NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Default Vintage Baseball Card Wiki

Posted By: Matt

Spinning off an idea from a few different threads, instead of making our own dictionary of issues with information about issue dates, most difficult cards, counterfeit detection, etc. perhaps it would be best if we use the pre-existing framework of wikipedia for this purpose and as such, our forum will make a significant contribution to the hobby. To that end, I spent a minute this morning getting the ball rolling by creating a horribly crude (someone who knows something about T213s, please update it!) start of a T213 page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T213

All that is needed to update it is to create a wiki login, which doesn't even need an email address - just a username and password. Anyone can create pages for any issue - just search for that issue and if no page exists (I believe only T206s have a page right now) you will have a link that says "Start this page."

Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Brian and I are currently working on a new look for this forum. It will have everything it has today plus the "archives" section we have been talking about. I would expect things like this T213 debate/info to be in it. It will be "read only" but we will be very open to adding to it as info becomes available. If anyone wants to do wiki too that is good also. As this is Brian's and my 2nd job (so to speak) it doesn't always go at the speed of light. You will probably see a common interface among the pages and a single row of icons going from left to right, across the page. It should make the navigating easier and allow folks that might have missed a section of the forum previously to readily see it/them. I have a prototype but don't care to roll it out yet as it's very crude. regards

Old 12-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Oops - I didn't mean to step on your toes leon!!
If you would consider the wiki, I think it has two benefits:
1) it is in a place that non-board members would look for the information so it is helpful to more people.
2) since we can all contribute at any time, it would relieve much of the burden from you and Brian of creating and organizing the web pages.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Wiki is a great way to go.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Administrator

No worries in trying to help the hobby anyway we can. I certainly have no issue with wiki... Brian and I will be doing a Net54 archives regardless of anything else. It's all good.....I use wiki for many factual things. (never have posted but go there often) ...regards

Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Guys - don't be afraid to edit - it's just like editing a post on this forum - you just click on edit and then add or change whatever you see fit. Don't worry if you don't use the proper "wiki" format or tags or that stuff - it seems someone always comes around to fix all that up afterwards.

Someone really should edit the T213 listing as it's woeful right now...

Old 12-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator

I think it will be much better when we have a Net54 archive. Like I say, nothing against wiki, but I won't be going there to look for vintage baseball card info.....There are many changes taking place on our little forum and the archives is only one of them. More to be announced soon.....regards

Old 12-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator

leon - I'm not sure what your last post has to do with my request to have someone edit the T213 page, unless you're trying to discourage that, but you say you're not...

Old 12-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator

You are asking folks to update the wiki site after it's been up a few hours. That is fine but you seem to be rushing it a little. I am NOT discouraging using that site or ANY site, for that matter. I was only saying that I don't go there for most of my vintage card info and I doubt I will in the future. If the entire world wants to, then that is fine and wonderful....no qualms here...It's all good... As I said before I use wiki all of the time for other stuff, though I have never posted on it...regards

Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

To clarify, though I love wikipedia I was refering to a general wiki system. I think if we had an archive area that was editable it would be nice.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Maybe we can do that but we will need to think about how? I am all for having a great archives on the board. I am also all for having it be "updatable".....Like I say, we are in the middle of a pretty big upgrade to the front page layout....which will include a place for an archives. After we get that done we can hone in on the archives to do it the best way we can figure out. I think we have always been very open to change when it's for the better......regards

Old 12-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Dan - I don't believe the vision that leon has would allow public editing of the per-issue content, which is exactly why it is going to be painful/slow for leon and Brian to maintain.

Leon - if you thought I was rushing it, then why not respond with that - instead of responding multiple times about what you and Brian are working on and how you won't ever use wiki? Also, can we have clarification on "I think it will be much better when we have a Net54 archive?" What will be better?

Old 12-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator

For the moment I am finished with this discussion....have a good one...

Old 12-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Administrator

My previous post was written before your response (corssed in cyberspace). The point is that if we all agree that per-issue content edited by the board members is desired, why not use the existing framework of wikipedia to provide that? Instead of linking to your own internal pages, you can link to the wiki pages for each issue. This way you won't have to maintain all those pages and the framework already exists for editing. I'm trying to be helpful.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gil Maines

What are the advantages of this proposed new approach over what is currently offered by Old Cardboard and Vintage Card Prices?

An extended narrative description? Other?

Old 12-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

As we find out more and more information about each issue (see the T213 thread) we can update the entry so it is current; theoretically, this is possible on OldCardboard as well for example, but the editor would have to do daily or weekly sweeps of our forum and update each page accordingly; if done in wiki format since it is open for all to edit they would have a lot more help in that job. Additionally, information that is often discussed on this board, such as most difficult cards in an issue and ways to detect counterfeits for an issue would be included.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gil Maines

There is much information which is not currently organized by subject (card set) from sources such as our forum, but also from Trader Speaks, VCBC, Old Cardboard Magazine, Beckett Vintage, the Old Judge, and a host of additional sources. I agree that a centralized depository for information and reference article citations would enhance the understanding of our hobby.

Do you think that a "free for all" approach to the assembly of this information is preferable to a volunteer (individual or group) librarian/curator?

Old 12-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Gil - I wouldn't think so from a theoretical standpoint, but in seeing how well Wikipedia was worked based on that model, I now think it would be the best approach for us.