NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-08-2021, 12:51 PM

Default A Celebration of Topps: HOF Pitchers

Hi Everyone,

I’m Chris and am just getting into postwar vintage. I wanted to share a project I have started as a celebration of the rich history of Topps.

After doing some research, it is wonderfully coincidental that every Topps set from the landmark 1952 set all the way to 1981 can be represented by every Hall of Fame pitcher who played during that time.

That’s right, each and every year from 1952-81 can be represented by a different HOF pitcher. One per year for 30 straight years with NO omissions, NO repeats (player or year)…and NO rookies. It really is remarkable when you think about it.

Added bonus for avoiding rookies…the dreaded multi-player RC.

Nearly 1/3 of this run would have been affected:

Niekro, Hunter, Jenkins, Carlton, Seaver, Ryan, Sutton, Fingers, Morris

Now, each player can be showcased on their own as they deserve.

Only Lee Smith’s 1982 RC breaks this amazing streak (again, no rookies).

Since my main focus is on each Topps design rather than grade, value, or RC status, it will not only help me keep my budget in check, but will also help me appreciate vintage for how special it is.

My lineup will be based on eye appeal, imagery, and significance of a year to the player if possible.

I’m looking forward to sharing my progress on this unique project with you all, but only plan on picking up 1-2 per month. Slow and steady.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by cjedmonton; 02-05-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:21 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Very cool project. Your picks will be interesting to see. And you must finish up with a photo of all the cards in chronological order.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 11-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Sounds great. I guess you will have to shell out some real money for the 1953 Topps Satchel Paige. I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that Lee Smith breaks the streak. Doesn't he extend the streak to 1982?
Old 11-09-2021, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Sounds great. I guess you will have to shell out some real money for the 1953 Topps Satchel Paige. I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that Lee Smith breaks the streak. Doesn't he extend the streak to 1982?
Paige will be a cost outlier since he’s exclusive to 1953. But if I’m committed to this, he must be included. Will be thrilled with a PSA 1 one day, but I don’t see his prices softening anytime soon.

As for the rest, I have a relatively modest budget for each.

Since there will be no rookies, the earliest Smith could be included is 1983. At least two more pitchers would need to be elected to extend the run beyond 1980 (assuming no 1981 or 1982 RC).

Beyond that, the next eligible year/player right now is 1988 Maddux (2nd year).

Honestly though, I hope the run stays 1952*-1980 since that’s the widely accepted vintage Topps era and there’s something fascinating about how it all aligned so perfectly.

*I do have an emergency plan if Allie Reynolds is somehow inducted this year through the Early Baseball Committee…he has a 1951 Topps issue!

Otherwise, not interested in any post-1980 unless it extends chronologically.

On the other hand, if Kaat is inducted, it will make a nice round total of 30.

Either way, just think it’s really cool that so many consecutive years can be represented by a different HOF pitcher with no gaps, overlaps, or rookies.

Sorry, can you tell I’m ready to get started?

Last edited by cjedmonton; 11-12-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:05 PM

The journey starts today! My first vintage mail day and I can instantly relate to what all the fuss is about.

Card 1 of my 29 card celebration of vintage Topps
Progress: 3.4% complete

1971 Jim Palmer #570
PSA 7
Palmer’s 6th of 19 base Topps cards

Why his ‘71? Vivid color, beautiful contrast. Classic pose of the eventual winningest pitcher of the decade and the emerging ace for that early 70’s juggernaut. Palmer just came off his 1st All-Star nod here, along with his first 20 win season and of course a World Championship. Also, this card features him in the middle of a historic season as one of only two 20 game winning quartets in major league history. For me, a helluva card to kick this project off.

Runner-up year for Palmer: 1977 - Classic Palmer delivery. Distinctly remember having his ‘77 card in my shoebox as a kid.

Runner-up player for 1971: Tom Seaver - Tom Terrific sizing up yet another victim. Go ahead, make his day.

*While not all years/players will have this much narrative, not all make me grin as much as this one. However, they will all be integral to my celebration of the entire vintage Topps era and the Hall of Fame pitchers who represent them.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by cjedmonton; 12-04-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:51 PM
Andrew

Great looking card! I’m also working on a HOF project - trying to get all Topps and Bowman HOF base cards from 1953-85. Maybe I should have gone with a smaller project like yours so I could afford to do it with cards in such good condition.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Sounds great. I guess you will have to shell out some real money for the 1953 Topps Satchel Paige.
Not necessarily, .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paige.jpg (39.2 KB, 896 views)
Old 11-20-2021, 01:06 PM
Curt

Like the contests you run, this will be fun to watch unfold.

I'm sure I'd be frustrated with the restrictions in my own collecting, as I am a visual collector. For example, Ryan has some really great cards, but if he was representing only one spot in his entire career, I'd want that to be 1980. 1971 and 1974 are nice runner-ups. Juan Marichal HAS to have the 74 Topps spot for me, although that horizontal 74 Seaver card is awesome (but Seaver's 77 is iconic to me too). Too many choices, not enough years!
Old 11-20-2021, 01:09 PM

Maybe once through he can add a second card for fun

Then a third…..

Fourth……

Too many great cards, awesome project, will be fun to watch

Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Like the contests you run, this will be fun to watch unfold.

I'm sure I'd be frustrated with the restrictions in my own collecting, as I am a visual collector. For example, Ryan has some really great cards, but if he was representing only one spot in his entire career, I'd want that to be 1980. 1971 and 1974 are nice runner-ups. Juan Marichal HAS to have the 74 Topps spot for me, although that horizontal 74 Seaver card is awesome (but Seaver's 77 is iconic to me too). Too many choices, not enough years!
Old 11-20-2021, 01:33 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
Not necessarily, .
Nat,

Porter can be his batterymate!

[IMG] [/IMG]