NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Default archiving publications digitally

How much if our Hobby History is available on either microfilm or in a digital format?

I was thinking weather or not it would be feasible if there was something like newspapers.com for hobby publications for researchers and collectors?
Old 10-13-2019, 10:50 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I would like to know this as well.
It would be awesome if you could visit a website and browse through thousands of old issues of SCD, Baseball Cards Magazine, Old Cardboard, etc. It would really help me with my research.

Last edited by samosa4u; 10-13-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

The catch is that most of it is still under copyright. (Maybe all? I don't know of any pre 1923 hobby publications)

I'm not sure how newspapers .com does things, but they probably had permission from the newspapers in return for some small amount from the paywall fees.

This would be a good project for an collectors organization. The national stamp group I'm in has gotten the rights to many classic books that have very little commercial value, but are the best references despite being in some cases more than 50 years old. Most of those are online free to members, and in some cases for everyone. (Being a member I'm not sure exactly which are which.)

If someone could get the rights, and a good run of physical copies it wouldn't be hard. Scans are just time consuming.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...uptcy-auction/

Sports Collectors Digest was one of a group of 50 magazines sold in a bankruptcy auction last month. Publisher F+W Media filed for Chapter 11 earlier this year and the company’s assets, including magazine titles from various hobby and collectible realms, went on the block.

The buyer for SCD and five other collectible-oriented publications was Cruz Bay Publishing, a division of Active Interest Media based in Boulder, CO. The cost for all of them according to FolioMag.com was a modest $350,000. Cruz Bay won 14 publications in all including Popular Woodworking for $1 million and Writer’s Digest for $200,000.

So it looks like we'd have to get permission from Active Interest Media.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

I bet if you offer to do all the scanning work and allow them to paywall it, they might just let it happen.

While I really dislike paywalls on newspapers - like really, what commercial value is there in most newspapers older than a few days?
I do have the stamp membership, which is something like 15 or 20 dollars a year. Their magazine is quarterly and it's really worth the subscription fee.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

So I pay for newspapers.com, and I have no problem with that since the money I give them goes to upkeep of the site and finding and digitizing new papers.

I don't think I'd have an issue with paying for hobby information as well. We could always ask, and some journals from the 40's through the 70's such as Burdick's Card Collectors Bulletin and American Card Catalog probably didn't get their copyrights renewed if they had them at all -they might actually be in the public domain?

I think the more you as a collector can learn, the better off you'll be. I don't mince words when I say that I got a real crappy education, but card collecting and net54 has really helped reverse that. I thought maybe this idea would help other collectors too particularly since there are swaths of missing hobby history. Guys like Lionel Carter is one of the biggest reasons why I'm a writer today.

Last edited by topcat61; 10-13-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:18 PM

Massive project. Lots of effort. Small payoff. That SOUNDS like a hobby...I’m in!

In all seriousness...does sound like an interesting idea. OCR software is getting better and better, which would give the archive searchability.

I know the rights would be tricky, but be cool to get all the old Beckett monthly’s in there too!
Old 10-14-2019, 07:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There are quite a few collectors, me included, who study the history of the hobby. David Karthman (hey David) is the king of hobby history on this forum. .FWIW, digitizing everything would be a monumental project. Here are a few links to some hobby letters from early on..

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=207878&page=3

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1528717

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
So I pay for newspapers.com, and I have no problem with that since the money I give them goes to upkeep of the site and finding and digitizing new papers.

I don't think I'd have an issue with paying for hobby information as well. We could always ask, and some journals from the 40's through the 70's such as Burdick's Card Collectors Bulletin and American Card Catalog probably didn't get their copyrights renewed if they had them at all -they might actually be in the public domain?

I think the more you as a collector can learn, the better off you'll be. I don't mince words when I say that I got a real crappy education, but card collecting and net54 has really helped reverse that. I thought maybe this idea would help other collectors too particularly since there are swaths of missing hobby history. Guys like Lionel Carter is one of the biggest reasons why I'm a writer today.

Last edited by Leon; 10-14-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post

I probably would too, if I needed it often enough. I just don't do many searches that turn up there.
They don't have much overlap between the archive the LOC has, which is free.
And they don't have the NYT which has its own archive. They are mostly paywall, but some brief articles that don't have any connection to any important history are free.

I really do think it's a worthwhile project. I just want people to go into it eyes open as to legalities, costs and how much effort it would take.
I have a scanner that can handle outsize items like the SCD magazines, but it's pretty slow and some of them are something like 200+ pages.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:52 PM

You can check out Internet Archive if any of their projects apply:
https://archive.org/projects/

I'm not certain about copyright status. There are many books and magazines that get uploaded into there that are still "active" in copyright status... however, Preservation typically will have more leniency in copyright law (depends on the country of course) as preservation is not usually seen as being competition against the copyright holder.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:04 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post

I'm not certain about copyright status. There are many books and magazines that get uploaded into there that are still "active" in copyright status... however, Preservation typically will have more leniency in copyright law (depends on the country of course) as preservation is not usually seen as being competition against the copyright holder.
I think there's a process where a rights holder can make something available in some format without losing the rights. Like if you want to put a book online that never sold well, the author may allow it, but if you want for some reason to publish a hardcopy for sale they still retain the rights.

One of my stamp catalogs did that. Really good detailed book about a very niche area. The original hardcopy was $100, and the author essentially made nearly nothing or lost money. He also would send a free update once a year.
Until he made a deal with Google books. Now it's online for free and gets updated whenever he gets to doing an update. Overall that's not such a bad thing. It's in wikibooks now, I'm not sure if it's an extension of google books or a different service.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Intern..._Stamp_Catalog
Old 10-15-2019, 08:06 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is probably a good idea for defunct publications with no modern reprints and things that were self-published by long-dead hobbyists, like the self-published guide to the Burdick Collection. Assuming they were ever copyrighted and that the copyrights were renewed they might still fall under fair use. Check out the fair use doctrine:

https://www.lib.uchicago.edu/copyrightinfo/fairuse.html

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-15-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:52 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There are quite a few collectors, me included, who study the history of the hobby. David Karthman (hey David) is the king of hobby history on this forum. .FWIW, digitizing everything would be a monumental project. Here are a few links to some hobby letters from early on..

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=207878&page=3

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1528717

I have almost all hobby publications from the 1930s up to the early 1990s, and many from the 1990s (mainly SCD and Beckett). Until about 1970, the vast majority of them were done on a typewriter and reproduced by either mimeograph or spirit duplication (dittoes), and they were typically a one-person, or sometimes two-person, operation. Some of the editors/publishers are still around (like Steve Mitchell of this board).

If anybody wants to look up something specific, I can try to find it. Otherwise, I've written many hobby history posts here on Net54 that make use of my publication collection and include scans from them. I compiled links to many of those posts here:

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253510
Old 10-15-2019, 11:34 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post

I think all we'd be trying to do is preserve our history for future generations. If this could get started now -even a small portion, it could really benefit researchers and collectors. A project like this isnt something done in a day or even in a year, but it's more along the lines of watching a tree grow. If it were me, I would start out with publications that are small and that I know arent copy-written like the 1939 ACC or Card Collector's Bulletin first.

David Kathman has really done an outstanding job with a lot of our hobby history already, so hat tip to you David!

Last edited by topcat61; 10-15-2019 at 12:01 PM.