NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Dan Brown

Default Victor bat

http://cgi.ebay.com/290604287803
Is anybody watching this Bat? Does it look more like a mushroom than acorn?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Jim Murphy

yes, but it doesn't matter it is a terrific bat in great condition, 35". If you are a bat collector, you should be bidding on this!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
yes, but it doesn't matter it is a terrific bat in great condition, 35". If you are a bat collector, you should be bidding on this!
I agree it's a great bat, but probably out of my league price wise. Do you know when Victor started making bats?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Jim Murphy

pre-1905 on this bat.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Dan Bretta

Victor started making bats in the 1890s.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:48 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

This is the fourth or fifth auction recently that's been "outed" while still active.

I thought we had a rule (perhaps unwritten) that we would not discuss or broadcast items like this until the Auctions' conclusion. Just a courtesy to those who intend to bid (without all the free advertising for the seller).

Perhaps this has been more of a tacit "collector to collector" agreement in the past, and there are no specific rules on Net54 prohibiting this action. But it seems we're seeing a lot more outing of active auctions than ever before.

Leon...
Are there Forum rules advising against this, or have we traditionally kept these things "under the radar" simply out of respect to other prospective bidders?

Either way, thanks for clarifying!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Dan Brown

My apologies if I have broken any rules. I wasn't thinking it would persuade anyone's bidding. I was just trying to gather information about some history of bats. Sorry it won't happen again.
Dan
Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 AM
Jim Murphy

That doesn't make sense to me. Bat collectors find the bats, pennant collectors find them. We are not giving anything away here.

If you take that train of thought, you could not show any bad autograph auctions until they are done also.

Should I announce the I am bidding on an item here so no one else would bid against me

Last edited by murphusa; 08-30-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Dan Bretta

There is no rule against outing auctions..and that's mainly because we don't want to discourage anyone from asking questions on a questionable items. In this case there is no questionable about it...it's an authentic Victor bat..it's probably best to ask questions through PM's or emails on something like this.

With that said..there is very little that slips by anyone on ebay and I'm certain this bat was not going to slip by anyone here that collects vintage bats.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Jim Murphy

when you see a lot of 3 pennants like I posted it is more for the WOW than anything else
Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Just for the record, I don't think it's a big deal either...

I got firmly "scolded" for doing it early in my Net54 tenure, and just needed clarification. This occurred 4 - 5 years ago, so perhaps the attitudes have changed. Or maybe (as Dan said) fewer ebay items are flying under the radar these days, and the "outing" is just not as relevant...

There have been a number of posts I would like to have made, but waited until the auctions were over (for this reason). Many have pertained to Ad/Display Signs that were marginal, in terms of their authenticity. If there are no hard and fast rules against posting active auctions, I may now do the same. Thanks Dan, for clarifying!

Editing to add a final note, and I'll shut up... Wanted to add that I definitely would have missed this Victor Bat, had it not been for Dan's initial post. So good or bad- it did add at least one potential new bidder to the mix. I probably won't win it, so in this case it's likely irrelevant. But it could conceivably push up the price, as I seem to be the top under-bidder a lot these days!

Last edited by perezfan; 08-30-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

I think it's more of a courtesy to other board-member-bidders on items like the Victor bat where there is no question of authenticity. Adding even one bidder to the mix can push up the final price, which is good for the seller, but costs the winner more dough. It may not be a hard-fast rule, but I think everyone likes getting a deal because they're the only serious bidder who spotted an item, and seeing a post like this about an item you're already watching or bidding on virtually eliminates that possibility. Oddball, ill-described, or mis-categorized gems do still slip under the radar on eBay every day. I think of it like a Gold Rush miner: if I find something through diligent searching and keen observation, I don't want anyone trumpeting my find for everyone to see until I've got all the gold secured in my bank lest it should get stolen out from under me.

By all means though, if a sig looks forged or a repro is being passed off as authentic, post those while the auction is still active if possible. You never know who you might save some headache.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Dan Bretta

This bat is listed in the Vintage Sports Memorabilia: Bats category...it wasn't going to slip by a single dedicated bat collector. Maybe this post adds to the pool of bidders who otherwise weren't looking at that category, but it won't affect the final bid one bit IMO.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
This bat is listed in the Vintage Sports Memorabilia: Bats category...it wasn't going to slip by a single dedicated bat collector. Maybe this post adds to the pool of bidders who otherwise weren't looking at that category, but it won't affect the final bid one bit IMO.
Dan I am going to respectfully disagree with you here.
I will use myself as an example -- I'm a very serious and dedicated bat collector, but I also have a job and a life and am not always able to see every listing in the bats category. I just got back from vacation, and have spent the past several days dealing with Irene, so I haven't had the time to pour through ebay listings. I have however checked this board a few times, and if it weren't for the original post, I would never have known about the Victor bat.

Greg
Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
I'm a very serious and dedicated bat collector, but I also have a job and a life
Greg
Then you're not a serious and dedicated bat collector. <---Just kidding!

I still think this one wasn't flying under the radar enough that it will affect the final bid...with all that said it's not the type of auction I think should be outed...but everyone seems to be on the same page about that issue now so no big deal.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Tim Caravella

I am kind of tossed here. I would have not found this bat on ebay as my collection has not got that far yet, but that being said this would be a fantastic item to start with and a beautiful additon to any collection. Being a realatively new vintage collector I have focused on cards, but I have been learning so much about other items here on this board. In the last week alone have purchased my first vintage ash tray (Fatima), and pennant (rare 51 yankee championship) directly off the boards. These items will be displayed in my room and bring a much deeper appreciation of old school baseball then just a bunch of graded cards. Bats, gloves, balls, ads, these things all are in my future and I would hope to continue seeing and learning about them here instead of items being kept a secret until the aution is over. I understand this may cause a few extra bids and higher sale price on an item, but I really don't see an issue with that. If a hard core bat collector really wants this, then they will make it happen.

Tim
Old 08-30-2011, 07:42 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcdyess View Post
I am kind of tossed here.
Assuming you're not British...

But seriously, we can learn just as much about an item from discussing it after the auction as during. There have been plenty of "why did this go for so much" posts that I've learned a good bit from.

I agree that whoever is most determined to get the item will. That's how auctions work. I still think that calling attention to an auction can only make it harder (more expensive) to win, which is why I personally try not to mention auctions I (or anyone I know) am trying to win until afterward. To each his own though.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Assuming you're not British...

But seriously, we can learn just as much about an item from discussing it after the auction as during. There have been plenty of "why did this go for so much" posts that I've learned a good bit from.

I agree that whoever is most determined to get the item will. That's how auctions work. I still think that calling attention to an auction can only make it harder (more expensive) to win, which is why I personally try not to mention auctions I (or anyone I know) am trying to win until afterward. To each his own though.
funny, lets keep things on ebay a secret but the major auction houses want you to see and know about their auctions.

no one is going to steal this bat, it could go for over a grand, 35-36" bats are a premium on regular bats but one that is over 105 years old and from a great older maker. This is special

Last edited by murphusa; 08-30-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Tim Caravella

Think of it as spurring the economy!!!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Don't misunderstand me: From a seller's perspective, it's GOOD to have more eyes on your items. Same goes if you're an auction house or eBay itself for that matter. More eyes = more bidders = higher prices = more money in your and/or your consignor's pocket.

My statements about keeping an item a secret are based on the premise that we're looking at things from a buyer's perspective, and they're all personal preference. If you want to blow trumpets and wave your pile of cash in the air as you drop it in the seller's pocket, you're certainly welcome to. Just keep in mind that by doing so you might have to deposit a bit more in the coffers.

Something else to consider in all this is that it's typically frowned upon (if not outright against the rules) for a seller to come on the boards and tout their own wares outside of the B/S/T section. Is it okay though to have your buddy come on and point to your item listed on eBay? I'm not suggesting that's what the OP was doing, but just something to think about.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 AM
Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post

Something else to consider in all this is that it's typically frowned upon (if not outright against the rules) for a seller to come on the boards and tout their own wares outside of the B/S/T section. Is it okay though to have your buddy come on and point to your item listed on eBay? I'm not suggesting that's what the OP was doing, but just something to think about.

I know you are not judging my character here, I would never encourage such an action. I am from Canada and I never come across items like this up here.
I am still learning about baseball memorabilia and most of my information comes from you wonderful posters, which i appreciate.
I am okay with being straightened out every once in a while.
Dan