NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Yankeefan51

Default 1915 Suggs

Frank

Sorry for the delay in responding. We were out to dinner with a client

This is only the third Suggs card we have seen for auction in past three years
Accordingly, we would consider it a tough card (population 9) but not among the top 6 non HOFS.

We are very pleased with the card and the beautiful Baltimore uniform

By the way ,over the last 10 years, we have only held 2 PSA 8 1914 Cracker Jacks- neither was for sale.

See you in Baltimore

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Last edited by Yankeefan51; 07-31-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:06 PM

Default i wasnt there to hear the story

maybe i am off base , but randy's set were cards that never made it into original packaging. the set was complete and all together. there were actually 5 sgc 98 gem mints and alot of 96 & 92's. of course being 1914 even an sgc 60 is a very tough find. i didnt mean to say it was a 25 cent mail in, i was referring that this set came from the factory direct. it is the only known set in this grade to surface and with such a minute amount of ex/mt - mint singles out there it shows how rare of a find it really is.

the card stock on the 1915 is so flimsy and thin that its hard to imagine those cards (circulated out of the candy box) remaining in high condition just for the corner wear alone. must have been alot of sets sent out for 25 cents in that year.

with the success of gum cards in the 30s, i am surprised cracker jack did not offer another set, how cool would a cracker jack card be with babe ruth, lou gehrig, and joe dimaggio.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default My only FLer

It's not quite an 8, but it's still pretty sweet and the nicest prewar card I own.

Best,

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (73.4 KB, 241 views)
Old 07-31-2010, 10:10 PM

Default a physical feat or mind bending trick?

Quote:
By the way ,over the last 10 years, we have only held 2 PSA 8 1914 Cracker Jacks- neither was for sale.
did all 4 hands hold the cards at the same time?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Frank Wakefield

Thank you, Bruce. Seems you and I think Suggs is slightly tougher than the others. Anyone else have thoughts on Suggs or any of the others?

I know not of Randy or his set. But getting the cards before they were jammed into candy boxes, that would have been the way to get them. The 1915 cards feel pretty flimsy, until you pick up a 1914 card...

And I agree about subsequent CJ issues. Would it not have been grand if CJ issued about 96 or 120 cards each year, on up to WW II ? Sisler on a Cracker Jack, Hornsby, Dean???
Old 07-31-2010, 10:40 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Would it not have been grand if CJ issued about 96 or 120 cards each year, on up to WW II ?
Indeed.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:09 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

1915 Cracker Jack E145-2
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Jim R

SmithCJb.jpg
Old 08-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Jim R

SmithCJ.jpg
Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Frank Wakefield

Nice card, Cdog, about perfect condition. Great pose, Jim. I like the cards that display those Federal League uniforms well.

Anyone know or think anything about some cards being less plentiful than others? I think Suggs is slightly tougher to locate, and Bruce seems to agree with that. Not a peep outa the rest of you, though.

I think that some of the CJ collections were found with the cards jumbled together, some kids cared not whether a card was 1914 or 1915. In later times collectors sorted them by year, but some of the original kid collectors didn't. That might put a bit of a premium on cards numbered 145 and above from the 1915 set. The Standard Catalog shows a price difference for NM and EX cards 145 and up, but no price difference for lesser condition cards.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Jim R

Suggs is available-each time I have seen the card come up for sale or auction it is in higher grade than what I collect. My collection is mostly vg-vg-ex.
The last one I saw on ebay was a 6, if it was raw I probably would have bid.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Max Weder

Here's one perhaps aided in its past (prior to my purchase) by Mr. Clorox (the uneven edge is simply my bad photo editing)

Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

A nice and tough (IMO) Federal League issue is W530. I know Tinker is identified as the manager of the Chicago Federals. There may be others.

As for CJ's, I don't think there are short prints of the FL players, at least to the extent I was looking for them. I was able to pick up a Kauf and a Plank almost immediately after I decided to get them.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Gee Bruce in post 13 you say this:

3. As for Mr. Suggs- we recently obtained his card from a Board Member who responded to one of our most recent America's Toughest Want List posts.

Yet in your a later post you say you obtained the card in an auction.

You wonder why people question you and treat you the way you do.

What business are you in? If I need services in that area I want to be sure I call you first. I think we would all like the opportunity to hire you.

Lee
Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 PM

Default August 11, 1914 Letter From Ed Harter of Indianapolis

I recently purchased a letter written by Ed Harter of the Indianapolis Federal League. It was written on August 11, 1914 to H.W. Lanigan, editor of The Base Ball World, 1508 W. Dearborn St. Chicago Il.

The letter says
"Dear Sirs, The supply of Base Ball World sent to our Park has been entirely exhausted, in fact the fans fought for them and am glad to advise that the fans didn't leave them lying on the ground but took them home. We had five boys distributing them and the fans curious to know what was being distributed congregated around but their curiousity soon turned to anxiety when they found The Base Ball World and they were nearly all gone. They fairly fought for them. Pleased to state no one was killed in the rush. Federal fans appreciate your dandy paper but no more than we do ourselves. We are certainly for you and appreciate your fairness to our new league. With Kindest Regards"

I am Yours Very Truly,

Ed W. Harter (his actual signature in fountain pen)

Business Manager
Old 08-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Yankeefan51

Default Suggs

That was our mistake- we obtained Suggs privately from a Board member.

Good catch.

Our business is global consulting for world class corporations and mergers and acquisitions. Because of the nature of our work, we do not have a web site.

Thanks for your inquiry

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com
Old 08-29-2010, 04:25 PM

I didn't notice the Suggs card being that much tougher in the set but then again I don't collect the Cracker Jack sets. I sold one on ebay a couple of years ago which was either an SGC 60 or PSA 5 (can't remember which) and it brought a good, not great price.

Last edited by tbob; 08-29-2010 at 04:26 PM.