NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2021, 03:02 PM

Default Some Past & Present Customs - When Wade Boggs Gets Involved, Things Get Interesting!

I hope this is okay here, guys! There are some pre-war cards involved If not, please tell me and I'll remove the thread.

A while back, I was doing some spring cleaning, and ran across these gems - they are believed to be my first ever custom cards! How'd I do? Apparently 12 year old Tanner left 41 year old Tanner an Easter egg that I didn't notice until now. Check the copyright on the Sosa LOL

As the years progressed, I got a bit better, and found myself creating cards like crazy for my own collection. Eventually, people started commissioning me to do special pieces for their collections, and as gifts for others. I wanted to share a few here that I've done over the past few years, and the past few days, with a few stories on each!

Starting off with a custom wood Canseco booklet. I've never seen a wood booklet before, and wouldn't have thought about it, had a guy in Canada not stolen my single regular paper stock Canseco. I figured instead of just redoing it, I would really amp it up. The patch is from a jersey worn by Jose (of course!)

Speaking of wood, this next one is a custom I created a while back also. For YEARS, I've wanted a wooden triple threads patch card of Canseco for my collection. When they finally made a wood 1/1 of his, the relics were bat pieces. I *LOVE* that card, but I just had to do my own. Here it is! Note the logo that says "Tanner's Threads". I love doing goofy things to these cards

This next one was done for my brother in law who is writing a book about some of his relatives. One of them was "Big Jim" from the mid 1800s below, whos claim to fame was his height. My brother in law wanted a circus themed jumbo cut signature, so this is what I came up with!

Earlier this year, Jerid reached out to me with a handful of signed cards from his buddy's favorite players on the Royals...

He had me create this jumbo custom booklet for his buddy for his birthday!

Ossee's relative reached out to me with an authentic T206, and wanted me to create a jumbo custom with the card embedded in it. Here it is! (Don't hate me for the Yankees hat - it was just the closest one I had to grab for the day - Jose worn, of course!)

I'm MADLY in love with T206 cards, though I only have two in my collection (both are Cobb!) Paul Mifsud, the king of signed T206s reached out to me, and had me create these for him.

Triple T206 embedded / cut signature jumbo booklet of Hal Chase

Jumbo T206 embedded / cut signature of Ed Walsh

My favorite ... T206 embedded / cut signature of Walter Johnson.

A while back, someone sent me these pieces ...

and I created this Mantle custom booklet ...

Of course, it's no secret that aside from my Canseco cards, my favorites to do are "personal" art pieces, like the following ...

This booklet was created for the world famous Wade Boggs fanatic Robert Howell a few years back.

And this one was done for my good friend Jon!

...continued....
Old 12-06-2021, 03:02 PM

Know what I love more than creating the cards? The feedback. I created these for the son James to give to his dad. Here is how they came out ...

but I gotta say, this is my favorite pic!

I also love when people come to me wanting to do big pieces of their kids that are in sports. Here is a quad patch jumbo of superstar Alana! This was the subject of a tutorial I did a while back.

In that same vein, I just created this one this past week of Kayla. She is an *amazing* player, and the piece below is actually the largest baseball related piece I've ever done! I LOVE the lion face logo.

Since Christmas is just around the corner, I thought I'd share once again my custom Elf card that was created out of a gift bag. When I posted it online, a bunch of people asked me to create others, so I did.

A few other requests were these:

Did I mention I love creating Canseco customs for my collection? I came across this one that I did recently from years ago. It was actually featured in Beckett magazine!

Here are a couple jumbos that include a game used bat barrel and a game used bat knob, along with gold ink cut signatures. I LOVE how they turned out!

Last but not least is probably my favorite "story" - it is stories like this that makes me love doing these so much.

Wade Boggs supercollect Nathan Flemming reached out to me with an idea. He wanted to create something special for the six main Wade Boggs supercollectors. Wade agreed to be in on it as well!

Nathan sent me a game used hat, and had me cut it up, create six special jumbo pieces for the Boggs boys. Wade then allowed Nathan to send the pieces directly to him so he could sign them specially for their collections. Here is one of them!

As a side note, I always admired Boggs as a player, but seeing how he interacts with his fans post-career (he literally just told Rich, the proud owner of the Boggs Tavern Happy Birthday!), he has made me a much bigger fan of his! Since he and Jose were teammates, maybe a custom dual needs to happen
Old 12-06-2021, 04:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Those are fantastic, Tanner. Very creative. I had one custom card made years ago to memorialize meeting one of my idols with the autograph I got:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-06-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:45 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I don't like cut-down autographs, but your talent is indeniable. Like the wood Canseco the best.

I used to make my own baseball cards as a kid with cut-out magazine pictures, pen and erasure.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Those are fantastic, Tanner. Very creative. I had one custom card made years ago to memorialize meeting one of my idols with the autograph I got:

Very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I don't like cut-down autographs, but your talent is indeniable. Like the wood Canseco the best.

I used to make my own baseball cards as a kid with cut-out magazine pictures, pen and erasure.
Thanks! Which wood did you like best?

You look at these and probably think ugh....borrrring! I've already seen these on Facebook!
Old 12-06-2021, 07:29 PM
+0m J()rd@N

All I can say is 'Wow'. Those are all really cool, but especially the ones you've made for others.

Your 12 YO self would be proud.

Thanks for sharing.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 12-06-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:04 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
All I can say is 'Wow'. Those are all really cool, but especially the ones you've made for others.

Your 12 YO self would be proud.

Thanks for sharing.
What he said.

And kudos to Boggs. Another reason to like him in addition to his playing abilities and the fact that he escaped his journey to hell when he left the red menace became a Yankee.