NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2020, 09:01 AM
Brian K

Default To Sell or Not to Sell or This Would be a lot Easier in Person

I've got a little bit of a pickle that I have been kicking around during this crazy time. I have been collecting for years, and have been fortunate to put together some great sets, and snag some great cards through the years for reasonable prices. I don't collect high level cards, and I am just as happy to snag Dave Winfield rookie cards as I am to get a creased, stained, and marked up T206. One of the sets that I have assembled is a 1948-49 Leaf set. The hope was to pass it down to my kids, as those dates are the birth years of their grandparents. In the current market though, a couple of the cards have got me thinking.

I was able to snag a Jackie Robinson RC 5 years ago, raw, and it ended up grading out a PSA 4. In the current market, the value of this card has been jumping by the month. One sold last night for $11k, the two before it sold for $10,800 and a best offer accepted with a posted price of $13,500.

If things were normal, I would take the card to a show and try to trade down for a lower grade card to maintain the set, and try to snag a package of lower grade iconic cards to hit a fair market trade. Being that shows aren't going to happen anytime soon, I am faced with selling the card or holding it. I am fine with holding it, but don't want to miss an opportunity to grow my collection and pick up some other cards at the same time. I'm not comfortable shipping a card with that value, and 50/50 on selling through ebay/paypal with all the fees associated with them. Am I overthinking it?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2422_lo.jpg (56.4 KB, 449 views)
Old 07-15-2020, 09:24 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

try the boards!

I think youd be just fine sending registered via ebay as well

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-15-2020, 09:30 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default I Counsel Patience

I would vote to hold it. This Covid-19 crisis we're in will pass. Shows will start up again next year. Opportunities will CONTINUE to present themselves in the months and years ahead. Don't do a head job on yourself. As my mom used to tell me, patience is a virtue. I know, lots of moms told their sons that. But unless you need cash quick, I say relax and wait for normalcy. And it will come. There's even good news on the medical front (Moderna) this morning.
My two cents.
Peace and stay healthy!
Old 07-15-2020, 09:36 AM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzoumanian View Post
I would vote to hold it. This Covid-19 crisis we're in will pass. Shows will start up again next year. Opportunities will CONTINUE to present themselves in the months and years ahead. Don't do a head job on yourself. As my mom used to tell me, patience is a virtue. I know, lots of moms told their sons that. But unless you need cash quick, I say relax and wait for normalcy. And it will come. There's even good news on the medical front (Moderna) this morning.
My two cents.
Peace and stay healthy!
Thanks Mark, it is definitely not a MUST to move it now, candidly I have never been in the position of actually having a card of value, so there was a freak out "what the hell do I do" moment when I watched the 3rd card in a row sell for over $10k on ebay.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:37 AM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
try the boards!

I think youd be just fine sending registered via ebay as well
Great idea, thank you!
Old 07-15-2020, 07:12 PM

Don't do a head job on yourself.

I had to read this line a few times to get what he meant.

Shows where my mind is.....
Old 07-15-2020, 08:40 PM
And.y Ell.is

I agree with previous, I would wait and go to The National, you will find the best selection there !!
Old 07-15-2020, 11:10 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

I think that if you do sell it, just include the cost of insurance in your sale when you ship it and be safe.

Who knows where the prices are going on anything but I have seen a lot of things selling for a lot more than I would expect, so I might want to let go and grab the money. You can hold the money and then take it to shows to find the lower grade card or maybe get lucky in an auction or one showing up on ebay.

Otherwise, if you still don't want to sell it then I would think if you can wait for nationals to do that. But I have always been one when I think I should actually let a card go when I think it is on a run-up in price, but then again, I have looked back and the card that kept going up I have kicked myself for as well.

I do love that you collect the sets regardless of the condition and I hope your kids appreciate them!
Old 07-16-2020, 12:28 AM
Tim Odeen

Hold it. I wouldn't even sell it in the future. You put the set together for your kids inheritance, leave them a nice gift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 07-16-2020, 07:46 AM
Michael C

Why not stick a giant number on it and put it on ebay with a buy it now?
Old 07-16-2020, 08:57 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Personal decision

To play devils advocate - I think it is 50/50 at best IF the national (or any other large show) will happen through the rest of this year.

It sounds like you are ready to move the card but are concerned -1) about replacing it and 2) the safety of how to sell and protect.

Presuming those are correct assumptions, selling safely - I would start on the bst here (no fees) -be sure you insure it and send registered in terms of high level postal tracking and safety. Be sure you get paid before sending the card. Ebay is another option - send registered/insured and I would feel really comfortable in terms of safety - bear in mind you will pay ~10% in Ebay fees + 3% in Paypal fees. No need to wait for a show. Regarding replacing the card - certainly an option to find one you like on bst or Ebay or wait for shows to come back. What happens value wise is anyones guess - as discussed on other threads there has been a HUGE spike in card prices overall during the pandemic - doe that sustain when things get "back to normal"? Go down? Go up? Anyones guess.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Hold it. I wouldn't even sell it in the future. You put the set together for your kids inheritance, leave them a nice gift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I would agree with this. That is a really nice card. The only issue I see is centering. I have seen older graded versions get a 6 that aren’t that nice. That is a card that can be the centerpiece of a collection and will make the set stand out. I wouldn’t sell or trade it to turn it into lesser cards.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:26 AM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I would agree with this. That is a really nice card. The only issue I see is centering. I have seen older graded versions get a 6 that aren’t that nice. That is a card that can be the centerpiece of a collection and will make the set stand out. I wouldn’t sell or trade it to turn it into lesser cards.
Thank you all for the thoughts. I agree with you all, I will hold it, but might take a wander around the National with it, just in case, whenever that day comes.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the input!
Old 07-16-2020, 12:00 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
Thank you all for the thoughts. I agree with you all, I will hold it, but might take a wander around the National with it, just in case, whenever that day comes.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the input!
Nationals are amazing (and I miss this summer’s dearly), but they are not great places to get a good value on your card. Dealers have expenses and will usually figure in their margin on a trade. You’d get the most value selling/trading with a collector vs. someone set up at the National.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:59 PM
Dan Studebaker

Would you buy it for that price? If not, sell it.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:22 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I would hold unless I ran across a no-brainer deal. I feel safer on the boards than selling on ebay... little to no seller protection and scams are rampant these days....
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.