NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Doug C.

Default 1952 Topps Tommy Glaviano variation

Has anyone else noticed that the 1952 Topps #56 Tommy Glaviano card exists with both a white and yellow backed Cardinals logo? I thought I had stumbled across a variation, but it seems like the white logo is only on black backs and the yellow logo is only on red backs.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Jason Albregts

Now I'm going to have to go home and check mine
Old 08-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Al Richter

Default 52 variations

The Glaviano is one of a few front variations I am aware of in the first 80 cards that are tied to the second printing of those cards in red after black. Boone, Wehmeir, and Kretlow also have clear front differences that are the same depending on the back color. Then too the 3 Sains and Pages, with two different black backs.

I also have 3 variations to the Campos,....regular, black star and missing front upper left border ( I have seen a few of these and it was mentioned in an SCD article recently.

Then there are the 2 Mantle variations, with clear differences on the front and back ( stitching on ball), and the two back variation of Thompson and J. Robinson ( ball stitching on back).

I have the above variations , but would appreciate knowing of others...other than than the 131 to 190 gray backs. I don't plan to attempt those.

I have been told there are front differences that can be found in the Feller ( yellow versus hazy) and Crandall ( red versus orange), but have not found them....although some Feller scans on ebay look to have different backgrounds, it is hard to tell

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-10-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Doug C.

That covers all of the variations that I know of. The most recent one I became aware of was the Campos with part of the border missing.

Last edited by Doug; 08-10-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
The Glaviano is one of a few front variations I am aware of in the first 80 cards that are tied to the second printing of those cards in red after black. Boone, Wehmeir, and Kretlow also have clear front differences that are the same depending on the back color. Then too the 3 Sains and Pages, with two different black backs.

I also have 3 variations to the Campos,....regular, black star and missing front upper left border ( I have seen a few of these and it was mentioned in an SCD article recently.

Then there are the 2 Mantle variations, with clear differences on the front and back ( stitching on ball), and the two back variation of Thompson and J. Robinson ( ball stitching on back).

I have the above variations , but would appreciate knowing of others...other than than the 131 to 190 gray backs. I don't plan to attempt those.

I have been told there are front differences that can be found in the Feller ( yellow versus hazy) and Crandall ( red versus orange), but have not found them....although some Feller scans on ebay look to have different backgrounds, it is hard to tell
I definitely saw both Fellers at the National but I posted here about the obverse differences a while back on Jackie and the Staten Island Scot. The Thompson is more obvious but there are differences on the Jackie too. A search will find that thread.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Randy Trierweiler

The Greyback series is under appreciated in my opinion. Those cards are really hard to find. Took me over two years to find Eddie Kazak after I learned of its existence. I believe the gray backs were issued in Canada only, much like the 1954 Topps 1-50 series.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Al Richter

Default Canadians or Gray backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalcollector View Post
The Greyback series is under appreciated in my opinion. Those cards are really hard to find. Took me over two years to find Eddie Kazak after I learned of its existence. I believe the gray backs were issued in Canada only, much like the 1954 Topps 1-50 series.
I don't under appreciate them. I am just over matched by them
Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalcollector View Post
I believe the gray backs were issued in Canada only, much like the 1954 Topps 1-50 series.
That was always my understanding. Maybe someone can confirm?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Default 52 Gray back Variations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
That was always my understanding. Maybe someone can confirm?
That is my understanding, but Ted Z is the man that can answer for sure. There are 60 gray backs (#131-190).

Here is the original link to that Net 54 discussion:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/57939...id-series+GRAY

Zach