NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Max Weder

Default eBay: no more *

I just received an email from eBay that said that the wildcard * would no longer be supported due to some recent "search improvements". Most of my wildcard use is to exclude unwanted items, not find more. For example, I want to exclude any item that references post-2000, I list -200* -201*. Now it would appear I have to exclude each year separately.

Any change from eBay that will seem to force us to wade through more irrelevant items
Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 AM
N.ate A.dams

It's not a great decision by eBay. It will take people longer to find their items, which in turn could cause many to not bid nearly as much, and purchases may decrease.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Zach

Maybe they are just hoping after weeding through all those reprints maybe we will just break down and buy some just because they are there and staring us in the face.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default I Wonder...

...whether ebay actually "test markets" this stuff out before foisting it upon its customers.

The wildcard serach is something that is fairly common, I think, in many search engines and is very useful in either including wanted info or excluding unwanted info.

Wait, I just answered my own question. "Very useful" and "ebay" never appear in the same sentence.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Neil

I have a lot of searches for specific decades 192*, 193*, etc. This really screws up my searches!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Shit. I wasn't even aware that you could do that...Damn. I've been typing in individual years to exclude the whole time.. That would've been so much easier.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
Maybe they are just hoping after weeding through all those reprints maybe we will just break down and buy some just because they are there and staring us in the face.
Zack, that's funny, but given all the evidence, there have to be a lot of really dumb people who honestly think that strategy works.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

My favorite part of the e-mail from eBay was when they explained how to adjust your Saved Searches to account for the change. In every example they gave, the search string you had to type in was considerably longer than the one with the *, and still didn't account for spelling errors by sellers.

The reality is, it's pure laziness on the part of eBay's programmers, with eBay's usual "this is for the better of us all" assurances smeared on top. A novice user won't be confused by using wildcards, because they won't use wildcards. Anyone with half a brain can see that removing functionality from the search features does not improve the user's experience.

How long do you think it will be before a third-party site like Goofbay will offer up an eBay search function that still allows wildcards?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Eric Bea.chley

I noticed last night that the format changed again. Took me awhile to search properly.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:26 AM
bi11h00d

f.w.i.w. I never got an email from Ebay regarding this change. I just tried one of my saved searches which uses the * and the search worked just the way it should have. No 20*, 199*, etc. popped up.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:39 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Supposedly Nov. 5 is when it is supposed to take effect for Saved Searches. Looks like they began implementing it earlier for regular searches. I first noticed it when searching completed listings.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Zack, that's funny, but given all the evidence, there have to be a lot of really dumb people who honestly think that strategy works.
It especially cracks me up when a seller creates individual listings for each of the 20 reprints they have.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Steven

They have also removed the "completed transactions" tab - Im sure you can get it for a price?!?

Edited to add: found it, its up top and not on the side

Last edited by rainier2004; 11-03-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

From what I have been reading on forums and blogs it seems this change will help fleabay direct people in a certain way....go figure.