NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Adam Phillips

Default How do I "hunt" for memorabilia?

I'm very new to collecting and I'm continuously blown away by the amazing items posted here. However, I'm a public school teacher in a state that does not pay teachers very well. As such, many items are and always will be out of my league. Still, I can't help but think that there are people in my area with great stuff tucked away. Columbia, SC is home to Capital City stadium which has hosted some form of organized baseball since it was completed in 1927. Unfortunately, the stadium was sold this year and will be demolished so that Wal-Mart can build yet another store. How should I go about searching for tucked away memorabilia? Newspaper ads? Craigslist? Clearly I'm clueless and would love to hear the advice of the forum's collected wisdom. Thanks guys.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 AM
octavio ranzola

Garage sales ,estate sales..be carefull with graiglist very carefull
Old 10-24-2012, 08:38 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

best advice I can give is to check out local sales...It's tough and sometimes luck just needs to be on your side. In the autograph department, educate yourself because there is a WHOLE lot of crap out there.

eBay and the B/S/T forum are also great places. Don't be afraid to barter....
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Adam Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
best advice I can give is to check out local sales...It's tough and sometimes luck just needs to be on your side. In the autograph department, educate yourself because there is a WHOLE lot of crap out there.

eBay and the B/S/T forum are also great places. Don't be afraid to barter....
Thanks for the advice. About the only thing I could barter with would be my charm as good looks have never been my strong suit.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Steve Birmingham

Most of the expensive stuff will be really tough to find unless you get lucky. Even if you go to lots of estate sales.

But there's loads of cool inexpensive stuff out there.
Stadium postcards can sometimes be found in antique shops in the random postcard box -usually a dollar or two each.

Don't forget antique shows and auctions and other collectible shows.
I bought a cubs logo coffee cup that's restauraunt china, maybe from the team? It was only $2 at a bottle show from a seller who specialized in restauraunt china.
A box of ephemera at a local auction had a stack of maybe 10 blotters with the 1939 Tufts football schedule on them.
I've bought some nice covers at stamp shows, both the ones with Cachets from events like world series games and ones sent from minor league teams.

Look long enough and a few better things will turn up. Knowing what you're looking at and being willing to take a small chance will help, and that will come with experience.
The same local auction that had the ephemera with the Tufts schedules had a very poorly presented early 40's Braves warmup jacket. It's in bad condition, but a decent deal at $100.
And a batch of stereoviews at a photo show included a couple views of a non-baseball event held in Boston. But it was obviously held in one of the baseball parks. So a couple nice early images of a baseball park for I think $2 each.

None of those things are a particularly big deal, but they're all pretty interesting.
Collect stuff in general first, then when you find what you want to specialize in you'll have a good stack of things to trade or sell.

Steve B
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Adam Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Most of the expensive stuff will be really tough to find unless you get lucky. Even if you go to lots of estate sales.

But there's loads of cool inexpensive stuff out there.
Stadium postcards can sometimes be found in antique shops in the random postcard box -usually a dollar or two each.

Don't forget antique shows and auctions and other collectible shows.
I bought a cubs logo coffee cup that's restauraunt china, maybe from the team? It was only $2 at a bottle show from a seller who specialized in restauraunt china.
A box of ephemera at a local auction had a stack of maybe 10 blotters with the 1939 Tufts football schedule on them.
I've bought some nice covers at stamp shows, both the ones with Cachets from events like world series games and ones sent from minor league teams.

Look long enough and a few better things will turn up. Knowing what you're looking at and being willing to take a small chance will help, and that will come with experience.
The same local auction that had the ephemera with the Tufts schedules had a very poorly presented early 40's Braves warmup jacket. It's in bad condition, but a decent deal at $100.
And a batch of stereoviews at a photo show included a couple views of a non-baseball event held in Boston. But it was obviously held in one of the baseball parks. So a couple nice early images of a baseball park for I think $2 each.

None of those things are a particularly big deal, but they're all pretty interesting.
Collect stuff in general first, then when you find what you want to specialize in you'll have a good stack of things to trade or sell.

Steve B
Great advice, Steve. It's truly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Eri..c Hu.nt

I track Craigslist and local auctions. I'm still amazed at some of the stuff people have stored away. This is not an easy task though. I check these things daily. You have to sift through ten tons of manure, but you eventually come across a diamond once in a while. When you find that diamond, jump on it as fast as you can. There are plenty of others out there doing the same thing and it's a race to the good stuff.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:00 PM

I've seen interesting genuine items in antique stores. You could put an ad in the local newspaper.

Last edited by drc; 10-24-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Jim Murphy

go to the stadium that is going to be town down and ask it you can go through every nook and cranny and see what comes up. Seats, turnstiles, signs anything you can get out of it cheeply is a terrific find

I have collected for 50 years since I was a kid. Just decide that you get up on Saturday and Sunday at 4 or 5 AM and go to sales, flea markets etc. You don't need much money, maybe $100 and look for stuff that is interesting.

Have an idea of what ypou are buying and don't go overboard.

Decide what you want to collect and have fun
Old 10-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Adam Phillips

I want to thank all of you for your great advice. I'm a morning person any way and I'm looking forward to hitting the estate and yard sales this weekend. I'm also looking forward to researching Capital City stadium and the players that have taken that field since 1927. With that in mind, any info about the stadium and players is greatly appreciated. I'd like to thank John V. who was kind enough to tell me about 13 T210 cards featuring Columbia players. Again, thanks to all.
Adam