NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2021, 10:42 AM
Eric Perry

Default eBay change to trading card return window

I just received the following message:

"Effective July 29, 2021, we are updating our eBay Money Back Guarantee policy for trading cards by changing the time frame for buyers requesting a return when the item doesn’t match the listing.
• If the seller doesn’t offer returns, you must request a return no later than three (3) calendar days after delivery, instead of 30 days, to return an item when it doesn’t match the listing.
• If the seller offers returns, you must request a return within the seller’s return window as stated in the listing.

While you may notice the absence of the eBay Money Back Guarantee badge from trading cards listings, these items will still be covered under eBay Money Back Guarantee as long as all eligibility requirements are met, including returns windows outlined in the policy."

I personally think this is a good thing. Too many returns initiated by buyers whose speculation didn't pan out.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-21-2021, 10:46 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I personally love it.

I would like to see some protection for sellers from retribution feedback given by buyers that demand returns outside these parameters as we all know it's coming. However, this is a small step in the correct direction.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:52 AM
J@son Per1

Thumps up!
Old 06-21-2021, 02:53 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I personally love it.

I would like to see some protection for sellers from retribution feedback given by buyers that demand returns outside these parameters as we all know it's coming. However, this is a small step in the correct direction.
As a seller, would that really be a threat? Unless you get a TON of people doing this, your overall rating will see basically zero impact. Personally, I would tell the buyer to get bent and happily take the miniscule hit to my feedback %.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:04 PM
Lonnie Nagel

I don't recall eBay EVER making a conscientious decision to help protect sellers - so I'm quite shocked.

Almost makes me wanna throw em out a kudos - not really tho
Old 06-21-2021, 03:41 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

eBay had no choice - more competition means they had to do something. Great move!!

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 06-21-2021, 03:59 PM
Bill Cauley

This line just makes me laugh:

"If the seller doesn’t offer returns, you must request a return no later than three (3) calendar days"

Regardless, once you get your card, you don't need more than 3 days anyway. Why they gave buyers the 30 day option I have no idea.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:25 AM
Jay Shumsky

If you paid through PayPal, would you still have 180 days to make a claim through PayPal that the item was not as described?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:33 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
If you paid through PayPal, would you still have 180 days to make a claim through PayPal that the item was not as described?
Lets hope not.

I still use PP religiously, however I can understand a rush to managed payments to avoid this as a buyer. Just maybe, if I feel like they are smarter than I think they are, that may be part of the plan for this change?

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:39 AM
Frank Wakefield

Sometimes I am busy focusing on my work and real life; I may not retrieve mail from the post office box the day it's delivered. I may be out of time for a few days, from time to time; a delivery date might occur as I leave town and it could be a few days before I return. Delivery on a Friday before a three day weekend could be problematic.

Three calendar days is too short a time frame. And 30 days was too long, I can envision someone buying 3 of the same card, comparing cards and their relative prices, maybe have a potential sale of one of the 3 fall through, and then wanting to return 2 of them 4 weeks after receipt. So shortening to 10 days or 14 days may well have been sensible. Three days isn't enough.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:59 AM
Jeff

That is good news. I am lucky that as of yet have never had to deal with returns on ebay. As a hobby seller, I have always dreaded the idea of having to deal with a return a month after purchase. As was stated above, life and work come into play. A deal is a deal and time to move on after a short inspection period. Sellers shouldn't have to be home depot
Old 06-23-2021, 10:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

So if a seller uses eBay managed payments and the buyer pays via PP or CC, a late claim made will be denied by eBay. If the buyer makes a claim via PP or initiates a charge-back then what? Will eBay defend and indemnify or will it just take the money from the seller if the claim is lost at the PP or CC level?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-23-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:57 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
So if a seller uses eBay managed payments and the buyer pays via PP or CC, a late claim made will be denied by eBay. If the buyer makes a claim via PP or initiates a charge-back then what? Will eBay defend and indemnify or will it just take the money from the seller if the claim is lost at the PP or CC level?
Hopefully, the same thing that happens now for charge-backs related to dishonest behavior that does not involve the seller. To clarify, the "dishonest behavior" could be a porch pirate or a eBay member attempting a scam.

Either way, if a buyer initiates a charge-back with their CC company, I'm covered if tracking shows it was delivered.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-24-2021, 02:09 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

not good if you have a P.O. Box. I usually check it once a week.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:12 AM
Tom Re.bert

eBay message:--When you listed this item, you chose to not accept domestic returns for remorse or change of mind returns.
In this instance however, your buyer has opened the return stating that the item was not as described.

When a “Not as described” return is filed, even private sellers are obliged to accept the return under the eBay Moneyback Guarantee Program.

( FYI--It appears buyers remorse or change mind is still alive and well ?? So will a buyer be able open a case AFTER 3 days of receiving not as described. With this example it was within the 3 days.)

Last edited by Directly; 06-26-2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:05 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
eBay message:--When you listed this item, you chose to not accept domestic returns for remorse or change of mind returns.
In this instance however, your buyer has opened the return stating that the item was not as described.

When a “Not as described” return is filed, even private sellers are obliged to accept the return under the eBay Moneyback Guarantee Program.

( FYI--It appears buyers remorse or change mind is still alive and well ?? So will a buyer be able open a case AFTER 3 days of receiving not as described. With this example it was within the 3 days.)
From eBay:

"...If the seller doesn’t offer returns, you must request a return no later than three (3) calendar days after delivery, instead of 30 days, to return an item when it doesn’t match the listing..."

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-26-2021, 08:04 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Since eBay now remits funds directly to sellers, I don't see how that period applies anymore. Paypal can't freeze seller funds or send the account into the red.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:13 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Hopefully, the same thing that happens now for charge-backs related to dishonest behavior that does not involve the seller. To clarify, the "dishonest behavior" could be a porch pirate or a eBay member attempting a scam.

Either way, if a buyer initiates a charge-back with their CC company, I'm covered if tracking shows it was delivered.
I think this cuts to the heart of the matter. The former payment system was being abused by fraudsters. They knew ebay and Paypal would not only take their side 9 times out of 10, but would freeze funds or redden balances of sellers, effectively bullying them into refunding to be able to access Paypal again.

Now the abusers will have to initiate chargebacks, which they know have higher bars to clear and are limited by the CC companies. Ring that bell too many times and they'll just notate your account or even close it and ding you with the credit bureaus.