NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Rich Klein

Default Old Cardboard and Legendary

My impressions:

1) Another solid Old Cardboard magazine; like usual.

2) Is Legendary back on stride as an auction house.
Reading their catalog whilst eating lunch today, it did appear that this was the strongest non-live Legendary auction.

Also looking at the last items in their catalog; it appears that instead of running a seperate "collector" auction; they have folded in the collector auction with the $100 minimums to their regular auctions.

Editorial Note: I DO NOT have any items in the Legendary auction.

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 11-12-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: dang typing and geez :)
Old 11-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
2) Is Legendary back on stride as an auction house.
Reading their catalog whilst eating lunch today, it did appear that this was the strongest non-line Legendary auction.
As was noted earlier, it seems they got in one or two old-time collections where the consignor probably wasn't aware of the ongoing issues when they consigned. I don't think this latest auction is any indication that they're "back on stride."

Last edited by Matt; 11-12-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
As was noted earlier, it seems they got in one or two old-time collections where the consignor probably wasn't aware of the ongoing issues when they consigned. I don't think this latest auction is any indication that they're "back on stride."
I do. I got the catalog yesterday and my thoughts were along the lines of "obviously the consignors aren't worried about Legendary". This is a really impressive auction...especially for early Cubs memorabilia collectors.

On a side note the empty Topps/Bowman/fleer boxes minimum bids are a bit shocking to me as I remember these types of items used to be just lotted up in the big auctions.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I do. I got the catalog yesterday and my thoughts were along the lines of "obviously the consignors aren't worried about Legendary". This is a really impressive auction...especially for early Cubs memorabilia collectors.
It would appear that the great bulk if not all of the early Cub stuff is owned by Doug and/or Mastro employees. Of course that leaves open the question as to whether or not these consignors are worried about Legendary.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Alan U

Did Mastro ever get all caught up with their consignors? Not trying to stir things up, just don't know the latest.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:48 PM

It is a pretty impressive auction. Lots of cool stuff.

Although I could be mistaken -
I believe the people I know who consigned to Mastro eventually did get paid.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
It would appear that the great bulk if not all of the early Cub stuff is owned by Doug and/or Mastro employees. Of course that leaves open the question as to whether or not these consignors are worried about Legendary.
I figured the Cubs stuff was probably from one collector, but what makes it "appear" to be all from Mastro employees?
Old 11-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Matt Wieder

There is a disclosure on page 7 of the Mastro-owned lots - too many to type in here.

Lots 590-685 are ALL Mastro owned.

Last edited by Matt; 11-12-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I don't have the catalog in front of me but I recall that the list of items owned by Mastro insiders included most if not all of the early Cub stuff.

Edited to add: Matt nailed it.

Last edited by calvindog; 11-12-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Cubs?

One of their principals has been a Cubs collector for a long time...

Only time will tell how Legendary will do. All 3 executives have a lot of experience and a lot of networking in the hobby....
Old 11-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Barry Sloate

Doug has been a big Cubs collector for a long time so I don't think I am revealing any big secret here.

It is a good auction but I am surprised at how low the T208's are. Remember a common sold in the live July auction for $20,400. Most of them are currently $500 or less as of today. Sure they will have a lot of activity the last night, but the 20K price was clearly an aberration.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
It is a good auction but I am surprised at how low the T208's are. Remember a common sold in the live July auction for $20,400. Most of them are currently $500 or less as of today. Sure they will have a lot of activity the last night, but the 20K price was clearly an aberration.
I'm not sure it was an aberration; it seems to me that it may just be reflective of the supply/demand at the time vs now. If they had listed only 1 now, it might get close to those heights as well. Or, it might have been an aberration...
Old 11-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Barry Sloate

No doubt the supply has drastically changed the perception. The one in July was the first one offered in about five years. Now between Legendary and REA we have 33 on the block. And we will almost certainly never see this kind of supply again.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:24 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Did "Mastro" ever get around to paying their consignors? I haven't noticed any updates lately.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Legendary

For whatever it is worth....here are my 2 Drachmas regarding Legendary......

My booth at the Valley Forge Philly Show is adjacent to Legendary's booth. I have known Ron Oser since 1981.
I have known Mark Theotikis since the late '80s. These 2 guys are fine people. After all is said and done, over
the years in this hobby, it's the human element that matters more than any piece (or collection) of cardboard.

I was really impressed back in March with Legendary's tremendous T205/T206 DRUM find (51 cards). As I star-
ted setting up at the Sept. Philly Show, Ron Oser called over to me to check-out their latest find.

I replied...."Ah, come on Ron, you can't top your DRUM find ?"

Ron responded...."You want to bet on it, Ted ?"

I suspended my set-up and looked over Legendary's table....and, I was blown away when I saw their T208 set.
As a grown-up, I have been in this hobby since the 1970's and I have never seen a complete 18-card Cullivan's
Fireside set.

How about it guys, let's give Legendary a chance. Certainly, their latest Auction material looks pretty darn good.

TED Z
Old 11-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Ted, I've got three trials coming up in the next 8 months; the question is how do I get you on all of them.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Tony N.

Default Old Cardboard auction

What is the link to the Old Cardboard auction? I was on the Old Cardboard site, and can't seem to find a link to their auction?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 11-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Michael S

Is there an auction house called "old cardboard"? I guess I am confused. Maybe it is a reference to the "old cardboard" in the Legendary auction?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
There is a disclosure on page 7 of the Mastro-owned lots - too many to type in here.

Allegedly...for all we know...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-12-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp View Post
Is there an auction house called "old cardboard"? I guess I am confused. Maybe it is a reference to the "old cardboard" in the Legendary auction?
Points #1 and #2 are NOT connected.

Old Cardboard is a magazine, and judging by Rich's post, I'd guess he got his in the mail today.

Legendary is the auction house.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:

Heh. Who reads the fine print?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Is it true that Bill Goodwin is taking an internship at Legendary?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Is it true that Bill Goodwin is taking an internship at Legendary?
Your bidding privileges have been revoked. Please contact us to have them reinstated.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
The old time collector was your conjecture if I recall correctly and not a general consensus. I believe that many of the high quality cards come from a person who is up to date on the goings on in the hobby including the Mastro problem.

However I could be wrong.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Points #1 and #2 are NOT connected.

Old Cardboard is a magazine, and judging by Rich's post, I'd guess he got his in the mail today.

Legendary is the auction house.
Ahh yes, the magazine. And a fine magazine it is. Thanks for setting me straight Jim.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey Jeff L.

Per your request........
" Ted, I've got three trials coming up in the next 8 months; the question is how do I get you on all of them. "

......it will cost you, buddy. Travel expenses from Pennsy to NYC and a Hal Chase of my choice for each day.

Damn, I'd be proud to be in your courtroom. However, if I'm as effective in influencing your case(s) as you are
alluding to here....then you are going to have to up the ante....to a Cobb each day. .

T-Rex TED
Old 11-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
The old time collector was your conjecture if I recall correctly and not a general consensus. I believe that many of the high quality cards come from a person who is up to date on the goings on in the hobby including the Mastro problem.

However I could be wrong.
I suppose it doesn't matter for the greater point; the key is that most of the quality material is either from Mastro employees or this one particular collector who apparently doesn't care about all the issues consignors have had. I don't think that is sustainable to the point where we can say they are back.

Last edited by Matt; 11-12-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Rich Klein

Default And to play the other side

Even if you had to put some of your "own" material into the auction; showing that you can get the Lou Brock collection (right after the Bob Gibson collection) and the Bill Hoffer collection (that made their debut at the National auction) then there is certainly some forward momentum.

And since perception may be reality; I do think there is a chance that Mastro/Legendary HAD to do something to generate money in April and that the switch was not handled as well as it should have been. And, I don't know this for a fact, but I'd wager if you chatted with Doug Allen privately; he'd tell you the same point.

My only point is that this catalog was a whole lot better than their April catalog AND seemed to have more items of interest and once you get the "stuff" again, you get more "stuff". How many times on this board (and it's not just Mastro/Legendary) that we moan about an auction house (example Ryan C. vs SCP) and then in the last SCP auction, man there were several threads about what people bid on and how happy they were to win the lots.

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 11-12-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Even if you had to put some of your "own" material into the auction; showing that you can get the Lou Brock collection (right after the Bob Gibson collection) and the Bill Hoffer collection (that made their debut at the National auction) then there is certainly some forward momentum.

And since perception may be reality; I do think there is a chance that Mastro/Legendary HAD to do something to generate money in April and that the switch was not handled as well as it should have been. And, I don't know this for a fact, but I'd wager if you chatted with Doug Allen privately; he'd tell you the same point.

My only point is that this catalog was a whole lot better than their April catalog AND seemed to have more items of interest and once you get the "stuff" again, you get more "stuff". How many times on this board (and it's not just Mastro) that we moan about an auction house (example Ryan C. vs SCP) and then in the last SCP auction, man there were several threads about what people bid on and how happy they were to win the lots.

Regards
Rich
"Stuff" trumps everything. Always has in this hobby and always will. After all is said and done there is very little reason for these auction houses to change their ways if people still bid.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 PM
James Gallo

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
"Stuff" trumps everything. Always has in this hobby and always will. After all is said and done there is very little reason for these auction houses to change their ways if people still bid.
Dan,

I have to disagree with you on this. At least for me personally my own principles and beliefs trump everything. There is one auction house I just won't deal with after I got burned twice with them. I don't care if they have the cards of my dreams I will not bid.

I very well may be in the minority with this line of thought but for me I go with my gut and feelings. Stuff will always be there but my own self respect I never want to lose.

James G
Old 11-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Jon Canfield

Interesting article on the game used forum about the Frank Chance uniform in the current auction...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=30867

According to some forum members, seems that not everything is what it appears.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Interesting article on the game used forum about the Frank Chance uniform in the current auction...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=30867

According to some forum members, seems that not everything is what it appears.
Yikes. What was the earlier question? Are they back in stride?

Last edited by Matt; 11-13-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default wow

That was some fun reading.....kind of like a snowball effect.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Yikes. What was the earlier question? Are they back in stride?
Agreed - I found the article alarming, especially the adendum appearing after Bushing's public response.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Mark

>>[re the Chance game worn jersey]...This begs the question, where does one get a 1911 bear logo?.....

Geez - and I thought their labeling of a 1910 Cubs team photo as 1908 was a big deal.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Jeff

I'm beyond amazed. And Matt I owe you an e-mail.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:59 PM

That is a great expose by Rudy from the game used forum about the Chance jersey.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Rich Klein

Default Legendary now notes the Logo Issue

In the Frank Chance uniform lot

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...100&category=1

Regards
Rich
Old 11-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't know jacksquat about uniforms but if that is accurate, Legendary is indeed hitting a stride--Mastro's stride...You almost have to admire the stones it takes to do that in the wake of the FBI investigations...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-13-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Adam, you beat me to it. Yes, Mastro/Legendary is definitely hitting its Michael Jordan shooting shirt---woops I mean Ranzino Smith---stride again.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Mark

Maybe it's just me - it seems that Legendary has messed up 2 nice and very scarce historical items - the Chance jersey that happened to lose it's cubby bear some time in the past, and Pfiester's jersey that had remained intact for almost 100 years until they took it apart.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Have no fear, though: the Chance jersey is owned by Doug and it has a reserve known only to those honest folks at Mastro. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 11-13-2009, 06:57 PM

I've known Ron Oser since the early 1980's. I used to shoot the breeze with him when he was a dealer in the back of the smaller room at the Columbia (Maryland) Hilton show.

They are back !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVS3WNt7yRU
Old 11-13-2009, 07:03 PM

Hope this isn't repetitive, but here is Dave Grob's post at Mears regarding the Chance jersey:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/42715...ndary+Auctions
Old 11-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanzies1278 View Post
Hope this isn't repetitive, but here is Dave Grob's post at Mears regarding the Chance jersey:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/42715...ndary+Auctions
actually it was Dave Bushing's thoughts posted for him by Grob.....
Old 11-13-2009, 07:42 PM

bmarlowe1,

That is EXACTLY the same thought I had after reading about this mess. Devaluing (in my mind ruining) a perfectly good Pfeister jersey for the sake of artificially inflating the value of a jersey that is already valuable on its own merits.

They could have just as easily had a replica "C" made up and attached it to the Chance jersey and then made it be known publicly that is what they did. No lying, no deceit and no chance for a public PR mess. That would have also given the new owner the opportunity to take the "C" off the jersey if, for whatever reason, they didn't like it and could do so without any thoughts of harming the value of the jersey.

David

Last edited by ctownboy; 11-13-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to add my name at the bottom
Old 11-13-2009, 07:42 PM

Oops. Thanks for correcting my error.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:47 PM

My question to everyone is this;

Now that it is known that the "C" originally came from the Pfeister jersey and that Doug Allen personally oversaw and paid for the removal of it, can the person who bought the Pfeister jersey do anything about this? I mean, can they somehow claim damages because the jersey was original when it went to the auction house but was tampered with while at the auction house and thus had its value diminshed?

Also, WHO owned the Pfeister jersey? Was it Doug Allen or another Mastro employee? If not, then don't you think the owner would be a little upset to know their original jersey was messed with so that ANOTHER jersey could have its value artificially inflated?

David
Old 11-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
My question to everyone is this;

Now that it is known that the "C" originally came from the Pfeister jersey and that Doug Allen personally oversaw and paid for the removal of it, can the person who bought the Pfeister jersey do anything about this? I mean, can they somehow claim damages because the jersey was original when it went to the auction house but was tampered with while at the auction house and thus had its value diminshed?

Also, WHO owned the Pfeister jersey? Was it Doug Allen or another Mastro employee? If not, then don't you think the owner would be a little upset to know their original jersey was messed with so that ANOTHER jersey could have its value artificially inflated?

David

Just to claify - the "C" on the Chance jersey is original. The little cub in the middle of the "C" was missing on the Chance jersey. The little cub was then added to the Chance.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:30 PM

Canjond,

Thanks for correcting my error. I should have gone back and read the postings again before I commented.

But my questions still stand, who owned the Pfeister jersey before the little cub was removed, wouldn't they be upset to find out it was removed (thus devaluing the piece) and wouldn't the new owner be upset to find the original cub had been removed and a repro added just to artificially enhance another jersey's value?

Finally, was the removal of the original cub and the application of the repro cub noted in the description when the Pfeister jersey was auctioned? Seems to me if it wasn't then it should have been.

David