NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-06-2022, 05:14 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Ask Your TPG Questions Here, A Repository...

So many of us have specific questions regarding what third party graders (TPG) do or do not do, etc., so it's time to establish a 'repository' (if you will) to compile answers to such questions. The purpose of this thread will be to allow collectors (over time) to have a stockpile of information readily available at their fingertips.

There are a boatload of net54 members who regularly have cards graded and are very knowledgable with regards to many (or all) of the aspects involved in the grading process, so I ask that you help your fellow members out when you can.

***Simple Rules***
1. Ask specific questions that (hopefully) have specific answers.
2. Don't get involved in debates over which TPG is 'better' than other ones. No need for that here.
3. Share your knowledge!! Even if you want to post general thoughts about questions that haven't been asked yet, but you know are pertinent, please do so.
4. No masks required.

So start asking your questions!!

I'll kick it off...

1. Does SGC grade 'wrong back' cards? And if so, do they give the card a number grade, or is just marked as 'Authentic'?

2. Does PSA grade 'wrong back' cards?

3. How does PSA's reholdering service work with regards to a cracked slab? If I submit a card in a cracked slab, does the fee include them examining the card to ensure it wasn't damaged when the slab became broken/cracked, and then reholdering it? Or is there more involved (assuming the card was NOT damaged)?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:44 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

1989 Fleer - [Base] #130.1 - Tom Brookens (Mike Heath Back) [PSA 8.5 NM‑MT+]
Courtesy of COMC.com

AFAIK, the only wrong backs PSA will grade are those that are officially checklisted.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-07-2022, 11:36 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

I don't know if this question meets your criteria but what I would like to ask PSA is why when a card from one set is added to the checklist for a players Master registry set, ALL cards from that set are not added to ALL the player checklists for ALL the players in that set.

For example the Mantle Master set registry checklist has a 1959 Dad's Cookies card listed. While the Kaline card from the same Dad's set is NOT included on Kaline's checklist for his Master set registry.

Makes no sense to me.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:45 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Wrong Back

I don't have any answers, but don't want to miss the chance to show this "wrong back".

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1652009968
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1652009972
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1941PlayBallCase-WrongBack-2456Front.jpg (85.4 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg 1941PlayBallCase-WrongBack-2456Back.jpg (72.4 KB, 367 views)
Old 05-08-2022, 07:43 AM
Larry More.y

SGC does, or at least used to, grade wrong backs...here is mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91jg.jpg (190.2 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg jgb.jpg (194.7 KB, 361 views)
Old 05-08-2022, 08:18 PM

My question: How do you assign a declared value to a card being submitted when you don't know the grade it'll be assigned? I have a high end card sitting in a Global GAI 7 holder. Should have gotten it converted years ago but didn't. Want to do it now. There is a very big difference in declared value between the card coming back a PSA 5 and it coming back a PSA 7, not to mention a very big difference in submission cost between a 5 and 7. Don't want to pay thousands of $$ for a declared 7 and have it come back a 6. How do you do this accurately?
Old 05-09-2022, 05:47 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
My question: How do you assign a declared value to a card being submitted when you don't know the grade it'll be assigned? I have a high end card sitting in a Global GAI 7 holder. Should have gotten it converted years ago but didn't. Want to do it now. There is a very big difference in declared value between the card coming back a PSA 5 and it coming back a PSA 7, not to mention a very big difference in submission cost between a 5 and 7. Don't want to pay thousands of $$ for a declared 7 and have it come back a 6. How do you do this accurately?
Declared value is simply them asking you what you value the card at when you submit it. Think of it as being used for insurance purposes while the card is in their possession. If the card were to be lost in the mail or somehow damaged while in their hands, what $ do you need for it to make you whole? If you have figured the value "wrong" for purposes of the fee to grade it, I know PSA has no problem upcharging people, and does this on the regular. I would assume SGC does the same. But I don't think the declared value should be used to guess what you think they are going to grade your card.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:49 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

John was kind enough to offer some insight on the reholdering question (in a different thread), so I copied and pasted it here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
It's up to their discretion whether or not the crack is symptomatic of the card either being damaged or swapped out. If they deem no damage or swap possibility, then they reholder with the original grade. If they believe there is a chance the card is damaged/swapped, they'll likely email you to get your permission to crack it out, regrade (with new submission costs), and likely regrade the card. I don't know whether or not the Grade Guarantee would apply to a slab they consider damaged, and whether you'd get cut a check for the difference if they come in lower.
Your best bet is to take them to an on-site grading location like the National, and discuss it with the employees before submitting.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:25 AM
Mark

When will TOG stop calling them "Scrapps Tobacco" (which never existed and been proven wrong) and correctly label them H.G. Smith & Co.?
More importantly, will they correct and relabel old slabs?
Old 05-10-2022, 07:22 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
More importantly, will they correct and relabel old slabs?
If you can convince them, and pay for a reholder.