NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default Great guys in business together -- what could go wrong?

Aug 5: "The real story is plain boring. Doug Allen had all along let me know when and if I ever want to sell the card, the underbidder wanted it. I recently purchassed the photo archives of The Detrot News, SPORT magazine, and The Detroit Free Press...2.4 million total photos. The sale of the Wagner and other items in my collection partially financed those deals.

Aug 5: "Doug is a great guy. Rob Lifsons a great guy, contrary to what Josh Evans reported at the dinner, Josh is a great guy too, and I have business relationships with them all."

Aug 21: Legendary Auctions Selected to Handle Sale of Massive Sports & Americana Photograph Collection
First all-photograph auction including Detroit News and Sport Magazine archives, Charles Conlon and Ansel Adams images to be held in September event
Lansing, IL, August 21, 2009 — One of the hobby’s high-end collectors has chosen Legendary Auctions, a premier Sports & Americana auction house, to exclusively conduct the sale of more than 3 million incredible images of Sports and Americana. The extraordinary collection of photographs spans numerous decades, and includes significant figures from various sports, poignant scenes from the turn of the century, entertainment icons, and other notable individuals and events in history including the Civil Rights movement. The massive photograph collection will be sold in several upcoming Legendary Auctions events, with the first scheduled to open for bidding on Monday, September 8 and close on Tuesday, September 29 and Wednesday, September 30.

Doug Allen, president and CEO of Legendary Auctions, said he expects bidding and overall interest on the photographs to be high. “Photography has really found its place in collecting,” said Allen. “It is a relatively new niche that has just taken off. We have seen the prices realized on high-quality photos such as the ones we will be offering climb steadily during the l! ast few years.”
While some attribute the appeal of collecting photography to nostalgia, Allen suspects that a much more contemporary trend may be at play. “We live in such a visual age, with an insistence on immediacy,” said Allen. “The need to ‘see’ instantly is paramount to how we work and enjoy our leisure time. Vintage photographs satisfy a collector’s desire to peer directly into the subject’s past. It’s the immediate pay-off that is so in line with how we live today.”
According to Allen, the origins of the tremendous photo collection include several major media print archives. Consequently, the collection includes numerous wire photos and frames that capture significant historical moments. “Buyers will be blown away by the quality and content of these photos,” said Allen.

The first auction featuring the photographs will include famous images from the archives of the Detroit News and Sport Magazine, as well as those framed by noted snapshot artists Charles Conlon, Barney Stein and Ansel Adams.

Allen said that what is most exciting about the photographs is the diversity of their subjects. “In one group you’ll find icons of baseball, in another pile there are stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood. And then you’ll turn over another photo and it i! s the fr ame that captured the moment right after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King on the balcony of the motel in Memphis. Collectively, the photos really are the proverbial ‘snapshot’ of the American experience,” said Allen.

With such inherent variety evident in the photos’ content, Allen expects there to be widespread interest in the photography auctions. “Realistically, no matter what someone collects, there is bound to be a pertinent photo in this September sale,” said Allen. “The sheer number of great photos available almost guarantees it.”

Because of the quantity of photographs Legendary Auctions will be selling in the coming months, the company will be developing an eBay presence, Legendary Photos, to further accommodate the sale of some of the more affordable images in the wide-ranging collection. “Typically, a photo in a regular Legendary Auction may run in the thousands,” said Allen. “Through Legendary Photos on eBay, still amazing but less pricey images will be available for a couple hundred dollars. The utilization of the eBay outlet will simply broaden the appeal and availability of these incredible photos and ensure that they all find their way into collections.”

Additional details regarding the upcoming photographs in subsequent photo auctions will be released during the next few months. For additional details regarding the Legendary Auctions September Photo Auction or for the soon-to-be-implemented Legendary Photos on ebay, or to pre-register to bid, call Legendary Auctions at 708-889-9380 or go to www.legendaryauctions.com .
Old 08-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Matt Wieder

Anyone posting in a thread about auction houses should disclose if they have any current or forthcoming consignments for the sake of transparency.

Last edited by Matt; 08-24-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Maybe he is selling to finance the purchase of a Wagner?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Anyone posting in a thread about auction houses should disclose if they have any current or forthcoming consignments for the sake of transparency.
My guess is that Jeff doesn't have consignments with Mastro or er...Legendary. Otherwise I agree.....
Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Matt, if you go back to look at the thread that I quoted from you'll find that I thought it fairly obvious that money was going back and forth between the poster and Doug. I've found in my experience that when one great guy describes another guy as a great guy, usually money is the grease that oils that relationship, with 'grease' being the operative word in this case.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 AM
David

Default confused newbie

I will be the one who says for many, what and who is this thread all about?? The only thing I can figure out is that its more sarcasm toward Doug Allen, which I don't really disagree with, but what is this post about?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Matt, if you go back to look at the thread that I quoted from you'll find that I thought it fairly obvious that money was going back and forth between the poster and Doug. I've found in my experience that when one great guy describes another guy as a great guy, usually money is the grease that oils that relationship, with 'grease' being the operative word in this case.
I agree - just thought I'd try and add some value to the thread

Last edited by Matt; 08-24-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddbreadman View Post
I will be the one who says for many, what and who is this thread all about?? The only thing I can figure out is that its more sarcasm toward Doug Allen, which I don't really disagree with, but what is this post about?

David,

If you really want to know, wade through this one:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=114597
Old 08-24-2009, 11:16 AM
David

Default thanks

I had figured it out and just got back here, after reading it, to find your response.

He must have another party and maybe needs to purchase a new nicer graded wagner so is using the photos to finance, or just a profitable flip

Last edited by daviddbreadman; 08-24-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 AM

The question is; who is using who more?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
David

All I know is that if I were keeping a likely to fail company in business I'd want an equity stake, but that is just me because I am greedy.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:23 PM

Default Not me...

I wouldn't want any piece of that. Then again, if I had that kind of inventory, I'd have moved it through Heritage, not Legendary. Heritage has a more diverse collector base (especially for non-sport photos), an established eBay presence, and less of the drama.

Then again, I'm a rational person that is more interested in $ than "good guys".

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddbreadman View Post
All I know is that if I were keeping a likely to fail company in business I'd want an equity stake, but that is just me because I am greedy.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned

Default Obvious......

Jeff...you are hilarious. I do agree 100% with your thoughts in regards to the photo situation. No one in their right mind would consign with them right now.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Marsh View Post
Jeff...you are hilarious. I do agree 100% with your thoughts in regards to the photo situation. No one in their right mind would consign with them right now.
Once again Marshall has posted to a thread about Mastro/Legenday which he has informed us he is tired of seeing on this board. hmmmm......
Old 08-24-2009, 01:39 PM
D.B. Cooper

And here I thought I was the only one who knew...
Old 08-24-2009, 01:53 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

If you wash my hand and I wash yours, how can both hands be dirty? Well grasshopper?
Old 08-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Marsh View Post
Jeff...you are hilarious. I do agree 100% with your thoughts in regards to the photo situation.
lol
Old 08-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
David,

If you really want to know, wade through this one:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=114597
It's insider hobby references like Jeff's that probably keep a lot of folks from posting on the board, I reckon.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Jim VB

Snarky comments like that belong in their own thread!

At least I didn't suggest he research it himself!

Last edited by Jim VB; 08-24-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Edited because Rob D is a spelling Nazi.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Banned

Snarky

You obviously didn't attend the Dorskind School of English, Jim.

Or maybe you did. (More smarkeyness.)

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-24-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Jim VB

Damn Community College system!

(Fine. I'll edit it to fix it.)
Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Reason: Edited because Rob D is a spelling Nazi.
The correct term is "copy editor."

Dang, I'm doing it again.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Jim VB

Spelling nazi... copy editor...

You say tomato...
Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Max Weder

The most shocking thing about this thread: Ansel Adams did "snapshots"? Yikes.

"The first auction featuring the photographs will include famous images from the archives of the Detroit News and Sport Magazine, as well as those framed by noted snapshot artists Charles Conlon, Barney Stein and Ansel Adams. "
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Wow!, the Detroit News has (had) some very significant baseball items (Detroit and otherwise, 19th century to present). I'm anxious to see if they will surface over the coming months.

Here is a very small sample: http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/ph...ry/rvm_tigers/
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers