NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Default 19th Century Only is Over Already

Posted By: Joann

At 12:30 (only 6 time extensions)? Is that kind of early. I was on 6 different items, and none of them had a single bid after 11:00 except one I put in on the lot I was really targeting. Nothing else moved. Is that normal? I've not been in one of these before (w/time extensions) and I thought that after 11 it would be much more active.

Joann

Edited for clarity.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Just curious if someone from the board won the lot of E95's. If you have any dupes from the lot and you would be interested in selling, let me know. There were 2 of the 8 cards I needed.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I won that lot and the bender. I would be interested in selling a few. email me.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

did anyone else win anything?

Old 01-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

To whoever won the e102s (and outbid me ) - if you dont need both of the cards, let me know. I would be interested in either one.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I won the Shreve old judge card,wire to wire winner for the opening bid which i placed a couple hours within the auction opening

Old 01-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

lol John - I thought about that Shreve but changed my mind. I won the N172 Boyle (lot 18), which I thought was very cool b/c of the catchers equipment.

I usually go for Detroit players, but haven't been able to find an N172. So this one might show up in BST at some point to trade for a Det player. I don't know though - I really do like the catch equipment.

Joann

Old 01-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Is it me or did GAI (personnel) insert the card in lot 19 upside down? Nooooo, I'm not even trying to turn this into a thumping thread. There were a few neat OJs for sale in that auction.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't know....I didn't bid until about 2 hours before the auction closed for new bids...I bid on about 6 lots.....fell asleep...got up this morning...and won about 4 of them...nothing major but did get one of the weird looking M116's....regards all

Old 01-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

#21 N172 Williamson SGC 30 Nice enough front - tape residue on back & #50 E97 Carrigan SGC 10 - OK front with back damage.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

Just looking through the final prices does it seem like overall the cards went low?

Old 01-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I was interested in only a few items. On the 3 I bid on, I was quickly outbid on. The prices seemed reasonable to me, not too high, but typical of non-ebay auctions.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I think a few lessons can be gleaned from this auction:

1. Having an auction close in mid-January after a slew of major auctions closed in December and just after the holidays isn't such a hot idea. I know I am just plain burned out and paying off the December stuff, and I was not inclined to go hard in this auction unless something really great was there, which it wasn't given my oddball collecting tastes.

2. Lower grade cards of readily located sets are not going to set price records because people just won't chase them in an auction. Many of the T and E cards offered fetched ebay-ish prices because they were Ebay-ish offerings.

3. Many of the cards were GAI graded. I do not think GAI graded cards command the same prices as PSA and SGC cards. My gut feel is that GAI overgrades lower end stuff and I think the prices reflect that.

4. Advertising works. I don't recall receiving anything like the advertising I get from Mastro, Lelands, REA or any of a number of other auctioneers. I recall only a voice mail a few days ago quickly reminding me of the auction close and asking for consignments. I must have gotten dozens of emails from other auctions in December.

5. There are enough auctions already that real price competition for consignors is cutting into lower tier auctioneers' pool of material. Forget 17.5% commissions; with something good to offer the big boys will go 10% too,.and at that rate, I am going to go with the biggest possible house.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

I won the E97 Bransfield in nice shape. I placed several bids after the deadline (having bid on cards earlier) but failed to win the E96 Tubby Spencer or M116 proof of Jones (probably the card Leon won, my luck). Bransfield was #1 on my hit list so I was happy. Like Durham, Nichols and Rossman it is one of the uncommon commons.
I thought the prices were right about where they should have been on the cards, much like an ebay auction.
One note, whoever won the Arrellanes E96 should breathe easier knowing my computer (sucky AOL crapware)crashed as I was placing a higher bid seconds before the 11pm EST deadline for new bids. That at least saved you some bucks, even if I hadn't won the card. I think yours was the only bid so you won it without a fight.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth Nagdeman

Thank you to all that participated in the 19thCenturyOnly winter auction and helping to make it a great success. With only 126 lots the average was 6.78 bids per lot and a 99.93% sell through (Lot #1 & 2 are still available). Historically our auction runs up to 12:30 - 1:00 AM. We have the initial closing time set at 11PM so that most of the action takes place just prior to closing time and usually within the first hour.. We do this so that it is not an auction that runs into the following day and it's not necessary to stay up all night.

There were many record prices and the auction proved that the market is still strong as ever ! Thanks to all of our regular bidders and new bidders in the auction.

We are working hard on our Spring auction and plan to bring another great selection of vintage cards to the marketplace.

Sincerely,
Seth
http://www.19thCenturyOnly.com

Old 01-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

I won that E96 Spencer as well as the E93's of Ames and Donovan. Made a quasi-serious run at the E97 Josh Devore but to no avail.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

This most recent 19th CenturyOnly auction allowed me to reunite, if only through cyberspace, with a former member of my N172 flock.

The card in question is an N172 of James McQuaid, Denvers (Listed in this auction as "Anonymous"). I originally purchased this card a year or two ago from a seller on Yahoo for $120. I sold it later that year on Ebay for about $370. It showed up on Ebay a couple of months ago and sold for under $200. It realized $642 in this auction. I always thought it was a cool card and I hope it found it's way into a nice N172 collection.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Pretty incredible what happens in auctions... you just never know...