NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default Help Identifying a few 1940's issues

Posted By: Eric

I'm looking for scans and information on the following three issues. Any help would be greatly apprciated!

1945 Arsenal Gum Co.
1945 Baltimore International League
1944 W523 Baseball Drawing's

Old 10-30-2005, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have recently changed my collection to include issues up to 1949 so these would be of interest to me too.. I think some of the '40's esoteric issues are neat..Hopefully someone like Richard L can help us......best regards

Old 10-30-2005, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

That's Chuck, from the late 1940's Acebo set.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Hey Leon~

I did the same thing about two years ago, expanding my collection from 1900-1939, to 1900-1949. For the sake of my checkbook, it won't expand any further! ; )

I got into 40's cards because the decade includes alot of small and rare issues. I'm also fascinated with cards produced during the height of WW II (you'd be surprised at how many sets were made from 1942-1945). The sets I listed above are one's I've heard of, but not actually seen. I was hoping someone might be able to help..but as there haven't been any responses yet, I kinda get the feeling they're very rare (if they exist).

Paul~ I've seen the Acebo's before, they're Cuban if I'm not mistaken. What do you know about the set?

Thanks guys,

E.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick

Acebo cards are kind of small, they came with matches.

I talked to an older gentleman who remebers baseball cards that came with matches, probably these ones.

I doubt anyone has a complete set.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I've always liked the tougher oddballs, regionals and test-issues from all years. The 1970s Kellogs 3-Ds are cool, if not rare.

Old 10-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Thanks Rick..Acebo's are Cuban, aren't they?

Old 10-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Administrator

they are cuban...but they are post war.

maybe 48-52..i dont think there is an exact realease date.

all cuban cards are fairly rare..but this ones are pretty common for cuban cards.

A common card ( no Major leaguers, or negro leaguers) in VG condition should be worth around 5 bucks. Not bad for a type set.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Administrator

david

when i show my baseball cards most non collectors never care much a regular topps card.

I have one beat up 1957 swift neat cards that everyone loves.

here is a lifted scan from the PSA set registry

Old 11-01-2005, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

How does a perforated card get a 9? It's obviously been removed from whatever it was originally attached to. All those fuzzy knobs really make it hard for me to believe you can grade something like that a 9.

Jay

I'm incompetent at being incontenent.

Old 11-01-2005, 03:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Acebos are from 1949-50. They can be found with at least 7 different back variations. There are several collectors with complete sets.

The population, card by card, varies greatly within the set. From what I have noticed there are certain cards that must have been short-printed, or perhaps were only printed with 1 or 2 of the back variations, while others were triple or quadruple printed.

The 2 key cards are Ray Dandridge and Chuck Connors, both of which fall into the short-printed category. There are also many Negro Leaguers like Quincy Trouppe, Max Manning, Lennie Pearson, etc.

By American standards they'd be pretty rare, but by Cuban standards they're not particularly difficult, except for the short-printed ones. They are not common or easy, though.

What IS rare, by any standards, are the 8x10 photographic premiums. Each card can be found in an Acebo premium using the same image that is pictured on the card. As rare as those are, there is at least one complete set. I have only one example in my personal collection.

Hope this helps.

-Ryan

Old 11-01-2005, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Jay:

The 1957 Swift Meat cards were attached to one another. The set was a set of eighteen, issued in three panels of six cards attached to one another. Since the set was intended to be separated [as opposed to kept together] - a perforated single is often what you will end up with. That being said - this set is often found in the complete set form, many times with the original mailing envelope and game board.

Of course - many contemporaneous collectors simply removed the body parts and put the players back together, so to speak. There is a gentleman at the Ft. Washington show that has a bucket of the assembled player available for a few bucks each.

Grading, as always is subjective - and there are numerous post-war issues that were perforated and separated...

Now, how you grade a MINT, versus NM/MT versus GEM MINT perforation is an entire different thread of silliness that I shall not broach here.

~ms

Old 11-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the insight Ryan. I regularly see a Cuban issue on Ebay that's accredited to 1943. Do you know which one I'm talking about?

Old 11-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Probably the most common of all pre-Castro Cuban cards. Again, still rare compared to American issues. The set is all Cuban amateur players, although many went on to play in the professional Cuban League. Some even played in the majors like Sandalio Consuegra and Conrado Marrero.

This is another set that has huge variations in population, card by card. There are about 160 cards that are very easy and about 80 cards that are very difficult.

I haven't made it a point to study the issue in much detail, but I've wondered if perhaps they were printed with 80 cards on each sheet and then something happened during the printing of the 3rd sheet. That might explain the variance in scarcity within the set.

Even though it's relatively common, many collectors like this set due to how colorful the cards are.

-Ryan

Old 11-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Do not exist.

Trust me on this

Rich