NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-18-2020, 08:40 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
just a simple view from the top of the steps down to my basement where the majority of my collection is displayed.....Back in the early 90's I had a contact who knew someone who worked for the Baltimore Street Department & I was fortunately able to obtain a few used Memorial Stadium street signs...

Bill,

Very nice. Would love to see some pics of your room or better yet stop by and say hi if I'm ever in your area. I bet it's quite impressive.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:02 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Bill,

Very nice. Would love to see some pics of your room or better yet stop by and say hi if I'm ever in your area. I bet it's quite impressive.
Hey Alan:

Anytime you find yourself in SE Pennsylvania, you're welcome to visit.

Funny story along these lines is that I sit on the Board of a local scholarship organization and our main fund raiser each year is a summer Golf Tournament which we invite about 20 or so former ballplayers, as well as a headliner or two.

This particular year one of our headliners was Lee Smith (pre HOF induction) and I volunteered to pick him up at the Phila. airport and to drive him to the hotel where everyone was staying.

For whatever reason we stopped at my home along the way and of course I had to take Lee down into the basement and he seemed to get a kick out of the things I had displayed.

Anyways, later that evening at the reception I was hanging around Lee and the head of the Orioles alumni group (as well as a former PR guy with the club) introduced himself to Smith and Lee shook his hand, pointed to me and said "By the Way, this guy has all your shit."

To this day, we still laugh at that story!
Old 03-18-2020, 06:22 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
The Orioles Class AA affiliate in 1961 was located in Little Rock, Arkansas. The Travelers played in the Southern Association and finished with a record of 80-73. Compared to a few of the other O's affiliates, the Travelers played to a huge average crowd of 1,782.

The team featured a bunch of names that should be familiar to most die hard O's fans. Some played for the Orioles themselves and a few made their name for other teams. These included Cal Ripken Sr, Pat Gillick and Bo Belinsky, Jim Fridley and Bob Nelson. If I remember right, Little Rock produced another pretty good ballplayer.

Dave Nicholson
Really like the Dave Nicholson 8x10. The attendance was better than the few previous posts...
Old 03-18-2020, 06:25 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Hey Alan:

Anytime you find yourself in SE Pennsylvania, you're welcome to visit.

Funny story along these lines is that I sit on the Board of a local scholarship organization and our main fund raiser each year is a summer Golf Tournament which we invite about 20 or so former ballplayers, as well as a headliner or two.

This particular year one of our headliners was Lee Smith (pre HOF induction) and I volunteered to pick him up at the Phila. airport and to drive him to the hotel where everyone was staying.

For whatever reason we stopped at my home along the way and of course I had to take Lee down into the basement and he seemed to get a kick out of the things I had displayed.

Anyways, later that evening at the reception I was hanging around Lee and the head of the Orioles alumni group (as well as a former PR guy with the club) introduced himself to Smith and Lee shook his hand, pointed to me and said "By the Way, this guy has all your shit."

To this day, we still laugh at that story!
Cool story. Was the alumni guy Bill Stetka?
Old 03-18-2020, 06:29 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
just a simple view from the top of the steps down to my basement where the majority of my collection is displayed.....Back in the early 90's I had a contact who knew someone who worked for the Baltimore Street Department & I was fortunately able to obtain a few used Memorial Stadium street signs...

Bill,

I’m partial to street signs that’s for sure. Hopefully we’ll get to see all your signs eventually in the thread. The one pictured on the stairway is extremely nice.

Oh...and I’m with Alan. I want a tour!
Old 03-18-2020, 08:31 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Cool story. Was the alumni guy Bill Stetka?
yes sir
Old 03-19-2020, 02:02 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 79 (March 19, 2020 – 079)

After Brooks’ playing days he remained with the team and was a popular member of the Orioles local television broadcast crew. I guess you would call this picture an oversized snapshot (5x7) of Brooks in his suit that was taken during this time frame.

Day 79 a Snapshot Suit.jpg

The News American television program booklet from 1979. Brooks is wearing a suit in this one as well AND it’s from 1979 on Day 79 so I’m sure it relates in some way…

The TV Book

Day 79 b Publication 1979 The News American August 19.jpg
Old 03-19-2020, 06:03 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mark:

I've never seen that photo or that News American TV Book before (both nice)..

Here is a team photo of the 1960 Fox Cities club which was managed by Earl Weaver (who is sitting next to Cal Ripken Sr.)....Other notables include Pat Gillick (who appears to be air-brushed on the photo), Boog Powell, Dean Chance & Bob Saverine):

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-21-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:11 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1960 Fox Cities Foxes

Quote:
Mark:

Here is a team photo of the 1960 Fox Cities club which was managed by Earl Weaver (who is sitting next to Cal Ripken Sr.)....Other notables include Pat Gillick (who appears to be air-brushed on the photo), Boog Powell, Dean Chance & Bob Saverine):

Thanks Bill. Love the team photo. I believe the front row also pictures Earl's son, Mike Weaver, as a batboy.

I always have a hard time deciding what to share. I guess this was a hint to talk Foxes.

As the photo suggests, the 1960 Fox Cities Foxes were a pretty good team. They finished 82-56 and were a Class B affiliate in the Three-I League, which was Illinois, Iowa and Indiana. The only problem with that is the Foxes resided in Appleton, Wisconsin. In fact, there were no teams from Illinois and Indiana, while teams from Nebraska, Kansas and Wisconsin had franchises in the league.

Here are a few other items from 1960.

1960 Program

1960 Fox Cities Foxes.jpg

1960 Schedule

1960 Fox Cities Foxes (N.Schaefer).jpg

Bill mentioned Dean Chance and Boog Powell

Chance, Dean 1.jpg

Powell, Boog 1.jpg

A few players I've posted earlier, Pete Ward, John Papa and Jim Lehew, appeared for the Foxes as well as Leslie "Buster" Narum, who played briefly with the O's.

Narum, Les 1.jpg
Old 03-19-2020, 03:53 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark:

I've never seen that photo or that News American TV Book before (both nice)..

Definitely have some great players who put on a uniform for the Foxes. Another player looks to be added to the photo as well or am I mistaken?
Old 03-19-2020, 04:46 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Thanks Bill. Love the team photo. I believe the front row also pictures Earl's son, Mike Weaver, as a batboy.

I always have a hard time deciding what to share. I guess this was a hint to talk Foxes.

As the photo suggests, the 1960 Fox Cities Foxes were a pretty good team. They finished 82-56 and were a Class B affiliate in the Three-I League, which was Illinois, Iowa and Indiana. The only problem with that is the Foxes resided in Appleton, Wisconsin. In fact, there were no teams from Illinois and Indiana, while teams from Nebraska, Kansas and Wisconsin had franchises in the league.

Here are a few other items from 1960.

1960 Program

1960 Schedule

Bill mentioned Dean Chance and Boog Powell

A few players I've posted earlier, Pete Ward, John Papa and Jim Lehew, appeared for the Foxes as well as Leslie "Buster" Narum, who played briefly with the O's.
Think we should have retained Chance when we had the option. Oh, well; he went on to have a pretty good career. I “think” I have a picture with Brooks and Chance somewhere.

Really like the Boog photo you chose today. Is that a team issue or just normal photograph?
Old 03-20-2020, 01:58 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 80 (March 20, 2020 – 080)

Ok, this may sound a little weird, but I really like collecting the small portrait shots of Brooks the newspapers used for the paper. Now, I don’t really have a lot of them, but would like to get as many different ones that I don’t have. So, if you have any please send them my way…

July 2, 1961 Brooks Robinson small portrait for newspaper

Day 80 a Photo 1961 Portrait newspaper.jpg
Day 80 b Photo 1961 Portrait newspaper back.jpg

July 31, 1966 Brooks Robinson small portrait for newspaper

Day 80 c Picture 1966 Portrait newspaper front.jpg
Day 80 d Picture 1966 Portrait newspaper back.jpg
Old 03-20-2020, 06:10 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Very cool photos Mark!

Here is a Press Credential from the 1983 ALCS signed/inscribed by series MVP, Mike Boddicker:

Old 03-20-2020, 06:31 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Day 80 (March 20, 2020 – 080)

Ok, this may sound a little weird, but I really like collecting the small portrait shots of Brooks the newspapers used for the paper. Now, I don’t really have a lot of them, but would like to get as many different ones that I don’t have. So, if you have any please send them my way…

July 2, 1961 Brooks Robinson small portrait for newspaper

Attachment 389946
Attachment 389947

July 31, 1966 Brooks Robinson small portrait for newspaper

Attachment 389948
Attachment 389949

Mark,

As I mentioned in a previous post, these small photos are actually part of sheets that the Orioles would provide to newspapers, magazines, etc. Many of them correspond to the Morton Tadder 8x10 photos and help to identify the year or range of years. Sometimes the same photo was used over a period of years. I'll check my duplicates when I get back to Maine.

Here are the Brooks Robinson sheets from 1967-1977.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1967 Team 2.jpg (56.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 1968 Team 2.jpg (56.2 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 1969 Team 2.jpg (57.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 1970 Team 2.jpg (60.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 1971 Team 1.JPG (76.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 1972 Tadder 3.jpg (70.2 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 1973 Tadder 4.jpg (55.9 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 1974 Tadder 2.jpg (71.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 1975 Tadder 2.jpg (72.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 1976 Tadder 3.jpg (69.8 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 1977 Tadder 1.jpg (76.1 KB, 123 views)
Old 03-20-2020, 02:49 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Very cool photos Mark!

Here is a Press Credential from the 1983 ALCS signed/inscribed by series MVP, Mike Boddicker:]
Id ultimately would like to acquire more memorabilia items from the 1983 season. I only have a few miscellaneous items. Again I think the autograph enhances the piece in this instance.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:54 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,

As I mentioned in a previous post, these small photos are actually part of sheets that the Orioles would provide to newspapers, magazines, etc. Many of them correspond to the Morton Tadder 8x10 photos and help to identify the year or range of years. Sometimes the same photo was used over a period of years. I'll check my duplicates when I get back to Maine.

Here are the Brooks Robinson sheets from 1967-1977.
Alan,

Thanks for checking for me once you return. Most of the small portrait shots that I have are small, cut from the sheets, but some are larger like the ‘66 I pictured. That one is around 3x5; do you think the newspaper’s just enlarged the photo from the sheet?
Old 03-20-2020, 04:13 PM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Alan,

Thanks for checking for me once you return. Most of the small portrait shots that I have are small, cut from the sheets, but some are larger like the ‘66 I pictured. That one is around 3x5; do you think the newspaper’s just enlarged the photo from the sheet?
Good question. I've never seen one as big as 3x5. I suppose they could have enlarged the photo, depending what they needed it for in the newspaper.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:28 PM

Possibly the most unique card ever published. A picture is Wirth a thousand words.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:31 PM

Default Please delete this post

[QUOTE=rkrolewicz;1963701]Possibly the most unique card ever published. A picture is Wirth a thousand words.[/QUOT.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:04 AM
M@rk Comer

Default 1964 Baltimore Orioles

Day 81 (March 21, 2020 – 081)

The Orioles were making quite a run for the pennant in 1964. The O’s were in a in a tight three-way battle with the Yankees and the White Sox for the American League pennant. The Orioles did fall short in ’64, but it was a really good year for the Birds.

Pennant Fever album

Day 81 Album Pennant Fever - Front.jpg
Day 81 Album Pennant Fever - Back.jpg
Old 03-21-2020, 07:42 AM
Alan Strout

Default Baltimore Orioles

Quote:
Day 81 (March 21, 2020 – 081)

The Orioles were making quite a run for the pennant in 1964. The O’s were in a in a tight three-way battle with the Yankees and the White Sox for the American League pennant. The Orioles did fall short in ’64, but it was a really good year for the Birds.
Mark,

As a 6 year old, 1964 was the first year I paid much interest to baseball. My dad loved baseball, but didn't cheer for any particular team. Growing up in Maine, I didn't realize I was supposed to be a Red Sox fan. I fell in love with the Orioles and Brooks Robinson. I don't remember really collecting anything until a couple years later when I discovered baseball cards.

Here are a few programs from that memorable 1964.

The regular season programs featured Brooks Robinson on one of the covers and I've always wondered if the batter silhouette on the other program isn't also Brooks. Looks like a shaved helmet to me.

1964 Program #1.jpg 1964 Program #2.jpg

Newspapers back then provided scorecards for their readers.

1964 News American.jpg 1964 Sunpapers.jpg

Several programs celebrated local business nights.

1964 Bethlehem Steel Family Night.jpg 1964 Martin Family Night.jpg

When a team is successful, they also attract the attention of local car dealers. Ford vs Chevy...

1964 Bob Davidson.jpg 1964 Fox Chevrolet.jpg
Old 03-21-2020, 10:34 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mark:

You're correct in that 1960 team photo the player on the top row on the right
was also photo shopped in.

Here is a team photo/program from the 1962 Fox Cities club. That team now had Cal Ripken Sr. as a player/manager and included Eddie Watt. I love how someone colored in the program (dated inside as May 28th) cover....

Old 03-21-2020, 11:15 AM
Bill H@e1ig

About 10 years ago, Cal Ripken Sr. was inducted into the Appleton Baseball Hall of Fame & they gave out a Bobblehead to commemorate the occasion:

Old 03-21-2020, 12:55 PM
Alan Strout

Default 1962 fox Cities Foxes

Quote:
Mark:

Here is a team photo/program from the 1962 Fox Cities club. That team now had Cal Ripken Sr. as a player/manager and included Eddie Watt. I love how someone colored in the program (dated inside as May 28th) cover....

Bill,

I love how I'm slowly converting you and Mark to minor league guys.

The 1962 Foxes moved from the Three-I League and Class B affiliation to the Midwest League and dropped to a Class D team. They finished 61-63 and along with Cal Ripken Sr and Eddie Watt featured another future Oriole. Tom Fisher appeared in 2 games for the 1967 Orioles.

Fisher, Tom 1.jpg

Fisher, Tom.jpg

Career minor leaguer, Steve Cosgrove, also pitched for the Foxes

Cosgrove, Steve 1.jpg
Old 03-21-2020, 02:13 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,

As a 6 year old, 1964 was the first year I paid much interest to baseball. My dad loved baseball, but didn't cheer for any particular team. Growing up in Maine, I didn't realize I was supposed to be a Red Sox fan. I fell in love with the Orioles and Brooks Robinson. I don't remember really collecting anything until a couple years later when I discovered baseball cards.

Here are a few programs from that memorable 1964.

The regular season programs featured Brooks Robinson on one of the covers and I've always wondered if the batter silhouette on the other program isn't also Brooks. Looks like a shaved helmet to me.

Newspapers back then provided scorecards for their readers.

Several programs celebrated local business nights.

When a team is successful, they also attract the attention of local car dealers. Ford vs Chevy...
Thanks for a great background on your beginning of being an Orioles fan. Glad you didn’t go with the Red Sox.

Sure looks like a silhouette is of the same photo just reverse/inverted (you know what I mean). Gotta be Brooks (at least we’ll go with it).

Chevy wins!
Old 03-21-2020, 02:15 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark:

You're correct in that 1960 team photo the player on the top row on the right
was also photo shopped in.

Awesome program! It has it all...
Old 03-21-2020, 03:40 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
About 10 years ago, Cal Ripken Sr. was inducted into the Appleton Baseball Hall of Fame & they gave out a Bobblehead to commemorate the occasion:
Looks like a well made bobblehead.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:12 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 82 (March 22, 2020 – 082)

Brooks has throughout his career as well as post career conducted signings in many different venues (I can’t count that high…). I have a few advertisements for these events and today we have a small poster type ad for an event sponsored by ScreenMates which is an apparel company. This signing occurred on January 22nd, but I’m not sure of the year since I didn’t personally attend and too lazy (I mean too busy) to try to find out.

MEET Brooks Robinson small poster ad

Day 82 a 1.jpg
Old 03-22-2020, 07:48 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1961 Fox Cities Foxes

Over the last week, the thread has highlighted the 1960 and 1962 Fox Cities teams. I thought I would fill in the gap today, with the 1961 Foxes.

1961 marked the last year that the Foxes played in the Class B Three-I League. The following year they would drop to Class D. They finished 67-62 and were again managed by Earl Weaver.

1961 Fox Cities Foxes.jpg

1961 Fox Cities Foxes 1.jpg

Several future Orioles would play for the Foxes, including Dave McNally, in his first year of pro ball. Others were Sam Bowens, John Miller, Herm Starrette and Dave Vineyard.

McNally, Dave 1.jpg

Bowens, Sam 1.jpg

Miller, John 1.jpg

Starrette, Herm 1.jpg

Vineyard, Dave 1.jpg

A couple others in the team photo included Jim Leggett and future Orioles trainer Ralph Salvon.

Liggett, Jim 1.jpg

Ralph Salvon with his mentor Eddie Weidner

Multi-Player (Weidner, Salvon).jpg
Old 03-22-2020, 08:37 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mark:

I took a peek at past calendars & noted that in 1993 January 22nd was on a Friday....Since Brooks is shown with Camden Yards in the background, it has to be post '92....Of course it could be '97, but I'd bet on 1993.

Here is a team photo of the 1963 Aberdeen (SD) Pheasants, which was a Class D team in the Northern League who finished 65-55.

The club was once again managed by Cal Ripken Sr. and other notables include both Eddie Watt & Andy Etchebarren (who had made his MLB debut the previous September):

Old 03-22-2020, 08:48 AM
Bill H@e1ig

While this game used bat wasn't used by Etch while he was a member of the Orioles, here is a cracked bat of his from his time with the Angels (I had it signed when he was managing the Aberdeen Ironbirds):

Old 03-22-2020, 08:54 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1963 Aberdeen Pheasants

Quote:

Here is a team photo of the 1963 Aberdeen (SD) Pheasants, which was a Class D team in the Northern League who finished 65-55.

The club was once again managed by Cal Ripken Sr. and other notables include both Eddie Watt & Andy Etchebarren (who had made his MLB debut the previous September):

Bill,

You've been holding back on some nice minor league stuff. I absolutely love that Pheasants team photo. First refusal if you ever get rid of it

The companion scorecard.

1963 Aberdeen Pheasants.jpg
Old 03-22-2020, 02:33 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Over the last week, the thread has highlighted the 1960 and 1962 Fox Cities teams. I thought I would fill in the gap today, with the 1961 Foxes.

1961 marked the last year that the Foxes played in the Class B Three-I League. The following year they would drop to Class D. They finished 67-62 and were again managed by Earl Weaver.

Several future Orioles would play for the Foxes, including Dave McNally, in his first year of pro ball.
The Foxes have some great looking programs and team photos. Are photos, with the minor league uniforms, hard to come by?

I’m a big fan of McNally.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:35 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark:

I took a peek at past calendars & noted that in 1993 January 22nd was on a Friday....Since Brooks is shown with Camden Yards in the background, it has to be post '92....Of course it could be '97, but I'd bet on 1993.

The club was once again managed by Cal Ripken Sr. and other notables include both Eddie Watt & Andy Etchebarren (who had made his MLB debut the previous September):]
1993 sounds about right.

Man, that is a GREAT looking team photo!
Old 03-22-2020, 03:54 PM
Alan Strout

Default 1961 Rochester Red Wings

Quote:
Are photos, with the minor league uniforms, hard to come by?
Mark,

I have some original individual photos of players in their minor league uniforms. I've found them harder to find than minor league team photos. Here an example from the 1961 Rochester Red Wings. I'll post more as the year progresses and the Red Wings are discussed.

John Anderson

Anderson, John (1961 Rochester Red Wings).jpg

Last edited by BaltOrioles; 03-22-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:07 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 83 (March 23, 2020 – 083)

Isn’t it ironic that Brooks Robinson was inducted to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1983 and the Baltimore Orioles also won the World Series in 1983? It was a good year for the Birds and now all I can do now is reminisce about the good ole’ days.

1983 Orioles Yearbook

Day 83 a Publication 1983 Orioles Yearbook 1.jpg

After the 1983 World Series win the Orioles put up some ORIOLE BLVD. street signs for the celebration and parade and this is one of them. I know the Orioles have put up different street signs over the years for Earl, Brooks and Frank; possibly others as well.

1983 Oriole Blvd. street sign

Day 83 b Oriole street sign.jpg
Day 83 c Orioles Blvd sign.jpg

1983 World Series mug

Day 83 e 1.jpg
Day 83 f 2.jpg

1984 Street and Smith's Baseball Yearbook

Day 83 d Publication 1984 Baseball 1.jpg

Last edited by Mark70Z; 03-23-2020 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:28 AM
Mike Magee

Default 1958 All Star Game Bowl

Good morning, several pieces from the 1958 All Star Game have been posted, so I thought I'd share a bowl presented to the players who were selected for the Game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1958 All Star Game Presentation Bowl.jpg (74.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 03-23-2020, 05:37 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mark:

If memory serves me right there was an ad on the back cover of that '83 Yearbook that one could drop their yearbook off at a local car dealership (All Star Dodge?) & Brooks would sign it and it would returned to you...Wonder how many people took advantage of that?

Here is a neat photograph signed both by Brooks & Bowie Kuhn from his Induction ceremony (which I regret not being there).

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-23-2020 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:39 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good morning, several pieces from the 1958 All Star Game have been posted, so I thought I'd share a bowl presented to the players who were selected for the Game.
Mike:

Was that the bowl that was issued to Gil MacDougald?

Bill
Old 03-23-2020, 05:49 AM
Mike Magee

Quote:
Mike:

Was that the bowl that was issued to Gil MacDougald?

Bill
Hi Bill, no, although I saw that one on Ebay. I showed the McDougald bowl to my wife and she said if I bought that one, she wasn't going to be the one who cleaned the tarnish off of it.

The above bowl was passed down to me from my grandparents who bought it at an auction who knows how many years ago. Unfortunately, I don't know who the bowl was supposedly presented to.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:52 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Hi Bill, no, although I saw that one on Ebay. I showed the McDougald bowl to my wife and she said if I bought that one, she wasn't going to be the one who cleaned the tarnish off of it.

The above bowl was passed down to me from my grandparents who bought it at an auction who knows how many years ago. Unfortunately, I don't know who the bowl was supposedly presented to.
Thanks, my buddy was the seller of that McDougald bowl & he told me last week that it recently sold....I agree that it's too bad that the recipient's name weren't engraved on them.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Mark,

I have some original individual photos of players in their minor league uniforms. I've found them harder to find than minor league team photos. Here an example from the 1961 Rochester Red Wings. I'll post more as the year progresses and the Red Wings are discussed.

John Anderson

Attachment 390330
Awesome photo! As an Orioles fan who grew up and now lives in Rochester - much appreciated!
Old 03-23-2020, 02:29 PM
Alan Strout

Default 1983 HOF Induction

Quote:

Here is a neat photograph signed both by Brooks & Bowie Kuhn from his Induction ceremony (which I regret not being there).

Bill,

My wife and I attended the 1983 Hall of Fame induction ceremony for Brooks. It was in front of the library then and attendance was smaller than current inductions. My most vivid memory was the group of buses from Baltimore and the sea of orange that arrived, just before the start of the ceremony . They attended the induction ceremony and then all loaded back onto the bus to head back to Baltimore. There was at least a dozen buses, maybe more. I'm getting old ...

A few items from the weekend. I also picked up a HOF Brown Bat (349/500). The numbers were distributed randomly, so the fifth person in line wouldn't have received #5. The bat is at home and I don't have a photo to share. Maybe someone has one they can post.

1983 Hall of Fame Induction.jpg

1983 Hall of Fame Game 1.jpg 1983 Hall of Fame Game.jpg

Plus a 2013 Bobblehead celebrating his MVP and World Series championships

2013 Brooks Robinson (ForeverLegends of the Diamond HOF).jpg
Old 03-23-2020, 02:42 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
I also picked up a HOF Brown Bat (349/500). The numbers were distributed randomly, so the fifth person in line wouldn't have received #5. The bat is at home and I don't have a photo to share. Maybe someone has one they can post.
Found this online, but someone with a better scan feel free to post it.

1983 HOF Brown Bat

47037_brooks_robinson.jpg
Old 03-23-2020, 03:19 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mike,

That is a very cool piece. Would have been neat to have the players name, but still extremely nice...
Old 03-23-2020, 03:26 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Bill,

My wife and I attended the 1983 Hall of Fame induction ceremony for Brooks. It was in front of the library then and attendance was smaller than current inductions. My most vivid memory was the group of buses from Baltimore and the sea of orange that arrived, just before the start of the ceremony . They attended the induction ceremony and then all loaded back onto the bus to head back to Baltimore. There was at least a dozen buses, maybe more. I'm getting old ...

A few items from the weekend. I also picked up a HOF Brown Bat (349/500). The numbers were distributed randomly, so the fifth person in line wouldn't have received #5. The bat is at home and I don't have a photo to share. Maybe someone has one they can post.

Plus a 2013 Bobblehead celebrating his MVP and World Series championships
Alan,

Wish I could have attended; was in school that the time and couldn’t make it even though I tried.

Also, do you really need two tickets?!? I have a stub and it’s all sticky for some reason.

Nice bobblehead; I’ll have to pick that example up at some point. Looks nice.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:54 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark:

If memory serves me right there was an ad on the back cover of that '83 Yearbook that one could drop their yearbook off at a local car dealership (All Star Dodge?) & Brooks would sign it and it would returned to you...Wonder how many people took advantage of that?

Love the photo and the autographs!!
Old 03-23-2020, 04:00 PM
M@rk Comer

Posted for Scott (quitcrab)

Item related to the 1983 World Series. The piece is around 11x14 and on thick board.

Scott R.jpg
Scott R 1.jpg
Old 03-23-2020, 04:23 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Found this online, but someone with a better scan feel free to post it.

1983 HOF Brown Bat
I was going to post the 1983 HOF bat close to the induction, but here's a quick picture of the bat.

HOF Brown Bat.jpg

Last edited by Mark70Z; 03-23-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:25 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Alan,

Also, do you really need two tickets?!? I have a stub and it’s all sticky for some reason.
Mark,

Ha Ha... Probably not. I'm sure my wife won't mind giving up her seat for a friend. I'll see what I can do when I get home.