NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Matt

Default RYAN 70s RUN - IN PROGRESS

So I have always held the Nolan Ryan RC in highest regard when it comes Post War cards. To me, from probably 1960 onward, it is the single best card, followed immediately by the likes of Schmidt, Brett, and Rose rookies (and many others, too numerous to list here).

Ryan's records will almost certainly never be eclipsed, from his Ks to his no-hitters. This dude LED THE LEAGUE in WHIP at age 43 AND 44! Very few athletes (Mo Rivera comes to mind) go out on top like that. His reputation is sterling. Then to think the card features Koosman, who may very well be the best second face on a multi-face HOFer card after Allan Trammell. The cherry on top when it comes to the Ryan RC is how the card is usually born with horrible tilt and centering. For a horizontal card, tilt can instantly wreck eye appeal.

Growing up, the Ryan RC was always a special card to behold, and it was rare when a kid in the neighborhood had one. I remember there was an older kid down the block named John Philaramo (sp?). He used to sell us 1988 Donruss wax packs from his basement, and had a Ryan RC in a huge screw down.

I believe it was in the early 90's when Ryan's card began to really soar. I was lucky to live in an area of Brooklyn that had many, many cardshops. The 70's Ryans were both gorgeous cards and had that old vibe to them. I bought a 74, 75, 76, and 77, and they were among my favorites at the time.

Like Brett, Mantle, and Donnie Baseball-- Ryan always seems to have a good-looking card.

Now, seeing where the game has gone, how it is played, I can't help but have enormous respect for Nolan Ryan. His cards are always big guns in whatever set they appear, and it seems all those early issues are tough to find well-centered.

In fact what has been so surprising and rewarding about chasing these Ryans, is how I have found the best card can actually be much lower grade, numerically, than expected. I scoured many 70s before coming to terms with the fact that a 6 had the best eye appeal of the hundreds I'd seen. Ditto for the 73-- I found, of course, 9s with great eye appeal. But for 27 bucks, the 6 of the 73 could not be beat for value.

Anyways, here is my little run in progress. I will have to pony up for a sweet 75 or mini when one surfaces, and a nice 76 and 77 shouldn't be tough to locate. Then it's a wrap.

One of the great things I find about player runs is getting to see all the different card designs in a row.

I can definitely see a few of these below bumping a half grade or grade, if I ever decide to burn some loot on reviews. The 71 and 74 are utter head-scratchers on grade, especially. The RC is hands down the best centering I've encountered-- and I will always be in debt to Miller and our boy Dave for that one; the inner ridge of the holder obscures a sliver of the left edge on that scan.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-18-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Erik

Great run so far Matt.

One of the things that has always amazed me about Nolan Ryan is I don't ever recall him battling any injuries/arm issues. He threw harder than any other pitcher and his career lasted over 20 years which makes it even more impressive.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
Great run so far Matt.

One of the things that has always amazed me about Nolan Ryan is I don't ever recall him battling any injuries/arm issues. He threw harder than any other pitcher and his career lasted over 20 years which makes it even more impressive.

He was injured some in 1975, pitching 198 innings, down from over 300 the year before.

And Matt, cool Ryan collection. Now you just have to go after the other Ryan cards from the 70's.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
He was injured some in 1975, pitching 198 innings, down from over 300 the year before.

And Matt, cool Ryan collection. Now you just have to go after the other Ryan cards from the 70's.
Thanks David.

Still, it is quite impressive that he rarely dealt with injuries when it seems so common for many pitchers today.

By the way, my favorite Ryan card from this group is the 1971 Topps. I just love the action shot.

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 01-19-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Chris

Another beautiful run. I love looking at your posts. I always coveted the 68 Topps growing up, and it was one of the first cards I picked up when I returned to the hobby. Mine is pictured below. Not nearly the example you have, but I grabbed this before starting my Mantle run where $100-200 still seemed like a crazy price to spend on a card:

Old 01-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Matt

Wow-- looks from the scan like that auto RC has no tilt and great left right centering? Must have killer eye appeal in hand.

Really, Ryan's career will come to boggle the mind as today's elite pitchers struggle to hit the lofty 3000k plateau. I mean, nearly 6000? Daaaaaamn.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
Thanks David.

Still, it is quite impressive that he rarely dealt with injuries when it seems so common for many pitchers today.

By the way, my favorite Ryan card from this group is the 1971 Topps. i just love the action shot.
I always thought the Royal Crown in the background was somewhat prophetic perhaps.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

I love how Ryan was careful to sign around his face with the autograph on that Rookie. Very nice.
Drew
Old 01-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
I love how Ryan was careful to sign around his face with the autograph on that Rookie. Very nice.
Drew
Thanks Drew. I have never noticed that before, very interesting. And, it does not look like he hesitated at all with the signature either.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 AM

Great cards and good luck with the run!

The '77 Topps Ryan is a sweet card with a great photo. If and when a PSA 9 shows up with nice centering there's usually a fight for it, so be prepared.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Tom Boblitt

Probably my favorite player of all time.....the K record is out of control. No one will have the longevity to get that record. It's a shame he didn't pitch on some stronger teams that would give him more run support. His win total might be closer to a Maddux/Spahn number.

I work for UPS Airlines and around 1993 or so when he was finishing up, I decided to jumpseat to Dallas to watch him pitch....by myself....and then back home. The only game I ever saw live with him. I remember watching a no hitter of his by chance for the Astros I believe after turning it on on a Saturday I think.

Great Nolan cards. Another REALLY cool card is the 1971 O-Pee-Chee. It has a picture of his face in the center of the back of the card. It was a really neat one.

Love that auto. When I was in Houston for work a couple different times, I drove over to Alvin, TX where his foundation was located to drop off some stuff to be autographed HOPING I could catch him there doing it but that didn't pan out.

Great cards Matt........
Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Matt Miller

I love the colors on the 72 Topps Ryan, I have always been partial to that card. Very nice!

P.S. Love the 1 of 1 NYY Future CF
Old 01-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Matt

Tom,

That's awesome, how you were able to just go see him pitch on a whim like that. Never got to see him live myself. To think some kid would essentially have to enter the league at 22, then proceed to strikeout almost 300 guys a year for 20 straight years, until he was 42, to beat Ryan's Ks. I think that is gonna stand forever, alongside DiMaggio's 56 games.

MBM,

Glad you dug that 1 of 1, LOL! He's a southpaw so will have to throw 100mph, then maybe he gets me a Wagner with his first signing bonus. Only way I'm ever getting my hands on one
Old 01-22-2014, 05:57 PM

Great cards! I always liked the 1974 one myself....ready to bust that high heater...

Ricky Y
Old 01-23-2014, 06:36 AM
rich

strikeout almost 300 guys a year for 20 straight years

That is amazing
Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Al Richter

Default Topps 1973