NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Scott Russell

Default A Modest Proposal

Have mentioned this idea to a number of friends and thought I'd get more thoughts here. Not that I'm in a position to do anything about it, but what does everything think of the concept:

PSA institutes a bad actor clause. If over 10% (we can dicker over what the correct % should be) of your bulk submission is altered they keep the money as penalty for being a bad actor and you get ALL the cards back ungraded, AND you are banned from further submissions.

This was inspired by the submissions where nearly half the cards were altered but they graded the other half anyway.

If this policy was used it would certainly put a major dent in the profitability of the card doctors. It might also discourage others from submitting on their behalf.

Is it fool proof, no. However getting NO cards from a submission graded destroys the profitability curve. If you're counting on getting half your doctored cards through grading, but instead keep getting massive submissions returned (assuming you haven't run out of false identities to submit them under) I don't know how you would turn a profit. Yet if you submit in less than bulk quantities you are easier to catch and also slower to profit.

Also allows PSA to keep the money from the doctors. Yes it will dry up eventually as they are driven out of business, but shouldn't that be a good thing in the long run?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-07-2019, 12:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I like parts of it, but not all...

1. Sending the ungraded cards back to the card doctors? Not a good idea, as they will inevitably turn up elsewhere. This doesn't fix that major problem. The cards would need to be marked or tagged in some way, and the submitting public likely won't go for that.

2. Card doctors will find another stooge to submit them, once they are returned. They will always find other people to do the dirty work.

3. Why are so many still relying on PSA to fix this? They've proven countless times that they cannot effectively detect alterations. Let's stop relying on their self-appointed "expertise".

Last edited by perezfan; 08-07-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:42 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Have mentioned this idea to a number of friends and thought I'd get more thoughts here. Not that I'm in a position to do anything about it, but what does everything think of the concept:

PSA institutes a bad actor clause. If over 10% (we can dicker over what the correct % should be) of your bulk submission is altered they keep the money as penalty for being a bad actor and you get ALL the cards back ungraded, AND you are banned from further submissions.

This was inspired by the submissions where nearly half the cards were altered but they graded the other half anyway.

If this policy was used it would certainly put a major dent in the profitability of the card doctors. It might also discourage others from submitting on their behalf.

Is it fool proof, no. However getting NO cards from a submission graded destroys the profitability curve. If you're counting on getting half your doctored cards through grading, but instead keep getting massive submissions returned (assuming you haven't run out of false identities to submit them under) I don't know how you would turn a profit. Yet if you submit in less than bulk quantities you are easier to catch and also slower to profit.

Also allows PSA to keep the money from the doctors. Yes it will dry up eventually as they are driven out of business, but shouldn't that be a good thing in the long run?
In addition to whats been said...PSA will never turn away business...they won't!
Old 08-07-2019, 12:46 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

So many issues on this for someone to take someones property. I cant see this even remotely happening.

I can see them reporting it to law enforcement who could intervene though
Old 08-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

Well, then keeping the money wouldn't be turning away business, at least not directly....

I also think a system like that would be prone to abuse by PSA, or by the graders. Got a batch to finish up grading before you head out to a hot date Friday night? Hmm... only at 50/200 cards and 10 min to go... reject reject reject, reject...… Job done! And the company still gets the fees so I won't be in trouble!

It would also punish the people who just send in a batch of cards they bought like one dealer I asked why he had a huge pile of late 50's cards graded 3-5 that he was selling for les than the grading fee. "Oh, I send them in by the hundreds, maybe thousands if I bought a big collection. I only pull out the obvious beaters. "
Or the people who just can't spot problems.. who probably should begetting help submitting or picking cards anyway.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Troy Rambo

Rather than being punitive (which you can't be really) maybe if that certain % is deemed to have been altered then all of the cards either don't get graded or all of them get the "A". Not sure any of it really has legs but bringing ideas to potentially help the hobby is a good thing!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:10 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I would hope that PSA is conscious of submitters who often submit altered cards.

However, at this point PSA should be trying to explain to us why they should be in the business of grading cards, and have the business ethics to do so. They, of course, are welcome to make their case. I would listen.

By business ethics I mean that an authenticator's model is supposed to be centered on authentication and accurate expression of authenticity. Clearly, and likely in part because it is a business, this is not the model for PSA. The Registry is an academic folly as far as that goes. You know what the essential linguistic root is of 'authenticity' and 'authentication?' The expression of the truth and facts-- does that sound like anything near what is PSA's business model and practice?

Last edited by drcy; 08-07-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
So many issues on this for someone to take someones property. I cant see this even remotely happening.

Nowhere did I suggest someone taking property. The cards are returned ungraded. Unless you were referring to the money. And you are agreeing to that penalty as a term of submitting.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 08-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by trambo View Post
Rather than being punitive (which you can't be really) maybe if that certain % is deemed to have been altered then all of the cards either don't get graded or all of them get the "A". Not sure any of it really has legs but bringing ideas to potentially help the hobby is a good thing!
OK Maybe all of them getting the "A" justifies keeping the money. I was thinking just sending them back keeps the cost down and makes it more palatable for PSA. I'm a realist and realize you can't count on PSA to volunteer to give upp all that good card doctor money.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:39 PM
pete ullman

there needs to be a risk on the part of the doctors sending in doctored cards...like permanently defacing/marking cards shown to be altered...but the problem is their detection process needs to be fullproof...which they are not.

And what if the sender didn't doctor the card themselves...should they be punished?

It's not fixable i hate to say.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Scott Russell

The risk is financial. I am trying to be practical. I don't care about punishing them I am trying to make it economically not worth it for them. That will eliminate cheaters FASTER than the threat of legal or other repercussions or Mastro would've scared everyone straight. But if you could create a model where they don't make a profit I think they move on much more quickly.

I would also argue that the detection process has to improve LESS with my model. The submissions that inspired the idea were HALF REJECTED. By that stick it doesn't matter if the half they passed were also altered as they wouldn't have been graded.

I've submitted the very occasional doctored card. I think I had two in a bulk submission once. I haven't doctored a card since I recolored some 1971's when I was 11, not knowing in 1983 that it was a bad thing to do. You set the threshold where the accidentally submitted alterations don't result in the repercussions.

I think there are definitely issues with the idea, but I actually think it addresses your concerns quite well.

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-07-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post

Why would they report it to law enforcement? It is certainly not illegal to do anything you want to a card you own. And merely submitting an altered card to a grading company is not illegal either. Many innocent people over the years have submitted cards to the grading companies that have come back as altered or unauthentic. In fact, that is one of the reasons that people submit a card to a TPG, to double check and make sure whether it is authentic/altered or not, because that is what they're paying the TPG for, to authenticate the card and give it the appropriate grade.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Scott Russell

Yes nothing illegal occurs until someone tries to represent an altered card as unaltered in a sale situation. There needs to be intent and a victim. I think PSA would be hard pressed to claim they are a victim of the card doctors.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:25 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I would prefer PSA to just authenticate and grade the cards accurately.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:39 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Why would they report it to law enforcement? It is certainly not illegal to do anything you want to a card you own. And merely submitting an altered card to a grading company is not illegal either. Many innocent people over the years have submitted cards to the grading companies that have come back as altered or unauthentic. In fact, that is one of the reasons that people submit a card to a TPG, to double check and make sure whether it is authentic/altered or not, because that is what they're paying the TPG for, to authenticate the card and give it the appropriate grade.
right, not saying the submitter is getting arrested, but that law enforcement may be notified. There could be an active investigation and if a grouping of 50 cards have 50 altered ones (all with stated value over $1000), you can see why that may get reported.

Maybe there may be questions about where the submitter got the card from law enforcement etc
Old 08-07-2019, 04:51 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
I would prefer PSA to just authenticate and grade the cards accurately.
I'm more of a pragmatist.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

I'm not a card guy, but one thought I had was...

Maybe to combat or reduce bad-actors, PSA and other TPGs can be convinced to make general SUBMISSION information public, like;

John Doe Cards August 7, 2019 350 Cards Submitted 242 Found to Be Altered

and then LET THE MARKETPLACE DO WHAT IT WILL with John Doe Cards. PSA (TPGs) must do a good job registering and verifying every submission and submitter.

Would making this information public dissuade legitimate collectors and dealers from submitting cards? I don't think so.
Would it temper the crooks and card doctors from submitting? I think so.
Would it damage or hinder PSA's business? I don't know. They could still holder the altered cards, but it would give their collector base more knowledge and confidence.

Last edited by Robbie; 08-07-2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Clarify my message
Old 08-07-2019, 05:38 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Your proposal is predicated on the TPG being able to detect the altered cards. If they can detect a significant percentage in a submission I think the submission should be pulled and directed to a separate group that does a more detailed review of the cards.There would be an additional expense for the TPG to support this forensic group, but they might recover this via modestly higher grading fees, or simply from increased user confidence in the product.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:09 PM
Scott Russell

Well they've proven, even in the midst of the scandal that they can spot a LOT of altered cards. That's why the key is to establish the threshold percentage. Again this was inspired by submissions where they rejected a ton of the cards, yet graded the remainder. To me if you then flag the rest of the submission for closer examination you are still rewarding the card doctors. Once you hit that percentage, BAM your cards are returned ungraded and you are banned. No need to waste more time on them, you are a bad actor and your entire submission is suspect.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:25 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Then what do you do about all their previous submissions? Track down the current owners for reviews that would kill your profit?

PSA can't do this work or they'd put themselves out of business, IMO. If the 11,000 cards revealed by using their Cert system get recalled, they're on the hook for a lot more than the ~$2 million in found altered cards already (for less than 500 visibly altered).
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Scott Russell

I'm not trying to solve past problems that's in the hands of law enforcement. I am trying to prevent future problems.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:33 PM
John Wondowski

Quote:
I'm not trying to solve past problems that's in the hands of law enforcement. I am trying to prevent future problems.
Start your new TPG. I'm rooting for you!

Last edited by wondo; 08-07-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:40 PM
Scott Russell

LOL I appreciate it but it was never mine, I was asked to join someone who was in a position to start one. I'm hoping he follows through, but I think the start-up and marketing costs are daunting.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:42 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Scott, I think it's an interesting thought but see the problems others have mentioned. As to the doctors, they would just submit more clean cards with their altered cards, to keep their altered ratio sufficiently low. It would cut into their profit margin, but it might also increase the chance of them slipping their altered cards through.

Here's the solution you seek: Team up with a few other high-integrity people in the hobby, get with some tech people who can perfect a system using black light, infrared light, X-ray, etc. that can reveal modern substance on old cards, differences in materials (coloring,) differences in density (built-up corners,) perhaps a micrometer to test for thickness uniformity, and so on.

Then start a business that can perform these tests and perhaps others, and offer this service to collectors for about the same fees the current TPG charge. But, here's the big difference - you don't offer any opinion on grade. Just pure authenticity.

When I get my oil changed, I am given a checklist describing exactly what was done. They don't say, "Your car is problem-free," which could cause them issues later, if they missed anything. They instead tell me that the oil and filter were changed, certain specific fluids topped off, tire air pressure, etc.

So, this new authentication company does the same. Describe what tests are being done, give the digital results of those tests, retain detailed scans of every card that is evaluated for future reference (like, if it comes back in someday, altered,) and leave it at that. No opinion, no grade given, and therefore no conflict of interest, no potential favorable treatment, etc.

Have a couple cards handy that have been altered, and at the start of each day, run those cards through the process to verify the machines are giving the same readings they gave yesterday (to be sure the machines are working properly.)

While testing the capability of the technology available, look into whether or not a "quick review" process could be applied to cards already slabbed. It would not be able to test card thickness, and would thus be more limited, but it might still be possible to spot other things without having to crack the cards out. I do not know what is/isn't possible.

Scott, come up with a business plan like that, choose your partners well, form an LLC, and I'll bet a lot of people here would be interesting in investing; I know I would.

Current TPG companies are not the solution. A new, objective, transparent company/process is what is needed, to identify past and future altered cards. Leaving the whole grading aspect out of it would eliminate a ton of problems.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:47 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Scott, I think it's an interesting thought but see the problems others have mentioned. As to the doctors, they would just submit more clean cards with their altered cards, to keep their altered ratio sufficiently low. It would cut into their profit margin, but it might also increase the chance of them slipping their altered cards through.

Here's the solution you seek: Team up with a few other high-integrity people in the hobby, get with some tech people who can perfect a system using black light, infrared light, X-ray, etc. that can reveal modern substance on old cards, differences in materials (coloring,) differences in density (built-up corners,) perhaps a micrometer to test for thickness uniformity, and so on.

Then start a business that can perform these tests and perhaps others, and offer this service to collectors for about the same fees the current TPG charge. But, here's the big difference - you don't offer any opinion on grade. Just pure authenticity.

When I get my oil changed, I am given a checklist describing exactly what was done. They don't say, "Your car is problem-free," which could cause them issues later, if they missed anything. They instead tell me that the oil and filter were changed, certain specific fluids topped off, tire air pressure, etc.

So, this new authentication company does the same. Describe what tests are being done, give the digital results of those tests, retain detailed scans of every card that is evaluated for future reference (like, if it comes back in someday, altered,) and leave it at that. No opinion, no grade given, and therefore no conflict of interest, no potential favorable treatment, etc.

Have a couple cards handy that have been altered, and at the start of each day, run those cards through the process to verify the machines are giving the same readings they gave yesterday (to be sure the machines are working properly.)

While testing the capability of the technology available, look into whether or not a "quick review" process could be applied to cards already slabbed. It would not be able to test card thickness, and would thus be more limited, but it might still be possible to spot other things without having to crack the cards out. I do not know what is/isn't possible.

Scott, come up with a business plan like that, choose your partners well, form an LLC, and I'll bet a lot of people here would be interesting in investing; I know I would.

Current TPG companies are not the solution. A new, objective, transparent company/process is what is needed, to identify past and future altered cards. Leaving the whole grading aspect out of it would eliminate a ton of problems.
Aaaaaand... you forgot to mention that this will be a money losing endeavor that will result in quick bankruptcy!!
Old 08-07-2019, 07:47 PM
John Wondowski

Quote:
LOL I appreciate it but it was never mine, I was asked to join someone who was in a position to start one. I'm hoping he follows through, but I think the start-up and marketing costs are daunting.
I hear ya, but that's my point. We see a "better" way, but we want someone else to bear the cost while we stand on our soapbox. Free market will determine service / price level.

Last edited by wondo; 08-07-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:53 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Aaaaaand... you forgot to mention that this will be a money losing endeavor that will result in quick bankruptcy!!
How much would machines like that cost? Some on this board have been using black lights on their personal collections for years. If a good plan was put together I'd sure want to get in on it with an investment. Start-up costs wouldn't be huge but the potential upside sure would be!
Old 08-07-2019, 07:54 PM
DR
David R@tliff

As of right now, I don't believe enough people are willing to pay for reliability in grading. PSA would never do this because it would cost them revenue, and the overwhelming number of collectors wouldn't be willing to pay more for the security.

I like where your thoughts are, but the economics just don't add up until there's some sort of "technology" element that makes it better AND cheaper.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I like both ideas!

Scott - The idea would certainly leave the marketplace moving forward in better shape than it is in now - even with some of the pointed out "loopholes" and "imperfections". Far from perfect - but a large improvement.

Mark - The only weakness I see in your plan is the lack of numeric grading - There are too many in the marketplace that use the numeric grades as competition to be the best (think set registry and "buy the holder not the card) - take the numeric grading away and you lose that competitive factor which I believe is the one point of differentiation that has PSA so far ahead of the other grading companies. So, keep the numeric grading - add all of the other points of scrutiny.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:34 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Well it wouldnt be hard to get an 'extra sticker' that says that a 5k card or more past sales search was done to see if any possible altered card. The search can name all of the searches and name all the websites/auction etc that would check

I chose 5k as an arbitrary number
Old 08-08-2019, 09:19 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I don't do much with TGC. I have never submitted a card directly, own a few, but will generally crack them to put into my binders.

I think the answer is a new grading company with very high standards in terms of ethics and reasonable funding. That is doable. If a credible name was associated with it and the pricing reasonable, it could catch on. There are a ton of superior marketing angles that could be employed and technology to determine trims and centering could be integrated. It could be great.

If such a company were to be founded, the existing card companies would throw everything they could at them to discredit them. It would be an absolute sh•tshow.