NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-02-2021, 05:04 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
If that's the goal, they could have at least kept pre-1980 cards at $15. How about pre-1945? Throw us a bone, SGC! We are probably nothing but a tiny ripple in the tsunami that has apparently consumed them.
Perhaps SGC can run monthly or quarterly pre-war specials. The material is scarce when compared to post-war.

Pre-1980 cards are abundant. I'm not sure SGC would want to leave the door open for card doctors people to cheaply submit their trimmed sharp commons, hoping for high grades.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-02-2021, 09:13 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

To anybody who has ever run a business this decision is clear and I would ask the members here to walk in the shoes of SGC. What would you do? Maintain turn times? Accept $10 submissions that end up in 12-18 month turn times? You can't have it all, SGC just ramped up to meet demand and maintain quality, then psa shuts down. Just hire more folks is a silly response, they just did that and it's not like hiring line cooks.

Get your knickers in a twist all you want but decide what you want in a grading company. They've been very transparent to folks, they're overwhelmed, don't take it personal, just hold off on the low brow subs until they catch up. They'll drop prices once they catch up, if they don't then you can be outraged.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 04-03-2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

If SGC is comfortable staying in its current dimensions, what can it do to keep submissions down to levels they can comfortably accommodate other than raise prices? It's simple supply and demand economics.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-02-2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:39 AM
Rich Klein

With the tsunami of 2020-21 Panini Prizm about to hit the grading companies I suspect many of these raises have to do with stopping that specific product.

So, right now, what I would if I were Beckett Grading (and I understand many people would not understand why I'm suggesting this), is to raise the BCCG price to $10-20 per card. They are easier to grade *no sub grades*, easier to slab *slightly thinner holder* and actually are made for this specific times. I guarantee you a grader could fly through those cards and BGS could get them out in the reasonable time since the odds are good at this point, if you were popular when the cards came out, you'd be popular when you get the cards back in a couple/few months.

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 04-03-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:18 AM
Howard Chasser

Default They HAVE NOT raised prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If SGC is comfortable staying in its current dimensions, what can it do to keep submissions down to levels they can comfortably accommodate other than raise prices? It's simple supply and demand economics.
They have temporarily eliminated their 2 lowest grading tiers less than $1k value for $35 and less than $499 for $25.

My knee jerk was to be upset, but as a couple of posts have suggested, there are really no good options. They want to maintain rapid turnaround, quality grading and good customer service. Hiring more graders likely can't happen fast enough, so they need to slow the flow of submissions. I'm disappointed I can't submit more cards for a while, but I respect and understand the decision.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:42 AM
Chr$stopher Pett$

How about this. Make it a requirement for all submissions to be performed online. Set the amount of submissions at each tier level at a number that they are able to process per day week etc. The slots would fill electronically and they can control the rate of items received - very easily done with a computer.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:38 AM
Eric Cheng

I think what they should do is tiered pricing for each submitter, first 15 cards are 15 bucks, after first 15, from 15-30 will be at 25, after that 75 each
each submitter can submit once a month for the 15/25 bucks
Old 04-03-2021, 10:31 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Not really unexpected. It was clear the PSA shutdown on submissions would cascade over to SGC, and SGC had warned it would adjust its model to prevent going back to a massive backlog. So I can't fault the business decision, although it's a personal disappointment...was on vacation with the kids this past week and had planned a submission of mid-value vintage cards this week, many of which don't make sense at the new pricing.

Anyway, the options for those on a budget or wanting lower value cards graded are certainly getting limited. Although SGC promises to lower its pricing again (and I hope they do), I think it will be quite a while before we see PSA and SGC offering $20 grading with reasonable turnaround times.

I wonder if CSG will be able to take advantage of this? Do they grade pre-war and other vintage cards? The language on their submission guidelines seems to suggest so, but there is a large carve-out for returning "obscure" issues. CGC certainly has a strong reputation in other collectibles. While I don't love the CSG labels, the current dislocation seems to create a big opportunity for someone....
Old 05-09-2021, 08:09 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.gosgc.com/update-20210509

Now for something entirely different. SGC has just released new pricing to start submissions at $30/card.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:59 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That's good news.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-09-2021, 09:16 AM
Eric Perry

I imagine the sudden price increase practically eliminated new subs for a while. Catching up on the backlog was likely easy to do. Glad to read they've dropped the price back down to a more reasonable level now.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 05-09-2021, 09:29 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Definitely an improvement. I think it was smart for them to get caught up.

Does anyone have any clarity into what types of cards they are grading now? Earlier this year, I was in contact with them and told they no longer grade some of the more esoteric stuff they used to (vintage Japanese baseball cards, for instance). Anyway, I have some older soccer, boxing, etc., that I'd like to get graded along with the baseball so wanted to know if anyone has any clarity into what they do and don't accept.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2021, 12:02 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Same BS, different companies.

IF ANYONE submits at the new rate, they will never lower the price.

Why would they? If 33% of people submit, the work load is less, and the big greedy corporation is ahead of the game.

Like all these "covid related increases" you think they will just go back to regular price.

It's price gouging plain and simple oh based on demand though!
That pretty much nails it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zact View Post
How about this. Make it a requirement for all submissions to be performed online. Set the amount of submissions at each tier level at a number that they are able to process per day week etc. The slots would fill electronically and they can control the rate of items received - very easily done with a computer.
Yep, not very complicated at all.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:01 PM
J. Davila

Deleted

Last edited by ldrunner27; 05-09-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:07 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Interesting. I wonder this if this price will hold up, or if they will reduce it again. The last submission I did with them it was $15/card.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:08 PM
Johnny MaZilli

$30 seems to be a fair sweet sport for the time being... Very Smart By Boca Raton
Old 05-09-2021, 03:23 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Psa

PSA's current minimum is $300. Crazy

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankish View Post

Does anyone have any clarity into what types of cards they are grading now? Earlier this year, I was in contact with them and told they no longer grade some of the more esoteric stuff they used to (vintage Japanese baseball cards, for instance). Anyway, I have some older soccer, boxing, etc., that I'd like to get graded along with the baseball so wanted to know if anyone has any clarity into what they do and don't accept.

Thanks!
From what I've read here, they're only grading maybe half the cards sent in....
Old 05-10-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
https://www.gosgc.com/update-20210509

Now for something entirely different. SGC has just released new pricing to start submissions at $30/card.
Thanks John. I just submitted a batch of cards to them at the $30/card price. When I prepared a submission sheet Saturday it was $75/card so I balked at the price. This is more normal although I still miss the $15/card price for my last submissions last year.
I appreciate your heads up.

tbob
Old 05-10-2021, 05:31 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

No problem. There are also some videos that show the behind the scenes work at SGC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YNOs6Xu80w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVx4REVu-TY
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:41 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Sooner than later these grading folks should implement some dynamic pricing. Demand is high raise prices in real-time. Demand low? Drop those prices. Looks like SGC is attempting that.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 05-10-2021, 07:09 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
Sooner than later these grading folks should implement some dynamic pricing. Demand is high raise prices in real-time. Demand low? Drop those prices. Looks like SGC is attempting that.
Agreed. In my opinion, SGC is attempting to control the inflow of material by tweaking prices.

Hopefully, they'll also begin tinkering with the types of items by offering monthly (weekly, perhaps) specials. I would love to see, for example, a promotion during which T206 cards could be submitted at a discount. Then, a 1956 Topps special. Yes...look at my signature...I'm biased.

These types of narrow promotions wouldn't cause to avalanche of orders they saw when PSA practically shut down. They would also be able to control the issues covered by their promotions.

If executed properly, this strategy would win SGC quite a few customers, especially among vintage collectors.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 05-12-2021, 04:58 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

SGC now dropped the price back down .... to $30, not $25.

I amazes me that they cannot figure out their price structure. I do not mind that they jacked up prices to control flow. it is the only way to stop these idiots from sending in junk. But why is the price not back to $25? When they announced their new business model, presumably they did a lot of work to think about the pricing, and landed on $25. And now all of a sudden it is $30?
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 05-12-2021, 07:03 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankish View Post

Thanks!
In the past month, I sent in a '59 Menko Oh and they graded it. Well, it got an "A" but that was because it was obviously hand cut at an odd angle.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:12 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Simple math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
SGC now dropped the price back down .... to $30, not $25.

I amazes me that they cannot figure out their price structure. I do not mind that they jacked up prices to control flow. it is the only way to stop these idiots from sending in junk. But why is the price not back to $25? When they announced their new business model, presumably they did a lot of work to think about the pricing, and landed on $25. And now all of a sudden it is $30?
$5 X 4000 cards per day = an extra $20K per day for SGC!

In the Video they say they are trying to find the right price to have supply=demand. I get it in concept, but going to be very imperfect in practice.

Video was interesting - thanks for posting.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:49 PM
Robert Klevens

Just be careful on which cards you send to them.

Custom research fees may apply any time the card is outside the norm of what we grade. Examples would include obscure vintage cards, foreign cards, and obscure non-sports cards.
Custom encapsulation fees may apply any time the card is of a different shape or different dimensions from those of the "flagship" vintage sets or standard modern sets that we commonly encapsulate.
That said, the cards would have a maximum grading fee of $80/card if both of those fees were applied and there were no additional value-based upcharges. You would be made aware of any upcharges before the encapsulation of the cards, at which point you could elect to move forward or to have certain cards excluded.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:24 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
Really?? A small business sees a 5-10x increase in demand and has to increase their staff accordingly, acquire/rent more office space, buy new office and production equipment, train a boatload of new employees, revamp their acceptance and outgoing production practices and beef up their online footprint all with no guarantee that the new demand levels are sustainable and you can't see why their previous pricing model might need to change by 20%?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 05-13-2021, 10:19 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Really?? A small business sees a 5-10x increase in demand and has to increase their staff accordingly, acquire/rent more office space, buy new office and production equipment, train a boatload of new employees, revamp their acceptance and outgoing production practices and beef up their online footprint all with no guarantee that the new demand levels are sustainable and you can't see why their previous pricing model might need to change by 20%?
yes, really.
they spent a year doing all of those things you described.... and when the dust settled they came out with a grand public announcement explaining a price increase from $15 to $25. So presumably, the owners figured out their cost structure and biz model and came up with $25 as the right number. after a surge in submissions they moved to $75 to slow the demand, and now a month later they decided $30 was a better number. so 25 could not keep the demand reasonable but 30 will?
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236