NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2022, 06:31 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Default PSA and publicly available information?

When someone submits cards to PSA for grading, is any of that information public? Possibly through the the registry website (or elsewhere)? Asking because of a strange situation.

About 2 years ago the owner of a local auction house I know had a consignment for a large collection of tobacco cards along with other 'newer' stuff (including a '52 Mantle). So he had his nephew who knew a little about cards send the cards off to PSA for grading. After about 18 months the cards came back graded. A short time after that, maybe a few days to a week, the nephew gets a call from "a major auction house" asking the nephew if he would be interested in consigning the cards to this major auction house for sale. The question that was asked to me was how did the auction house get the contact information?

I don't believe the nephew created a registry profile, or even if he did, his name/location wouldn't be publically available unless he used his name or some other 'searchable' information, such as his real name or the local auction house name.

Am I missing something that is not shady in nature?
Old 12-12-2022, 06:37 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Probably depends on which auction house is the major auction house that did the contacting. Keep in mind that PSA and at least one major auction house are owned by the same parent company.

So I suppose it’s possible that they might share information about cards recently graded by PSA with the auction house.

1963 Post complete panel
1964 Sports Heroes stickers
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-12-2022, 06:55 PM
R0b Sm!th

PSA and Goldin are both owned by the same company. When you submit your cards to PSA, you have the option of having them shipped directly to the Goldin Vault.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:06 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Probably depends on which auction house is the major auction house that did the contacting. Keep in mind that PSA and at least one major auction house are owned by the same parent company.

So I suppose it’s possible that they might share information about cards recently graded by PSA with the auction house.
Are you referring Golden (as Rob mentioned below)? It wasn't them.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:08 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Are you referring Golden (as Rob mentioned below)? It wasn't them.
I was. Interesting that it wasn’t them.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 12-12-2022, 07:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

I am sure major auction houses haver access to information the common man does not. Just how it is. I'm not sure I see any harm here.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-12-2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:17 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I am sure major auction houses haver access to information the common man does not. Just how it is. Was this during Nat's tenure or Joe's?
Yeah, that was the only thing I could come up with, but was wondering if there was any 'legit' method I was missing. Not sure when the tenure falls, but it would have been in the past 3-6 months when they received them back from PSA. With all these cards being new to the market, including a T206 Demmitt St Louis Polar Bear, I could see how the details might 'slip out'.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:24 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I’m sure it’s just PSA likely selling leads to make money on the back end.

I find it interesting that most people don’t know the largest provider of leads to credit card companies and mortgage providers are the credit bureaus themselves. Lead sales are a great way to make easy money for businesses.

Here’s a bit from their privacy practices vague enough to cover sharing-
“ We use the information that we collect to provide and maintain the Website as we deem appropriate in our sole discretion and to provide the Service, and to provide any other services that you and CU agree to. We may also use the information to contact you to further discuss interest in our company, the goods and services that we provide, and to send information regarding our company or partners, such as promotions and events. You may be invited to receive an email newsletter or other correspondence by providing an email address. Your email address and any Personal Information will not be distributed or shared with third parties unless it is to transact such business as you have contracted us to do, to comply with any legal processes and/or law enforcement requests, or in order to conduct any business as we, in our sole subjective discretion, deem reasonable.”

So, per the last part of that statement…”if we feel like it”.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 12-12-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Yeah, that was the only thing I could come up with, but was wondering if there was any 'legit' method I was missing. Not sure when the tenure falls, but it would have been in the past 3-6 months when they received them back from PSA. With all these cards being new to the market, including a T206 Demmitt St Louis Polar Bear, I could see how the details might 'slip out'.
Don't forget Joe Orlando is now at Heritage and obviously he would still know people at PSA. I imagine other major AHs also have ins. People talk, it's human nature.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-12-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:45 PM
Chase

I was told, by someone whom I feel is a reliable source, that at one time someone higher up the ladder would leak submission results to a certain auction house prior to the submitter even knowing the results of their grading.

Of all the activities the top tier grading companies have been...accused of...this seems to not even make the top 10 list but not sure it is appropriate that info be leaked without permission of the submitter but wtf do I know?
Old 12-12-2022, 08:18 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Man, when I finally get back my PSA 5 1975 Topps Steve Foucault, I can't wait for the auction companies to come knocking on my door!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:23 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Man, when I finally get back my PSA 5 1975 Topps Steve Foucault, I can't wait for the auction companies to come knocking on my door!!
Stay strong! Hold out for your cut of 75% of the juice, plus zero listing fees.

1963 Post complete panel