NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 AM

Default Oscar Charleston uniform # info?

Hello, all. New to the forum.

I'm just wondering if, among all the vintage scorecards and photos forum members possess, if there's anything that indicates what Oscar Charleston's uniform number was as a member of the Pittsburgh Crawfords or the Homestead Grays.

All I've seen is the pretty well-known photo of Charleston wearing #40 as the manager of the Indianapolis Clowns in 1954.

I've asked around among a number of experts on the Negro Leagues who were unable to help.

Any help that can be provided is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 08-09-2010, 10:25 AM

I've got an old scorebook that shows him as #3 in both 1930 and 1931 while with Homestead.

Rob M.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:35 AM

Great! Thanks so much, Rob! Just finished reading Phil Dixon's book on the '31 Grays, so this is really, really appreciated.

It would be interesting to see if he kept that number with the Crawfords upon joining them in '32. Certainly as the manager and premier player, he would've been able to choose.

Thanks again. If anybody has any info on Charleston's number with the Crawfords, I'll be grateful for your assistance.

Dave
Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 PM

Whoops! That 3 was his position. Now I'm red faced. Sorry Dave. Thanks for the PM.

Rob
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Jim VB

I have a magazine from 1934 that shows several pictures of Charleston. Unfortunately, neither shows his number.

Last edited by Jim VB; 08-09-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Whoops! That 3 was his position. Now I'm red faced. Sorry Dave. Thanks for the PM.

Rob
No worries, Rob! Thanks again for looking into it. Hopefully there will be something out there.

Dave
Old 08-10-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
I have a magazine from 1934 that shows several pictures of Charleston. Unfortunately, neither shows his number.
Great program and photos!