NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Dave Johnson

Default 1926 Sports Company of America question...

There is a seller on ebay that has numerous cards from this set...all have a blank back. I am only aware of ad back version cards and stat back version cards. Were these maybe cut from a sheet, or are blank back versions - which are being sold in all of the auctions - legitimate? I have some of the golf cards in my own collection, but this appears to be about a complete set of cards from this issue. Any knowledge from anyone here is appreciated.

Dave
Old 04-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Yes Ive actually owned many of the blank back cards. The stock is the same thickness and print is the same quality. I think it was a sheet made for a store display. Ive seen them a couple times in groups on eBay in the past, sort of like what you mentioned now on eBay. All Ive had were sort of badly handcut (years ago?) with the sizes varying a bit, and Ive also seen a few of the bio back cards also handcut too, so the sheets were also known with the back printed as well.

The toughest cards are the "ad back" cards, and obviously the 1927 Ruth variation, and the 1925 preproduction proof cards (see below).

example of 2 blank backs I have now

1925 preproduction proof sheet (sent to Geo Kelly)

The 1925 proof cards are also known as singles, Geo. Kelly was sent a few back in 1925 with a letter asking for his permission to be used in the set, it was a follow up letter asking again after he never replies to the first letter (he rejected the offers), it was for sale on eBay within the last couple years, along with the sheet above and a few of the preproduction proof singles.

example of the back of a single card form the 1925 preproduction proof style cards (also sent to Kelly)

Last edited by fkw; 04-14-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sheets

Since there have been several blank back sheets floating around the hobby for years I always have thought the blank back cards were just cut from them. The fact that Frank says his have looked hand cut validates this somewhat. Still not proof positive but I can't see any reason they would have been issued with blank backs. Here are the 3 different ad backs, including the 1927 copyright w/Ruth on the front. ....Thanks for the info FKW...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phuncsportsco1926x2diffbac.jpg (77.3 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg phunc1927sportscoamericaruth.jpg (77.8 KB, 295 views)

Last edited by Leon; 04-13-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

I found the image of the letter on my old computer...

Here is the Letter sent to George Highpockets Kelly, with some interesting info about the set

wonder why he didnt go for it???

Looks like it was sent during Spring Training 1926... not 1925 as I said earlier.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:35 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Ive owned 3 Joe Sewell cards that were autographed by him (have 2 now, seen below), and seen at least a couple others too. Im thinking each person in the set got 500 free cards ??? Never thought about that before I just reread the letter.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:12 PM

Any thoughts as to whether the ones now on ebay are handcut? Some do look just a touch irregular to me, but still pretty nice if they really are handcut.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default hand cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Any thoughts as to whether the ones now on ebay are handcut? Some do look just a touch irregular to me, but still pretty nice if they really are handcut.
my vote would be hand cut but I am not sure...
Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

What is the background on the 27 Ruth? Is it basically just a second printing like for books? There's a huge premium on this card, and I just don't know if it's worth it. In a way, it seems more like the different years in the Diamond Stars set. The Ad/No Ad seems more like a true different card as opposed to the copyright date.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Yes Handcut, I just looked at them for the first time right now. The left and right borders are narrow (compare to Leon's cards) and some have rough cuts and obvious scissor evidence like the 1st 2 I linked below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1926-Sports-Co-A...-/120711190544

http://cgi.ebay.com/1926-Sports-Co-A...-/120711188009

http://cgi.ebay.com/1926-Sports-Co-A...-/120710790236
Old 04-15-2011, 12:29 AM
J@son M1ller

Default agreed

I agree completely. They look handcut from a full sheet. Some of the cards have a crease in exactly the same place making me think that they were on top of each other on the sheet when the sheet was folded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg folded.jpg (101.3 KB, 223 views)
Old 04-15-2011, 05:43 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

good detective work
Old 04-15-2011, 10:27 AM

The seller has confirmed they are handcut.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Rich v@n He$$

I like this thread and I love this board. I asked Leon earlier, basically, these same questions. Im always impressed and indebted for the knowledge.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:49 PM
John B

There were a bunch of these offered for sale on ebay last week. I was bidding on a Homer Hazel FB card but lost it. I am interested in obtaining this card. Anyone know of the whereabouts of another??
Old 04-27-2011, 03:27 PM
JeR@Me

Default Sports Co. of America

Redemption Coupon in Wax paper :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spalding SportCoAmer Coupon.jpg (36.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Spalding SportCoAmer Coupon Rev.jpg (72.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Spalding SportCoAmer Coupon 2.jpg (39.2 KB, 116 views)
Old 04-27-2011, 04:42 PM
David

Default Sports Co Sheet 'Cards'

Are there any examples that have been graded? If so are they all Authentic or any numeric grades assigned.

I guess I am asking if there is anything definitive linking the sheets to advertising or an actual blank back print sheet that never completed the printing process?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default blank back sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf History View Post
Are there any examples that have been graded? If so are they all Authentic or any numeric grades assigned.

I guess I am asking if there is anything definitive linking the sheets to advertising or an actual blank back print sheet that never completed the printing process?
I have seen approximately 3-5 blank backed sheets in 15 yrs of looking. There was one in the last Legendary Auctions auction. It got a little bit overlooked and went for around 2k....I would bet a few sheets have been cut up though I don't know of any specifically.

Last edited by Leon; 04-27-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Jeff

Here are a couple of sheet cut (ad backs '26). If not they are poorly trimmed.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Like Jeffs Ive also had about 1/2 dozen chopped cards with the bio backs. I say chopped because most were not cut well making me think they were cut along time ago. They were all from the same seller on eBay quite a few years ago.
I havent paid attention to the uncut sheets Ive seen, dont know if they were all blank backed or if some had printing.

Here is the only handcut bio back I have now...