NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Dave

Default Introduction of Ebay Authentication

No word yet if they will include Sports Cards and Autographs. Seeing as Ebay is running it, does anybody see this as being anything other then a colossal disaster?

As of now, it looks to me like not much more then an extension of their VERO program for fashion designers.

I guess we can speculate what might happen if they decided to delve into Sports Cards and Memorabilia

http://pages.ebay.com/authentication/?rmvSB=true
Old 01-12-2017, 12:08 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

This is where the real disaster is going to happen:

"To further bolster consumer trust in this program, if a buyer receives an item following inspection and it’s found to be inauthentic, eBay will refund the buyer two times the cost of the original purchase price."
Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post

"To further bolster consumer trust in this program, if a buyer receives an item following inspection and it’s found to be inauthentic, eBay will refund the buyer two times the cost of the original purchase price."
I think I will buy an absolute crap load of stuff to easily double my money, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 PM
David M.

Quote:

Wow, this should be like printing money! I'll be buying myself some T206 Honus Wagner cards and 1952 Topps Mantles. It can't miss! Will I get to keep the fake card too?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Dave

The double your money part kicks in if their authenticators pass it the first time around (presumably from the pictures shown in an on-line listing).......and then fails after that.

A service you will have to pay for, according to the program.

I'm sure they'll cover themselves by only approving certain authenticators to re-authenticate the item (probably for another fee). Probably the same ones who passed it in the first place.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Bry@n

I would also guess that the bar for declaring something authentic will be set quite high. I foresee a lot of "uncertain authenticity" declarations coming.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Tee up 1928 Babe Ruth Candy and Froy Joy cards. IF "ebay" can tell authenticity on a few I have they are doing better than some graders and I ....
Old 01-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:

It sounds like this is an area where one could look to for a big score. You would simply need to find those obscure hobby areas where the seller and Ebay both don't know what end is up, and the seller lists the item for a large amount of money and then sit back and collect the cash.

It sounds like it could be more profitable than flipping cards.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:25 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

It also reminds me of another guarantee:

"If PSA, in fact, concludes that the card in question no longer merits the PSA grade assigned or fails PSA’s authenticity standards, PSA will either:

1. Buy the card from the submitter at the current market value if the card can no longer receive a numerical grade under PSA's standards or,
2. Refund the difference in value between the original PSA grade and the current PSA grade if the grade is lowered. In this case, the card will also be returned to the customer along with the refund for the difference in value.
The current market value is determined by PSA, based in part on Sports Market Report and SMR Online values and/or recent prices realized from the marketplace. PSA will be the sole determiner of the current market value."

It's like letting a school kid grade their own test or a restaurant do its own health inspection. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by conor912; 01-12-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
The double your money part kicks in if their authenticators pass it the first time around (presumably from the pictures shown in an on-line listing).......and then fails after that.

A service you will have to pay for, according to the program.

I'm sure they'll cover themselves by only approving certain authenticators to re-authenticate the item (probably for another fee). Probably the same ones who passed it in the first place.

The way I'm reading it, the item is going to physically go to the authenticator first, because they mention then "forwarding" it to the buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2017, 01:41 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Drew Max better get his magnifier ready...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-12-2017, 01:47 PM

Default Introduction of Ebay Authentication

I have bought a few authenticated/graded cards, but never submitted/paid for it myself. Although eBay will likely find a way to make this suck, I could potentially see myself using it on an ungraded purchase only if 1) buying ungraded makes sense due to price savings AND 2) I've already consulted some folks that can make a reasonable guess from the pictures alone, AND 3) the cost is comparable to the current prices for grading.

One relevant question: let's say they do use the big 3 for authentication. If the seller lists as original and the buyer pays for the authentication service that deems it fake, what then? Is the buyer refunded minus the authentication fee? Or does eBay refund the buyer entirely and charge the authentication fee to the seller as "punishment" for claiming the allegedly fake item was real? This could get messy.

Last edited by mattjc1983; 01-12-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjc1983 View Post
The way I'm reading it, the item is going to physically go to the authenticator first, because they mention then "forwarding" it to the buyer.

Possibly. They don't make it real clear either way.

If that's the case they also don't make clear a time schedule, or how long it might take for an item to go from seller, to authenticator, to buyer.....and how they adjust for a buyer getting antsy they haven't received their item yet.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:42 PM
Bill Avery

Didn't they already try this with autographs a few years back. I remember it being a service where buyers could ask for authentication of autographs and if the autograph was deemed to be not authentic the seller would be banned from selling on e-bay or some such nonsense. I think it was part of a deal e-bay made with PSA and sellers were being harassed by PSA to submit all autographs to them for authentication or else face banishment. I could be completely wrong as I haven't heard about it in a long time.

Bill Avery