NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2021, 02:27 PM
Mike

Cobb Dietsche fielding (PSA 3) starting to get some love $ 49,200, but still way below the T206 Green PSA 5.5 Cobb at $ 81,000. Cobb's are red hot, a lot of Detroit collectors out there.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:45 PM
J@son Per1

That’s an extremely nice 6 if you don’t mind a little surface chop. Must have been a couple of cowboys with neither one wanting to lose.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:54 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default '54 Topps 5 cent wax pack

I heard from my unopened collector pals that pack that went for $168K was won by either Marshall Fogel or Charles Merkel........and whichever was the winner, outbid the "notorious" Billionaire Nat Turner for it.

Also heard it is the only '54 Topps nickel pack ever to be graded by PSA. A true 1/1 on the PSA Registry (although I was told some GAI packs exist)
Old 12-06-2021, 03:03 PM
Bill K@sel

That's ridiculous. Pop report for PSA/SGC is 12 (which isn't that low) to go for that amount. It's a nice looking card for sure and I'm happy for whoever sold it!

I'd be willing to let my pop 19 Vic Willis Port/Old Mill (SGC2.5) go for $5K to whoever is interested! That is quite a bargain! (sarcasm included for your enjoyment).

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccre View Post
Can anyone explain this one to me??? $8,400 for this Waddell with a normal Old Mill back. That seems insane to me unless I'm missing something.
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=93493
Old 12-06-2021, 03:04 PM
Bill K@sel

Beautiful card! I absolutely love the artwork on the M110's!

Congrats!

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
I picked up two non-sports sets for fair prices.
My big get was this M110 of Lajoie.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:04 PM

Default Opposite thoughts on price

I was very happy to get both of these, but I expected to pay quite a bit more for the Cobb and quite a bit less for Mr. Bender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_93601_1_214671.jpg (8.7 KB, 634 views)
File Type: jpg item_93601_2_214672.jpg (7.4 KB, 648 views)
File Type: jpg item_93654_1_213454.jpg (8.8 KB, 647 views)
File Type: jpg item_93654_2_213455.jpg (8.0 KB, 647 views)
Old 12-06-2021, 03:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfriedm View Post
I was actually surprised by the prices of a few key cards that seemed pretty weak to me, in particular the 1933 Goudey Ruths - especially the two PSA 7s, and the 1951 Bowman Mantle rookies (it seems like the price ratio of Mantle to Mays these days is now below 2:1).
The Goudey Ruth 144 was really nice but the centering was off a little. One like it that was centered, a few Memory Lane auctions ago, went for twice that. And if this one was centered the same it too would have gotten to that amount or close to it. It's all about centering, everything else being equal....and on 7s they usually are.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:26 PM

I was merely a spectator this round, mainly trying to get some sort of comps on a few cards of mine, and I was pleased all the way around!

Here is what I was watching:

1909 T206 Cobb Green PSA 2 - $8,700
1910 E90-2 Wagner SGC 1.5 - $10,200
1915 CJ Cobb SGC 2 - $27,000
1915 CJ Jackson SGC 3 - $52,800 (I seem to get buy requests on this card weekly)

The biggest one that I was biting my nails on was the 1899 M101-1 BVG 2.5 Wagner rookie. It was low teens until later on in the last day, finally fetching $38,400. This is nearly triple what it did when it last sold in 2015, esp. when you take into account the tax paid on this vs. no tax paid back in 2015.

My M101-1 Wagner (though BVG "A") is the nicest looking copy of it I've seen, and ever since I picked it up a year or two ago, it has been that one piece that I always figured had the potential to be a chart topper of some sort. I think future sales will prove me right - it is definitely on the right path! Definitely one of those pieces when I show people, they 1) don't know what it is and 2) are shocked that such a beast exists!

While I would've been much happier with a 100k sale, I'm happy the bvg 2.5 came close to 40k. Such a cool, cool piece!

Last edited by mouschi; 12-06-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:50 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I was very happy to get both of these, but I expected to pay quite a bit more for the Cobb and quite a bit less for Mr. Bender.
Love that Cobb!
Old 12-06-2021, 03:57 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
The biggest one that I was biting my nails on was the 1899 M101-1 BVG 2.5 Wagner rookie. It was low teens until later on in the last day, finally fetching $38,400. This is nearly triple what it did when it last sold in 2015, esp. when you take into account the tax paid on this vs. no tax paid back in 2015.

My M101-1 Wagner (though BVG "A") is the nicest copy of it I've seen, and ever since I picked it up a year or two ago, it has been that one piece that I always figured had the potential to be a chart topper of some sort. I think future sales will prove me right - it is definitely on the right path! Definitely one of those pieces when I show people, they 1) don't know what it is and 2) are shocked that such a beast exists!

While I would've been much happier with a 100k sale, I'm happy the bvg 2.5 came close to 40k. Such a cool, cool piece!
Great pickups everyone. Seems like the really great stuff is as strong as ever.

I really like the M101-1 Sorting News Supplements. Not too many of each player out there. I would love to have a Young.

Your Beckett Authentic example is a great looking card, but it is kind of hard to declare it the “best” when it has been restored. I thought that one one in REA was a really nice example and is the only unaltered example that I have seen offered.

Last edited by robertsmithnocure; 12-06-2021 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:09 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The Goudey Ruth 144 was really nice but the centering was off a little. One like it that was centered, a few Memory Lane auctions ago, went for twice that. And if this one was centered the same it too would have gotten to that amount or close to it. It's all about centering, everything else being equal....and on 7s they usually are.
I didn't compare the centering between this one and the Memory Lane one closely, but then again, I'm not (yet, I hope) in the market for six-figure cards. I tend not to worry about centering as much on 1933 Goudeys (unlike T205s, where it matters immensely to me), but maybe I would if I were buying 7s.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 12-06-2021, 04:33 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Won an example of one of my favorite cards of all time...an e103 Tenny, along with a couple other e103s. This one might be handcut too! But given the premiums that are placed on Tenny nowadays, I thought this lot went fairly low.

Brian

tenny.jpg
Old 12-06-2021, 04:55 PM
Ethan

Nice group! Tenny and Wood are tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
Won an example of one of my favorite cards of all time...an e103 Tenny, along with a couple other e103s. This one might be handcut too! But given the premiums that are placed on Tenny nowadays, I thought this lot went fairly low.

Brian

Attachment 491184
Old 12-06-2021, 05:07 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfriedm View Post
I was actually surprised by the prices of a few key cards that seemed pretty weak to me, in particular the 1933 Goudey Ruths - especially the two PSA 7s, and the 1951 Bowman Mantle rookies (it seems like the price ratio of Mantle to Mays these days is now below 2:1).
Could that be because it seems every decent auction anymore has '33 Goudey Ruths, '52 Topps Mantles, '51 Bowman Mays and Mantle, and similar main cards in it, and that those that want them (and can afford the current inflated prices) already have them? If so, maybe the dealers and flippers have started to reach somewhat of a ceiling on those. Wouldn't be surprised to see that happening where there seems to be no limit to the numbers of "big" cards like these that always seem to be available for sale.

Meanwhile, maybe the focus, and higher prices, is starting to shift to the rarer, harder to find items of these players. Maybe not so much for Mantle and Mays, but definitely seems it could be the for Ruth cards. Especially since the Goudeys were so late in his career. There are tons of earlier Ruth cards for investors/flippers to look to.

Last edited by BobC; 12-06-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:14 PM

Default REA results

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Could that be because it seems every decent auction anymore has '33 Goudey Ruths, '52 Topps Mantles, '51 Bowman Mays and Mantle, and similar main cards in it, and that those that want them (and can afford the current inflated prices) already have them? If so, maybe the dealers and flippers have started to reach somewhat of a ceiling on those. Wouldn't be surprised to see that happening where there seems to be no limit to the numbers of "big" cards like these that always seem to be available for sale.

Meanwhile, maybe the focus, and higher prices, is starting to shift to the rarer, harder to find items of these players. Maybe not so much for Mantle and Mays, but definitely seems it could be the for Ruth cards. Especially since the Goudeys were so late in his career. There are tons of earlier Ruth cards for investors/flippers to look to.

I have thought the same thing regrading some of the more main steam bigger cards. I personally am one that switched my focus to the more earlier/rare cards of Ruth/Cobb. To me these are a no brainer in this market and seem grossly undervalued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by investinrookies; 12-06-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:47 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I beg to differ with exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by investinrookies View Post
I have thought the same thing regrading some of the more main steam bigger cards. I personally am one that switched my focus to the more earlier/rare cards of Ruth/Cobb. To me these are a no brainer in this market and seem grossly undervalued.

The Goudeys are THE most sought after (read - highest demand) Ruth cards and will likely remain so - heck, I would call the #144 the "poster card" of prewar gum cards. There are only ~2,000 graded (PSA and SGC combined) examples of the #144 (+ I would guess considerably less than that # raw) , which while intially may sound like a big number - pales in comparison to the demand the card has. The 3 other Goudey's have lower populations. That said, I do agree that some of his earlier issues have considerably lower populations (and at least for now considerably lower demand). To me the head scratcher is Ruth's Exhibit cards (The '21 topping the list) and Exhibit cards in general - The 25 Gehrig Exhibit gets a "demand pass" and somehow shatters the Exhibit card price mold while all the rest of the Exhibit cards are ignored? Why?

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:53 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by investinrookies View Post
I have thought the same thing regrading some of the more main steam bigger cards. I personally am one that switched to the more earlier/rare cards of Ruth. To me these are a no brainer in this market and seem grossly undervalued.

I'm the same way. I would love to pick up many cards, but am not going to pay the prices a lot of them are now going for. I will either wait till prices come back down to what I think they're worth and am willing to pay for certain cards, or not ever buy them if they don't come back down. Either way, that's fine with me. I am happy collecting on the lower end of the condition scale, and prefer raw cards, if possible. Actually feel more comfortable with the lower condition items as they would seem to be less likely to have been altered/doctored as well. I can do without overpaying for certain cards. There always seems to be other areas/items to collect from, and occasionally they can end up being a lot more interesting, at least to me.

Great examples, REA had a Ruth Feen-A-Mint mask that went for a not ridiculous amount in last night's auction. Certainly not a main stream card, but definitely a fairly rare Ruth item. And no, I did not win it last night as I was only watching it and hadn't put a bid in before extended bidding started. Kind of wished I had though, but was focused on some other items in REA. At least until until extended bidding started and I got blown out of water on pretty much everything I was interested in. LOL
Old 12-06-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure View Post

I really like the M101-1 Sorting Life Supplements. Not too many of each player out there. I would love to have a Young.

Your Beckett Authentic example is a great looking card, but it is kind of hard to declare it the “best” when it has been restored. I thought that one one in REA was a really nice example and is the only unaltered example that I am aware of.
Thanks! I should clarify that I would never crown mine as the best ... but I would say it might be the nicest looking one I've seen. I don't go after altered stuff much, but when it comes to supplements like this, I'm fine with them.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:58 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Thanks! I should clarify that I would never crown mine as the best ... but I would say it might be the nicest looking one I've seen. I don't go after altered stuff much, but when it comes to supplements like this, I'm fine with them.
I agree. There is definitely a place for restored cards and memorabilia and your M101-1 Sporting News Wagner is a perfect example of what a skilled restorer can do. Yours looks fantastic.

Last edited by robertsmithnocure; 12-06-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:01 PM
Jay

Prices were definitely stout. Seems like a lot of the goofy stuff that went nuts has come back down to earth, and the truly cool stuff is still doing great.

I got the Cy Broad Leaf 460 and T206 Honus ad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CY BL460.jpg (50.5 KB, 578 views)
Old 12-06-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I agree. There is definitely a place for restored cards and memorabilia and your M101-1 Sporting News Wagner is a perfect example of what a skilled restorer can do. Yours looks fantastic.
I appreciate it! I edited my post so it was more clear I wasn't trying to say mine was the best. That just sounds icky! 😄
Old 12-06-2021, 06:52 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206kid View Post
Prices were definitely stout. Seems like a lot of the goofy stuff that went nuts has come back down to earth, and the truly cool stuff is still doing great.

Nice pick-up in the Cy Broad Leaf 460 Jay! I bid on it a few times yesterday. Awesome card. Glad you got it.

Thanks
Chad
T215 Type 1 Red Cross Walter Johnson
1914 Texas Tommy Type 1 Walter Johnson
1923-24 Billiken Pop Lloyd
1924-25 Aguilitas #846 and #870 Pop Lloyd
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Oliver "Ghost" Marcell
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Dobie Moore
1924-25 Aguilitas #874 Dobie Moore
Old 12-06-2021, 07:02 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
The Goudeys are THE most sought after (read - highest demand) Ruth cards and will likely remain so - heck, I would call the #144 the "poster card" of prewar gum cards. There are only ~2,000 graded (PSA and SGC combined) examples of the #144 (+ I would guess considerably less than that # raw) , which while intially may sound like a big number - pales in comparison to the demand the card has. The 3 other Goudey's have lower populations. That said, I do agree that some of his earlier issues have considerably lower populations (and at least for now considerably lower demand). To me the head scratcher is Ruth's Exhibit cards (The '21 topping the list) and Exhibit cards in general - The 25 Gehrig Exhibit gets a "demand pass" and somehow shatters the Exhibit card price mold while all the rest of the Exhibit cards are ignored? Why?
Howard,

Don't disagree with you at all, but have always wondered how much of that demand was due to the old Beckett guides listing Ruth's Goudey cards as his rookie cards. For chrissakes, it was Ruth's 19th season before he finally has a rookie card?!?!?! And yes, I know their definition of a rookie card was for one included in a nationally issued set. But that entire premise was based more on Topps and Bowman card issues, which was more of the sweet spot for the collectors who had grown up in the '40s, '50s, and '60s that Beckett was primarily marketing to back in the day. Heck, nationally issued, MLB wasn't even played West of St. Louis back in the '30s so it wasn't totally national either.

And personally for me, I have always liked to collect things that maybe not everyone else is into. That's exactly why I don't really collect T206 and the '33 and '34 Goudey sets. Everyone else is into those sets, so instead, I looked at collecting T205, S74, Diamond Stars, Batter-Up, and other oddball sets and the like. But that's me. I still think that "rookie card" designation for Ruth's Goudey cards is behind a good bit of that deemed value and demand they hold in the hobby. To me, this would be like saying Mantle's '69 Topps cards are his true rookie cards, and therefore, they're way more valuable than most all of his earlier issued items, save his true rookie cards from his earliest years in the league.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:08 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
I heard from my unopened collector pals that pack that went for $168K was won by either Marshall Fogel or Charles Merkel........and whichever was the winner, outbid the "notorious" Billionaire Nat Turner for it.

Also heard it is the only '54 Topps nickel pack ever to be graded by PSA. A true 1/1 on the PSA Registry (although I was told some GAI packs exist)
Mine is a GAI 7.5 I know of at least one other GAI graded '54 dated pack.
there is a significant amount of '50's packs not in PSA holders.

Last edited by Griffins; 12-06-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:43 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Default Silly Question

When do we get the invoices?
Old 12-06-2021, 07:46 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Invoices typically come in the next day or so. Shipping is usually soon but Heritage now has a message on its website saying the are running several weeks behind on shipping.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:56 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Landed a small score. However, I feel like a big winner considering the value growth of my current collection.

The 4 on 1 Exhibits have been growing on me. They have relatively low pop count.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:57 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I actually got an email with my invoice from them at 8:53 AM this morning.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:58 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Quote:
I received mine this morning via email
Old 12-06-2021, 07:58 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
I got mine at 8:30 this morning.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 12-06-2021, 08:10 PM

Chris & Robert, thank you!

Jay, killer BL460 Young, congrats!
Old 12-06-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206kid View Post

Great pick ups Jay. That Wagner piece is awesome - let me know if you ever want to trade
Old 12-06-2021, 09:23 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
I was merely a spectator this round, mainly trying to get some sort of comps on a few cards of mine, and I was pleased all the way around!

Here is what I was watching:

1909 T206 Cobb Green PSA 2 - $8,700
1910 E90-2 Wagner SGC 1.5 - $10,200
1915 CJ Cobb SGC 2 - $27,000
1915 CJ Jackson SGC 3 - $52,800 (I seem to get buy requests on this card weekly)

My M101-1 Wagner (though BVG "A") is the nicest looking copy of it I've seen, and ever since I picked it up a year or two ago, it has been that one piece that I always figured had the potential to be a chart topper of some sort. I think future sales will prove me right - it is definitely on the right path! Definitely one of those pieces when I show people, they 1) don't know what it is and 2) are shocked that such a beast exists!

I was the underbidder on the '15 Cobb CJ. I can say (from my own perspective) that I was bidding about $7k over what I thought the value for a '15 CJ Cobb "2" was based on the eye appeal of that Cobb. I think the same can be said for that Jackson - it was a stunner for the technical grade.

I also can't agree more with you about the CJ Jacksons. I average about 5 "would you sell it" requests per month, although most of the unsolicited offers I get on mine are circa 2015 prices. Go figure!

Last edited by canjond; 12-06-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:51 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:

I really like the M101-1 Sorting News Supplements. Not too many of each player out there. I would love to have a Young.

Your Beckett Authentic example is a great looking card, but it is kind of hard to declare it the “best” when it has been restored. I thought that one one in REA was a really nice example and is the only unaltered example that I am aware of.
I agree wholeheartedly on both the National Copper Plates (actually predate the Sporting News and the real rookie) and the M101’s, these are simply gorgeous cards when seen in person in nice condition. I have each of the Wagners in my sets of these, the Copper is bound in the original booklet in near perfect condition. The Sporting News is also in strong condition but has some minor wear on close inspection. Both are entirely unaltered.

I am sure it exists, but I have not seen another national copper plate wagner at all in my 33 years of collecting.

They are my favorite sets in my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6BDB9B8A-1936-4441-A43C-B57284C8F970.jpg (7.9 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg 9DDC43A5-A328-44CD-AD64-E453F10F3D02.jpg (7.0 KB, 530 views)
Old 12-06-2021, 11:15 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
I also can't agree more with you about the CJ Jacksons. I average about 5 "would you sell it" requests per month, although most of the unsolicited offers I get on mine are circa 2015 prices. Go figure!
I had been looking for a CJ Jackson for so long. Finally was able to snag one in the Heritage auction. Figured I needed to buy now if they keep going up in price and I get priced out.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:19 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post
I agree wholeheartedly on both the National Copper Plates (actually predate the Sporting News and the real rookie) and the M101’s, these are simply gorgeous cards when seen in person in nice condition. I have each of the Wagners in my sets of these, the Copper is bound in the original booklet in near perfect condition. The Sporting News is also in strong condition but has some minor wear on close inspection. Both are entirely unaltered.

I am sure it exists, but I have not seen another national copper plate wagner at all in my 33 years of collecting.

Those are beautiful. Out of curiosity, what makes you think that the National Copper Plate Wagner predates the M101-1 Sporting News? Both were issued in 1899, correct?

I know that the National Copper Plate cards were issued 1898 and 1899 and the M101-1 Sporting News cards were issued weekly during the 1899 and 1900 seasons, but it seems as though both Wagners were issued in 1899. The M101-1 actually has the exact date of August 19, 1899 printed on it while the National Copper Plate has just 1899 noted.

There has been a National Copper Plate Wagner for what seems like years. I wish that it fit in my collecting budget.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13216270408...QAAOSwIWVY9VvV

REA also had a real nice bound near set several years ago that had a really nice Wagner in it.

Last edited by robertsmithnocure; 12-06-2021 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:21 PM
P.aul Orl,in

I was astounded at the CJ15 price in this auction. It was centered but has some big creases it seemed. Impressive. Hard to tell online all of the details on the cards.

I see fewer CJ Jacksons for sale lately, helping prices when they do come up. Great card.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:32 AM
Brad Green

Default 1933 Goudey Lefty Grove Copyright Card....

I won this lot. Pretty excited.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933_goudey_copyright_card.jpg (76.4 KB, 504 views)
Old 12-07-2021, 05:53 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
I was astounded at the CJ15 price in this auction. It was centered but has some big creases it seemed. Impressive. Hard to tell online all of the details on the cards.

I see fewer CJ Jacksons for sale lately, helping prices when they do come up. Great card.
Agreed. Usually these prices are reserved for the 1914 CJ but with the demand high, the 1914 prices going higher, and low stock it has more people looking at the 1915’s. Plus this one has nice eye appeal

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-07-2021, 06:46 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default REA 1949 Bowman Lots

If anyone on here was the winner of the either of the two 1949 Bowman lots, I would love to buy several of the cards if you are breaking up these lots for sale. Especially interested in the SGC and SCD cards. Thanks,

Tony

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?ItemId=93852

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?ItemId=93854

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it eat the dogfood
Old 12-07-2021, 06:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Landed a small score. However, I feel like a big winner considering the value growth of my current collection.

The 4 on 1 Exhibits have been growing on me. They have relatively low pop count.

1937 4 on 1 with Grove and Foxx? I thought that one went cheap.

Howard, all of the non-Goudey Ruth cards are on fire because so many are priced out of the Goudeys. I don't think any of them are going to stay under four figures for long, especially in nice shape. The Fro-Joy was a bargain at $900, which is 'only' twice the going rate for these cards before the run-up. I bought the cheapest Ruth in the auction, the Bulgaria Sport with Schmeling.

Unique or at least rare cards are going to be interesting to watch. I heard that the La Morena baseball cards including Ruth that were discovered last year would be heading to auction next year with Heritage. Gonna be quite a dog fight over those, I think (disclaimer: not mine).

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-07-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:53 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Cobb Dietsche fielding (PSA 3) starting to get some love $ 49,200, but still way below the T206 Green PSA 5.5 Cobb at $ 81,000. Cobb's are red hot, a lot of Detroit collectors out there.
I had both of those cards. Sold the Cobb fielding a few years ago, not even close to that price. Cobb green half of that price, but was happy. Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 12-07-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Those Wagners are absolutely MAGNIFICENT! My gosh, man ... not just having one ... but both ... and sets? Yowza x 1000!

Quote:
Those are beautiful. Out of curiosity, what makes you think that the National Copper Plate Wagner predates the M101-1 Sporting News? Both were issued in 1899, correct?

I know that the National Copper Plate cards were issued 1898 and 1899 and the M101-1 Sporting News cards were issued weekly during the 1899 and 1900 seasons, but it seems as though both Wagners were issued in 1899. The M101-1 actually has the exact date of August 19, 1899 printed on it while the National Copper Plate has just 1899 noted.

There has been a National Copper Plate Wagner for what seems like years. I wish that it fit in my collecting budget.

REA also had a real nice bound near set several years ago that had a really nice Wagner in it.
I think the general consensus is that Copper Plates were released before the Sporting News version, but your mention on both showing 1899 is something that frankly escaped me until you said something - great catch!

In any event, I still think that Copperplate somehow provided this artwork to Sporting News, which in turn, used it for their purposes, so mayhaps National Copperplate is a few months earlier than the Sporting News version? I don't think anyone would knock the Sporting News as being his rookie for that, though.

In any event, I would place them both as his rookie, with Sporting News being perhaps more desirable given the Sporting News pedigree, how it was released only for one day, and no holes. Maybe that's just me though, and heck, who on earth would complain about one over the other? It'd be like complaining about a Lamborghini having a slightly different shade of red
Old 12-07-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
I was the underbidder on the '15 Cobb CJ. I can say (from my own perspective) that I was bidding about $7k over what I thought the value for a '15 CJ Cobb "2" was based on the eye appeal of that Cobb. I think the same can be said for that Jackson - it was a stunner for the technical grade.

The Cobb really was a stunner! I'm with you on the Jackson offers, haha. Most are "Would you sell?" I say "Not for sale, but make an offer". The next question "What would you value it at?"
Old 12-07-2021, 10:36 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Glad to have snagged a N172 Griffith RC and the T206 Tinker Bat On, Old Mill back.
Prices were breathtaking. The 1921 Exhibit Ruth continues to shine and who knows how much higher it might head.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:54 AM
Ethan

Default Cards

Have we tricked ourselves in to thinking that certain cards are rare if they are pretty much available in every major auction offering? The only thing that has changed in recent years is the price that people are willing to pay...the cards with low populations are still available. Trade, yes...but hard to justify being a buyer for the blue chip stuff right now in my opinion...unless you sell what you have for a pile of money and then buy what you want for a pile of money.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:30 AM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:

I acquired the Wagner in that REA lot. I say it predates it because of the player selection difference in the two sets, with Anson and Hoy and others in the copper Plate and then not in the Sporting News, so I am assuming earlier players vs later players despite them being around the same time. I think you can look up the full set lists elsewhere but i could make a more thorough comparison. I think the standard catalogue shows the national copper plate as earlier. Could do more work on that!
Old 12-07-2021, 11:32 AM
Scott S

We always talk about REA's fast shipping, but the auction just ended Sunday night after midnight, and it's less than 36 hours later and the item I won is at my door. Love it!

1912 Red Sox spring training cabinet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1912 spring training cabinet.jpg (75.9 KB, 376 views)
Old 12-07-2021, 11:35 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Red Sox cabinet was a favorite in the auction, congrats!
Old 12-07-2021, 11:53 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
I acquired the Wagner in that REA lot. I say it predates it because of the player selection difference in the two sets, with Anson and Hoy and others in the copper Plate and then not in the Sporting News, so I am assuming earlier players vs later players despite them being around the same time. I think you can look up the full set lists elsewhere but i could make a more thorough comparison. I think the standard catalogue shows the national copper plate as earlier. Could do more work on that!
Hi Paul - I have a few questions for you and whoever else has interest in the M101-1 Sporting News and National Copper Plate sets, but to not hijack this REA thread, I am going to start a new thread.

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 12-08-2021 at 01:52 PM.