NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-19-2023, 01:38 PM

Default Ebay listing

Down to 6 cards to go for my 1966 set, including the Cimoni/Tovar Rookie Stars hi-number.

I saw this on eBay - to me the corners on the top look too soft for an SGC 6 - I've purchased 4.5s and 5s in SGC holders that were sharp - any reason I should be suspect?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (194.6 KB, 226 views)
Old 06-19-2023, 01:46 PM
Ben North

Looks like a nice 6 to me. If the other cards had sharper corners and lower grades it was because they had other problems.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:53 PM
Eddie Zuercher

Looks like a weak 6 to me but I can see it as a 6
Old 06-19-2023, 02:01 PM

Thanks - it's bidding at 22.60 with 6 hours left. Greg Morris has one which ends at the same time tomorrow - it's EX-EXMINT and is bidding at 11.50.

I think I will grab this one if I can get it for under 30. Not from an SP row, but it seems to command more than most commons in its class.
Old 06-19-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
Not from an SP row, but it seems to command more than most commons in its class.
The 1966 Tovar Rookie Stars card is a SP, it’s on the 3x Mantilla row, the 4x (DP) rows are T Taylor, Salmon, and Northrup.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
The 1966 Tovar Rookie Stars card is a SP, it’s on the 3x Mantilla row, the 4x (DP) rows are T Taylor, Salmon, and Northrup.
Yep - my bad; just checked the slit mock-up and the other thread...
Old 06-19-2023, 05:30 PM

Congrats for being down to 6, I’m down to 6 myself. Fun ride. I have lots of extras, what’s your needs?

Last edited by Elberson; 06-20-2023 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:42 PM
Todd Schultz

Personally, I don't believe that card merits a 6, but I am unclear why you are asking whether you should be "suspect". Do you think someone slipped in an altered card? I assume you buy the card not the holder if you're looking at the Greg Morris card in raw form. In that case, who cares what the number is, so long as you are happy with the appearance.

Good luck whatever you decide. I was very lucky to get mine many years ago, so I have not priced these for a long time. As a Twins fan who grew up watching Cesar play, it remains one of my favorite cards from my favorite set:

[
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:36 PM
Eric Perry

SGC has a cert verification feature on their website. This particular card also has front/back images. From what I can see, the image you posted in this thread is the exact same card SGC posted on their website.

So, it doesn't seem like there's any reason to be suspect about this card.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-20-2023, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberson View Post
Congrats for being down to 6, I’m down to 6 myself. Fun ride. I have lots of extras, what’s your needs?
I need Russ Snyder, Tony Oliva, Billy Williams, Gary Bell and Ron Perranoski (nabbed the Twins rookie last night).

Each of these is in a Greg Morris auction ending later tonight.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
I need Russ Snyder, Tony Oliva, Billy Williams, Gary Bell and Ron Perranoski (nabbed the Twins rookie last night).

Each of these is in a Greg Morris auction ending later tonight.
I won from the same seller the 547 Clark, your list isn’t as bad as mine lol….mays, Koufax, Aaron, and 544. I don’t have extras of the ones you need.

Last edited by Elberson; 06-23-2023 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberson View Post
I won from the same seller the 547 Clark, your list isn’t as bad as mine lol….mays, Koufax, 215 LL, Aaron, 544 and 591. I don’t have extras of the ones you need.
I have a hundred or so extras but they're all 4th series commons.

I have finally disciplined myself to starting with the most expensive cards and working down - I actually buy the latest Beckett Vintage, and literally start with the most expensive (usually Mantle) and go from there. I buy some commons in bunches throughout just so I have some sense of accomplishment.

Best of luck!
Old 06-21-2023, 05:05 PM

BAM! Got all 5 last night from Greg Morris!

Probably overpaid for the Snyder and perhaps the Williams, but I'll take a GM EX-EXMINT Oliva for $10.50 any day.

All I need for the master set now is the Reds pennant rub off - I started another thread on that one - there has to be some sort of scarcity/short print issue with that one.

Maybe by this time next year I'll start dabbling in the 1965 set....
Old 06-21-2023, 06:59 PM

Congrats on getting that 66' done!