NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1950 to 1959 Baseball cards- B/S/T

Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Default Wanted: Sid Gordon Cards

Posted By: Andy Baran

I sold off most of my collection a couple of years ago, but I still collect cards of my cousin Sid Gordon. I'm hoping to accumulate every card of his that was ever produced, and I am getting very close. I just picked up his 1955 Robert Gould All-Stars card, which I never thought I would find. That leaves me with the following cards that I still need to accomplish my goal:

- 1949 NY Giants Photo Pack (if it is different from the 1948 photo)

- 1952 National Tea Label (Bread Label)

- 1953 Bread for Energy Label (Northland Bread)

- 1953 Marshall Merrell Milwaukee Braves Portfolio (Both Poses Needed)

- 1977 John B. Anderson New York Teams

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

very cool. I picked up an autograph at the National...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 07-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator

He was a 3rd cousin of mine. Unfortunately, he passed away when I was 4 years old, so I never got to meet him. My uncles knew him quite well.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

How exactly were you related to him? Based on the fact that he died when you were 4 years old, I'm guessing that he was a first cousin or second cousin, once or twice removed. For a long time, my mom and dad told me that Lefty Grove and I were third cousins. When I was old enough to understand about the idea of being "removed", I figured out that Lefty and I were actually first cousins, twice removed. I guess my mom didn't wanted to confuse me, so she just said that we were third cousins. (Lefty and my grandmother were first cousins. Since I am two generations removed from my grandmother, that makes Lefty and I first cousins, twice removed.)

First cousins shared the same grandparents. Second cousins share the same great-grandparents. Third cousins shared the same great-great-grandparents. etc, etc, etc.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:37 AM
Administrator

I have no idea exactly what the relationship is. I never understood the "removed" thing. Unfortunately, part of the reason that I never met Sid is that he didn't live to be an old man. He died of a heart attach while playing softball in Central Park in 1975.

One of my uncles was a very good baseball player in High School in Brooklyn, and was getting some attention from some scouts. Sid convinced him to go to college instead (where he also played baseball, but few college grads got attention from the scouts at the time) because he told my uncle that college grads usually had one job, where pro baseball players during that time needed to have a second job in the off-season.