NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2020, 08:06 PM
Eric Perry

Default So, I received a card in the mail today...

The SGC holder might have been opened and resealed.

Here's a picture of the edge of the case. Obviously, the eBay listing didn't show the edge or disclose this damage.

What do you think?

(FWIW, the card is genuine. However, it does appear overgraded.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (52.9 KB, 1039 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 10-23-2020, 08:56 PM

Default What type of package was the card shipped in?

Hi Eric,

What type of package was the card shipped in?

Any sign of damage to the package?

Patrick
Old 10-23-2020, 09:02 PM
Ben North

Does the slab look bad in any other place than that small area? Every time I have cracked a card out of a SGC slab they was no way you could put it back together with out it being very obvious.

Last edited by bnorth; 10-23-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:11 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Hi Eric,

What type of package was the card shipped in?

Any sign of damage to the package?

Patrick
Bubble mailer. Card was wrapped in cardboard before being placed in the mailer. No evidence of damage to the package.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 10-23-2020, 09:17 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Does the slab look bad in any other place than that small area? Every time I have cracked a card out of a SGC slab they was no way you could put it back together with out it being very obvious.
The slab looks bad in other spots, too. The seller wanted pictures, so they could "...show usps the damage caused during delivery..."

I gave the seller a close-up, a mid-range, and a full picture of the slab/card. If nothing else, it will be interesting to see what they write next.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 10-23-2020, 10:17 PM
Bobw

Don't throw out the packaging it came in just in case he puts in a claim.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:23 AM
Eric Perry

Here's an image of a larger portion of the holder. I looks (to me, anyway) like the holder has been opened and resealed, particularly near the corner. There is similar, though somewhat less severe, damage near the other bottom corner.

Opinions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7895 - Copy.jpg (76.4 KB, 865 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 10-24-2020, 07:55 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I've busted a lot of slabs and I don't like what I see.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:22 AM
pete ullman

to me...it appears the slab has been compromised...no way that occurs during shipping...unless the old american tourister monkeys are working again?
Old 10-24-2020, 08:49 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
I've busted a lot of slabs and I don't like what I see.
+1 that area looks bad. Could you post pics of the whole slab front and back instead of the 2 little sections of the slab?
Old 10-24-2020, 09:06 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
+1 that area looks bad. Could you post pics of the whole slab front and back instead of the 2 little sections of the slab?
I want to give the seller an opportunity to make this right first. Posting a picture of the whole card/slab would, in essence, be “outing” them. 1952-80 Topps cards (this one included) have unique characteristics that can be used like fingerprints.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 10-24-2020, 09:16 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I want to give the seller an opportunity to make this right first. Posting a picture of the whole card/slab would, in essence, be “outing” them. 1952-80 Topps cards (this one included) have unique characteristics that can be used like fingerprints.
Makes sense, good luck on it all working out for you.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:09 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Curious to hear if now, after the fact, you can see the cracks in the original photos assuming you bought it online. Certainly possible the seller didn't notice it either, especially if they buy/sell in volume. Looks like in Youtube videos on those SGC slabs all you need is an entry point, and those slabs split like a banana peel. Just hope you had buyer protection or the seller is willing to do the right thing.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:44 PM
Ed Woelfle

Quote:
Bubble mailer. Card was wrapped in cardboard before being placed in the mailer. No evidence of damage to the package.
With everything that you’ve noted - damage to the slab that would at least lead to reasonable suspicion of tampering. Packed well and no obvious damage/trauma to the outside of the package in shipping - I’d go with your gut instinct here and return it ( .. which sounds like you’re in-process of doing). The send pictures, seller possibly looking to take it up with Postal Service, etc. stuff sounds like a smoke-screen.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:59 PM
Eric Perry

I have worked things out with the seller. Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 10-24-2020, 01:07 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeboo View Post
Curious to hear if now, after the fact, you can see the cracks in the original photos assuming you bought it online. Certainly possible the seller didn't notice it either, especially if they buy/sell in volume. Looks like in Youtube videos on those SGC slabs all you need is an entry point, and those slabs split like a banana peel. Just hope you had buyer protection or the seller is willing to do the right thing.
Not a volume seller. The photos in the original listing do not show the same damage. However, the card is unquestionably the same. Additionally, the slab was placed on a plain surface when the eBay listing photo was taken. It could have suffered the damage during transit. USPS deals with an unimaginable volume of mail each day. It is reasonable to believe a few of those parcels get jostled around along the way.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 10-24-2020, 01:17 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwolf1963 View Post
With everything that you’ve noted - damage to the slab that would at least lead to reasonable suspicion of tampering. Packed well and no obvious damage/trauma to the outside of the package in shipping - I’d go with your gut instinct here and return it ( .. which sounds like you’re in-process of doing). The send pictures, seller possibly looking to take it up with Postal Service, etc. stuff sounds like a smoke-screen.
The seller communicated exceptionally well. I also scrutinized the card through the slab. It's definitely real, and I could imagine a grader assigning the given grade (it's not graded mint) to this card.

The seller gave a partial refund to cover the cost of having SGC reholder it and ship it back to me. I'll cover the cost of sending it to SGC.

Could I find out, from SGC, the it had been cracked out? Sure, i guess that's a possibility. However, I tend to believe this seller was not engaging in shady business. And, at this dollar value, I am willing to take the risk.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 10-24-2020, 01:19 PM
Ben North

Quote:
The seller communicated exceptionally well. I also scrutinized the card through the slab. It's definitely real, and I could imagine a grader assigning the given grade (it's not graded mint) to this card.

The seller gave a partial refund to cover the cost of having SGC reholder it and ship it back to me. I'll cover the cost of sending it to SGC.

Could I find out, from SGC, the it had been cracked out? Sure, i guess that's a possibility. However, I tend to believe this seller was not engaging in shady business. And, at this dollar value, I am willing to take the risk.
If SGC thinks it has been cracked out they will not just reholder it, you will have to pay to have it graded.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:21 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
If SGC thinks it has been cracked out they will not just reholder it, you will have to pay to have it graded.
I completely understand. It could also come back in a lower grade or altered, etc.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 10-24-2020, 04:42 PM
Justin

Have you looked on previous sales on VCP under this grade to see if you can find the card or holder number with a different card?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jcosta19; 10-24-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:24 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
Have you looked on previous sales on VCP under this grade to see if you can find the card or holder number with a different card?

I don't have a VCP subscription. That type of sleuthing is a good idea, though. If it were a higher dollar card, I would have done some BODA-style detective work before making the purchase.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 10-24-2020, 05:31 PM
Justin

Quote:
I don't have a VCP subscription. That type of sleuthing is a good idea, though. If it were a higher dollar card, I would have done some BODA-style detective work before making the purchase.
Feel free to PM me the card details if you'd like me to do some sleuthing.

I'm obviously not busy! Haha and curious myself.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:57 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
to me...it appears the slab has been compromised...no way that occurs during shipping...unless the old american tourister monkeys are working again?
This is my package from REI delivered about 4 weeks ago that contained trekking poles (poles are still in that box in the picture). My locals also bend envelopes specifically written with "do not bend - pictures". REI associates were having a good laugh when I returned them to the store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-24-2020, 10:20 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

At least they taped it up after they ran it over, so nothing would fall out. "Drop it on the porch and run!"
Old 10-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeboo View Post
At least they taped it up after they ran it over, so nothing would fall out. "Drop it on the porch and run!"
Ha! It reminds me of Seinfeld.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-28-2020, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
This is my package from REI delivered about 4 weeks ago that contained trekking poles (poles are still in that box in the picture). My locals also bend envelopes specifically written with "do not bend - pictures". REI associates were having a good laugh when I returned them to the store.

They bend my Do not bend also envelopes. How about writing Please Bend on them. They would probably leave those alone.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:35 PM
Val Kehl

When I sell an inexpensive card (generally $20 or less) on eBay, I ship it in a PWE with cardboard stiffeners in order to keep the shipping charge low. I print "Non-Machinable" in red ink on both sides of the PWE, and I add the required 15 cents additional postage for this "service." You guessed it - every now and then, the PWE reaches the buyer in tattered condition, usually with the card missing. I am 99% sure this is due to a USPS clerk putting the PWE through a sorting machine. C'est la vie!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:46 PM

If you go to the window and request the envelope be sent non-machinable the clerk will meter it and you will never have that problem again.

Just putting additional postage and a handwritten note won't guarantee the service.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:44 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
When I sell an inexpensive card (generally $20 or less) on eBay, I ship it in a PWE with cardboard stiffeners in order to keep the shipping charge low. I print "Non-Machinable" in red ink on both sides of the PWE, and I add the required 15 cents additional postage for this "service." You guessed it - every now and then, the PWE reaches the buyer in tattered condition, usually with the card missing. I am 99% sure this is due to a USPS clerk putting the PWE through a sorting machine. C'est la vie!
Hey I got your letter, it was the one that had $3.55 postage due. (If your pwe is 1/4" or more thick it gets charged as a package.) Just put the card in a top loader, without the cardboard, it will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2020, 03:58 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Hey I got your letter, it was the one that had $3.55 postage due. (If your pwe is 1/4" or more thick it gets charged as a package.) Just put the card in a top loader, without the cardboard, it will be fine.

Al, are you making a general statement, or are you saying that you specifically received a card from me in a PWE with postage due? I always ensure that my PWEs are less than 1/4" thick.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:56 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Al, are you making a general statement, or are you saying that you specifically received a card from me in a PWE with postage due? I always ensure that my PWEs are less than 1/4" thick.
You must use really thin cardboard to stay under 1/4 inch. Good for you that you know how it works.

I did not get any cards from you but I have received several cards "postage due" recently. I don't mind saving the $$ on postage, just wish other sellers paid attention to the rules.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:35 PM
Val Kehl

Thanks, Al, for the clarification - you had me worried!

I usually eat dry cereal for breakfast, and I use the thin carboard the cereal boxes are made of for my stiffeners. And, I put the card in a Card Saver.