NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 08-19-2020, 05:19 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

PSA 2 Alcindor $989 BIN...for a two...maybe we are in FOMO sucker time?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
I think Gary V is a multi-millionaire who also fell back into the hobby, he doesn't need to pump and dump this stuff--he might actually just be having fun.
Do you want to know what is more addicting than alcohol, tobacco and heroin? Money! All the rich folks out there are always trying to find ways to grow their net worth. No matter how much they have, they are never satisfied!

Gary is a businessman! He made millions by making the right decisions in life. Do you think he will still have that Wilt and Russell (see post #48 for picture) after they drop three-hundred percent? I doubt it.

Last edited by samosa4u; 08-19-2020 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-19-2020, 10:32 AM

Agreed.

He assumed day-to-day control of his father's Springfield, New Jersey store, Shopper's Discount Liquors. Gary renamed the store to Wine Library, launched sales online. Through e-commerce and pricing strategies, Vaynerchuk grew the business from $3 million a year to $60 million a year by 2003. The key was that he created the online version. I guess the same idea that Netflix did from the retail store to mail.

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 08-19-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
All the big rookies seem to be on fire. I’ve watched the Dr. J in PSA 8 jump from $800 to $4600 in a couple of years. It is getting to the point where I am tempted to take some money off the table.
Adam, I am glad you brought this up. I bid on an Erving PSA 8 less than a month ago - lost at $1600...now $8000+.

So I did some research of 60s and 70s HOFs. There are primarily two buyers over the past month driving this insane increase. One has bid 704 times in one month - the other 632 times. If you look at PSA 8s, 9s, 10s...these are the buyers.

Eventually this bubble has to stop. The problem is that it makes its own market. People will start to believe that these cards are actually worth this kind of money. They shouldn't be. There is a big difference in rarity between a PSA 8 and a PSA 9 for older cards (usually).

It may continue, but it shouldn't. There is no logical explanation. There are a handful of people affecting this market.

Last edited by Vintage Basketball Pat; 08-19-2020 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2020, 03:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That's really interesting, Pat. I bailed out at $5500.

One thing is for sure, this is lifting other issues including ones you would not normally think of.

Query for the gang: is the extreme wait period at PSA and Beckett affecting prices too? Used to be easy to find a nice raw card, send it in, and get a graded card in a relatively short time. Not now.

Or not...
Old 08-19-2020, 06:01 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Even the 1981-82 Topps Bird and Magic cards are doing well.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:59 PM

I agree...many issues are up. I think this might be a good time to get rid of common cards.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Basketball Pat View Post
I agree...many issues are up. I think this might be a good time to get rid of common cards.
Absolutely. I am listing what I have in TPG holders for sale.

Or not...
Old 08-20-2020, 04:16 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

If you don't hate Gary Vee yet, watch the video of him on Vintage Breaks opening up three 1915 era tobacco packs looking for T206 cards which couldn't have even been in them based on the tax stamps.... just straight up threw thousands of dollars in the trash.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:10 PM

This is an example. This is the main bidder. You take a card worth $350-$550 and people try to chase the auction. He has bid on almost every Russell, Chamberlain, plus other HOFs. Others get sucked into the auction. It hurts the hobby imo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200820-175359_eBay.jpg (66.0 KB, 584 views)
Old 08-20-2020, 05:21 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1404828
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:51 AM

LMAO...i came here to start a thread about this.....

low and behold...

https://huntauctions.com/phone/image...=178&lot_num=1

this is nutty
Old 08-22-2020, 04:53 PM
David Peck

Big Gary V fan. He has done wonders for the hobby.

The guy is worth like 200 million dollars. He won't be able to advance his net worth much buying trading cards.

He just sold his wine company I saw on CNBC to Constellation Brands after a year. He is a serial entrepreneur.

Why can't a guy with so much money at his disposal have fun buying cards? People forget these uber wealthy people are just human too.

Basketball cards are cheap compared to baseball. With the sneaker heads moving in to cards it was only a matter of time until they blew up in price.

When you see images of people wiping out big box retailers like Wal Mart and Target the second product hits shelves it doesn't take a genius to figure out the older good stuff is going to go up in value.

We are seeing an avalanche of new money come into cards. Long time collectors must realize that for a time this is different. This trend isn't going to die overnight. It is accelerating and at some point perhaps it runs its course but it isn't next week.

I just sold a card to someone who the mailing address was the PWCC vault. Investors are flocking to cards and they don't care that they missed the first wave and are in the buy higher category because the momentum is undeniable.

Picking a top in the card market is going to be impossible because there are no derivatives to slow it down or artificial supply like short selling and so as long as people are wanting the stuff there is no where to go but up in price. You can't have thousands upon thousands of new collectors dying to put money to work and have prices go down on the marquee athletes cards.

I think the hardest part is being a buyer near the bottom because your cost basis is low and so once a card starts moving you feel like wow this is awesome maybe I should sell but in reality you are in the midst of a super cycle and you were just early and need to ride the wave.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:11 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
Big Gary V fan. He has done wonders for the hobby.

The guy is worth like 200 million dollars. He won't be able to advance his net worth much buying trading cards.

He just sold his wine company I saw on CNBC to Constellation Brands after a year. He is a serial entrepreneur.

Why can't a guy with so much money at his disposal have fun buying cards? People forget these uber wealthy people are just human too.

Basketball cards are cheap compared to baseball. With the sneaker heads moving in to cards it was only a matter of time until they blew up in price.

When you see images of people wiping out big box retailers like Wal Mart and Target the second product hits shelves it doesn't take a genius to figure out the older good stuff is going to go up in value.

We are seeing an avalanche of new money come into cards. Long time collectors must realize that for a time this is different. This trend isn't going to die overnight. It is accelerating and at some point perhaps it runs its course but it isn't next week.

I just sold a card to someone who the mailing address was the PWCC vault. Investors are flocking to cards and they don't care that they missed the first wave and are in the buy higher category because the momentum is undeniable.

Picking a top in the card market is going to be impossible because there are no derivatives to slow it down or artificial supply like short selling and so as long as people are wanting the stuff there is no where to go but up in price. You can't have thousands upon thousands of new collectors dying to put money to work and have prices go down on the marquee athletes cards.

I think the hardest part is being a buyer near the bottom because your cost basis is low and so once a card starts moving you feel like wow this is awesome maybe I should sell but in reality you are in the midst of a super cycle and you were just early and need to ride the wave.
Bro ... bro ... people were saying the same thing about Vegas Dave, remember?

Ohhh, that guy has so much cash! Look at his stuff! Look at his properties, look at his cars, look at his hot girl, etc. He is just having fun with his cards and he doesn't really care ... blah, blah, blah ...

And then one of his ex-friends posted on social media that Dave wanted to make fake comps, so that he could sell his Trouts for big bucks! Money makes people do crazy things.

And regarding the sneaker heads, well, do these guys like to bid twenty-plus times on a single listing? A lot of people are complaining about that, bro. It's not only on this forum or the Blowout Forum, but all over the Internet people are pointing this out. And I don't know about "new money," but it does look like a lot of these cards are attracting "new shillers!"

Anyways, you should really consider parting with one of your PSA 9 All-star Hogans now. And with the money, you should go after a Goudey Ruth or a T206 Cobb or a Leaf Jackie or a Topps Mantle. One thing I learned about 2016 is that it is always good to diversify. And what's happening now only reminded me to take another good look at my collection and to make sure that I'm not putting too much money into one sport.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:36 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Bro ... bro ... people were saying the same thing about Vegas Dave, remember?

Ohhh, that guy has so much cash! Look at his stuff! Look at his properties, look at his cars, look at his hot girl, etc. He is just having fun with his cards and he doesn't really care ... blah, blah, blah ...

And then one of his ex-friends posted on social media that Dave wanted to make fake comps, so that he could sell his Trouts for big bucks! Money makes people do crazy things.

And regarding the sneaker heads, well, do these guys like to bid twenty-plus times on a single listing? A lot of people are complaining about that, bro. It's not only on this forum or the Blowout Forum, but all over the Internet people are pointing this out. And I don't know about "new money," but it does look like a lot of these cards are attracting "new shillers!"

Anyways, you should really consider parting with one of your PSA 9 All-star Hogans now. And with the money, you should go after a Goudey Ruth or a T206 Cobb or a Leaf Jackie or a Topps Mantle. One thing I learned about 2016 is that it is always good to diversify. And what's happening now only reminded me to take another good look at my collection and to make sure that I'm not putting too much money into one sport.

I didn't read threads about Vegas Dave. I will say he was very smart so anyone hating on him can say all they want but he is laughing all the way to the bank. I personally don't see the comparison as he is betting guy vs. someone who gets paid $150,000 an hour to speak and runs legit business's and is on CNBC frequently. Last year I sold him an 82 Hogan at a very fair price with the sole intent that he would put it on Twitter and if so it would be good for the rest of my cards. At a work happy hour some co workers mentioned they looked into having him as a guest speaker for clients but his cost was $150,000+ and opted not to. I said you guys will love this I sold him a wrestling card. They were like you can't be serious. I said here check it out. His overall profile in the business world is radically different than Vegas Dave.

I have sold a handful of cards to Gary since and one was $53. He is buying what he likes where in the case of Vegas Dave he went after marquee stuff only. I have recently sold another wrestling card to someone I looked up online and is very close to Gary and clearly a major mover and shaker and it was only $150. There are buyers coming in who simply want to participate.

I can't speak to the sneaker heads bidding styles. I do some funky bidding sometimes to try and throw people off. Maybe it works and maybe it doesn't. I tried this recently and got sniped at the end. The only thing I care about with bidding is you don't retract bids and you pay when you win. Everything else is just noise.

I am on Twitter and active and I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that the number of collectors in the card hobby has exploded. All one must do is read tweets from the top social media "stars" like Gary V and Phil Hughes and you will see what is taking place. Bid lists for so many cards are getting longer and if you go to Watchcount.com you will see the number of watchers is up dramatically too. This is so easy to see if you venture outside of traditional card message boards.

In terms of a Hogan 9. I have no interest in selling any. I have sold two copies in the past twelve months but acquired many more and I am up to 30 in total. I believe in picking big winners and buying a lot of them and seeing how it plays out. If they collapse one day I won't be excited but life won't change and I am not willing to give up on what I believe is happening. I have stayed bullish on cards for ten years and bought lots along the way and I think we are in a massive uptrend and I am going to play my hand that way. I self grade lots of my cards so this is one of the rare places in life where you can be an insider and have a real shot to win. Long gone are the days of bringing your best cards to a shop and getting offers of 20 to 50% of active retail. The internet has given the collector power and so we all have a shot to win.

You can look at almost any genre and see massive momentum and I don't think it is going to stop anytime soon. Cards are like drugs and once people get hooked it is hard to stop.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:47 AM
D@le Irv*n

Well, decided to jump back in with my 2nd ever basketball purchase last night.
I was just browsing/watching/looking at current auctions and following some closings when Kawhi Leonard came to mind, who undeniably, played a huge part, if not the pivotal part, in the Raptors championship last year. Their first.

I noticed this card, a rookie, and decided to go for it. Needless to say I didn't realize he had so many RC's, but I assume that is the norm when it comes to modern?

I'm not trying to double or triple my money in a few months or anything like that. I just wanted a card that would take me back/remind me of the time when the Toronto Raptors won their first NBA Championship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kawhi Leonard BB card.jpg (76.8 KB, 521 views)

Last edited by irv; 08-24-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I decided to sell my 1985 Jewel Prism Magic Johnson card. I am shocked at the price. Beckett 8 is sitting at $511 with a day to go...

Or not...
Old 08-26-2020, 07:20 PM
David Peck

I know this seller and he sold this copy for right at 24k and another with an All Star for 28k.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-topps-...4AAOSwaM9fRTWR

Here sits a PSA 9 Bird and Magic rookie 9 at over 22k

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-...MAAOSwYRJfQEt2

People can pretend this isn't happening but it is. Demand for cards from all genres is exploding. Time will tell how this plays out but the force is up at the moment in a major way.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 08-26-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

As seldom as we agree on anything, D we agree on that! I am emptying out my boxes of stuff I really don't much like and selling it off. Last several years I bought a lot of basketball from my childhood, in part because it was so cheap. At lowest ebb I was picking up PSA 8 1970s HOFers at less than the cost of grading. That's been over for a while. The prices I am checking, though, wow, and not just on big rookies. The average big star in 6 or better from Topps is up anywhere from 200%-500%. Take the 72 Maravich in a PSA 7. Third year of Pistol Pete, good shape for a 72 but not spectacular. Used to be about a $25-$30 card. Now $150.

Oh, and my Magic card is up to $811, closing tomorrow. That used to be the MJ price. Sure wish I'd picked one up...

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-26-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:09 AM
David Peck

Quote:
As seldom as we agree on anything, D we agree on that! I am emptying out my boxes of stuff I really don't much like and selling it off. Last several years I bought a lot of basketball from my childhood, in part because it was so cheap. At lowest ebb I was picking up PSA 8 1970s HOFers at less than the cost of grading. That's been over for a while. The prices I am checking, though, wow, and not just on big rookies. The average big star in 6 or better from Topps is up anywhere from 200%-500%. Take the 72 Maravich in a PSA 7. Third year of Pistol Pete, good shape for a 72 but not spectacular. Used to be about a $25-$30 card. Now $150.

Oh, and my Magic card is up to $811, closing tomorrow. That used to be the MJ price. Sure wish I'd picked one up...

If everyone had the same opinions at all times the world would be a boring place. Haha

It is really a fascinating situation because for years I have read posts by some who post basketball cards and make reference to the fact that the spread between them and baseball was incredibly wide and they had room to move up significantly. If you asked them to be honest did they think the market would price in such a huge change in six months I would imagine the answer would be no but the reality is there has been so much new money come into cards and people are dying to get it put to work. As I have said many times on various boards because you can't short cards or build derivative trades around them to slow the momentum it is a one way trade.

The guy I referenced above got the Dr. J sold in ten minutes. Pretty wild.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:09 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Let's stop and think here for a second.

New money ... cards from all genres have taken off ...

Is this true?

First, let me ask you this: if we were to select fifty different collectors from this forum and you were to ask them to name you their top three sports cards, then you'd probably get fifty different lists, right?

So, if new money is coming in from different people, then shouldn't all cards or most cards be going up? Think about it ... a Leaf Jackie has quadrupled in value, whereas the Bowman Mays hasn't gone up a dime. Are there more Jackie fans than Mays? I don't think so. Mays was the greatest. By the way, I own both cards, and so I'm not trying to pump one and shit on the other.

The Clemente hasn't gone up and nor has the Koufax or the Aaron. Vintage baseball is meh.

The OPC Gretzky is on fire, but the rest of hockey is not.

Boxing is flat too (except for maybe a few Ali cards).
Old 08-29-2020, 07:52 AM
David Peck

There are loads of cards going up in value. Perhaps some are going up more which I think is natural but all one must do is look online and it is pretty easy to see.

I focus on wrestling, a few boxers, and cards of wrestlers from other sports and this list has been scorching hot. In wrestling Hogan, Andre, Flair, The Rock, Steve Austin, Undertaker, and some others have gone up the most. I think you are seeing a lot of collectors focus on the biggest stars. A few nights ago a 1982 Wrestling All Stars Dick The Bruiser PSA 8 went for $62. Is that up from a year ago? Yes. This was a $40 card so up over 50%. I think that is great. In the same auction a PSA 7 82 Hogan went for $2,025. This is up over 600%. Obviously a huge divergence but still both are up.

A BGS 8 1986 Panini Tyson went for $7,300. This is up over 1,700% in the past year. In the same auction a PSA 9 1991 Ringlords went for $270 and that is up 800% and so you are also seeing lots of variance within the same athlete by card. Even PSA 6's of Tyson are in high demand. A board member here just sold a UK back for over 2k and he had offers even higher after the auction closed so you are seeing high demand for star cards even in more modest grades.

The 1994 Miami Hurricanes Dwayne Johnson has exploded. A PSA 10 went for over 6k the other night and this was a $725 card. There are plenty of Rock cards from older wrestling sets that have probably barely moved in valued because of lack of demand. Collectors are focusing on athletes best cards or their rookie card.

Taking this back to basketball.Check out the price on this Hakeem PSA 10. $8,600 with three days to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Fleer-...QAAOSwAnJfRcBk

There is a PSA 8 at over $300.

I honestly don't see how anyone could be watching card listings and not see prices going up.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 08-29-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:36 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Yes, I know the AS Hogans and Panini Tysons are on fire (you don't have to keep pointing that out, David! lol).

I have been watching eBay sales, and I think that certain cards are being targeted here. I could write you a list of about twenty or thirty cards that have exploded, and at the same time, I could name you about a hundred popular cards that have not gone up a dime. Why is that? Isn't new money pouring in from all over America? It makes no sense to me that a 1957 Topps Bill Russell can go from $3,000 to 30,000 USD in just a few weeks, and yet, the 1955 Topps Sandy Koufax stays flat. It just doesn't.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Looks like Cousy is next up...

Or not...
Old 09-10-2020, 04:23 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Looks like Cousy is next up...
Insane prices for Cousy currently.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I haven't paid attention to hockey cards lately. What's hot there? Anything?

Or not...
Old 09-11-2020, 10:21 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Vintage hockey has gone up a little bit, but nothing worthy of discussion.

Now, let's get back to basketball cards because there is something I want to point out to all of you on here:

1972 Topps J. Erving PSA 8 eBay sales in US dollars:

Aug 23 - $9,600
Aug 24 - $7,600
Aug 31 - $7,001
Aug 31 - $7,400
Aug 31 - $8,100
Sept 7 - $3,850
Sept 7 - $3,700
Sept 7 - $3,550.71
Sept 7 - $5,100
Sept 10 - $3,935

Whoa!!! What the hell suddenly happened? How the hell does a card lose thousands of dollars in just a couple of weeks? What happened to all the NEW MONEY now, huh?
Old 09-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Vintage hockey has gone up a little bit, but nothing worthy of discussion.

Now, let's get back to basketball cards because there is something I want to point out to all of you on here:

1972 Topps J. Erving PSA 8 eBay sales in US dollars:

Aug 23 - $9,600
Aug 24 - $7,600
Aug 31 - $7,001
Aug 31 - $7,400
Aug 31 - $8,100
Sept 7 - $3,850
Sept 7 - $3,700
Sept 7 - $3,550.71
Sept 7 - $5,100
Sept 10 - $3,935

Whoa!!! What the hell suddenly happened? How the hell does a card lose thousands of dollars in just a couple of weeks? What happened to all the NEW MONEY now, huh?
Your table is selective. This PSA data run is a more complete one (qualified card sales removed):

9/11/2020 $3,935.00 8 373188936799 eBay probstein123 1 43398000
9/8/2020 $5,100.00 8 383696317759 eBay probstein123 1 26597579
9/8/2020 $3,550.51 8 373176595500 eBay probstein123 1 28698213
9/8/2020 $3,700.00 8 363089218562 eBay probstein123 1 11244668
9/8/2020 $3,850.00 8 174417779408 eBay cardkast 1 02525478
9/7/2020 $4,938.00 8 274474367911 eBay pkrface Auction 06341751
9/5/2020 $6,500.00 8 224116457849 eBay kjam6885 3 27081984
9/1/2020 $8,100.00 8 402373764131 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 24736345
9/1/2020 $7,400.00 8 402373763798 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 26880780
9/1/2020 $7,001.00 8 402373763793 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 40890222
8/27/2020 $7,500.00 8 264844802944 eBay heyticketguy 3 06040208
8/25/2020 $1,540.00 8 (OC) 373152398426 eBay probstein123 Auction 19202030
8/25/2020 $7,600.00 8 383681510477 eBay probstein123 Auction 30884321
8/24/2020 $9,000.00 8 224128905953 eBay dand52261 Best Offer 25052507
8/24/2020 $7,000.00 8 402367199324 eBay allstar-cards Auction 23767118
8/24/2020 $10,766.00 8 143682543527 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 17134304
8/24/2020 $9,600.00 8 402361549305 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 14761030
8/24/2020 $9,600.00 8 143682543448 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 15717326
8/21/2020 $7,800.00 8 373148122396 eBay probstein123 Auction 40007138
8/16/2020 $9,500.00 8 224119415187 eBay dand52261 Best Offer 25052507
8/15/2020 $9,500.00 8 233680871242 eBay thecrimsonchild Best Offer 30376241
8/12/2020 $8,750.00 8 254684751727 eBay cbjoe Best Offer 25800102
8/11/2020 $8,080.00 8 Is PSADNA 363066455830 eBay probstein123 Auction 22787604
8/11/2020 $810.11 8 (OC) 154032821749 eBay flabledec Auction 47117710
8/8/2020 $6,499.99 8 133487902934 eBay lilybethtaylor37 Best Offer 09037750
8/7/2020 $5,200.00 8 303638834203 eBay eevans1552 Auction 02008685
8/6/2020 $5,995.00 8 363063453158 eBay icaancards Buy It Now 44210520
8/4/2020 $4,599.00 8 363059514181 eBay probstein123 Auction 50069088
8/2/2020 $5,555.00 8 203064842853 eBay exhibitman Buy It Now 28920782
7/30/2020 $4,799.99 8 264813410421 eBay the-eleven-club Buy It Now 26311199
7/30/2020 $5,677.88 8 353144777757 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 18737805
7/28/2020 $4,500.00 8 303631051655 eBay dr.sportzcardzenmore-scs Auction 05016321
7/27/2020 $4,500.00 8 333667008189 eBay djoppan-66 Buy It Now 25568929
7/27/2020 $4,500.00 8 283959942576 eBay rochester9002 Buy It Now 14993384
7/27/2020 $4,300.00 8 363058844697 eBay tbh39 Best Offer 44704777
7/24/2020 $4,600.00 8 373117534771 eBay probstein123 Auction 30899904
7/23/2020 $3,383.99 8 143654274282 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 22034630
7/23/2020 $3,410.00 8 353135923739 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 23556592
7/22/2020 $2,995.00 8 363053869399 eBay icaancards Buy It Now 40732438
/7/2020 $2,459.99 8 254609225712 eBay graded_psa_cards Best Offer 02012346
7/6/2020 $1,425.00 8 254636781845 eBay nolacali2 Auction 02085183
6/27/2020 $1,850.00 8 133449445410 eBay jackmay Buy It Now 46894492
/22/2020 $1,925.00 8 274390399232 eBay ez01 Best Offer 60117972
6/13/2020 $1,650.00 8 333614881923 eBay selut-14 Best Offer 26566064
6/12/2020 $1,459.09 8 124215022217 eBay kencope Auction 30376241
6/7/2020 $1,850.00 8 233604685400 eBay thiel12 Buy It Now 27081984
6/3/2020 $1,818.00 8 383563060432 eBay probstein123 Auction 06318666
6/1/2020 $1,913.00 8 402270041474 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 25325982
5/31/2020 $1,850.00 8 264735280718 eBay sportssource2 Best Offer 02147479
/26/2020 $1,620.00 8 44178 Heritage Auctions Auction 02005029
5/22/2020 $1,483.00 8 264731235157 eBay honestjackcards Auction 01084409
5/21/2020 $1,791.00 8 402257335001 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 15606771
5/5/2020 $1,680.00 8 373034658494 eBay probstein123 Auction 43261729
5/1/2020 $1,341.00 8 143585894677 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 01084409
4/22/2020 $1,109.00 8 143578316417 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 27337477
4/20/2020 $1,020.00 8 2261 Robert Edward Auctions 2020 Spring Auction 06088847
4/20/2020 $1,110.00 8 2262 Robert Edward Auctions 2020 Spring Auction 27958112
3/27/2020 $1,099.00 8 254550547893 eBay wildavi-28 Buy It Now 27320761
3/25/2020 $915.76 8 114155220433 eBay goldustnrouge Auction 45816396
3/22/2020 $1,125.00 8 402157198613 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 03693313
3/22/2020 $1,236.00 8 143553760087 eBay pwcc_auctions Auction 31636188
3/9/2020 $982.00 8 362932131281 eBay probstein123 Auction 28212796

Now, removing the PWCC and Probstein results because, you know, they strike some as about as genuine as a stripper's boobs:

9/8/2020 $3,850.00 8 174417779408 eBay cardkast 1 02525478
9/7/2020 $4,938.00 8 274474367911 eBay pkrface Auction 06341751
9/5/2020 $6,500.00 8 224116457849 eBay kjam6885 3 27081984
8/27/2020 $7,500.00 8 264844802944 eBay heyticketguy 3 06040208
8/24/2020 $9,000.00 8 224128905953 eBay dand52261 Best Offer 25052507
8/24/2020 $7,000.00 8 402367199324 eBay allstar-cards Auction 23767118
8/16/2020 $9,500.00 8 224119415187 eBay dand52261 Best Offer 25052507
8/15/2020 $9,500.00 8 233680871242 eBay thecrimsonchild Best Offer 30376241
8/12/2020 $8,750.00 8 254684751727 eBay cbjoe Best Offer 25800102
8/11/2020 $8,080.00 8 Is PSADNA 363066455830 eBay probstein123 Auction 22787604
8/8/2020 $6,499.99 8 133487902934 eBay lilybethtaylor37 Best Offer 09037750
8/7/2020 $5,200.00 8 303638834203 eBay eevans1552 Auction 02008685
8/6/2020 $5,995.00 8 363063453158 eBay icaancards Buy It Now 44210520
8/2/2020 $5,555.00 8 203064842853 eBay exhibitman Buy It Now 28920782
7/30/2020 $4,799.99 8 264813410421 eBay the-eleven-club Buy It Now 26311199
7/28/2020 $4,500.00 8 303631051655 eBay dr.sportzcardzenmore-scs Auction 05016321
7/27/2020 $4,500.00 8 333667008189 eBay djoppan-66 Buy It Now 25568929
7/27/2020 $4,500.00 8 283959942576 eBay rochester9002 Buy It Now 14993384
7/27/2020 $4,300.00 8 363058844697 eBay tbh39 Best Offer 44704777
7/22/2020 $2,995.00 8 363053869399 eBay icaancards Buy It Now 40732438
/7/2020 $2,459.99 8 254609225712 eBay graded_psa_cards Best Offer 02012346
7/6/2020 $1,425.00 8 254636781845 eBay nolacali2 Auction 02085183
6/27/2020 $1,850.00 8 133449445410 eBay jackmay Buy It Now 46894492
/22/2020 $1,925.00 8 274390399232 eBay ez01 Best Offer 60117972
6/13/2020 $1,650.00 8 333614881923 eBay selut-14 Best Offer 26566064
6/12/2020 $1,459.09 8 124215022217 eBay kencope Auction 30376241
6/7/2020 $1,850.00 8 233604685400 eBay thiel12 Buy It Now 27081984
5/31/2020 $1,850.00 8 264735280718 eBay sportssource2 Best Offer 02147479
/26/2020 $1,620.00 8 44178 Heritage Auctions Auction 02005029
5/22/2020 $1,483.00 8 264731235157 eBay honestjackcards Auction 01084409
4/20/2020 $1,020.00 8 2261 Robert Edward Auctions 2020 Spring Auction 06088847
4/20/2020 $1,110.00 8 2262 Robert Edward Auctions 2020 Spring Auction 27958112
3/27/2020 $1,099.00 8 254550547893 eBay wildavi-28 Buy It Now 27320761
3/25/2020 $915.76 8 114155220433 eBay goldustnrouge Auction 45816396

This presents a more complete picture of the price movements since the start of the pandemic run-up.

I generally agree that there was a bubble of prices that hit its height last month and may have started downward this month (need to see a few more sales to confirm a trend, I think). My guess as to why is the various stimulus packages running out. When the government was throwing free money at us, people spent it on cards and the fact that they were skyrocketing made it seem like a smart bet. That looks to have ended starting 7/31 with the end of extended unemployment benefits and (more important, I think) the start of the end of the spending of the 2nd wave of money from the SBA loans under the PPP program (for those who don't follow it, these were loans that you could have forgiven if you shoveled the money out the door on payroll and overhead expenses--and the initial law required you to spend it in eight weeks--so many small business owners were able to use the loans to pay themselves as employees of their entities, effectively getting a free pool of money).

What will be interesting is to see if the pattern holds for other cards that have had strong run-ups over the last six months. Even more interesting will be to see if the prices drop all at once.

FWIW, I thought the Dr. J. RC was grossly undervalued at the levels of a year ago. My thinking was that $1500-$2000 is about right for a PSA 8 caliber example.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-11-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:52 PM
Noel

Default Dr J

I could just picture some poor individual saying to himself before making a bid "If i could just get this PSA 8 under $11k....
Old 09-12-2020, 12:43 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by esehombre View Post
I could just picture some poor individual saying to himself before making a bid "If i could just get this PSA 8 under $11k....
Imagine buying a card for over eight grand and then a couple weeks later it starts selling for half that price - what would you do? I'm pretty sure some of these folks are going to start returning them. They can buy the card back for about four grand and then use the other half to buy something else!
Old 09-12-2020, 07:47 PM
David Riley

This is the oldest basketball RC I have. This one is blowing up on the down low apparently. I put it on eBay after an 8 sold for $550, but yanked it back off to see what a few more sales would do to it. Theres a 9 listed for $3600 +, and a 10 in auction. Crazy market.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-12-2020, 08:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That McAdoo is a notoriously difficult card for set builders. I had to work for a while to find a raw one with acceptable centering.

Or not...
Old 09-12-2020, 08:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Imagine buying a card for over eight grand and then a couple weeks later it starts selling for half that price - what would you do? I'm pretty sure some of these folks are going to start returning them. They can buy the card back for about four grand and then use the other half to buy something else!
Soil myself then return the card, I suppose. One reason I am pleased I sold out before the top; comparatively small chance of a return.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-12-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:34 AM
David Peck

Maybe Dr. J has cooled off but man looking at some of the auctions right now not sure how one could come to the conclusion the sky is falling.

Wilt PSA 9 at over 73k

Charles Barkley PSA 10 $6,600

Dominque near $7,500

Ewing at 6k

I remember when I first joined CU in 2010 a Wilt 9 was like 7k. It is amazing once these cards start running how high they can go.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:35 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Look at the Erving in PSA 9: during August, it was selling as high as $25,000! On September 10th, one sold for $16,559. And yesterday, another one went for $13,433!

And I agree with David. This isn't anything to worry about. I mean, this is only one of the top vintage basketball cards out there, and the value of this card is going down faster than the Titanic, but no biggie! Keep buying basketball, folks!

By the way, David, I would like to purchase 600 Erving shares, please. And I also want some Mikan ETFs - OOOOHHHHHH YEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2020, 04:01 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Look at the Erving in PSA 9: during August, it was selling as high as $25,000! On September 10th, one sold for $16,559. And yesterday, another one went for $13,433!

And I agree with David. This isn't anything to worry about. I mean, this is only one of the top vintage basketball cards out there, and the value of this card is going down faster than the Titanic, but no biggie! Keep buying basketball, folks!

By the way, David, I would like to purchase 600 Erving shares, please. And I also want some Mikan ETFs - OOOOHHHHHH YEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you missed this card at nearly 1.2 million. Well since you don't take PWCC listings seriously I guess that is why all these stellar prices don't count.

https://goldinauctions.com/2013_14_N...-LOT64417.aspx
Old 09-21-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Not too mention Skybox and Hoops. Its crazy
This is because there are so many new people and kids coming into the hobby. It’s becoming as popular as collecting shoes, supreme clothes, buying and selling. A new generation is coming in and buying what they never had, the legends. Where as they don’t look at the production numbers but rather what they like, so maybe junk wax for most but it’s new for fresh eyes
Old 09-23-2020, 11:07 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

This is quite a decline:

Not the best specimen but at $1194, down from several sales around $2,000.

Perhaps whoever was chasing these is done?

Or not...
Old 09-26-2020, 12:57 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

The 69' Topps Alcindor rookie is going down as well:

PSA 5 - August price was $5,000+
Last one sold for $2350.

PSA 6 - August price was $7,000+
Last one sold for $3975

PSA 7 - August price was $14,000
Last one sold for $7,901

OUUUUCCCCHHHHHHH!!!

Last edited by samosa4u; 09-26-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Pump and dump has hit dump time...

Or not...
Old 09-26-2020, 06:29 PM
Scott Russell

Let it hold out a little one more month please...

Have 20 Bird Johnson rookies in my next auction. Sets from 1974-87 with a stunning Jordan Rookie. All the Star Co cards, 20 Lebrons, etc.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-26-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:21 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Geez, Scott, that sucks. I bet you're feeling like a faith healer with appendicitis right about now.

Let's hear from the 'this is real' price rise cheerleaders: [crickets chirping in silence].

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-27-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:12 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Late-August was definitely when prices peaked. Let's look at the 1980 Topps Magic/Bird RC:

PSA 7 - August price was $3,500+
Last one went for $1,850.

PSA 8 - August price was $6,500+
Last one went for $4,400.

PSA 9 - August price was around $25,000
Last one went for $16,722.

Baby, yes, I did spend $100,000 USD on basketball cards over the summer, but don't be mad at me. I have a good job and I can easily make this money back ... please baby ... look at me ... oh wait, I know! You want that pink Birkin bag? I can buy it for you right now!
Old 09-27-2020, 02:33 PM
Chase

Wow the prices.

Even with all of the passion and excitement that Gary V has for these cards and they could not sustain 5X run up in a few months? Just shocking. Good thing he was not doing this for the money.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Wow the prices.

Even with all of the passion and excitement that Gary V has for these cards and they could not sustain 5X run up in a few months? Just shocking. Good thing he was not doing this for the money.
Wait, what are you saying, he's just another soulless shill pumping his own crap for a profit?

Or not...
Old 09-27-2020, 04:08 PM
Chase

Quote:
Wait, what are you saying, he's just another soulless shill pumping his own crap for a profit?
That is absolutely correct. Word is that he has not sold a single card during this time. Just a very passionate buyer who does not need to make a few bucks off of some silly pieces of cardboard.

Your faith in the hobby and humanity is safe until a real scam arises. Imagine if businesses started popping up out of the blue where you could own a piece of a high valued graded card and the valuation on the card was done by the owner of the card who is an owner of the company?
Old 09-27-2020, 04:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The Erving 8 seems to sell well around $3,700-$4,000 lately. it was about a $800 card a few years ago, which I felt was criminally low, but i still think it has room to fall at $4K.

Or not...
Old 09-27-2020, 05:29 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

I have been following this massive run up and it certainly has cooled big time with most basketball cards. I am glad I sold my Dr. J. rookie and Alcindor rookie as soon the hype started. Now I have to find some good replacements for them.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:59 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
shocking eh?
Old 09-27-2020, 08:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

1961 Fleer Bill Russell IA PSA 7 $449 this evening, one bid. September 1st, $1150.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-27-2020 at 08:37 PM.