to read this post twice, then headed for the Tylenol.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:54 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
I tried to read this post twice, then headed for the Tylenol.
I was going to add some more 'comment to the comment' to the post perhaps 7 or 8 more but then you would of needed more than just Tylenol
Old 02-12-2017, 12:33 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
I was going to add some more 'comment to the comment' to the post perhaps 7 or 8 more but then you would of needed more than just Tylenol
Is that "7 or 8" PSA, SGC or BVG?
Old 02-14-2017, 11:54 PM
Nick Mich@lovitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I don't rely on grading or buy flips over cards and I see your point in this discussion completely.

I think it only matters in this circumstance due to PWCC's return policy:
"We at PWCC are not professional graders so we trust in the reputation and opinion of 3rd party professional graders. Professional grading is subjective and different 3rd party graders will often disagree over the grading on a single card. Such a disagreement is NOT a justifiable reason for a return with PWCC."

it also matters because if the card shows no signs of chemical cleaning and we are only going on assumption of wrongdoing it does not meet a burden of proof in my mind to start a coup. If you have insider knowledge of what took place could you reveal without sources the method you were told cleaned this card or if you were just told it was cleaned in an untoward way?

If proof exists that is concrete and physical that other than natural items were used, than I think it would weigh my opinion heavily.

I have an opinion of how this was done in my mind also, but I do not have proof of it and it would be impossible to prove unless the person who did it admitted fully. I am also in a quandary as to if I feel it is wrong as it is a common practice in other hobbies and does not involve direct contact with any chemical.
Good points. On a side note, unfortunately return polices don't mean to much on ebay these days. Sadly, the buyer will always "win" if the seller accepts returns. Good old ebay. :/

Lastly, I would feel sick if I had bought this card knowing the history. We're all different but, I would be upset.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:41 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrm1977 View Post
Good points. On a side note, unfortunately return polices don't mean to much on ebay these days. Sadly, the buyer will always "win" if the seller accepts returns. Good old ebay. :/

Lastly, I would feel sick if I had bought this card knowing the history. We're all different but, I would be upset.
Well if you are buying a card for 20k+ I would expect the buyer to do some research..its not like that past sale when the card was an SGC was 10 years ago. Its Buyer beware.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Cort.ney De.Lorme

So, did we ever decide who was behind the scam here? Who won it in REA....who cracked it.....who washed it....who submitted to psa......who THAT ONE PERSON sold the card to.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:11 AM
Dan Bl@u

Last edited by Bliggity; 02-16-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodunit View Post
So, did we ever decide who was behind the scam here? Who won it in REA....who cracked it.....who washed it....who submitted to psa......who THAT ONE PERSON sold the card to.
I think it was colonel mustard did it with the candle stick in the 3rd floor bathroom .
Old 02-16-2017, 09:36 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I would not call it a scam, its a legit graded psa 7 card.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Cort.ney De.Lorme

So, you don't think that buying an SGC 50 in REA, cracking it, cleaning it and then submitting raw to PSA is a scam? You also don't think that selling (as being the same person) a card privately for 75K without revealing such information (disclosure) is a problem? Now, as someone with more than a 3rd grade education, I find that hard to believe.

Last edited by Whodunit; 02-16-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I would not call it a scam, its a legit graded psa 7 card.
It's fraud to sell an item without disclosing a known material fact. It's the same as lying. You're a lawyer, you know that. Are you seriously saying it's not material that the card came out of an SGC 50 and was worked on before being graded a 7 by PSA?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-16-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
So, you don't think that buying an SGC 50 in REA, cracking it, cleaning it and then submitting raw to PSA is a scam? You also don't think that selling (as being the same person) a card privately for 75K without revealing such information (disclosure) is a problem? Now, as someone with more than a 3rd grade education, I find that hard to believe.
point is some like to out auctions such as these...point out evidence that proves foulplay is occurring...we all squawk about it for a spell...auction house owner comes on the board with a declaration stating everything is on the up and up...in this case even the brash consigner states his case...the auction ends and we all move on.

this hobby is full of crooks...littered with them...way more crooks than honest joes in this hobby. some have paid a price but the majority continue to flourish here there and everywhere.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Cort.ney De.Lorme

To further that argument Peter, regarding not disclosing material facts, make sure that he knows that we know who won it in REA, who cracked it, who graded it raw by PSA and who sold it to the "first" buyer (as a private sale). There have been 4 owners in a PSA holder: 1) the "person" who bought it from REA and worked on it, 2) the person he sold it to, 3) John Perez via Goldin Auctions and now 4) the winner of Brent's auction. I wouldn't put it past Brent to have won the card himself just to get that cert # off of the mkt. Quite frankly, I've got some pretty juicy texts, emails, spreadsheets,etc. from the "man himself" regarding this card. It will surely be fun to see some of his guys (I was one of them for a long time) come to his defense. If you noticed early on in this thread, he defended this card 3 days into the auction, monitors this board tirelessly (told me to stay away from it {the board}..........."I've got it handled"), yet slipped away like a thief in the night when facts start divulging about who actually had factual and material information about the card from the point of its coming out of REA. He left John hanging high and dry when the rubber hit the road.

Last edited by Whodunit; 02-16-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Ben North

Quote:
To further that argument Peter, regarding not disclosing material facts, make sure that he knows that we know who won it in REA, who cracked it, who graded it raw by PSA and who sold it to the "first" buyer (as a private sale). There have been 4 owners in a PSA holder: 1) the "person" who bought it from REA and worked on it, 2) the person he sold it to, 3) John Perez via Goldin Auctions and now 4) the winner of Brent's auction. I wouldn't put it past Brent to have won the card himself just to get that cert # off of the mkt. Quite frankly, I've got some pretty juicy texts, emails, spreadsheets,etc. from the "man himself" regarding this card. It will surely be fun to see some of his guys (I was one of them for a long time) come to his defense. If you noticed early on in this thread, he defended this card 3 days into the auction, monitors this board tirelessly (told me to stay away from it {the board}..........."I've got it handled"), yet slipped away like a thief in the night when facts start divulging about who actually had factual and material information about the card from the point of its coming out of REA. He left John hanging high and dry when the rubber hit the road.
Please share some of these facts and including the juicy texts, emails, spreadsheets, from whoever the man himself is.

You should also follow the forum rules and put your real name somewhere.

Last edited by bnorth; 02-16-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Closed Thread