NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Barry Arnold

Default vintage baseball CARD books

I am wondering if there are some books out there that I am missing in the
vintage baseball CARD arena. I am a type collector from 1900-1939 and am looking for works which would help elucidate this time period particularly.
I have Burdick's ACC, Lipset's 3 volumes, Heitman's The Monster, Mark Peavy's
T206, Canfield's tome on Tobacco Era Card Packs, Ron Erbe's American Premium Guide to Baseball Cards, Egan's Tobacco Cards, Zappala's The
206 Collection, Slocum's Classic Baseball Cards, Oser's Cardboard Gems,
Hornes' Zeenuts, Erik V.'s Philadelphia Caramels, Reader's e-books.

Any others that I'm missing which are illuminative of CARDS from the 1900-1939 era.
I know there are price guides and internet helps but I am really focusing here
on books such as the ones listed above.
Many thanks for any help.
all the best,
barry
Old 07-14-2012, 10:15 PM

I heard that Tom and Ellen were making another book in the series about the Cracker Jack Cards series. Not sure when its release date is though.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:49 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
I heard that Tom and Ellen were making another book in the series about the Cracker Jack Cards series. Not sure when its release date is though.
You need to join facebook or use your wife's account like I do but:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cracke...81887618499531

We still have 14 months or so...I cannot wait!

Hey Barry, you already have all the books I do. Could you recommend one for that era? I have the lipset and slocum books and would like a book that touches on cards left out by these books like 1929 kashins and maybe goes into further depth of the sets mentioned in the previous books.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:54 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Barry, I don't have mark peavy's book do you recommend it?

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 07-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Barry Arnold

Default CARD books

thanks for the responses fellows.
Patrick,
Mark Peavy is on our board and a prince of a fellow. I like the brevity of his monograph and because it was written over a decade ago it fits helpfully in the timeline of T206 research. I do recommend it and would think Mark would have one available if you contact him.
Wazoo and Steven, thanks for the tip regarding the CJ book. I'm eager to purchase that one as soon as it comes out in a year or so.
Steven, your question is also my question. I have been searching for a book which might deal with some of what Lipset anticipated working on in later editions but never had a chance to. I have found myself looking hungrily for Lipset's few references to D and W cards as he talks about tobacco and candy cards and have found a few but sure long for more of his anticipated volumes.
I will say that I did revisit Erbe's work and was pleasantly surprised to see some
interesting sections on D,F,W cards particularly. If there is more extensive work out there in book form, I'd sure like to see it.
Thankfully, Old Cardboard offers excellent research on many topics which I see as chapters of books to come---in my spirit of hopefulness.
all the best,

barry