NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 PM

Default Newbie with a jersey auto question

I put a Mantle jersey up here and it got shot down which is ok. The question I have is don't you think someone's sig would look different on one of those wool jerseys than on a picture or a ball. At shows you will see signers be real careful signing one of the old wool cooperstown jerseys. With the new smooth synthetic fiber jerseys it is different ,but the signer still is real careful. Jerseys are definitely harder to sign. Whadaya think . Signing those old wool jerseys the marker does not slide like it does on a ball or a photo. Gotta "dig in". Stretch it out
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Steve Zarelli

I think you may be engaged in wishful thinking.

A wool jersey isn't going to turn a real Mantle signature into a known and documented forgery style.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I think you may be engaged in wishful thinking.

A wool jersey isn't going to turn a real Mantle signature into a known and documented forgery style.
Ditto. I was thinking the same thing, Mr. Zipper.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

There is a difference between signing carefully on an old Jersey and drawing a signature on an old jersey
Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 PM

Forget about the Mantle jersey. I wish I would have never mentioned it.That's not what this is about. That's over.
I am asking this question about signing on different surfaces,ie wool jersey, golf ball,etc. It has to change the signature some. Degree of difficulty goes up. Please forget the Mantle. That's past tense. Live for today not yesterday.Please reply.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Show us what you are talking about.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
There is a difference between signing carefully on an old Jersey and drawing a signature on an old jersey
I am sorry. I have no idea what that means.Signing and drawing. Isaac you have taken things to a new level. Signing drawing please explain. If not for me but for anyone else that might wonder what you are talking about. Please show examples.

Last edited by shelly; 02-01-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I am sorry. I have no idea what that means.Signing and drawing. Isaac you have taken things to a new level. Signing drawing please explain. If not for me but for anyone else that might wonder what you are talking about. Please show examples.
Signing is what we all do every day, elegant flow of pen and paper, with all it's nuances, great depth and flaws. Drawing is seeing something and trying to replicate it with your eyes when a pen is your medium..

Mke sense
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

A good forger does exactly what the player would do. When it come to Wool Jerseys a lot of players could not sign them because the pen did not flow like it would l on the modern day pieces. Hence you would have a great deal of bleeding. Joe D had a signing for a limited edition Jersey. Most of them where garbage because he could not sign them well. I think he should have made a drawing instead. Just ask Jerry Remalt what that signing cost him. Joe walked.
The two best I ever saw sign where Williams and Mantle most of the older players hated signing them because they had to hesitate to keep the jersey flat and not let the pen sit to long. I am not sure how many players are Picasso or Chagall but I am sure that if the two of them had to sign a jersey they would not draw there names.

Isaac just tell me how many times have you watched a players sign jersey? Not the modern day but the old Mitchell and Ness.

Last edited by shelly; 02-02-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 PM

Thumbs up Thanks Shelly

Shelly thank you so much. I collect mostly jerseys and what you said was what I was talking about. You hit the nail on the head. Very well put and I believe everything you said. thank you very much.This isn't your first rodeo. I owe you one Shelly
Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Jersey

I used to have an account with M&N before it was cool and used to get a bunch of jerseys signed. If you spread the jersey out and held it tight, the item was easy to sign for players and it turned out perfectly. No difference in signature. Anyone who got Joe D in person knows how he could pretty much ruin any item if given the opportunity. Seems funnier now than it was then. The others guys are right on the money with the forged Mantle jersey talk. Hope this helps explain jerseys sigs.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I used to have an account with M&N before it was cool and used to get a bunch of jerseys signed. If you spread the jersey out and held it tight, the item was easy to sign for players and it turned out perfectly. No difference in signature. Anyone who got Joe D in person knows how he could pretty much ruin any item if given the opportunity. Seems funnier now than it was then. The others guys are right on the money with the forged Mantle jersey talk. Hope this helps explain jerseys sigs.
If that is a fact please tell me what happened with the jerseys now on Ebay Skips, bleeding. How many items do you think went to waste. 350552416429.300855577797,80190974271,160952016891 ,281058955902 ,28105895590.I have no idea how many people you have watched sign a wool jersey. Joe D, Mantle, Williams, Mays, you name them. Hold it down if the pen they are signing with has just a drop to much ink, ruined if they hesitate no forgiveness.
If any one on this site can tell me that when they had Joe D. sign anything for them that the what he signed was not anything but perfect I would be amazed. He might have been an awful person but when it came to him to sign it was one of the best autographs you could get. I know he would not sign certain items but I never hear of ruining something just to be mean. I would also like to say that I do not think there is a person on this site every had Joe sign a Jersey just for you. Jason, please explain the the Ebay items I listed. Do you think they wanted that to happen?
You had an account with a Jersey company. I have no idea what that has to do with this subject. Here is a test for you or anyone out there. Just take a piece of wool do what ever you think will work so that you can sign it. Take any type of pen that you think will work and sign your name ten times.For the fun of it post your results.
When your doing this think of what a real jersey will cost.

Last edited by shelly; 02-02-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Not sure why you are being argumentative, but I have had many M&N jerseys signed before they started charging big bucks for jerseys. I never had DiMaggio sign a jersey, but I have had him sign at least 100 other items in person. He did try to give a nice signature, but he could care less where you ask him to sign or any special requests. The last time I had him sign was at a national pastime show and paid $50 per flat and $200 per ball. $50 was a lot of money for me so anything but accommodating my request was less than helpful. Maybe you high rollers feel lucky to have DiMaggio do as he pleases with your special itemBuford for me it just proved his disdain for our hobby even as he kept cashing the check.

As for someone else's jerseys, I cannot speak for their stupidity. When my cost on the jersey was between $90-120 I would think it out before ruining an item if I could. Personally I never had a jersey get damaged.

I love the fact how people demand "know it all" status on this board and wonder why people are intimidated to throw a comment out on an item. People may view this board a lot, but I don't see many people jumping in the mix only to get hammered by the same 10 people on this board. It's sad that this hobby continues to function like this.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I did not hammer you. I was saying what I felt. You might have had great success but I know a lot of people that spent a lot of money and had it go down the drain. I appreciate your opinion but I am also am allowed to have mine.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Your whole post was to attempt to put me on blast and encourage others to join in. I don't know why you do this, but it's a common theme
Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Now who is trying to start something. My opinion is mine and yours is yours have a nice day
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Jeff P0tter

I too will jump out there and say that yes everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the argumentative nature gets tiresome, especially when it is against some newer members on a regular basis. I, like I am sure many others, have knowledge to share but will many times not comment as I don't like the drama.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:07 AM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
I too will jump out there and say that yes everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the argumentative nature gets tiresome, especially when it is against some newer members on a regular basis. I, like I am sure many others, have knowledge to share but will many times not comment as I don't like the drama.
That goes ditto for me too. I read this forum every day. I would like to contribute, but don't for the same reasons. It sometimes seems that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but only certain people's are allowed to count. It gets old.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

+3
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
Totally agree!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe