NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Our most senior? board member needs some help....

I received an email today from a "new" board member. He is 93 years young and needs a bit of help. This picture, he told me, his dad got for him. It is inscribed to our member himself. Recently it was stolen off of his desk. I know it's a very slim chance but if anyone sees this, it is obviously our members picture...as Ruth signed it personally to him, Jonathan Sternberg, please let me know. I am going to post this on the autograph side too. BTW, I think this could be used as a nice exemplar. It doesn't get much better, imho......Please be on the lookout for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthpic.jpg (44.5 KB, 617 views)

Last edited by Leon; 10-30-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Richard L.

That really sucks...what part of the country is he from? Could possibly end up on craigslist....
Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
That really sucks...what part of the country is he from? Could possibly end up on craigslist....
He is in Pennsylvania. I don't know exactly where.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:55 PM

MAN that sucks... All eyes

Last edited by Sean1125; 10-30-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Joe

Terrible. I hope the idiot that stole it try's to sell it. We are a small group with far reaching fingers. If it pops up in the next 10 years someone will spot it. Jail time for grand theft would be a good place for this scum bag. It had to be someone who knew him or was close to him to get it off his desk. My hunch is it turns up on Craigs list within the month.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Barry Arnold

Default senior board member

terrible news.
i'll certainly keep my eyes open for this gorgeous item.
Brings back memories of the robbery Lionel Carter had to deal with.
Mr. Carter was right at 90 himself.

all the best,
barry
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 PM
And.rew Whi.te

While I hate thieves, I feel there is a special place in hell for those who prey on victims such as this man and Mr. Carter. The elderly are sadly, many times easy marks and to exploit them like this......well the person who did this deserves a beat down of epic proportions.

The Sun Times show is in Chicago in a few weeks and I will keep my eyes open in case it grows wings and ends up blown into the Windy City.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Agreeing with Joe, he should know who it is. Random thieves would not target such an item. They steal what they know and anticipate a quick turnaround, often times having things sold beforehand (if they're familiar with the victim and know what they want). I watch a lot of CSI and other real life shows and also learned that they're on or out to replenish some sort of mood altering substance exactly 112% of the time. This item would be hard to trade for that; would have to be sold. No forced entry?

Not saying this is the case or not, but family members often take advantage of elderly members as well knowing that prosecution may be avoided if they're caught by simply aplogizing and making themselves victims. The elderly can also be slow to point fingers. Anyway, too much TV.

PS: sorry this happened sir.

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 10-30-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 AM
Justin Cur.ze

If anyone sees it on CL or EBay, don't call him out right away or he'll run. Act like you want to follow through with the transaction, or even feign like you're going through with the outright purchase. Especially EBay, where you can trade addresses back and forth for returns and whatnot.

Then we'll nail 'em
Old 10-31-2012, 02:55 AM
Jeff

Thats terrible. I will keep an eye out here in upstate NY.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:25 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle20 View Post
If anyone sees it on CL or EBay, don't call him out right away or he'll run. Act like you want to follow through with the transaction, or even feign like you're going through with the outright purchase. Especially EBay, where you can trade addresses back and forth for returns and whatnot.

Then we'll nail 'em
I agree, but we need one designated "shopper". Otherwise the creep might get 60 emails from board members.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Clayton

Man, that's terrible. What kind of A-hole would steal from a 93 year old man

I would also add maybe he should notify pawn shops in his area, as well as coin shops- and I agree with whoever said it is likely someone he knows.

Good luck, I hope you get it back.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 11-01-2012, 04:35 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I get to a lot

Of the shows auctions an antique markets in eastern PA. I will keep my eyes open for it.