NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Default Influential baseball card books...

Posted By: peter ullman

I used to have a soft cover book...now lost in my parents house...called most valuable baseball cards. I remember it had a 51 bowman mantle...among others on the cover. It wasn't particularly detailed in any one area but had a nice smattering of oddities.
It had the various t206 backs...listing the hustler as a possibility...had an e95 cut out cobb card with the script writing on top...and the e90-1 keeler throwing card as well. Does anyone know of this book?

What books were influential to you guys as an early collector...price guides?

pete ullman in mn

Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

There was a book called the "Great American Baseball Card Trading, Flipping and Bubble Gum" book that was released sometime back. It basically took cards from the 1950s and gave stories regarding these cards from a child/fan perspective. Great book and I've loved it since I was 8.

James

Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

"Great American Baseball Card Trading, Flipping and Bubble Gum"

Best Baseball Card Book Ever!

I read that book like 100 times as a kid, I would love to write something similar with cards from the 1980s.

Scott

Old 07-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

James beat me to the punch. I read The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book so many times it practically fell apart. As a pre-teen in the mid-1970s, seeing and reading about all of those great 1950s and '60s baseball cards -- and the classic Johnny U. football card -- along with the comments from the author, cemented my future as a collector.

That book is funny, informative, nostalgic and heart-warming. I haven't read it in years, but my bet is that it holds up well today. I know I still have my worn copy, and I might just have to go find it and read it again.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Loved this book so much I actually put together a set of cards that goes with the book. Many of the cards are fairly easy to find and I think the most expensive one was a Paige. Great book!

Joshua

Old 07-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred Y

That was the 1st book that came to my mind also! For those few who may NOT be familiar w/ it, here are pics of my well-read copies:

1st one is the original hardcover from 1973--

2nd one is a softcover version from 1991--

Old 07-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

if you don't have it, you must get it!

out of print...try amazon or abe books?

"classic baseball cards, the golden years 1886-1956" by frank slocum

Old 07-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I completely agree with Michael. Slocum's book is the greatest !!!

Old 07-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

BTW, the book is a true coffee table book, like cramer's...(barry & jeff). weighs about 10 pounds, it's huge!

Old 07-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

DITTO......for the "The Great American BB Card Flipping, Trading & Bubble Gum Book" book.

But, without a doubt the most influential to many of us is the "The Monster" by Bill Heitman.
Issued in 1980 it started us on a great lifetime adventure.

Thanx Bill.....wherever you are.....as you can see, mine exhibits 26 years of wear. Anyhow,
several years ago I acquired a near mint one.

TED Z

Old 07-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Roland

The best I ever read. My copy has Bobby Thomson and Herb Score cards on the cover, copyright 1973. Any value for this book. Not looking to sell , but curious.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hank

I have a copy of "Most Valuable Baseball Cards". This 64 page full color publication covers "N", "T", "E", "W", Goudey, Bowman, Topps and many regional & anonymous issues. It was written by Christopher Benjamin in 1990 and was a Perigee Book published by The Putnam Publishing Group in New York. The front cover also features the T206 Wagner & Plank, '33 Goudey Lajoie & Ruth, '34 Gehrig, '14 Cracker Jack Cobb,and '41 Playball DiMaggio plus the '51 Bowman Mantle.
The back page states: "Full-color reproductions of the 400 most sought-after baseball cards - with a total value of over $300,000!"
I must admit that what intrigued me was the photo page of T206 backs which includes all the usual suspects plus a Brown Old Mill Southern League factory overprint in red ink, a Ty Cobb back and a Hustler Little Cigars Baseball Series back along with a Hustler box. The description relating to Hustler says: "Does it exist? Burdick's 1938 and 1946 catalogs listed Hustler as one of the T-206 brands, but no cards with Hustler backs have been confirmed. Such a card would be worth a minimum of $5000."
It also priced the Cobb back at a minimum of $6000 and Wagner at $90000, "although actual prices have been much lower".
The colorful images make this a neat little book which was originally priced at $10.95. ISBN# is 0-399-51592-5.
Thanks for mentioning it as it gave me an opportunity to glance through it once again.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

thanks Hank...that's the one!!! I really like the book...but haven't been able to find my copy. next time in MD...I'll have to look harder!!!

pete ullman

Old 07-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

"Great American..." is wonderful and inspirational, but for nuts and bolts card history, I can't believe we're so many posts into the thread and the name "Lipset" hasn't been mentioned.

His "Encyclopedia" is amazing...still...he's in the Hall of Fame with Burdick as far as I'm concerned

Old 07-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

My mother gave me that book for Christmas one year...I have always thought it was an underrated book -especially for the time when it came out.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Dan,
I like how they superimposed "Baseball Series" under the Hustler ad ....I am pretty sure this is an urban legend and no baseball subjects were ever in the Hustler series....

Old 07-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I agree, and I have this book pictured above. There are no Hustler t206 cards. It is an absolute Urban Legend.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I've bit my tounge long enough!

Old 07-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

After I read the book, my wife read it cover to cover non-stop. She did complain about the lack of page numbers. It is certainly the first "sports" book read by my wife - quite a feather in your cap. Very nice read - now that HP is not in your way, the sky is the limit.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Glad to hear that it was a success!

The page numbers and other typos have all been fixed now for the books that Amazon.com is selling on line.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Good books, guys. The Monster certainly spurred collectors on. Mr. Lipset's 3 Encyclopedias are indispensable. And it seems to me that even though it is thick and lists lots of new, shiny stuff, the Standard Catalog is becoming a necessary book. I still look at The American Card Catalog... And Mr. Sugar's Sports Collector's Bible is still useful.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: P Spaeth

http://www.mrmint.com/books.html

Old 07-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

We're talking about influential baseball card books...not about junk.

Peter C.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

Burdick and Lipsett and pretty much thats all by way of "influential" written work. The impact of these publications still hang large over the hobby.