NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-08-2021, 12:51 PM

Default A Celebration of Topps: HOF Pitchers

Hi Everyone,

I’m Chris and am just getting into postwar vintage. I wanted to share a project I have started as a celebration of the rich history of Topps.

After doing some research, it is wonderfully coincidental that every Topps set from the landmark 1952 set all the way to 1981 can be represented by every Hall of Fame pitcher who played during that time.

That’s right, each and every year from 1952-81 can be represented by a different HOF pitcher. One per year for 30 straight years with NO omissions, NO repeats (player or year)…and NO rookies. It really is remarkable when you think about it.

Added bonus for avoiding rookies…the dreaded multi-player RC.

Nearly 1/3 of this run would have been affected:

Niekro, Hunter, Jenkins, Carlton, Seaver, Ryan, Sutton, Fingers, Morris

Now, each player can be showcased on their own as they deserve.

Only Lee Smith’s 1982 RC breaks this amazing streak (again, no rookies).

Since my main focus is on each Topps design rather than grade, value, or RC status, it will not only help me keep my budget in check, but will also help me appreciate vintage for how special it is.

My lineup will be based on eye appeal, imagery, and significance of a year to the player if possible.

I’m looking forward to sharing my progress on this unique project with you all, but only plan on picking up 1-2 per month. Slow and steady.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by cjedmonton; 02-05-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:21 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Very cool project. Your picks will be interesting to see. And you must finish up with a photo of all the cards in chronological order.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 11-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Sounds great. I guess you will have to shell out some real money for the 1953 Topps Satchel Paige. I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that Lee Smith breaks the streak. Doesn't he extend the streak to 1982?
Old 11-09-2021, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Sounds great. I guess you will have to shell out some real money for the 1953 Topps Satchel Paige. I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that Lee Smith breaks the streak. Doesn't he extend the streak to 1982?
Paige will be a cost outlier since he’s exclusive to 1953. But if I’m committed to this, he must be included. Will be thrilled with a PSA 1 one day, but I don’t see his prices softening anytime soon.

As for the rest, I have a relatively modest budget for each.

Since there will be no rookies, the earliest Smith could be included is 1983. At least two more pitchers would need to be elected to extend the run beyond 1980 (assuming no 1981 or 1982 RC).

Beyond that, the next eligible year/player right now is 1988 Maddux (2nd year).

Honestly though, I hope the run stays 1952*-1980 since that’s the widely accepted vintage Topps era and there’s something fascinating about how it all aligned so perfectly.

*I do have an emergency plan if Allie Reynolds is somehow inducted this year through the Early Baseball Committee…he has a 1951 Topps issue!

Otherwise, not interested in any post-1980 unless it extends chronologically.

On the other hand, if Kaat is inducted, it will make a nice round total of 30.

Either way, just think it’s really cool that so many consecutive years can be represented by a different HOF pitcher with no gaps, overlaps, or rookies.

Sorry, can you tell I’m ready to get started?

Last edited by cjedmonton; 11-12-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:05 PM

The journey starts today! My first vintage mail day and I can instantly relate to what all the fuss is about.

Card 1 of my 29 card celebration of vintage Topps
Progress: 3.4% complete

1971 Jim Palmer #570
PSA 7
Palmer’s 6th of 19 base Topps cards

Why his ‘71? Vivid color, beautiful contrast. Classic pose of the eventual winningest pitcher of the decade and the emerging ace for that early 70’s juggernaut. Palmer just came off his 1st All-Star nod here, along with his first 20 win season and of course a World Championship. Also, this card features him in the middle of a historic season as one of only two 20 game winning quartets in major league history. For me, a helluva card to kick this project off.

Runner-up year for Palmer: 1977 - Classic Palmer delivery. Distinctly remember having his ‘77 card in my shoebox as a kid.

Runner-up player for 1971: Tom Seaver - Tom Terrific sizing up yet another victim. Go ahead, make his day.

*While not all years/players will have this much narrative, not all make me grin as much as this one. However, they will all be integral to my celebration of the entire vintage Topps era and the Hall of Fame pitchers who represent them.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by cjedmonton; 12-04-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:51 PM
Andrew

Great looking card! I’m also working on a HOF project - trying to get all Topps and Bowman HOF base cards from 1953-85. Maybe I should have gone with a smaller project like yours so I could afford to do it with cards in such good condition.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Sounds great. I guess you will have to shell out some real money for the 1953 Topps Satchel Paige.
Not necessarily, .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paige.jpg (39.2 KB, 896 views)
Old 11-20-2021, 01:06 PM
Curt

Like the contests you run, this will be fun to watch unfold.

I'm sure I'd be frustrated with the restrictions in my own collecting, as I am a visual collector. For example, Ryan has some really great cards, but if he was representing only one spot in his entire career, I'd want that to be 1980. 1971 and 1974 are nice runner-ups. Juan Marichal HAS to have the 74 Topps spot for me, although that horizontal 74 Seaver card is awesome (but Seaver's 77 is iconic to me too). Too many choices, not enough years!
Old 11-20-2021, 01:09 PM

Maybe once through he can add a second card for fun

Then a third…..

Fourth……

Too many great cards, awesome project, will be fun to watch

Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post

I'm sure I'd be frustrated with the restrictions in my own collecting, as I am a visual collector. For example, Ryan has some really great cards, but if he was representing only one spot in his entire career, I'd want that to be 1980. 1971 and 1974 are nice runner-ups. Juan Marichal HAS to have the 74 Topps spot for me, although that horizontal 74 Seaver card is awesome (but Seaver's 77 is iconic to me too). Too many choices, not enough years!
Old 11-20-2021, 01:33 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
Not necessarily, .
Nat,

Porter can be his batterymate!

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 11-20-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustomania View Post
Maybe once through he can add a second card for fun

Then a third…..

Fourth……

Too many great cards, awesome project, will be fun to watch

Chad
I hear you both, loud and clear! There will be some tough decisions, for sure. Love the ‘74 Marichal…but why did Topps have wait till his very last card to showcase that legendary kick?

The ‘80 Ryan ticks all the right boxes, but given my self-imposed constraints, it just wouldn’t be possible. Hard to believe that he isn’t even halfway through his Topps cards at that point, though!

Who knows, I may very well go back and add multiple years at some point, but my collector DNA may have an issue with that. haha As mentioned, I marvel at the synchronicity of it all, and that was the catalyst for even going down this road.

Hope to have a couple more to share by year’s end!

Last edited by cjedmonton; 11-20-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:16 PM

Card 2 of 29
Progress: 6.9% complete
Average grade: 7

1969 Fergie Jenkins #640
PSA 7
Jenkins’ 4th of 19 base Topps cards

Why his ‘69? Tough 7th series from an understated design…perfect for a tough and understated Hall of Famer.

This classic early card of Fergie shows the focus and determination of a young pitcher who had already established himself as the ace of the franchise by this point. Not only that, but he was already regarded as one of the best pitchers in all of baseball as well. His best was yet to come.

Fergie had just come off his second straight 20 win season en route to an amazing 6 straight 20 win campaigns. The NL strikeout leader in ‘69 with 273, Fergie also set the modern Cubs record that year, only to best his own record by 1 the following season…a post-1900 mark that still stands. Naturally, Fergie remains the all time Cubs strikeout leader by a comfortable margin

Runner-up year for Jenkins: 1975 - Outstanding action shot of Jenkins in full stride. Would later learn he had just recorded the greatest pitching season in Texas Rangers history the year before (look it up!). Another memorable card I had as a kid.

Runner-up player for 1969: Tom Seaver - I know, I know…I already had him as the ‘71 runner-up. But could there be any choice other than Seaver in ‘69? I promise it won’t always be him.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 12-04-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:57 AM

So with Kaat being elected how does this shake things up?
Old 12-06-2021, 11:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

I may not be understanding this, why does Lee Smith break the streak?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
So with Kaat being elected how does this shake things up?
Surprisingly little impact.

Only 5 adjustments

Slotted Kaat for mid 60s
Moved Hunter to mid 70s
Moved Sutter back a few years
Moved Carlton and Gossage up a few years

I have decided on the actual years for everyone, but will reveal them as a surprise for those following my progress.

Nice to have an even 30 subjects now representing the first 30 years of regular Topps (1952-81)…at least until 2024. My own 30 for 30 if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I may not be understanding this, why does Lee Smith break the streak?
Lee Smith “breaks the streak” because his RC is in ‘82.

The main goal here is to represent the entire vintage era of Topps with a different Hall of Fame pitcher with no omissions, no repeats, and no rookies.

With Kaat’s induction, every year from 1952-81 can be represented by a different HoF pitcher with no one left out. Just a cool coincidence.

If I expand this to all Topps era HOF pitchers, I can add any of Smith’s non-RC cards along with the other 9 modern guys (Maddux, Glavine, Johnson, Smoltz, Mussina, Hoffman, Martinez, Rivera, Halladay).

But the magic is to be able to assemble a run of 30 consecutive years during Topps’s heyday with every HOF pitcher during that time.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedmonton View Post
Surprisingly little impact.

Only 5 adjustments

Slotted Kaat for mid 60s
Moved Hunter to mid 70s
Moved Sutter back a few years
Moved Carlton and Gossage up a few years

I have decided on the actual years for everyone, but will reveal them as a surprise for those following my progress.

Nice to have an even 30 subjects now representing the first 30 years of regular Topps (1952-81)…at least until 2024. My own 30 for 30 if you will.

Lee Smith “breaks the streak” because his RC is in ‘82.

The main goal here is to represent the entire vintage era of Topps with a different Hall of Fame pitcher with no omissions, no repeats, and no rookies.

With Kaat’s induction, every year from 1952-81 can be represented by a different HoF pitcher with no one left out. Just a cool coincidence.

If I expand this to all Topps era HOF pitchers, I can add any of Smith’s non-RC cards along with the other 9 modern guys (Maddux, Glavine, Johnson, Smoltz, Mussina, Hoffman, Martinez, Rivera, Halladay).

But the magic is to be able to assemble a run of 30 consecutive years during Topps’s heyday with every HOF pitcher during that time.
So in other words every other HOF pitcher in the 82 set already would have been used once in some prior year?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth
So in other words every other HOF pitcher in the 82 set already would have been used once in some prior year?
Exactly. Each year and each pitcher is one and done.

It would take a new inductee with a non-RC in 1982 to continue the run (could add to it with an 83 Smith).

Just my own rules to ensure I showcase the player and Topps design rather than RC status or value.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 12-06-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Exactly. Each year and each pitcher is one and done.

It would take a new inductee with a non-RC in 1982 to continue the run (could add to it with an 83 Smith).

Just my own rules to ensure I showcase the player and Topps design rather than RC status or value.
Tommy John may save you.

But your problem of course is there are only 5 HOF RC pitchers in all the 70s. Compared to 13 in the 60s lol.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-06-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth
Tommy John may save you.

But your problem of course is there are only 5 HOF RC pitchers in all the 70s. Compared to 13 in the 60s lol.
I’d be ok with an ‘82 Tommy John! Who knew he’d still have 7 seasons ahead of him at that point?
Old 12-07-2021, 07:33 AM
Todd Schultz

Best of luck to you on your quest. I started something similar a few years back-- 2 HOFers from each year 1951-80 with Topps, Bowman and '63 Fleer- no dupes and no rookies, but scrapped it when I began focusing more on prewar.

Here's a list of worthy cards from my perspective-- I tried to keep players on teams where they were best or very well known, and with poses I liked:
  1. Bob Feller 1952
    Satchel Paige 1953
    Whitey Ford 1954
    Hal Newhouser 1955
    Bob Lemon 1956
    Early Wynn 1957
    Robin Roberts 1958
    Jim Bunning 1959
    Warren Spahn 1960
    Sandy Koufax 1961
    Juan Marichal 1962
    Hoyt Wilhelm 1963
    Don Drysdale 1964
    Bob Gibson 1965
    Jim Kaat 1966
    Don Sutton 1967
    Gaylord Perry 1968
    Fergie Jenkins 1969
    Phil Niekro 1970
    Jim Palmer 1971
    Bert Blyleven 1972
    Rollie Fingers 1973
    Nolan Ryan 1974
    Catfish Hunter 1975
    Tom Seaver 1976
    Steve Carlton 1977
    Rich Gossage 1978
    Jack Morris 1979
    Dennis Eckersley1980
    Bruce Sutter 1981

I'd be interested in seeing your list.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 12-07-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Best of luck to you on your quest. I started something similar a few years back-- 2 HOFers from each year 1951-80 with Topps, Bowman and '63 Fleer- no dupes and no rookies, but scrapped it when I began focusing more on prewar.

Here's a list of worthy cards from my perspective-- I tried to keep players on teams where they were best or very well known, and with poses I liked:

I'd be interested in seeing your list.
Outstanding. I knew I couldn’t be the only one!

Couple questions:

1. How far along did you get?
2. How did the Bowman/Fleer years factor in if no dupes?
3. What do you mean by “2 HOFers from each year” Both pitchers, or a mix with hitters?

Otherwise, that is a great list. Mine is quite a bit different, but am also focusing on relevant teams/years during their career when possible, plus aesthetics (colors, pose, etc…).

Will post my list shortly (wasn’t going to, but it’s more fun).

Last edited by cjedmonton; 12-07-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:18 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Outstanding. I knew I couldn’t be the only one!

Couple questions:

1. How far along did you get?
2. How did the Bowman/Fleer years factor in if no dupes?
3. What do you mean by “2 HOFers from each year” Both pitchers, or a mix with hitters?

Otherwise, that is a great list. Mine is quite a bit different, but am also focusing on relevant teams/years during their career when possible, plus aesthetics (colors, pose, etc…).

Will post my list shortly (wasn’t going to, but it’s. ore fun).
The list I just posted was compiled yesterday for fun. I used the two cards you already have, although I remember I preferred the 1970 Jenkins and a different Palmer (I had Brooks Robinson and Sparky Anderson for '71).

I will try and dig up my old list. As I think about it, I may have gone back to 1948 so as to cover all major post-war sets. I had a graded minimum requirement of 7 for cards from the 50s, 8 from the 60s and 9 from the 70's (except 1971). I would probably relax that if I tried again, or at least adjust my picks. I remember a '62 Frank Robby was on my list and that card is very hard to find in nm-mt without spending a ton. I think I ended up swapping that for 1967 and putting Marichal there.

I had all HOFers, not just pitchers. I tried to get one from each league for each set, although not always ('53 offered the only "inexpensive" Paige and I really wanted Newhouser on the Tigers). Each set was represented even if from the same year-- in fact, I remember I listed (but never got) the '53 Bowman B&W Casey Stengel. Musial was the '53 Bowman color, as I consider that the most beautiful post-war card ever produced.

I did not get that far, as again, I went pretty much all in to pre-war. I was taking two steps forward and one step back, selling some to buy the old stuff, and when I sold my Musial and '55 Jackie, well, that kind of made me bitter toward the whole project. I jettisoned almost all of it. I regret it very much. My only solace is that I believe all of the cards are readily available if you find the $$$, so I may start over. Heck, you might have inspired a 2022 challenge for me--thanks!
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

So if Tiant is inducted, what effect does that have. I guess just one more year, because you could substitute him for someone still active in 82?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-07-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:11 PM

Very cool, and you’re right that all Topps-era HOFers are readily available. Just depends how much you want to spend. Couldn’t imagine incorporating hitters too. Would just be too overwhelming for me, as amazing as it would be when complete. A 30 player checklist is perfectly manageable with a little patience (40+ if I break down and expand to the modern guys).

My min. grades are way less stringent then yours, but other than the Paige, I have a rough min grade equalling the decade (5 for 1950s, 6 for ’60s, 7 for ‘70s, etc…). Will allow up to two grades higher because again the focus is on the player and year. Can’t justify a PSA 10 for any 70s card, and would much rather have 2 or even 3 other cards toward completion for the same cost.

Agreed on the Paige/Newhouser limitation (Paige being exclusive to 53T eliminates Hal’s only Topps card as a Tiger, as you know). Other than that, there are a lot of options.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 12-17-2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So if Tiant is inducted, what effect does that have. I guess just one more year, because you could substitute him for someone still active in 82?
82 would be the easiest fit if/when Tiant and or John make it…but that’s years away at a minimum. Can barely look ahead to this weekend, it seems! Inevitably, I’d have to relax my “rules”. Would much rather have a mid-70s Tiant/John, so would probably double up on a year.

Anyway, thanks for the interest. Probably a couple weeks out from my next addition.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:44 PM
Todd Schultz

I found an old version of m list--can't recall if it was the last. I added a few players today--last name only. Also see my memory is not that good on the one from each league thing, and I did add a rookie (Maz). This would need to be tweaked if I start again--maybe move Brett into the 80's since Yount will be added anyway, and move Palmer to 1976 to free up a spot. It is tough to get pics of cards you like--no capless, few if any head shots, etc.
  • 1948 BOWMAN SCHOENDIENST, RED
    1949 BOWMAN MIZE, JOHNNY KELL, GEORGE
    1949 LEAF RIZZUTO, PHIL KINER, RALPH
    1950 BOWMAN CAMPANELLA, ROY BOUDREAU, LOU
    1951 TOPPS WYNN, EARLY (RED) DOERR, BOBBY (BLUE)
    1951 BOWMAN ROBERTS, ROBIN IRVIN, MONTE
    1952 TOPPS LEMON, BOB SLAUGHTER, ENOS
    1952 BOWMAN MINOSO DOBY, LARRY
    1953 TOPPS PAIGE, SATCHELL NEWHOUSER, HAL
    1953 BOWMAN STENGEL, CASEY (B&W) MUSIAL, STAN (COLOR)
    1954 TOPPS WILHELM, HOYT SNIDER, DUKE
    1954 BOWMAN FORD, WHITEY REESE, PEE WEE
    1955 TOPPS SPAHN, WARREN ROBINSON, JACKIE
    1955 BOWMAN BARLICK, AL CONLAN, JOCKO
    1956 TOPPS FELLER, BOB WILLIAMS, TED
    1957 TOPPS ASHBURN, RICHIE MAZEROSKI, BILL
    1958 TOPPS FOX, NELLIE MANTLE, MICKEY
    1959 TOPPS DRYSDALE, DON BANKS, ERNIE
    1960 TOPPS LOPEZ, AL AARON, HANK
    1960 LEAF BUNNING, JIM APARICIO, LUIS
    1961 TOPPS CEPEDA, ORLANDO BERRA, YOGI
    1962 TOPPS MATHEWS, EDDIE ROBINSON, FRANK
    1963 TOPPS MARICHAL, JUAN ALSTON, WALTER
    1963 FLEER KOUFAX, SANDY CLEMENTE, ROBERTO
    1964 TOPPS SANTO KILLEBREW, HARMON
    1965 TOPPS GIBSON, BOB MAYS, WILLIE
    1966 TOPPS MCCOVEY, WILLIE KALINE, AL
    1967 TOPPS PALMER, JIM YASTRZEMSKI, CARL
    1968 TOPPS WILLIAMS, BILLY CAREW, ROD
    1969 TOPPS SUTTON, DON BROCK, LOU
    1970 TOPPS WEAVER, EARL JENKINS, FERGIE
    1971 TOPPS ANDERSON, SPARKY ROBINSON, BROOKS
    1972 TOPPS BLYLEVEN BENCH, JOHNNY
    1973 TOPPS SEAVER, TOM MORGAN, JOE
    1974 TOPPS NIEKRO, PHIL PEREZ, TONY
    1975 TOPPS HUNTER, JIM FISK, CARLTON
    1976 TOPPS BRETT, GEORGE WINFIELD, DAVE
    1977 TOPPS RYAN, NOLAN SCHMIDT, MIKE
    1978 TOPPS FINGERS, ROLLIE JACKSON, REGGIE
    1979 TOPPS CARLTON, STEVE STARGELL, WILLIE
    1980 TOPPS PERRY, GAYLORD CARTER, GARY
Old 01-04-2022, 07:15 PM

Well, it has been over a month since my last update, but am glad to add these two to the project today!

A running group photo is in the OP.

I’ve also cut out the fluff narrative and just focused on the key points.

The next one en route is a heavy hitter (player stature, not grade… although I think you’ll appreciate the centering as much as I do).

Thanks for stopping by!

Card 3 of 30

1977 Dennis Eckersley #525
PSA 9
Pop. 257
Eckersley’s’ 2nd of 23 base Topps cards

Runner-up choice for 1977: Nolan Ryan
Runner-up choice for Eckersley: 1980

Card 4 of 30

1979 Jack Morris #251
PSA 9
Pop. 64
Morris’ 2nd of 17 base Topps cards

Runner-up choice for 1979: Rich Gossage
Runner-up choice for Morris: 1981

Last edited by cjedmonton; 01-05-2022 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:44 PM

One of the bigger pickups to this project! More than happy with the “collector” grade. The centering just makes me smile.

Card 5 of 30

1963 Sandy Koufax #210
PSA 5
His 9th of 12 base Topps cards

Runner-up choice for 1963: Don Drysdale
Runner-up choice for Koufax: 1965
Why his ‘63? This is the year he became Koufax. First Cy Young, NL MVP, World Series MVP, Triple Crown, 1st No-hitter, Peak Single Season WAR, etc…

Last edited by cjedmonton; 01-13-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:11 PM

Awesome Koufax, one of my favorites, this set is coming together and really am enjoying the progress. Love your thinking outside the box and this is what it’s all about!!

Well done
Old 01-12-2022, 08:32 PM

How can you describe such a beautiful card as "lesser grade"?
Old 01-13-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
How can you describe such a beautiful card as "lesser grade"?
Sorry, I lost my head. Meant to say “collector grade”
Old 01-21-2022, 02:41 PM

Another nicely centered addition to the project.

Card 6 of 30

1959 Early Wynn #260
PSA 7
His 6th of 9 base Topps cards

Runner-up choice for 1959: Jim Bunning
Runner-up choice for Wynn: 1958
Why his ‘59? This is the year he won the Cy Young Award at the tender age of 39. He would remain the oldest winner for 45 years until Roger Clemens won at age 41. To Wynn’s credit, though, he was voted the top pitcher in all of the majors in ‘59.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:33 PM

With all due respect to Hunter, this one isn’t likely going to excite. But like all the others, it is an important part of my vision for this project.

Card 7 of 30

1978 Catfish Hunter #460
PSA 9
His 14th of 15 base Topps cards

Runner-up choice for 1978: Steve Carlton
Runner-up choice for Hunter: 1974
Why his ‘78? Truth be told, Hunter’s ‘78 was a victim of the logistics required to assemble this run. Not every player/year pairing will be optimal. I originally wanted to feature him in his prime as an Athletic during his Cy Young winning season of ‘74. However, I ultimately settled on someone else. This will be one of the few players shown at or near the end of his career.

Nonetheless, Hunter’s penultimate card in ‘78 shows him in the twilight of his career as a member of the World Champion Yankees. He even won the Series clincher in ‘78 over my beloved Dodgers as he battled newly diagnosed diabetes.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 02-01-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:39 PM

More low hanging fruit, and technically not eligible for this forum, but no less important to the project.

Card 8 of 30

1980 Bruce Sutter #17
PSA 9
His 4th of 13 base Topps cards

Runner-up choice for 1980: Nolan Ryan

Runner-up choice for Sutter: 1978

Why his ‘80? One of the baseball’s elite closers by 1980, this is his first “action” card, and shows him coming off his Cy Young winning ‘79 campaign…the 3rd reliever ever to do so. This would be his last year as a Cub, but donning Cardinal red did not hinder his dominance.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 02-08-2022 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:51 PM

Love this one.

Card 9 of 30

1961 Hoyt Wilhelm #545
PSA 7
His 9th of 20 base Topps cards

Runner-up choice for 1961: Don Drysdale

Runner-up choice for Wilhelm: 1954

Why his ‘61? Just a tough high series card of Old Sarge flashing his legendary knuckleball. He’d ride that epic floater until he was nearly 50 and all the way to Cooperstown as the first reliever ever enshrined.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 02-22-2022 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:07 PM

Just encountered this thread...neat idea and nice cards so far. I noticed Todd's old list that he posted.

1949 BOWMAN MIZE, JOHNNY KELL, GEORGE
1949 LEAF RIZZUTO, PHIL KINER, RALPH
1950 BOWMAN CAMPANELLA, ROY BOUDREAU, LOU
1951 TOPPS WYNN, EARLY (RED) DOERR, BOBBY (BLUE)
1951 BOWMAN ROBERTS, ROBIN IRVIN, MONTE
1952 TOPPS LEMON, BOB SLAUGHTER, ENOS
1952 BOWMAN MINOSO DOBY, LARRY
1953 TOPPS PAIGE, SATCHELL NEWHOUSER, HAL
1953 BOWMAN STENGEL, CASEY (B&W) MUSIAL, STAN (COLOR)
1954 TOPPS WILHELM, HOYT SNIDER, DUKE
1954 BOWMAN FORD, WHITEY REESE, PEE WEE
1955 TOPPS SPAHN, WARREN ROBINSON, JACKIE
1955 BOWMAN BARLICK, AL CONLAN, JOCKO
1956 TOPPS FELLER, BOB WILLIAMS, TED
1957 TOPPS ASHBURN, RICHIE MAZEROSKI, BILL
1958 TOPPS FOX, NELLIE MANTLE, MICKEY
1959 TOPPS DRYSDALE, DON BANKS, ERNIE
1960 TOPPS LOPEZ, AL AARON, HANK
1960 LEAF BUNNING, JIM APARICIO, LUIS
1961 TOPPS CEPEDA, ORLANDO BERRA, YOGI
1962 TOPPS MATHEWS, EDDIE ROBINSON, FRANK
1963 TOPPS MARICHAL, JUAN ALSTON, WALTER
1963 FLEER KOUFAX, SANDY CLEMENTE, ROBERTO
1964 TOPPS SANTO KILLEBREW, HARMON
1965 TOPPS GIBSON, BOB MAYS, WILLIE
1966 TOPPS MCCOVEY, WILLIE KALINE, AL
1967 TOPPS PALMER, JIM YASTRZEMSKI, CARL
1968 TOPPS WILLIAMS, BILLY CAREW, ROD
1969 TOPPS SUTTON, DON BROCK, LOU
1970 TOPPS WEAVER, EARL JENKINS, FERGIE
1971 TOPPS ANDERSON, SPARKY ROBINSON, BROOKS
1972 TOPPS BLYLEVEN BENCH, JOHNNY
1973 TOPPS SEAVER, TOM MORGAN, JOE
1974 TOPPS NIEKRO, PHIL PEREZ, TONY
1975 TOPPS HUNTER, JIM FISK, CARLTON
1976 TOPPS BRETT, GEORGE WINFIELD, DAVE
1977 TOPPS RYAN, NOLAN SCHMIDT, MIKE
1978 TOPPS FINGERS, ROLLIE JACKSON, REGGIE
1979 TOPPS CARLTON, STEVE STARGELL, WILLIE
1980 TOPPS PERRY, GAYLORD CARTER, GARY

The way that it was punctuated created a whole new list of Hall of Famers I was unfamiliar with, or perhaps they are relatives of Hall of Famers:

1949 BOWMAN: JOHNNY KELL
1949 LEAF: PHIL KINER
1950 BOWMAN: ROY BOUDREAU
1951 TOPPS: EARLY (RED) DOERR
1951 BOWMAN: ROBIN IRVIN
1952 TOPPS: BOB SLAUGHTER
1953 TOPPS: SATCHELL NEWHOUSER
1953 BOWMAN: CASEY (B&W) MUSIAL
1954 TOPPS: HOYT SNIDER
1954 BOWMAN: WHITEY REESE
1955 TOPPS: WARREN ROBINSON
1955 BOWMAN: AL CONLAN
1956 TOPPS: BOB WILLIAMS
1957 TOPPS: RICHIE MAZEROSKI
1958 TOPPS: NELLIE MANTLE
1959 TOPPS: DON BANKS
1960 TOPPS: AL AARON
1960 LEAF: JIM APARICIO
1961 TOPPS: ORLANDO BERRA
1962 TOPPS: EDDIE ROBINSON
1963 TOPPS: JUAN ALSTON
1963 FLEER: SANDY CLEMENTE
1965 TOPPS: BOB MAYS
1966 TOPPS: WILLIE KALINE
1967 TOPPS: JIM YASTRZEMSKI
1968 TOPPS: BILLY CAREW
1969 TOPPS: DON BROCK
1970 TOPPS: EARL JENKINS
1971 TOPPS: SPARKY ROBINSON
1973 TOPPS: TOM MORGAN
1974 TOPPS: PHIL PEREZ
1975 TOPPS: JIM FISK
1976 TOPPS: GEORGE WINFIELD
1977 TOPPS: NOLAN SCHMIDT
1978 TOPPS: ROLLIE JACKSON
1979 TOPPS: STEVE STARGELL
1980 TOPPS: GAYLORD CARTER

I guess I need to go out and find a bunch of cards! I imagine Nellie Mantle and Sandy Clemente will cost me a few bucks.

Brian
Old 02-22-2022, 03:52 PM

Expanding to modern as well so all Topps era HoF pitchers will eventually be included.

This is a vintage thread, so won’t showcase any post-1980 on their own.

Doesn’t make them any less important to my vision of this project, though.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 03-10-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:47 PM

Great mailday for this project.

One vintage and 5 modern (okay, junk wax) additions. Those 5 do have a lot going for them, though: low pop, mostly early career, and strong representation from this unforgettable era. With grading fees they way they are, seems hard to justify slabbing too many more of them.

Card 11 of 40

1973 Tom Seaver #350
PSA 7
His 7th of 21 base Topps cards

Why his ‘73? Peak Seaver, pure and simple. 2nd Cy Young. Career high WAR. 2nd World Series appearance. 7th consecutive All-Star appearance. On and on. My first of “The Big 3” 70’s guys.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 03-15-2022 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:33 PM

The modern/junk wing is nearly complete. Just need a 1990 Randy Johnson.

Cards 17-20 of 40

1981 Goose Gossage PSA 9: His 9th of 18 base Topps cards
1991 John Smoltz PSA 10: His 3rd of 22 base Topps cards
1994 Trevor Hoffman PSA 10: His 2nd of 18 base Topps cards
2001 Roy Halladay PSA 10: His 4th of 16 base Topps cards

Last edited by cjedmonton; 03-30-2022 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:08 PM

Back on the vintage track with today’s arrival.

Card 21 of 40

1970 Don Sutton #622
PSA 8
His 5th of 23 base Topps cards

Why his ‘70? Early unassuming card of Mr. Durability himself. These were lean post-Koufax/Drysdale years for the Dodgers, but Sutton was as steady and reliable as they come. Him never spending a single day on the disabled list is a testament to that. The 4th member of the 300 win/3,000 strikeout club, he is still the all time Dodgers leader in wins and strikeouts (but not for long if Kershaw has any say in the matter).

Last edited by cjedmonton; 04-30-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-03-2022, 03:36 PM

Smile Topps Yankees run 1952 to Present

I had the same idea with a Topps run for the Yankees though mine are not graded like yours are. It was a lot of fun creating and manipulating the checklist. I also set the restrictions that I could not repeat a player.

I have also started a HOF Topps run (not just pitchers) I have 1975- 2015 complete and starting to work backwards from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220403_172332[184].jpg (213.6 KB, 353 views)
Old 04-04-2022, 10:50 AM

Great Yankee run!

Will also be adding a ‘58 Ford at some point.

Also like how you chose several HoF pitchers not necessarily known for their days in pinstripes (Niekro, Perry, Johnson, Kaat, etc…).

Last edited by cjedmonton; 04-04-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:23 PM

Smile

Quote:
Great Yankee run!

Will also be adding a ‘58 Ford at some point.

Also like how you chose several HoF pitchers not necessarily known for their days in pinstripes (Niekro, Perry, Johnson, Kaat, etc…).
Thanks and yeah I tried to include all the hall of famers that appeared on Yankees cards except the 1962 Robin Roberts because he never actually pitched in a regular season game.
I will continue to follow your run and good luck
Old 04-30-2022, 10:50 AM

Cards 22 and 23 arrived in the past week.

1967 Gaylord Perry PSA 7 (his 6th of 22 base Topps cards)
1968 Phil Niekro PSA 8 (his 5th of 24 base Topps cards)

Current Progress: 23/40 (58% complete)

Last edited by cjedmonton; 06-03-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:22 AM

After a 3 week hiatus, cards 24-26 are en route:

1965 Bob Gibson PSA 6 (his 7th of 17 base Topps cards)
1966 Jim Kaat PSA 7 (his 7th of 24 base Topps cards)
1990 Randy Johnson PSA 10 (his 2nd of 22 base Topps cards)

The remaining 14 are mostly big names (Paige, Spahn, Feller, Ford, Carlton, Ryan, etc…), so progress has slowed as I knew it would. No rush.

In the meantime, thought I’d share a few pics of the custom box I’m storing them in. Just a single compact place to house the entire project. It holds 50 slabs, so plenty of room for as long as I’m around. 40 current Topps era HOF pitchers, 3 future locks (Kershaw, Verlander, Scherzer), and still room for 7 more if/when they ever get the call (Clemens, Schilling, Tommy John, Luis Tiant, Sabathia, Greinke, etc…).

All in all, I’m having a great time with this. Just wish I had started sooner!

Old 05-23-2022, 07:53 AM
Ian H@ll

That box is awesome!
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 05-23-2022, 06:02 PM

That is an awesome box and collection, can’t say I don’t mind seeing that 63 Koufax either

Not to get too far ahead, but what’s the next project?
Old 05-24-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbymarine View Post
That box is awesome!
Quote:
That is an awesome box and collection, can’t say I don’t mind seeing that 63 Koufax either

Not to get too far ahead, but what’s the next project?
Thanks, gents! Low level homebrew with the box, but it does spruce things up a bit!

I’m kicking around a few ideas once this one is wrapped up, but would prefer allocating my current hobby funds to tracking down these final 14.

1. A “Lefty Louvre” project including all 15 HOF southpaws. Again, no rookies, but a different card for the post-war guys than this Topps era HOF project.

or

2. A pack certified autograph run of every southpaw Cy Young winner (25 total). All but Mike Flanagan have one, I think. Mark Davis might not have one either. Would just get a JSA or PSA/DNA copy for them.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 05-24-2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:47 AM

Update below.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 06-24-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:36 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Nice additions. Bravo on the '65 Gibby - nice card.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)