NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-06-2021, 11:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

I may not be understanding this, why does Lee Smith break the streak?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustomania View Post
So with Kaat being elected how does this shake things up?
Surprisingly little impact.

Only 5 adjustments

Slotted Kaat for mid 60s
Moved Hunter to mid 70s
Moved Sutter back a few years
Moved Carlton and Gossage up a few years

I have decided on the actual years for everyone, but will reveal them as a surprise for those following my progress.

Nice to have an even 30 subjects now representing the first 30 years of regular Topps (1952-81)…at least until 2024. My own 30 for 30 if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I may not be understanding this, why does Lee Smith break the streak?
Lee Smith “breaks the streak” because his RC is in ‘82.

The main goal here is to represent the entire vintage era of Topps with a different Hall of Fame pitcher with no omissions, no repeats, and no rookies.

With Kaat’s induction, every year from 1952-81 can be represented by a different HoF pitcher with no one left out. Just a cool coincidence.

If I expand this to all Topps era HOF pitchers, I can add any of Smith’s non-RC cards along with the other 9 modern guys (Maddux, Glavine, Johnson, Smoltz, Mussina, Hoffman, Martinez, Rivera, Halladay).

But the magic is to be able to assemble a run of 30 consecutive years during Topps’s heyday with every HOF pitcher during that time.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedmonton View Post
Surprisingly little impact.

Only 5 adjustments

Slotted Kaat for mid 60s
Moved Hunter to mid 70s
Moved Sutter back a few years
Moved Carlton and Gossage up a few years

I have decided on the actual years for everyone, but will reveal them as a surprise for those following my progress.

Nice to have an even 30 subjects now representing the first 30 years of regular Topps (1952-81)…at least until 2024. My own 30 for 30 if you will.

Lee Smith “breaks the streak” because his RC is in ‘82.

The main goal here is to represent the entire vintage era of Topps with a different Hall of Fame pitcher with no omissions, no repeats, and no rookies.

With Kaat’s induction, every year from 1952-81 can be represented by a different HoF pitcher with no one left out. Just a cool coincidence.

If I expand this to all Topps era HOF pitchers, I can add any of Smith’s non-RC cards along with the other 9 modern guys (Maddux, Glavine, Johnson, Smoltz, Mussina, Hoffman, Martinez, Rivera, Halladay).

But the magic is to be able to assemble a run of 30 consecutive years during Topps’s heyday with every HOF pitcher during that time.
So in other words every other HOF pitcher in the 82 set already would have been used once in some prior year?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth
So in other words every other HOF pitcher in the 82 set already would have been used once in some prior year?
Exactly. Each year and each pitcher is one and done.

It would take a new inductee with a non-RC in 1982 to continue the run (could add to it with an 83 Smith).

Just my own rules to ensure I showcase the player and Topps design rather than RC status or value.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 12-06-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedmonton View Post
Exactly. Each year and each pitcher is one and done.

It would take a new inductee with a non-RC in 1982 to continue the run (could add to it with an 83 Smith).

Just my own rules to ensure I showcase the player and Topps design rather than RC status or value.
Tommy John may save you.

But your problem of course is there are only 5 HOF RC pitchers in all the 70s. Compared to 13 in the 60s lol.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-06-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth
Tommy John may save you.

But your problem of course is there are only 5 HOF RC pitchers in all the 70s. Compared to 13 in the 60s lol.
I’d be ok with an ‘82 Tommy John! Who knew he’d still have 7 seasons ahead of him at that point?
Old 12-07-2021, 07:33 AM
Todd Schultz

Best of luck to you on your quest. I started something similar a few years back-- 2 HOFers from each year 1951-80 with Topps, Bowman and '63 Fleer- no dupes and no rookies, but scrapped it when I began focusing more on prewar.

Here's a list of worthy cards from my perspective-- I tried to keep players on teams where they were best or very well known, and with poses I liked:
  1. Bob Feller 1952
    Satchel Paige 1953
    Whitey Ford 1954
    Hal Newhouser 1955
    Bob Lemon 1956
    Early Wynn 1957
    Robin Roberts 1958
    Jim Bunning 1959
    Warren Spahn 1960
    Sandy Koufax 1961
    Juan Marichal 1962
    Hoyt Wilhelm 1963
    Don Drysdale 1964
    Bob Gibson 1965
    Jim Kaat 1966
    Don Sutton 1967
    Gaylord Perry 1968
    Fergie Jenkins 1969
    Phil Niekro 1970
    Jim Palmer 1971
    Bert Blyleven 1972
    Rollie Fingers 1973
    Nolan Ryan 1974
    Catfish Hunter 1975
    Tom Seaver 1976
    Steve Carlton 1977
    Rich Gossage 1978
    Jack Morris 1979
    Dennis Eckersley1980
    Bruce Sutter 1981

I'd be interested in seeing your list.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 12-07-2021 at 08:07 AM.