NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2009, 06:22 PM

Default Which E220's would you keep for your set?

I collect low grade cards - not G/VG mind you but generally fair, poor and worse. That being said, I don't care much at all about condition and rarely upgrade an example regardless of how trashed it might be. Of course, if I actually had a choice between two or more examples I'd choose the nicest looking one.

Here's where you come in: below are 5 E220 National Caramel cards: 3 Robert O'Farrells and 2 Harry Hoopers. I already know which cards reside in my set, just curious which of each example you would keep in your own set given the choice. I know many would answer "none of the above" but that's not an option here

Robert O'Farrell

#1: an overall decent looking card and pretty bright but someone sliced the bottom off...and not with a Ginsu.

#2: a card more in tact than #1 but the corners are worn and the card itself is creased up pretty well. Also more dull looking than #1.

#3: Completely trimmed, written on and nameplate has been cut off and reattached further up on Bob's legs.

Harry Hooper

#1: a nice, bright card with sharp corners...and a big ol' tear right through the card. Don't worry, though: it's been taped back together.

#2: the borders and then some have been completely trimmed off. PSA once pre-graded this baby EVID TRIM. I'd say they were dead on, eh?

Looking forward to your opinions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e220.jpg (72.7 KB, 182 views)

Email: check_raze(at)yahoo(dot)com
Old 08-21-2009, 06:25 PM
M@rk Lu7z

I'd keep the middle O'Farrell and the Hooper on the left. On the whole, you don't want to be too picky about condition with this set.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

Jeez, I wasn't aware that e220 borders could be so wide. I have one type card from the set (Shannon, Philadelphia, got him in 1989) and didn't realize that the set didn't have rounded corners until a few years ago when I wrote a set description for my website.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:31 PM

I'd keep the O'Farrel with the bottom sliced off and the Hooper taped back together.

Andy

Last edited by t213; 08-21-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Frank Wakefield

ditto what Mark said...

O'Farrell #2, it's all there, and
Hooper #1, all there, and could be upgraded (to an untorn card) one day.

Those are good looking cards! They look like some of my cards.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Archive

Default Here are my picks

First of all, I have seen a few of these cards before, but I never knew their actual name. I guess I focus too much on the T206 set to notice much else in pre-war cards. I'm slightly familiar with a few others, but not these. Nice looking cards. So here are my choices and why.

Robert O'Farrell - If I owned all three cards, I would keep the center example for a sizing reference & the example on the right. I sometimes like cards with writing and stats on them. I have a few in my collection also.

Harry Hooper - I would keep the example on the left, again because of the fact that it is still in its original size. The tear and tape doesn't bother me at all.

Now, if you would please. Once this thread has run for awhile. Would you give it a bump and tell us which of these examples are in your collection?

Thanks,

Jantz
Old 08-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I'd keep the middle O'Farrell and the Hooper on the left. On the whole, you don't want to be too picky about condition with this set.
Same for me and ditto about picky/condition. I like the e-220 image of Hoop.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Id keep the 2 biggest cards wich seem to be full sized. mainly because E220s are factory cut so the others are all damaged more IMO by being cut down so much.

PS Id rather have a card ripped in 1/2 and taped back.... than a card with surface paper damage (ie tape or glue pulls on front), or heavily trimmed.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 AM

Default My picks

I think I would chose the sliced-off bottom on the O'Farrell card (although in similiar circumstances in the past I might have chosen to keep the 2nd, duller looking but full size card). I would probably keep the first, taped back together card on the Hooper.

It all depends on the set. The E220's are one of my favorite sets, partly because they seem to be all over the place size-wise, and miscuts abound, and thus not favored by the higher condition collectors. They also have plenty of photos not seen in other sets. That Hooper is always been one of my favorite E220's.

And thanks Jim for letting me see some of my messed-up old cards again.

Brian
Old 08-22-2009, 10:10 AM

Default Borders

I have some E220's with top/bottom borders so large it would scare the pants off a turtle...that is of course if turtles wore pants, and were in any way interested in vintage baseball cards.

Brian
Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Now, if you would please. Once this thread has run for awhile. Would you give it a bump and tell us which of these examples are in your collection?

Thanks,

Jantz
Since you asked...and this thread seems to have run it's brief course...

The full-sized but ripped Hooper resides in my set.

As for the O'Farrell, I have actually gone back and forth between the first two examples. I like the crisp image of the slightly trimmed version but I also like the full-sized example too. Currently, the full-sized card fills the spot in my binder.

Thanks to those who chimed in!

Email: check_raze(at)yahoo(dot)com