NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-04-2023, 06:43 AM
John

Default Will 2023 Oakland A's set modern team record for season losses?

After 60 games of the 2023 season the Oakland A's have 12 wins and 48 losses. That winning percentage of .200 if constant the rest of the season would be 32 or 33 wins. They have lost 14 of their last 16 games that includes an 11 game streak.

By comparison the 1962 NY Mets started their season by losing their first 9 games and had a record of 16-44 after 60 games and finished 40-120 and losing 4 of their last 5 games that season.
They had several long losing streaks including a 17 and 13 game streak.

The 2003 Detroit Tigers also started their season 0-9 and had a record of 16-44 after 60 games and finished 43-119 by winning 5 of their last 6 games. They had several long losing streaks including an 11 and 10 game streak.

Any predictions on wins for the 2023 Oakland A's?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2023, 07:31 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I think they will. As a Mets fan, I kinda hope they don't.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:49 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

The team will never be successful as long as John Fisher owns it. The A's deserve better.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-06-2023, 03:06 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I just hope they make the move sooner then not even playing in there AAA affiliate stadium is playing where they are at.
Their fans deserve better but the reality is not enough fans the the Team to survive and the Stadium is a train wreck.
So regardless who is at fault the move is now needed

But in the lost season why not make it historical

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 06-06-2023, 03:32 PM
John

I think it's about even money at this point if the A's will win more than 40 games.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:36 PM
Jay Shumsky

A's are hot after winning 5 of their last 10. Now up to 16 wins.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:04 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
A's are hot after winning 5 of their last 10. Now up to 16 wins.
Careful with a second half push they may get to 38 wins

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 06-11-2023, 07:28 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Careful with a second half push they may get to 38 wins
They have now won 5 in a row and are 17-50. I'm hoping they get it out of their system and are back to losing by next weekend when the Phillies travel to Oakland.
Old 06-12-2023, 05:32 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
They have now won 5 in a row and are 17-50. I'm hoping they get it out of their system and are back to losing by next weekend when the Phillies travel to Oakland.
I Hope they stay hot or at least warm the rest of the season. I hate seeing bad baseball and when everyone is beating them then the teams in their division have an advantage over the other potential wildcard teams that do not play them as often.

Plus I am not a Phillie fan and I do not enjoy seeing them win. The Phillies are starting to wake up and play to their potential and are 7 and 3 in last 10 and making a move

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 06-13-2023, 09:40 AM
Jay Shumsky

A's now with 6 wins in a row after beating Tampa Bay, the team with the best record in the league, on Monday. Announced attendance for the game was 4848 so not sure they're going to duplicate Major League and change their plans to move to Vegas because of sudden fan interest, but maybe another 20 or 30 wins in a row would help.

They are now 18-50 so just need to go 23-71 (.244 winning %) the rest of the season to top the Mets win total. Amazing what a difference a week can make.
Old 06-13-2023, 12:15 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
A's now with 6 wins in a row after beating Tampa Bay, the team with the best record in the league, on Monday. Announced attendance for the game was 4848 so not sure they're going to duplicate Major League and change their plans to move to Vegas because of sudden fan interest, but maybe another 20 or 30 wins in a row would help.

They are now 18-50 so just need to go 23-71 (.244 winning %) the rest of the season to top the Mets win total. Amazing what a difference a week can make.
wow 4848 people in attendance. ugly #

Hope they resolve their stadium situation and move soon

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 06-14-2023, 04:41 AM
Jay Shumsky

7 in a row and an attendance listed at 27,759. I don't know if that many people really showed up, but it's hard to believe they sold that many tickets since I think their average attendance has been under 10K.

A's are now 1 game ahead of KC so they aren't even the worst team in baseball any more. Maybe the Mets record is safe for another year, although I guess either Oakland or KC could still make it interesting with a few bad weeks.
Old 06-14-2023, 04:53 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
7 in a row and an attendance listed at 27,759. I don't know if that many people really showed up, but it's hard to believe they sold that many tickets since I think their average attendance has been under 10K.

A's are now 1 game ahead of KC so they aren't even the worst team in baseball any more. Maybe the Mets record is safe for another year, although I guess either Oakland or KC could still make it interesting with a few bad weeks.
First off 7 in a Row wow. Scary that 7 in a row and their record does not look better.

They sold alot of tickets because the fans have been promoting doing a Reverse Protest

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 06-14-2023, 06:38 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
First off 7 in a Row wow. Scary that 7 in a row and their record does not look better.

They sold alot of tickets because the fans have been promoting doing a Reverse Protest
I heard that they had 6 wins total in March/April and 6 wins total in May so now 7 in a row in June is pretty amazing.

What is the purpose of the Reverse Protest? Has it now become the plot of Major League?
Old 06-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
I heard that they had 6 wins total in March/April and 6 wins total in May so now 7 in a row in June is pretty amazing.

What is the purpose of the Reverse Protest? Has it now become the plot of Major League?
The fans organized the "Reverse Boycott" to show MLB that the sparse attendance is not the fault of the fans not wanting to go, but that poor ownership and a lack of investment is the culprit.

It seemed like it was a wild night. Very good game (Harris pitched his ass off), very loud all night, choreographed chants, thousands wearing green "SELL" shirts. Oh, and it was also "Bark in the Park" night.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:01 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
The fans organized the "Reverse Boycott" to show MLB that the sparse attendance is not the fault of the fans not wanting to go, but that poor ownership and a lack of investment is the culprit.

It seemed like it was a wild night. Very good game (Harris pitched his ass off), very loud all night, choreographed chants, thousands wearing green "SELL" shirts. Oh, and it was also "Bark in the Park" night.
I watched some of it - the atmosphere was like a real MLB game! The drummers were back, the crowd was huge. Unfortunately it coincided with the approval of the Vegas deal
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 06-14-2023, 04:43 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

A bunch of people, who didn't attend games for years, paid money to the guy they finally showed up to whine about for moving the team they didn't ever go see or support until they gave up and left. I'm not sure why people here thought that not having an embarrassing attendance for 1 game was going to do anything, but I don't understand lots of things. I've heard more about the A's from people who didn't seem to care for the last 15 years this week than I have in the last 15 years combined.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:10 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
A bunch of people, who didn't attend games for years, paid money to the guy they finally showed up to whine about for moving the team they didn't ever go see or support until they gave up and left. I'm not sure why people here thought that not having an embarrassing attendance for 1 game was going to do anything, but I don't understand lots of things. I've heard more about the A's from people who didn't seem to care for the last 15 years this week than I have in the last 15 years combined.
The demise of this franchise started way back when Bud Selig okayed the sale to John Fisher, I have a low opinion of both those people, Fisher who never intended to invest in a winning ball club and is a silver spoon entitled unsuccessful business man whose Schtick is buying sports teams with his Mommys money, and is the furthest thing from a baseball man. Joe Lakob has had a standing offer to buy the team for over a decade.

That Joe Lakob who bought the Warriors, kept them in Oakland, and invested in the team resulting in 4 NBA championships in 8 years. The sport doesn't need Primadonnas like Fisher.

MLB is also to blame. After the announcement fans hung banners asking to sell the Team, when Ryan Noda hit a homer to right MLB cropped out the banners from its video highlights. And later apologized when they were called on their bullshit.

The City of Oakland also bears responsibility for screwing the Pooch, thinking they had more power than everyone else and the arrogance that comes with that.

Bad folks all the way around, and the guy who suffers is the working class fan who cares more about his team than any of the people mentioned. You want an example of what's wrong with society? This clusterfuck is a perfect example.

Bill Veeck, where are we when we need you...

-

Last edited by Casey2296; 06-14-2023 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:35 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
The demise of this franchise started way back when Bud Selig okayed the sale to John Fisher, I have a low opinion of both those people, Fisher who never intended to invest in a winning ball club and is a silver spoon entitled unsuccessful business man whose Schtick is buying sports teams with his Mommys money, and is the furthest thing from a baseball man. Joe Lakob has had a standing offer to buy the team for over a decade.

That Joe Lakob who bought the Warriors, kept them in Oakland, and invested in the team resulting in 4 NBA championships in 8 years. The sport doesn't need Primadonnas like Fisher.

MLB is also to blame. After the announcement fans hung banners asking to sell the Team, when Ryan Noda hit a homer to right MLB cropped out the banners from its video highlights. And later apologized when they were called on their bullshit.

The City of Oakland also bears responsibility for screwing the Pooch, thinking they had more power than everyone else and the arrogance that comes with that.

Bad folks all the way around, and the guy who suffers is the working class fan who cares more about his team than any of the people mentioned. You want an example of what's wrong with society? This clusterfuck is a perfect example.

Bill Veeck, where are we when we need you...
Certainly the A's have not been a high investment team (it's hard to act like the Dodgers and Yankees when nobody goes to your games). The city has done nothing to keep them. Nobody is trying to nominate Fisher for owner of the year. MLB shouldn't censor fan signs or do many things it does. To observe one problem does not mean one is alleging no other problem exists.

The narrative flying around here in the Bay does not stand to even a cursory fact check. From 2005, when Fisher bought the team, to the present day they have won 1,447 games and lost 1,435. Call it .500. Average overall performance. In none of these years, many of them successful winning seasons (4 times they have finished 1st), have they had even average attendance. People have not cared for a long time, even when they are good. They measurably didn't go, win or lose. Tons of people out here whining never went to a game before and didn't care until it was the trendy-subject-of-the-week-to-complain-and-protest-about.

If people don't go, teams leave. That sucks for their ~10,000 actual 'working class' fans (it sucks for me a bit, I like going for $5 in the evening sometimes though I too have fallen off the last few years with the high crime, drug infested BART, and more drug dealers on the walkway), but it's always worked this way. It's harder to spend more when your fans don't bring in nearly what other clubs fans do. It has always worked that way. The fanbase measurably hasn't cared much for a very long time. If people don't go, even when they finish 1st, of course they will leave when they can. If this is the "clusterfuck" that demonstrates "what is wrong with society", then boy are things almost perfect.

I fail to see what bearing the fact that his very successful parents left him money when his father died has to actually do with this. Shame on them for giving their stuff to their child . I'd love to see who the people whining about this leave their money too in their wills. I bet it's a rando.

Last edited by G1911; 06-14-2023 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:56 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Certainly the A's have not been a high investment team (it's hard to act like the Dodgers and Yankees when nobody goes to your games). The city has done nothing to keep them. Nobody is trying to nominate Fisher for owner of the year. MLB shouldn't censor fan signs or do many things it does. To observe one problem does not mean one is alleging no other problem exists.

The narrative flying around here in the Bay does not stand to even a cursory fact check. From 2005, when Fisher bought the team, to the present day they have won 1,447 games and lost 1,435. Call it .500. Average overall performance. In none of these years, many of them successful winning seasons (4 times they have finished 1st), have they had even average attendance. People have not cared for a long time, even when they are good. They measurably didn't go, win or lose. Tons of people out here whining never went to a game before and didn't care until it was the trendy-subject-of-the-week-to-complain-and-protest-about.

If people don't go, teams leave. That sucks for their ~10,000 actual 'working class' fans (it sucks for me a bit, I like going for $5 in the evening sometimes though I too have fallen off the last few years with the high crime, drug infested BART, and more drug dealers on the walkway), but it's always worked this way. It's harder to spend more when your fans don't bring in nearly what other clubs fans do. It has always worked that way. The fanbase measurably hasn't cared much for a very long time. If people don't go, even when they finish 1st, of course they will leave when they can. If this is the "clusterfuck" that demonstrates "what is wrong with society", then boy are things almost perfect.

I fail to see what bearing the fact that his very successful parents left him money when his father died has to actually do with this. Shame on them for giving their stuff to their child . I'd love to see who the people whining about this leave their money too in their wills. I bet it's a rando.
I get it, you blame it on fan support, I blame it on ownership, if Joe Lakob was the owner and the City of Oakland worked together to make this a winning franchise with a new Stadium and exciting marketing there would be no discussion about keeping the team in Oakland, see SF Giants.
If you don't understand the dynamic of generational wealth and self entitled dynamics that's on you, if you don't earn it you don't appreciate it. Fisher is a perfect example of that.

-
Old 06-15-2023, 10:25 PM
Sean McGinty

Don't look now, but somehow the A's no longer have the worst record in the American League.

Kansas City Royals 18-50 0.265
Oakland A's 19-52 0.268
Old 06-16-2023, 12:06 AM
Dennis

It's also important to note the insane season ticket price increases that the A's implemented after the pandemic. I had been a season ticket holder since 2003, albeit a partial plan. My costs increased by 60% before the 2020 season to 2022 when they reopened seating to no distancing.

With this 60% increase, almost all of the season ticket holder benefits were taken away: parking discounts, merchandise discount at the team store, and various food/drink deals.

This is almost the plot to "Major League" to a tee; going into 2022, they raised prices, stripped away benefits, and dismantled the team's roster to its bones that had been on pace to a historically bad record this year prior to this recent winning streak. And it's important to note that the Coliseum is now 57 years old with a plethora of upkeep issues (sewage, infestation, et al.) Unlike the older stadiums like Fenway and Wrigley, the Coliseum is a dilapidated concrete bowl shaped for "multi-purpose use" since they had shared with the Raiders.

As an analogy, assume you had a favorite restaurant that you'd been going to weekly, but this restaurant just replaced all of its staff with unproven junior staff, while raising prices and letting its decor deteriorate, would you blame the customers for not going to this restaurant after the changes or blame the ownership?

In 2014, the A's averaged 25k in attendance when they started that season on an incredibly hot start (66-41 through July 31st) that sputtered into a miserable loss in the wild card game against the Royals.

I'll quickly give one reminder about the team's ownership behavior recently: they were the only team that had avoided paying their minor leaguers $400/week during the 2020 Covid shutdown until enough public pressure forced their hand to comply.

Final note: when I called into sadly cancel my season ticket plan after 18 years, the phone call lasted two minutes with no effort for retention or any substantial conversation about why I wanted to cancel my plan. At best, this doesn't like a smartly-run business to not try to retain loyal customers; at worst, this was a premeditated plan to actively drive customers away.
Old 06-25-2023, 03:16 PM
Jay Shumsky

A's now 20-60 which puts them almost on pace to equal the 1962 Mets. Looks like the 7 game winning streak was an aberration.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:31 PM
John

A quote from Lloyd Christmas seems appropriate.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:44 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
A's now 20-60 which puts them almost on pace to equal the 1962 Mets. Looks like the 7 game winning streak was an aberration.
amazing they could pull off the 7 game winning streak and than lose so many so badly.
Not sure how they pulled it off.
But they may do it again

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 06-26-2023, 09:10 AM
Tom S

Quote:
The 1962 Mets actually went on a 9 win in 12 game streak in May of 1962 before embarking on a 16 game losing streak.

The great thing about baseball is no matter how bad the team is there is usually a small portion of the 162 game schedule where they are actually competent. Gives the fan base a shred of hope.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:33 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I know they have the luxury tax if you spend over certain limits and
I know the bottom revenue teams get that money that they are supposed to use on payroll to make things more competitive
I know they all do not do that

To me there should be a minimum spend level(spending floor) that should be required for a team to spend on payroll

There should be penalties for teams that do not spend to the floor(ie lose the money they get from the luxury tax.

Not fair to the fans but it is also not fair to the teams giving up the money if it is just lining other owners pockets.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 06-29-2023, 07:03 AM

What a game from German. Are there any A's fans left?
Old 06-29-2023, 07:58 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
What a game from German. Are there any A's fans left?
I wonder how many of the over 12K fans were oakland fans vs Fans going to see the Yankees.

Regardless those fans saw history and have the ticket stubs to prove it(if they were not the electronic version)

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 06-29-2023, 10:13 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post

The 2003 Detroit Tigers also started their season 0-9 and had a record of 16-44 after 60 games and finished 43-119 by winning 5 of their last 6 games. They had several long losing streaks including an 11 and 10 game streak.
We all had a meeting as unified Tiger fans and decided that the Bobby Higginson years never happened.

Now with that cleared up... yes, I think they will beat the record.

I quite honestly think the management is acting like a 17 year-old kid quitting at McDonalds as they leave California. It's middle finger in the air as they walk out the door right now.

They want no obstacles in the way as they steam toward Vegas. If it means burning every last remaining bridge with the city and fans, I don't think they care.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:57 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

THe A's are back.

1 Game Winning streak and 5 and 5 in the last 10. and they have already have 24 wins.

They are now on pace to win 44 Games. It will be close.

will they do it? what is the new over/under?

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 07-05-2023, 07:11 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

The As are going to Vegas, Baby, whether they set the record or not, and remember, what happened in Oakland, stays in Oakland.

They will win 51 this year though.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:04 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
The As are going to Vegas, Baby, whether they set the record or not, and remember, what happened in Oakland, stays in Oakland.

They will win 51 this year though.
With a record of 30-80, they will have to go 21-31 the remainder of the season to get to 51 wins...the under looks like the bet on that

Old 08-05-2023, 01:09 PM

I think the Oakland fans are always getting screwed. I just don't get it sometimes. I'm not an Oakland As fan, but I feel sorry for the team. Oakland has always had some rabid fans and I have a lot of Oakland items.

Everyone still thinks Oakland whenever the Raiders are mentioned. Kenny "The Snake" Stabler and his troops! Wow, those were the days! The last football game I attended was a Raiders vs. Chargers game. Not the environment you would want to take a child to. Fighting in the stands, vulgarity every where, fighting in the halls of Jack Murphy stadium, fighting in the parking lot. Crazy Raider fans all dressed up having drunken tail gate parties - it was a crazy time.

I hope the Athletics finish the year strong. I normally don't invest in up-and-coming prospects, but I invested heavily in Brent Rooker. Purchasing several 1 of 1, etc. He finally got a break with Oakland and has done well.

What's a thread without a couple of photos? Here is a Stabler autograph on, believe it not, a Hall of Fame security badge. He died just prior to his election and ceremony, so autographed Hall of Fame items with Stabler's auto are pretty rare. Also, a picture of one of my Rooker cards.

If you're an A's fan - keep the faith!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8601.jpg (191.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg AM05860.jpg (90.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8607.jpg (181.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 2021 Absolute A.jpg (193.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 2021 Select A.jpg (194.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 2017 (2) Bowman Draft Rooker A.jpg (195.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 2021 Optic A.jpg (196.8 KB, 85 views)
Old 08-05-2023, 01:10 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
With a record of 30-80, they will have to go 21-31 the remainder of the season to get to 51 wins...the under looks like the bet on that

I am sticking with my earlier pick of 38.

Hopefully once they make the move, have a new stadium and new review streams hopefully they actually spend to put a worthy product on the field.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-05-2023, 01:32 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I am sticking with my earlier pick of 38.

Hopefully once they make the move, have a new stadium and new review streams hopefully they actually spend to put a worthy product on the field.
They'll need a new owner before they crawl out of the hole the current owner put them in.

-
Old 08-05-2023, 01:57 PM
Tim Odeen

The only Team I can't stand is OKC Thunder, with an owner who stole the Super Sonics. I live in WA. I will root against A's every day once they go to Vegas. This is theft of community culture out of Oakland.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 08-05-2023, 05:04 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
The only Team I can't stand is OKC Thunder, with an owner who stole the Super Sonics. I live in WA. I will root against A's every day once they go to Vegas. This is theft of community culture out of Oakland.

The City politicians are also at fault, their arrogance contributed to the mess. They should have worked with the Haas Family who were fantastic owners.

-
Old 08-06-2023, 01:05 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
The City politicians are also at fault, their arrogance contributed to the mess. They should have worked with the Haas Family who were fantastic owners.
I know relocations are messy and have many factors. But I also disagree with every state and municipality funding essentially private arenas. The deal for the new A's stadium includes tax free advantages for the A's. So what do the tax payers get for giving away $300 mil in tax money? Zilch. It's a free money giveaway to billionaire families. After the tax holiday ends, and the stadium needs upgrades, who has to pay? Tax payers. Further, when the A's owner was asked by politicians how many of his of the jobs he was creating would be full-time he had to admit most jobs would be seasonal.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 08-06-2023, 10:51 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I know relocations are messy and have many factors. But I also disagree with every state and municipality funding essentially private arenas. The deal for the new A's stadium includes tax free advantages for the A's. So what do the tax payers get for giving away $300 mil in tax money? Zilch. It's a free money giveaway to billionaire families. After the tax holiday ends, and the stadium needs upgrades, who has to pay? Tax payers. Further, when the A's owner was asked by politicians how many of his of the jobs he was creating would be full-time he had to admit most jobs would be seasonal.

No doubt, Its interesting to watch arrogant millionaires and arrogant city officials interact.
The current deal that the City came up with to pay for the infrastructure which, lets face it, is a City's job and the owner pays for the Stadium is a fair deal. If the City was proactive and offered that deal to any owners prior to Fisher getting control, the A's would still be in Oakland. Fisher is the worst kind of owner and quite frankly the city deserves him.
We can argue all day long about what the taxpayer pays for, personally I think having multiple sports teams, a vibrant community free from crime, and embracing a strong middle/working class is the way to go.
Oakland has chosen to do none of those things, they have no vision on how to build a more successful community, it's unfortunate.

-
Old 08-07-2023, 07:37 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
No doubt, Its interesting to watch arrogant millionaires and arrogant city officials interact.

The current deal that the City came up with to pay for the infrastructure which, lets face it, is a City's job and the owner pays for the Stadium is a fair deal. If the City was proactive and offered that deal to any owners prior to Fisher getting control, the A's would still be in Oakland. Fisher is the worst kind of owner and quite frankly the city deserves him.

We can argue all day long about what the taxpayer pays for, personally I think having multiple sports teams, a vibrant community free from crime, and embracing a strong middle/working class is the way to go.

Oakland has chosen to do none of those things, they have no vision on how to build a more successful community, it's unfortunate.
Sadly, very few cities have leaders that can execute an effective city vision.

We're having similar problems in Spokane WA. Our county commissioners and Spokane Mayor, plus city council, have failed to navigate our homeless problem that exploded in the years after COVID. They cannot come up with a bipartisan plan. Our neighborhoods all want homeless shelters to provide a safe space, but "not in my backyard." Civic leaders don't have the backbone to ramrod a plan down the voters throats. Last winter we had a homeless camp with many hundreds of occupants because they didn't want the rules they were being forced to accept if they moved into a city funded shelter / private shelters. Here we are at the end of summer and no resolution has been created leading the distinct possibility the camp will come back. The only idea was for someone to try to pass a city ordinance that homeless camps can't be within 500 feet of a school or park, or something like that. That comes after the mayor disallowed sleeping under bridges. Which means....they will now occupy doorsteps of businesses?

Spokane has become a major city but still wants to believe they are small town USA. "We are not Seattle" has been the unofficial slogan since I moved here in 1996. Edit: the Spokane metro area is now 775,000 people.

Last edited by todeen; 08-07-2023 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:04 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

As long as the Politicians are willing to fund stadiums with tax payers dollars are fees (like Hotel/Tourist fees) then the Pro Sports owners will take their money. All Sports sadly does it to funds stadiums and often uses other cities who are willing to do it to try and get a team for their cities as leverage to force the home team to fund it.

Most politicians and multiple parties in the city and no one usually agreeing can usually not work well anyway to cover other issues like taxes, homeless, crime etc.

And the Athletics owner is not the only owner is Pro Sports that suck. Regardless if they spend money or not. Some the the Dolans in NY(Ranges and Knicks) spend money but are lousy and bad with their former players, interferes to much(not so in last few years)

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-26-2023, 06:14 AM
John

The 1962 Mets season record of 40-120 seems safe for another year.

The Royals now have 41 wins and the A's who were 25-67 (.271) at the All-Star break have been 13-24 (.351) since the break and now have 38 wins.

The A's have the same 13-24 record as the Yankees since the All-Star break!!!