NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2021, 03:27 PM
Michael

Default ebay selling question

I've sold alot on ebay over the years but I now have 3 $1000-$10,000 items. I've never listed such expensive things. Using managed payments is their any chance of getting ripped off buy an unscrupulous buyer like I ship and they cancel payment or is it totally safe? Thanks
Old 08-19-2021, 05:15 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Never 100% safe.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
I've sold alot on ebay over the years but I now have 3 $1000-$10,000 items. I've never listed such expensive things. Using managed payments is their any chance of getting ripped off buy an unscrupulous buyer like I ship and they cancel payment or is it totally safe? Thanks
Michael,

I'm in the same boat as you. Been on Ebay since inception. Theirs not mine! lol

Nothing protects you if a buyer can convince Ebay that you sent an empty box say or lets say you send a $5k item and for whatever reason the tracking fails to upload correctly in the USPS system.

If you have not purchased good insurance or do not have your own, you are at risk of an unscrupulous buyer.

For big items, I just consign to REA. No risk on my part.

Peace, Mike Papariello

Last edited by vthobby; 08-19-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:35 PM

Sometimes you just gotta hope the buyer is a mensch.
Old 08-20-2021, 05:26 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

You're safe. Just make sure you ship it with signature required and take a photo of the card you're selling along with the packing slip showing the order info and the shipping label all together and keep it for your records. That way you can prove what was shipped and that they signed for it upon delivery. I've shipped multiple cards over 10k. Never had a problem. I usually use FedEx express for high value cards.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:40 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
You're safe. Just make sure you ship it with signature required and take a photo of the card you're selling along with the packing slip showing the order info and the shipping label all together and keep it for your records. That way you can prove what was shipped and that they signed for it upon delivery. I've shipped multiple cards over 10k. Never had a problem. I usually use FedEx express for high value cards.
agreed never had issue but also document what you do ie picture putting in box, sealing box, putting on the fedex label for further proof (never had to show ebay this)

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-20-2021, 07:16 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I can tell you from experience, Ebay will not consider a photo as evidence that an item was shipped, too easy to fake it. There is nothing stopping a buyer from filing a false claim or asking for return, then sending a different card or an empty box back.. If you're not comfortable, then send to a reputable auction house.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:18 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I can tell you from experience, Ebay will not consider a photo as evidence that an item was shipped, too easy to fake it. There is nothing stopping a buyer from filing a false claim or asking for return, then sending a different card or an empty box back.. If you're not comfortable, then send to a reputable auction house.
THanks I did not know that. I was advised by people that sell to do it as proof.

But I have never had an issue and I have sold some high end cards on ebay. Although I mostly do it here on the forum, private sales, or Auction Houses as last resort

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-20-2021, 07:27 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
THanks I did not know that. I was advised by people that sell to do it as proof.

But I have never had an issue and I have sold some high end cards on ebay. Although I mostly do it here on the forum, private sales, or Auction Houses as last resort
I had a video of me putting card in the box and sealing the box. Ebay said no, that I could have opened the box and taken the card out, before I mailed it

We had a discussion about this in one of the FB groups, a couple people said Ebay ruled in their favor but the majority said Ebay would not even consider the video or photo.

It couldn't hurt to do it, especially in a large transaction but most likely, it doesn't make a difference.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:34 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

I have personally lost a $500 coin, and the $500 on eBay a few years back. As I have said here before, I Did EVERYTHING I was supposed to do. Shipped registered mail, insured, tracking, signature, you get the idea. 90 Days to the date of receipt he/she/it cancels the transaction. eBay basically says they are out of the loop, then PayPal has some other excuse why they wouldn't cover, I can't recall now, but basically they would not go against the CC company b/c the CC company was working on the buyers behalf or something, again I don't recall. But for sure I lost $500 and the Chinese Gold Panda. I have not sold on eBay since. I now use the dreaded 3rd party consigners everyone here hates, but RP and PWCC have always done right by me.
Thomas Church
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 08-20-2021, 07:41 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
I have personally lost a $500 coin, and the $500 on eBay a few years back. As I have said here before, I Did EVERYTHING I was supposed to do. Shipped registered mail, insured, tracking, signature, you get the idea. 90 Days to the date of receipt he/she/it cancels the transaction. eBay basically says they are out of the loop, then PayPal has some other excuse why they wouldn't cover, I can't recall now, but basically they would not go against the CC company b/c the CC company was working on the buyers behalf or something, again I don't recall. But for sure I lost $500 and the Chinese Gold Panda. I have not sold on eBay since. I now use the dreaded 3rd party consigners everyone here hates, but RP and PWCC have always done right by me.
Thomas Church
Will you continue to use PWCC even though he has since been booted off Ebay?
Old 08-20-2021, 07:49 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Will you continue to use PWCC even though he has since been booted off Ebay?
First, let me say, I have never spoken a word to anyone at PWCC. And I am literally across the country from them, But, I have no problem with them.

However, I will not continue to sell with them I don't think ,as I like the turnaround time and broader eyes that Probstein will have. FWIW , I only sold through my Vault account. A convenience thing I suppose, and No , I have not emptied my Vault. I am going to see how this plays out.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 08-20-2021, 10:22 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Or try private consignment?

This is a plug for a service I offer.

I take items on private consignment, I have a large and growing email list of buyers and do about a show a month. My consignment fee for more expensive items is usually comparable or less than Ebay fees. I have private insurance to cover items to and from me. PM me or email me at hcv123@att.net if you would like to discuss further.

Regarding Ebay - as others have mentioned, I suspect it has more to do with the process unfolding as expected (tracking, delivery confirmation, item as described), etc. than the value of the item. If you choose to do it yourself - private insurance is a great idea and DEFINITELY "adult signature required".

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.