NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Todd Schultz

Default What's the market like for these guys (Topps negatives from ToppsVault)

I was watching a few of these, and was wondering how popular Topps negatives are and especially Topps final negatives, like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370210493627
Old 06-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Glen R. Turner, Jr.

Default What's the market like for these guys (Topps negatives from ToppsVault)

Star goes for big bucks.
Toppsvault really knows how to make money!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:00 PM

Do any of you know what these things actually look like? They are supposed to be color negatives, which should look really horrible. The scans in all the listings look like final photos, not negatives, but there's a note in the listings that they have all been enhanced to show off the image.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Phil Garry

Paul:

Although I don't own any, my guess is that they are not very attractive and I think the prices will ultimately come down significantly with the large volume appearing on e-bay recently.

At one time, I owned a vintage negative of a Josh Gibson Winter League photo and it was so difficult to present when it came time for me to sell it that it went for a relative bargain price and that's a c1940 Josh Gibson which I don't think you can even compare to 1960's, 1970's & 1980's Topps negatives.

Just my opinion...........
Old 06-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Bob Lemke

Default They're actually positives

For the most part, the pieces that are advertised as "color negatives" are actually positive transparencies (like slides). I have bought a few Milw. Braves and the years have not been kind to the color balance on many of these historic pieces, especially those from the late 1950s and very early 1960s.

You'd be surprised, however, how fast and how well a single-click color correction can be made in a program like Photoshop after scanning the positive.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 06-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I bought one and was a victim of bait and switch. A nice, bright transparency on Ebay (from Topps Vault) was a dark mess when I got it and was also a different pose than the one I bought. I complained but the only option they gave was said to send it back as they could not send the correct one. I would have been out shipping and some other BS cost so I kept it but they really pissed me off.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 AM

Default 1958 Topps Vault Mantle/Aaron World Series Batting Foes.

I'm very pleased with mine. And even looks great in hand. Especially along side a '58 card...

1958TOPPSvaultnegative.jpg1958mantleaaron.jpg

Last edited by thekingofclout; 07-05-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:26 AM

If the image is negative it's called a negative. If the image is positive, it's called a transparency. Other than the positive/negative part, they are the same thing used for the same purpose. Some professional photographers prefer making photos from negatives, some prefer making photos from transparencies. It's a matter of personal taste.

The reason Topps calls the transparencies negatives in the titles is because they know most people haven't heard of photographic transparencies but know what are negatives. Notice in the description Topps calls them transparencies.

As a collector, I prefer transparencies because the positive images are better for looking at. Negatives might be neat as artifacts, but don't make great viewing.

Last edited by drc; 07-06-2009 at 02:05 AM.