NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-31-2019, 10:15 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson and the Baltimore Orioles

Day 1 (January 1, 2020 - 001)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I’ve been inspired by some of the single player collector threads and have desired to start one in the past, but failed to do so mainly because I’m not the greatest with the computer thing and getting the pictures large enough to see has been an issue. Also, the organizational skills with collecting has been somewhat lacking. Anyway, I’m going to give it a shot and we’ll see what happens.

I recall Mike (docpatly) saying that it surprises him that there are not more threads like this, devoted to a single player, so let us give Brooks Robinson of the Baltimore Orioles a shot. I’m sure Brooksie doesn’t have as many followers/collectors as the great Roberto Clemente, but my desire would be to see “anything” related to Brooks or the Orioles; that would include any Baltimore teams (including old school Intl league for example), Playoffs vs. the O’s, World Series appearances with the O’s, etc. Would love to see some pre-war stuff posted. Hey, get creative and post away…

One of the other reasons for starting this thread is to commemorate the 1970 World Series (has it been 50 years?!?). I’m sure Mike (71buc) will follow this thread up in 2021 with a daily thread commemorating the ’71 Pirates.

I mainly collect Brooks Robinson playing day items, but also enjoy picking up Orioles memorabilia as well so I’ll scatter these type of items in the thread. I really didn’t have a lot of disposable income throughout the years, so most of my collection has been picked up slowly over time.

Why Brooks and the Orioles you may ask? I was born in Baltimore (Charm City) and lived on the outskirts and my father worked in the city. My dad was from NJ originally and was a Yankee fan growing up, but slowly and steadily over time, living in MD, became an Orioles fan and he particularly favored Brooks Robinson, the Orioles up and coming third baseman. My dad worked for a large transportation company which had season tickets so we went to Memorial Stadium often. Brooks became my favorite player and hero growing up. I emulated his playing style and “always” wanted to play third. My mom was a fan as well, and took me to the store to pick up cards; back then I wanted them all (football, basketball, hockey, but mainly baseball). Both my mom and dad have since passed away, but I have the memories of having wonderful parents who invested in their child and taught me about sports, but mainly life.

So, let us get this thing started with what Brooks does best...fielding. This is a color picture of Brooks, the greatest third baseman of all time, in action.

Day 1 1 Photo.jpg

This color picture shown above was used for the cover of the magazine Baseball 1971 Yearbook. As a side note, growing up Johnny Bench was my favorite non-Oriole player. Again, I’m sure there are plenty of Bench fans to weigh in; I know David (jb67) has some very cool Bench items (I’m sure there are others). I have always enjoyed the defensive part of the game and he was the best catcher I’ve seen play. They shared the cover on a couple magazines back in the day and maybe we’ll see some more this coming year. The article in this magazine related to Brooks is entitled, “Brooks Robinson’s Greatest Decision”

Baseball 1971 Yearbook

Day 1 b 2.jpg

Quote: "You know it's a crime for anybody to have as much fun as Robby's having . . . and making money for it." - Robin Roberts
Old 12-31-2019, 11:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Let's start with his rookie card. It was one of the final cards I grabbed to finish my set. Guess I was saving the best for last?

1957koufax302robinson328.jpg

Met Brooksie at a show on Long Island a hundred years ago, and man what an incredibly nice guy!!!! Hearing him with that southern accent, talking to everybody in line, was quite a trip for us Noo Yawkizz. He earned a huge place in this baseball fan's heart that day!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:25 AM

Happy New Year to all. Can’t wait to see what this thread brings.
Brooks Robinson was the best third baseman to ever play the game and better yet an all time good guy ! Have you ever heard anyone say anything bad about Brooks???
I am sure his wife may have but that’s how it goes. Growing up in Baltimore he was every kid that played baseball favorite player.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:36 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Happy New Year to all. Can’t wait to see what this thread brings.
Brooks Robinson was the best third baseman to ever play the game and better yet an all time good guy ! Have you ever heard anyone say anything bad about Brooks???
I am sure his wife may have but that’s how it goes. Growing up in Baltimore he was every kid that played baseball favorite player.
Scott,

Looking forward to posting daily. We'll see if I can make it, with interesting items, till year end.

By the way you'll have to document one negative quote by his wife (Connie) for proof of your premise

i know he was my favorite growing up in Baltimore; that's for sure!
Old 01-01-2020, 07:38 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Mark,

As an Orioles fan and collector, I'm excited to see what gets posted over course of the year. Brooks is a big part of my collection and I'll post items as I get a chance.

I grew up in Maine and at 6 years old I fell in love with the bird on the Orioles hat. That was the year Brooks was the AL MVP, so he became my favorite player. The first time I ever met him was at a card show in Portland Maine. By that time, I had three small boys of my own, but I was more excited than the boys.

I'll start my contributions to the thread by posting Brook's first minor league program from the York White Roses in 1955. Brooks was 18 years old and hit .331 in 95 games. I love Orioles history and it's a big part of my collection, although I only collect the O's from 1954 to present and don't do the minor league Orioles before that.

Mark, good luck and looking forward to following this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 York White Roses.jpg (81.8 KB, 2746 views)
Old 01-01-2020, 09:16 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Mark,

As an Orioles fan and collector, I'm excited to see what gets posted over course of the year. Brooks is a big part of my collection and I'll post items as I get a chance.

I grew up in Maine and at 6 years old I fell in love with the bird on the Orioles hat. That was the year Brooks was the AL MVP, so he became my favorite player. The first time I ever met him was at a card show in Portland Maine. By that time, I had three small boys of my own, but I was more excited than the boys.

I'll start my contributions to the thread by posting Brook's first minor league program from the York White Roses in 1955. Brooks was 18 years old and hit .331 in 95 games. I love Orioles history and it's a big part of my collection, although I only collect the O's from 1954 to present and don't do the minor league Orioles before that.

Mark, good luck and looking forward to following this year.
Alan,

Thank you so much for posting the York White Roses program. The early minor league programs are something I would love to add someday. I’m also looking forward to you adding not only Brooks items to the thread, but just great Orioles and Oriole related items that you have collected over the years. Also, you’ll have to post some pictures of your Orioles room this coming year.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:27 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Let's start with his rookie card. It was one of the final cards I grabbed to finish my set. Guess I was saving the best for last?

Met Brooksie at a show on Long Island a hundred years ago, and man what an incredibly nice guy!!!! Hearing him with that southern accent, talking to everybody in line, was quite a trip for us Noo Yawkizz. He earned a huge place in this baseball fan's heart that day!!!
Darren,

Might as well show his rookie card up front; such a great shot of young Brooks. Yours is in better shape than mine and I'm glad you added Koufax to the mix since the Orioles and the Dodgers are now are linked by the 1966 Series. Koufax was such a great pitcher and your card and Brooks' as well have nice registration which were tough on these cards.

1957 Topps #328

img158 (2).jpg

Brooks is such a great person; met him on several occasions over the years. So glad that he made a positive impression when you met him at a show. Maybe we'll discuss that more as the year progresses...
Old 01-04-2020, 04:11 PM
Tim Odeen

https://deadspin.com/what-i-found-at...tio-1826838160

Saw this on my phone today. Made me think of this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 01-04-2020, 06:13 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
https://deadspin.com/what-i-found-at...tio-1826838160

Saw this on my phone today. Made me think of this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Tim,

Thanks for attaching the link to the article. That was an interesting read.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:59 AM
John

Here are a few Brooks and O's items sitting in one of my cases...will share more later

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2020, 01:28 PM
Mike

I was born in Highlandtown just west of Patterson Park. When I was in the second grade, my family moved to just south of Memorial Stadium. With the bedroom window open due to no A/C, listening To Chuck T. do the Bird Games, I could hear the roar from the stadium a beat ahead of hearing it on the Radio (WBAL perhaps?). Living so close to the Stadium came with the added benefit of seeing various Orioles (and Colts) driving through the neighborhood, including Brooks and Johnny U. That is one of the sharpest memories for me from my childhood. I met Brooks a couple of times as an adult and he did not disappoint the little boy in me that bubbled to the surface, no matter how hard I tried to be "cool".

I am at work as I type this and have little to add to the thread but....This is my Wallpaper on this computer. To an Oriole fan, it needs no explanation.

2brooksie.jpg
Old 01-06-2020, 02:02 PM

Nice post! Chuck Thompson was on WBAL. If you never read his book “ Ain’t the beer cold “ pick it up. It’s a good read .
Old 01-06-2020, 03:52 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Voices of the "Orioles"

Quote:
Nice post! Chuck Thompson was on WBAL. If you never read his book “ Ain’t the beer cold “ pick it up. It’s a good read .
Gonna list WBAL, but no picture?

Thompson Miller.jpg

I was going to post something about Chuck Thompson on down the line, but why not just a picture for now.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-06-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:56 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
I agree that Chuck's book is a fantastic read...Back in '96, I was at the Orioles offices (during the off season) and lo and behold in walks Chuck & his wife Betty. I introduced myself and told him how much I enjoyed his book and that I had lived in the Reading (PA) area for some time (that was where he got his broadcasting start). I also mentioned that I was sorry I hadn't brought his book with me to have it signed. Chuck thanked me for liking the book & offered to give me his address so I could mail it to him for him to autograph & return (which I obviously took advantage of):

Old 01-07-2020, 02:00 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Mark Belanger

Day 7 (January 7, 2020 – 007)

The Orioles had some great defensive players over the years, particularly at shortstop, and one of the greatest was Mark “the Blade” Belanger. If you’ve never had the opportunity to see him play you have definitely missed out. As a baseball fan he’s definitely in the top tier for the best defensive shortstop of all time. Field - YES, Hit - NO.

Not the greatest picture in the world, but for me you can’t beat having “Mr. Impossible” and “The Blade” in the same shot. The picture is from a game in Yankee Stadium during the ’71 season where Brooks fielded a grounder in the hole and throws out Michael at first.

I like a quote that Mark Belanger said about Brooks, ‘I’d see him make one of his great plays and I’d be astounded,’ ‘Then he’d do it again and again and you come to expect it. It became routine.’

Day 7 a.jpg

A picture pack photo of Belanger as well.

Day 7 b.jpg
Old 01-06-2020, 03:43 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
I was born in Highlandtown just west of Patterson Park. When I was in the second grade, my family moved to just south of Memorial Stadium. With the bedroom window open due to no A/C, listening To Chuck T. do the Bird Games, I could hear the roar from the stadium a beat ahead of hearing it on the Radio (WBAL perhaps?). Living so close to the Stadium came with the added benefit of seeing various Orioles (and Colts) driving through the neighborhood, including Brooks and Johnny U. That is one of the sharpest memories for me from my childhood. I met Brooks a couple of times as an adult and he did not disappoint the little boy in me that bubbled to the surface, no matter how hard I tried to be "cool".

I am at work as I type this and have little to add to the thread but....This is my Wallpaper on this computer. To an Oriole fan, it needs no explanation.
Mike,

Thanks for sharing the memory of when you were young growing up near Memorial Stadium. I have some great childhood memories as well going to the ball park. By the way you don't need to share any pictures at all; just some childhood memories will do...
Old 01-06-2020, 03:40 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
Here are a few Brooks and O's items sitting in one of my cases...will share more later

What a great screen name you have (orioles70); has it been THAT long? That was the other motivation to start a thread since it's been 50 years since the 1970 World Series.

That is a great display you have; can you picture the whole display?
Old 01-06-2020, 04:16 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
What a great screen name you have (orioles70); has it been THAT long? That was the other motivation to start a thread since it's been 50 years since the 1970 World Series.

That is a great display you have; can you picture the whole display?
I was just 10 in 1970 and didn't realize how spoiled I was as a kid in regards to the Orioles winning ways. I thought they would always play that well. Looking back, now I know how young Yankee fans felt in the 50's and early 60's and how they expected to win forever. I will post more of that display case tomorrow.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 AM
John

Here is another part of the case

Old 01-07-2020, 03:30 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Here is another part of the case.

This is the final part of the bottom shelf of case
Thanks so very much for posting the pictures of the case; looks awesome! You have a lot of nice items pictured and I like how you have it set up and items identified. I think the Danbury Mint Orioles '70 WS team sets it all off. Maybe one day I can add this piece to my O's collection.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:53 PM
M@rk Comer

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy)

71-72 salesman sample jersey by Rawlings.

Brooks 2 Front (2).jpg

Brooks 2 Back (2).jpg
Old 01-07-2020, 07:05 PM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Mark asked for some pictures of the man cave. Unfortunately, although I don't miss the snow of Maine at all, I'm in Florida for the winter. I'll have to take some better photos when I get home.

I did find photos of my set of hand painted baseballs of the 1983 Orioles World Series champions. A friend of mine painted these on official MLB baseballs in 1984, from team issued postcards I provided her. She did the entire 25 man post season roster. My photos don't do them justice. They look much better in person.

My original plan was to get them autographed, but I never got around to it. Now that some of the players are deceased, I'm glad I don't have some autographed and not the others.

DSCN1160.jpg

A few of my favorite cards in the front, especially the 1967 Brooks Robinson.

DSCN1161.jpg

DSCN1162.jpg

DSCN1163.jpg

Notice in the back row, playoff hero Tito Landrum.

DSCN1170.jpg
Old 01-07-2020, 07:17 PM

Wow that is some collection but what I really like is that Powell 1968 3D card. That’s awesome About 5 years ago I found a Perez at a local flea market ! My heart was beating when I saw it . It crazy to think” they are still out there “
Old 01-07-2020, 07:21 PM
Bob Andrews

Chuck Thompson bobble

photo 3.jpg

1958 All-Star program, played at Memorial Stadium. I love publications and lack just the '54 Media Guide (called the Spring Training Guide) to have a run of Orioles yearbooks, programs and media guides.

img231.jpg
Old 01-08-2020, 02:11 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Mark asked for some pictures of the man cave. Unfortunately, although I don't miss the snow of Maine at all, I'm in Florida for the winter. I'll have to take some better photos when I get home.

I did find photos of my set of hand painted baseballs of the 1983 Orioles World Series champions. A friend of mine painted these on official MLB baseballs in 1984, from team issued postcards I provided her. She did the entire 25 man post season roster. My photos don't do them justice. They look much better in person.

My original plan was to get them autographed, but I never got around to it. Now that some of the players are deceased, I'm glad I don't have some autographed and not the others.

Thanks Alan for posting some pics of your collection. I "really" like the painted '83 WS team. The artist did a fine job with the likeness in my view and makes for a great display.

Some nice and some rare cards you have displayed as well. I'm fond of the 1967 Topps Brooks Robinson card as well.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:52 PM
M@rk Comer

[QUOTE=BaltOrioles;1945262]I did find photos of my set of hand painted baseballs of the 1983 Orioles World Series champions. A friend of mine painted these on official MLB baseballs in 1984, from team issued postcards I provided her. She did the entire 25 man post season roster. My photos don't do them justice. They look much better in person.

Alan,

One more thing on the painted baseballs of the '83 Orioles WS Champs. Just an opinion, but I think when you get back home to Maine you should take individual photos of each ball and post in this thread. I'd really enjoy seeing each (and every) one shared for all to see (or at least for me to see). What do you think? A nice goal for the future?!?
Old 01-07-2020, 10:17 AM
John

This is the final part of the bottom shelf of case

Old 01-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Mike Magee

Orioles 70, what a great display! What is that Gaylord Perry wine bottle though? I collect player-related wine bottles and have never seen a Perry.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:56 AM
John

You are testing my memory...I saw Gaylord Perry (Jim Coates was also at the show) back in the mid to late 80's after he retired at a small show in VA Beach not too far from his home in NC. He had brought some of his peanut bags and I remember you could get a peanut bag and him to sign it for $2.00...I remember Jim Coates was charging more than a 300 game winner...am thinking I must have got that wine at the same show but can't be certain because I didn't get it signed...it is numbered #300/314 for his total wins...it has the logos of the 8 teams he played for and AL/NL Cy Young and bottling info but no year...he was one of my first in person autographs

Old 01-07-2020, 11:09 AM
Mike Magee

Thank you for the info!
Old 01-08-2020, 10:36 AM
John

Here is the top of another case I have showing some Brooks itens

Old 01-08-2020, 03:20 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Collector

Quote:
Here is the top of another case I have showing some Brooks itens
I didn’t know you were a full fledged Brooks Robinson collector. With all the Brooksie stuff your showing on display it definitely makes for great viewing. By the way, what is the Brooks diving piece?

Also, very cool on the Avon box!
Old 01-09-2020, 01:15 PM
John

Quote:
I didn’t know you were a full fledged Brooks Robinson collector. With all the Brooksie stuff your showing on display it definitely makes for great viewing. By the way, what is the Brooks diving piece?

Also, very cool on the Avon box!
I am an Oriole collector but have accumulated a lot of Brooks items along the way...the Brooks diving piece is a custom piece I am guessing I acquired 10-15 years ago...a guy customized a McFarlane piece as a Brooks and I thought it was cool and would make a nice display piece...it is set so you can't see the original face and I'm not sure who the piece originally was before customization.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:43 AM
John

Very nice programs

Old 01-08-2020, 11:57 AM
Mike Dugan

It is my understanding that there were no hard copies of the 2019 media guide, I wonder if they did a small guide for each series, perhaps spiral bound like some NFL teams do?

It is also my understanding that the Dodgers did not do a hard copy in 2019. Several NFL teams have done this for the last 4-5 years and some have returned to printing guides, same for hockey.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:37 AM
Mike Reid

Mark: don’t know if you have one of these. Let me know if you are interested in it.
B5EDFDF5-63BC-45B4-BF3F-D8ACC81E2B74.jpg

3D6E5127-2218-4170-B9C5-941E032D8338.jpg
Old 01-09-2020, 03:01 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
Mark: don’t know if you have one of these. Let me know if you are interested in it.
PM sent.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:50 PM
John

Here is an overall view of one of my cases...will try and provide some more close up pics.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:40 PM
John

A few closer pics

Old 01-09-2020, 02:47 PM
John

And a few more. I think all of the several hundred items in and on this case are O's related except for a few of Yaz, Frank Howard and Gaylord Perry and a few of the signed mini helmets. Are these pics ok for this thread or should they be posted in another thread?

Old 01-09-2020, 03:41 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
And a few more. I think all of the several hundred items in and on this case are O's related except for a few of Yaz, Frank Howard and Gaylord Perry and a few of the signed mini helmets. Are these pics ok for this thread or should they be posted in another thread?
OF COURSE these pics are ok for this thread and your encouraged to do so. I think your displays are sooo nice. Now, you may want to post some of your pics in the memorabilia room thread as well; they may enjoy the show just like me...
Old 01-10-2020, 02:32 PM
John

Love the Hartland statues...always wanted to customize my Aparicio too...wrote Frank Fulop many years ago for his autograph to display with my set of 25th anniversary statues

Old 01-11-2020, 03:41 PM
Mike Reid

Mark: the 71 All-Star game was the first game I ever attended. These are from the 2001 Upper Deck issue. I try and collect everything I can related to that game. Frank Robinson has a card in this subset and hit a home run that night as well .There were many Orioles in that game as you know and Earl Weaver was the American League manager that night. I believe it still has the record for most HOFers to play in an All-Star game. The tickets pictured were the 3 tickets we used that night. As a 9 year old boy I can’t tell you what an impact that had on me. My Dad and I had been collecting for about 2 years at that time and that night put it in overdrive. Both my parents are gone now but I can tell you that I get a smile and maybe a tear when I look back at what great memories this hobby of ours brought to our family.

871875F0-F313-46CB-AB8D-BB1BDB616514.jpg

17EE4895-CD2C-44B6-9665-2A4E367064F5.jpg
Old 01-11-2020, 03:43 PM
Clint

Great memories Mike, thanks for sharing!
Old 01-11-2020, 06:16 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
Mark: the 71 All-Star game was the first game I ever attended. These are from the 2001 Upper Deck issue. I try and collect everything I can related to that game. Frank Robinson has a card in this subset and hit a home run that night as well .There were many Orioles in that game as you know and Earl Weaver was the American League manager that night. I believe it still has the record for most HOFers to play in an All-Star game. The tickets pictured were the 3 tickets we used that night. As a 9 year old boy I can’t tell you what an impact that had on me. My Dad and I had been collecting for about 2 years at that time and that night put it in overdrive. Both my parents are gone now but I can tell you that I get a smile and maybe a tear when I look back at what great memories this hobby of ours brought to our family.
Mike,

Thanks so much for sharing. Sounds like you had a great upbringing and parents. I understand; both of my parents have passed away. Also, my wife’s parents have passed as well.

Those are some awesome items!
Old 01-12-2020, 01:33 PM
Curt

I just dug up a stack of these 1965 player pages that were pulled from a book, to post on ebay. Robinson was included. Nothing rare or all that special, but they are kind of cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Baseball 64 Robinson.jpg (73.3 KB, 219 views)
Old 01-12-2020, 02:20 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I just dug up a stack of these 1965 player pages that were pulled from a book, to post on ebay. Robinson was included. Nothing rare or all that special, but they are kind of cool.
Curt,

I think I have that particular B&W 8x10 picture packed away somewhere. Is this one that’s cut from a magazine large or is it a small cutout?

Hope your Garvey collection is going well.

Oh, and don’t you have a Brooks Robinson signed run that you can post?
Old 01-12-2020, 02:30 PM
Bob Andrews

Three pages from a 1951 exhibition game played in Baltimore by the International League Orioles against the Brooklyn Dodgers as they traveled north to start their season.

Snider, Robinson, Campy, and Hodges all in the starting lineup.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Curt

The Avalon Hill ad is slightly larger than 8x10 size.
I do have an incomplete Robby auto run, but not sure I kept the photo after I took it last time. The cards are tucked back away with the rest now though.
I'll see if I still have it saved to the computer.

Quote:
Curt,

I think I have that particular B&W 8x10 picture packed away somewhere. Is this one that’s cut from a magazine large or is it a small cutout?

Hope your Garvey collection is going well.

Oh, and don’t you have a Brooks Robinson signed run that you can post?
Old 01-12-2020, 02:15 PM
Curt

Here is something maybe a little more odd. I got this in a lot of advertisements taken from what was described as Toy industry magazines. This one is called "Playthings". A quick ebay search only found 1 issue. Probably not something you could just buy off the news stand. Perhaps you had to be an industry insider to have access to the magazine?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PLAYTHINGS-...gAAOSwMUpckZez

Avalon Hill did the Superstar Baseball game, which I used to play.

Makes me wonder if any of those 100 signed photos are out there and can they be linked back to the contest in any way?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robinson Toy Ad.jpg (77.6 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by mrmopar; 01-12-2020 at 02:18 PM.