NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-28-2012, 05:18 PM

Default PAWN STARS Shoeless Joe Jackson signed book...

I just heard about the goof on pawn stars last night. There was a book that a guy had for sale that was signed by Shoeless Joe Jackson. It had a COA from Herman Darvick. Herman is a person that sold something signed by shoeless joe for 23 grand a few years ago. Long story short...the book was a fake and the Pawn Stars are out 13 GRAND on the item.

To make matters worse, they sent the book to PSA/DNA and it came back with a rejection letter saying that the book showed signs of being traced.

How can such a self appointed expert make such a huge mistake??? And he works for PSA??? What about other items with his COA now?

It can be seen here: http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-st...say-it-aint-so

watch the whole thing as this goes on for the whole show.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 PM

i saw the show. i was excited at first, because at quick glance i thought it was legit. i was SUPER shocked Rick didn't bring in an expert first, almost seemed staged to create "good" TV, he never screws up that bad, and not having someone look at it first was inexcusable.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM

The question I have for PSA and their so-called experts is this: Has anyone there given any thought to the fact that the same characteristics that apply to tracing (i.e., pressure points, delays, etc., etc......), pretty much apply to someone such as Joe Jackson who would have been "drawing" his name based on a pattern taught him by his wife. I interviewed Eugene Estes (and that name means little to history, except that he witnessed Joe signing his Will). Mr. Estes told me that Joe struggled to sign his name, that he practiced on the back on an envelope three times before setting pen to paper on the Will. Mr. Estes said Joe stopped several times during the signing, which in my opinion would make it looked "traced". Now, I am not saying PSA got it wrong, but there is enough reasonable doubt in my mind that if I were Rick Harrison, I'd have it forensically tested for period ink and that the ink had been on the page for a period of between 1947 (when the book was published) and December 5, 1951 (The date Joe Jackson ceased to be a living entity). The signature on the book looks different than the one that appears on his will, but the one on his will appears different that the one that appears on his 1941 mortgage note and that one appears different that the one on his 1949 drivers license. In other words.....all his signatures different somewhat, since he was just tracing a pattern taught to him by his wife Katie. I sent Rick Harrison an email and told him as much. But I do agree that the piece appeared to be staged for TV....as Rick has almost always went to one of his "experts" when he was about to lay out that much cash for something.

Mike Nola
Official Historian
The Shoeless Joe Jackson Virtual Hall of Fame Web Site
http://www.blackbetsy.com/
Home of the Joe Jackson model Louisville Slugger baseball bat offer.
The voice said "Build it and they will come".........and they have!!!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:22 PM

all good points. i also found it funny when his expert (after he purchased it) said it looks like it was signed "slowly"...NO SH*T! it was (if truly signed by Joe's hand) signed by an illiterate person who can't write, so of course it was executed slowly.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:42 PM

Very well written Blackbetsy
Old 08-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringking View Post
I just heard about the goof on pawn stars last night. There was a book that a guy had for sale that was signed by Shoeless Joe Jackson. It had a COA from Herman Darvick. Herman is a person that sold something signed by shoeless joe for 23 grand a few years ago. Long story short...the book was a fake and the Pawn Stars are out 13 GRAND on the item.

To make matters worse, they sent the book to PSA/DNA and it came back with a rejection letter saying that the book showed signs of being traced.

How can such a self appointed expert make such a huge mistake??? And he works for PSA??? What about other items with his COA now?

It looks like the LOA was dated in 1994. I think Herman Munster should comment about it or make a retraction that he made a mistake in 1994...or???
Old 08-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Pete Sycks

It's all for show, no way he really bought it before getting it checked out. He's not wanting to blow $13k. Chumly might though.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetsy View Post
The question I have for PSA and their so-called experts is this: Has anyone there given any thought to the fact that the same characteristics that apply to tracing (i.e., pressure points, delays, etc., etc......), pretty much apply to someone such as Joe Jackson who would have been "drawing" his name based on a pattern taught him by his wife. I interviewed Eugene Estes (and that name means little to history, except that he witnessed Joe signing his Will). Mr. Estes told me that Joe struggled to sign his name, that he practiced on the back on an envelope three times before setting pen to paper on the Will. Mr. Estes said Joe stopped several times during the signing, which in my opinion would make it looked "traced". Now, I am not saying PSA got it wrong, but there is enough reasonable doubt in my mind that if I were Rick Harrison, I'd have it forensically tested for period ink and that the ink had been on the page for a period of between 1947 (when the book was published) and December 5, 1951 (The date Joe Jackson ceased to be a living entity). The signature on the book looks different than the one that appears on his will, but the one on his will appears different that the one that appears on his 1941 mortgage note and that one appears different that the one on his 1949 drivers license. In other words.....all his signatures different somewhat, since he was just tracing a pattern taught to him by his wife Katie. I sent Rick Harrison an email and told him as much. But I do agree that the piece appeared to be staged for TV....as Rick has almost always went to one of his "experts" when he was about to lay out that much cash for something.

Mike Nola
Official Historian
In that scenario, why would the 'e' in Joe have been erased and redrawn? Why would it be smooth flowing, relative to known sigs? Why would he sign a BOOK (that was already signed by his wife on his behalf), when he was so apprehensive to sign his MORTGAGE and WILL?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Jim Murphy

I find it hard to believe that most of you don't know that American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Storage Units show and the such are staged. If they didn't f up once in a while you might belive they aren't true.

A friend in central PA who was on Pickers a year or so ago, said they spent 3 days getting things right at his house just to buy one gun
Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Banned

Excellent point, Jim.

Discussing why certain things do or don't happen on Pawn Stars is like debating why Norm always sat at the end of the bar on Cheers or why Richie couldn't get a date for the prom on Happy Days.

Why? Because that's the way the scripts are written.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Brock

The american pickers were just in my town last week.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:

I was at the auction where that Joe Jackson was sold.
It was a cut signature.
I would not have bid on it due to my aversion to cuts that I have not cut up myself and because I was never sure if he could really sign.
Herman Darvick is now an expert with JSA.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-29-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Staged

Agreed-remeber it's TV. My brother in law occasionally films reality shows for his co. based out of Philly. The producers search the area for the right locale and then truck the items in for staging(Pickers, Storage Wars, etc.)....
Old 08-29-2012, 07:05 PM
De.rek Pul.atie

so the guy had it authenticated 18 years ago and didnt do reasearch on the value until now? Not sure about this whole story on the seller.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 PM

The story seems fakey on many levels (not mentioning the scripted lines). Including offering $13,000 for something where the offerer says he doesn't know whether or not it's real. Don't believe it.

As noted, the guy having had the book authenticated 18 years ago but not realizing a Joe Jackson signature is rare and valuable seems, shall we say, unlikely.

I like how he casually flips back and forth (and carries around town) with his bare hands a Joe Jackson signed book. Maybe they were using a Daniel Steele paperback as a prop in those scenes.

But it's when he swats the fly with the book and cleans the book in the dishwasher, that's when credibility is finally lost.

However, the autograph exert was pretty cute, so everything evens out.

Moral of the story: Only use cute authenticators.

Last edited by drc; 08-29-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Brock

I know all shows are staged, but was hoping at least a little part of American Pickers was real but guess not.

Last edited by yanks12025; 08-29-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesbb6 View Post
Agreed-remeber it's TV. My brother in law occasionally films reality shows for his co. based out of Philly. The producers search the area for the right locale and then truck the items in for staging(Pickers, Storage Wars, etc.)....
So when John Mackey signed autographs for the last 5-10 years of his life, his wife would have her hand on his and move it to form the letters because HE forgot how to look at his name and sign it and how to follow things. So by her moving his hand around, does it still make it a JOHN MACKEY autograph?

This is a man who goes around saying he is the ONLY person alive that can authenticate a shoeless joe jackson autograph and to have done it

http://walkersresearch.com/profilePa...100002364.html

How can this person be so wrong?

PSA, who the book was sent to says the autograph looks to be traced, and even erased and re-written...

HOW CAN A EXPERT miss this?

Not long ago, John Rezinkoff says a AL RUDDY is a AL PACINO on the same show, and now, his co-worker mistakes a Shoeless Joe?

Last edited by Ringking; 08-29-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: info
Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

I think Joe Jackson's autograph is common and not rare.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
So when John Mackey signed autographs for the last 5-10 years of his life, his wife would have her hand on his and move it to form the letters because HE forgot how to look at his name and sign it and how to follow things. So by her moving his hand around, does it still make it a JOHN MACKEY autograph?

This is a man who goes around saying he is the ONLY person alive that can authenticate a shoeless joe jackson autograph and to have done it

http://walkersresearch.com/profilePa...100002364.html

How can this person be so wrong?

PSA, who the book was sent to says the autograph looks to be traced, and even erased and re-written...

HOW CAN A EXPERT miss this?

Not long ago, John Rezinkoff says a AL RUDDY is a AL PACINO on the same show, and now, his co-worker mistakes a Shoeless Joe?

0 for 2 on pawn stars. but they are the WORLDS experts so there you have it.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Banned

To me, this is a case of someone getting their hands on a joe jackson signature, selling it and getting some press for it, and then thinking they are some sort of a joe jackson expert.

Darvick sold that first jackson signature at his own auction in very early 90's and leland's bought it. lelands flipped it almost instantly, ironically to the underbidder that lost out. the guy must have had second thoughts and really wanted it and made a trade with leland's and ended up with the jackson signature.

darvick must have then thought he is a jackson autograph expert now and a couple years later, authenticated this miracle.

I think he got cocky and someone brought a supposed jackson signature to the guy who first authenticated and sold jackson's sig believing he must be the go to guy on jackson and how could darvick say "no, i am not a jackson expert".

Of course he had to say yes to keep his jackson reputation intact, plus i believe that he believed he was a jackson expert to boot and that is courting and tempting fate and a recipe for a potential disaster.

remember, no one saw jackson sign it or not sign it and its people;s opinion.

but i find it interesting that the guy who used to be on staff at psa and is currently on staff at jsa is the second historical authenticator behind reznikoff, who is on staff at both, to go out of their specialty (pacino for reznikoff, and joe jackson for darvick) and authenticate something on the pawn stars show that people believe to be non-authentic. The pacino we know for a fact wasnt a pacino.

only to have psa itself call that jackson no good.

there are thousands of psa certs out there with darvicks name on the bottom and reznikoffs too. so are these guys good at what they do, or not?

everyone knows my answer to that.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-29-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I know all shows are staged, but was hoping at least a little part of American Pickers was real but guess not.
Several years ago I talked at length with an older gentleman at an auction . He was on American Pickers in one of the earlier episodes. If any of you remember seeing the show he was the guy that had the general store and White Castle restaurant in his side yard. The pickers arrived at his place unannounced as they were given a tip from one of the locals that he might have some stuff for sale. The guy told me that the only thing that was staged was when he answered the front door because the first time that they knocked his wife answered. Other than that he said it was like the cameras weren't even there. He said that nothing at all was scripted. He regretted not selling more stuff but said they were great guys.

My family and I also visited their shop in Leclaire Iowa several years ago and talked to the girl that was working that day. Unfortunately it was Danielle's day off but this girl was just as nice. She said that when they're picking the cameras are always rolling but nothing is staged and the guys are just like they are on the show in real life.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:10 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesbb6 View Post
Agreed-remeber it's TV. My brother in law occasionally films reality shows for his co. based out of Philly.
Does that include "Sunny"?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
The story seems fakey on many levels (not mentioning the scripted lines). Including offering $13,000 for something where the offerer says he doesn't know whether or not it's real. Don't believe it.

As noted, the guy having had the book authenticated 18 years ago but not realizing a Joe Jackson signature is rare and valuable seems, shall we say, unlikely.

I like how he casually flips back and forth (and carries around town) with his bare hands a Joe Jackson signed book.
+1 My thoughts exactly - when Rebecca told him it was fake, he should have been crapping his pants, but he's just not that good of an actor. Now the show will have more appeal because there's bigger risk involved. Before, it was high-wire with a safety net - now they've given the illusion that the safety net is gone.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:39 AM

Did I miss something here. Has there been talk of the "E" in Joe being erased and re-drawn? If so, I apologize I missed that. I sure didn't see it in the images sent to me of the book, does not appear to have been erased or anything of that nature. Again, I'm not saying it's a legitimate Joe Jackson signature (one actually signed by him), what I am saying is that the autograph is close enough to Joe's signature late in his life that I would at least have it forensically tested if I owned the book. No disrespect, but Rick's so called "book expert" used a signed baseball as her bell weather of all things Joe Jackson signed. If anyone here has tried to sign a baseball, it's a difficult proposition at best, let alone for someone who can't read or write. Sure it was shakey compared to the one of the book....two things in play here, one, Joe signed the ball early in his life and on a round surface to boot, two the book was signed on a flat surface, later in life after Jackson would have had more practice signing things. The ball was most likely signed in the presence of other players and Joe would have rushed that. The book on the other hand was probably signed at home with Katie's help. From the dozen or so folks that I have had conversations with over the years about asking Joe for an autograph, he always told them to leave the item with him (saying he was too busy to sign at the moment) and to come back tomorrow and pick the item up. Most of these things (mostly balls) where autographed at home by Katie that night and Joe took them back to the liquor store the next day for the person to pick up. The book being a flat item and depending on who it was for, Joe may have signed the item himself if it was for a close friend or as a favor to a friend...who knows....I'm making up scenarios here, but you get my drift, there is enough reasonable doubt in my mind and from what I am seeing in the images I have been sent....that if I owned the book.....I'd be forensically testing it to rule out that part of it. For me, this book is just another mystery about Joe Jackson that we will probably never know the truth about. But it's fun trying to figure it out.

Mike
Official Historian
Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Did I miss something here. Has there been talk of the "E" in Joe being erased and re-drawn? If so, I apologize I missed that. I sure didn't see it in the images sent to me of the book, does not appear to have been erased or anything of that nature. Again, I'm not saying it's a legitimate Joe Jackson signature (one actually signed by him), what I am saying is that the autograph is close enough to Joe's signature late in his life that I would at least have it forensically tested if I owned the book. No disrespect, but Rick's so called "book expert" used a signed baseball as her bell weather of all things Joe Jackson signed. If anyone here has tried to sign a baseball, it's a difficult proposition at best, let alone for someone who can't read or write. Sure it was shakey compared to the one of the book....two things in play here, one, Joe signed the ball early in his life and on a round surface to boot, two the book was signed on a flat surface, later in life after Jackson would have had more practice signing things. The ball was most likely signed in the presence of other players and Joe would have rushed that. The book on the other hand was probably signed at home with Katie's help. From the dozen or so folks that I have had conversations with over the years about asking Joe for an autograph, he always told them to leave the item with him (saying he was too busy to sign at the moment) and to come back tomorrow and pick the item up. Most of these things (mostly balls) where autographed at home by Katie that night and Joe took them back to the liquor store the next day for the person to pick up. The book being a flat item and depending on who it was for, Joe may have signed the item himself if it was for a close friend or as a favor to a friend...who knows....I'm making up scenarios here, but you get my drift, there is enough reasonable doubt in my mind and from what I am seeing in the images I have been sent....that if I owned the book.....I'd be forensically testing it to rule out that part of it. For me, this book is just another mystery about Joe Jackson that we will probably never know the truth about. But it's fun trying to figure it out.

Mike
Official Historian
Even if you got it tested forensically, my understanding is that the forgers used period ink on higher end items. So the ink would match up...correct?

Jeff
Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Did I miss something here. Has there been talk of the "E" in Joe being erased and re-drawn? If so, I apologize I missed that.
Mike
Official Historian

It came up when they were reading the letter from PSA/DNA on the episode.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Discussing why certain things do or don't happen on Pawn Stars is like debating why Norm always sat at the end of the bar on Cheers or why Richie couldn't get a date for the prom on Happy Days.

Why? Because that's the way the scripts are written.
Cheers was the first smoke-free bar, 20 years before it became the law. What a joke.

Also why was a grown man like Fonz always hanging out in the men's room with teenage schoolboys? If that was today there'd be rumours galore about what was going on in there, and probably a sting operation.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Part of it is real. They really do go freestyle. They just spend a few hours reshooting the chance meeting after they dig around. I don't work on that show but I've seen raw takes.

Edit: I noticed Dell Webb already answered this. You can't say the same thing about the pawn stars though

Last edited by Matthew H; 09-01-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM

"It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milkbone underwear" -- Norm
Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Bill Panagopulos

My take on "Porn Stars":

Know a rather sleazy dealer who went on the show with a rare Black civil rights figure's letter. Pre-taping, they took the letter from him, gave it to a shill who walked in with it, he authenticated it and valued it, and (I presume), they bought it. I got this right from the (jackass's) mouth.

My opinion: whole damn show is a rigged set-up, from the retreads who walk in, to the experts, to the deals negotiated. The show's worth millions so why take chances? BTW - love the old man, who know's it's all BS. Hate the lead guy, who's bogus laugh makes me wretch.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexautographs View Post
My take on "Porn Stars":

Know a rather sleazy dealer who went on the show with a rare Black civil rights figure's letter. Pre-taping, they took the letter from him, gave it to a shill who walked in with it, he authenticated it and valued it, and (I presume), they bought it. I got this right from the (jackass's) mouth.

My opinion: whole damn show is a rigged set-up, from the retreads who walk in, to the experts, to the deals negotiated. The show's worth millions so why take chances? BTW - love the old man, who know's it's all BS. Hate the lead guy, who's bogus laugh makes me wretch.
Then don't watch it. I know some of it, maybe a lot, is staged, but I LOVE THE SHOW am very entertained by it. I do love the Old man too, but honestly, why wretch if you can avoid it?

Scott Roberts
Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Then don't watch it. I know some of it, maybe a lot, is staged, but I LOVE THE SHOW am very entertained by it. I do love the Old man too, but honestly, why wretch if you can avoid it?

Scott Roberts
Slight tangeant, but the g.f. moved a t.v. in to my place two years ago, after ten years without. I very reluctantly agreed to this. I started off just watching sports, then every now and then watching something else, mostly out of boredom or morbid curiosity (Swamp People, Pawn Stars, Pickers, etc.).

The only way to avoid seeing this stuff is to get rid of your television. Almost ANY book is better. You are completely right - "why wretch if you can avoid it."
Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Jim M.arinari

I watch strictly for the 'boob shots'. I believe the editor caught hell last year, but they're back this year!

Last edited by Deertick; 09-03-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
I watch strictly for the 'boob shots'. I believe the editor caught hell last year, but they're back this year!
Anyone that would take an item to a Pawn Shop looking for anything more than some fast cash is a "boob" so you plenty of "boob shots"....
Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 PM
bi11h00d

f.w.i.w. Looks like the Joe Jackson episode is going to show again tonight at 7:00pm central time (DirecTV ch 269).
Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Bill Panagopulos

The PERFECT reality show:

Guy owns a pawn shop with storage units in back that he repossesses every week. His house, next to an alligator-infested swamp in Wachascratchin, Louisiana, is infested with bees and raccoons, but they have a redneck exterminator at their service. The house is being redecorated for free by a gay, drag-queen small-town sheriff and his crazy wife who spend their weekends towing cars and chasing bail jumpers. The home-owner's daughter is an eight year old pageant queen who moonlights as a logger and their son, who is a hoarder, is a crabber in Alaska.

And no, I don't watch Porn Stars. There's too much other great TV to watch. See above.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM
octavio ranzola

the guys laugh makes me ill,,it sounds real phony. i like american pickers great t.v.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
The PERFECT reality show:

Guy owns a pawn shop with storage units in back that he repossesses every week. His house, next to an alligator-infested swamp in Wachascratchin, Louisiana, is infested with bees and raccoons, but they have a redneck exterminator at their service. The house is being redecorated for free by a gay, drag-queen small-town sheriff and his crazy wife who spend their weekends towing cars and chasing bail jumpers. The home-owner's daughter is an eight year old pageant queen who moonlights as a logger and their son, who is a hoarder, is a crabber in Alaska.

And no, I don't watch Porn Stars. There's too much other great TV to watch. See above.
What, nobody in the family drives a truck across the Arctic in winter?
JimB
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default maybe this should go in the card section ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Leaf-Po...item3a767ee510

Debating between going for this or a Goudy Ruth in Authentic condition....decisions decisions

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 09-03-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM

Default Joe Jackson's signature is authentic

Quote:
I just heard about the goof on pawn stars last night. There was a book that a guy had for sale that was signed by Shoeless Joe Jackson. It had a COA from Herman Darvick. Herman is a person that sold something signed by shoeless joe for 23 grand a few years ago. Long story short...the book was a fake and the Pawn Stars are out 13 GRAND on the item. To make matters worse, they sent the book to PSA/DNA and it came back with a rejection letter saying that the book showed signs of being traced. How can such a self appointed expert make such a huge mistake??? And he works for PSA??? What about other items with his COA now?
First of all, my opinion in 1994, and now, is that the Joe Jackson signature is authentic. The "Shoeless Joe Jackson" written on the lower portion of the page was written by the collector to identify who signed it. It was not signed by Mrs. Jackson. It is not in her handwriting and when she signed her husband's name she would sign "Joe Jackson," no "Shoeless." And why didn't Rick call me? I always have my contact info on my COAs. Why didn't he contact an autograph expert? And why not before he pays the guy $13,000? He's contacted his autograph experts for much, much less value. He said he didn't want to lose this guy. He didn't even ask him if he could verify the authenticity of the signature,. He did, however, say that he relied on my COA. Thanks you for that, Rick. But then he goes to Rebecca his book expert at Bauman's Books and asks her about the authenticity of the Joe Jackson autograph. By the way, I have been asked for my opinion about the authenticity of autographs in books numerous times by Bauman Books (not the Las Vegas branch, the main store). Also: You should know by now, that Mike Frost is a habitual liar. I have known him for over 20 years. I did not renew my three year contract with PSA/DNA 3 1/2 years ago, in February 2009, because of exactly what happened here. There were too many mistakes on letters from PSA/DNA with my signature among the authenticators' signatures on the bottom, and that included letters where they said the autograph passed certification. They don't even say who decided it hadn't passed certification. It's one of the group of about 10 names. I no longer wanted to be associated with PSA/DNA and asked that my name not be used on PSA/DNA letters immediately. The Joe Jackson cut signature I sold in 1990 for $23,100 at my public auction was removed from a legal document he signed in the 1930s. It was purchased by Leland's who promptly traded it to Barry Halper. In the signed book, why was the "e" erased and rewritten? Because Joe didn't like the "e" he had signed, erased it, and signed it again. A forger would have to be real dumb to erase a letter and rewrite it. Why was the pressure heavy? Because he hardly ever used a pen and wanted to make sure his signature looked good. I suggest you look at other comments on the authenticity of the Joe Jackson signed book on this site, especially the one on Page 1 from the Shoeless Joe Jackson Virtual Hall of Fame Web Site. Look at the signature on that website as well and compare it to the one in the book. His 1951 signature on his will is here: http://www.blackbetsy.com/jacksonWill.html If you'd like to contact me, my email address is hdarvick@yahoo.com

Last edited by Herman Darvick; 09-03-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Default Mrs. Jackson NEVER signed "Shoeess Joe Jackson"

Quote:
In that scenario, why would the 'e' in Joe have been erased and redrawn? Why would it be smooth flowing, relative to known sigs? Why would he sign a BOOK (that was already signed by his wife on his behalf), when he was so apprehensive to sign his MORTGAGE and WILL?
The book was not signed by his wife. The collector wrote "Shoeless Joe Jackson" to identify who signed it. When she signed her husband's autograph, she would sign "Joe Jackson," never adding "Shoeless." Besides, it is just not her handwriting. Jackson wanted his autograph to look good. That's why he practiced before he signed his will. He evidently screwed up on the "e" so he erased it and rewrote it. Do you really think a forger would be so dumb that he would erase a letter and rewrite it? hdarvick@yahoo.com
Old 09-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Darvick View Post
First of all, my opinion in 1994, and now, is that the Joe Jackson signature is authentic. The "Shoeless Joe Jackson" written on the lower portion of the page was written by the collector to identify who signed it. It was not signed by Mrs. Jackson. It is not in her handwriting and when she signed her husband's name she would sign "Joe Jackson," no "Shoeless." And why didn't Rick call me? I always have my contact info on my COAs. Why didn't he contact an autograph expert? And why not before he pays the guy $13,000? He's contacted his autograph experts for much, much less value. He said he didn't want to lose this guy. He didn't even ask him if he could verify the authenticity of the signature,. He did, however, say that he relied on my COA. Thanks you for that, Rick. But then he goes to Rebecca his book expert at Bauman's Books and asks her about the authenticity of the Joe Jackson autograph. By the way, I have been asked for my opinion about the authenticity of autographs in books numerous times by Bauman Books (not the Las Vegas branch, the main store). Also: You should know by now, that Mike Frost is a habitual liar. I have known him for over 20 years. I did not renew my three year contract with PSA/DNA 3 1/2 years ago, in February 2009, because of exactly what happened here. There were too many mistakes on letters from PSA/DNA with my signature among the authenticators' signatures on the bottom, and that included letters where they said the autograph passed certification. They don't even say who decided it hadn't passed certification. It's one of the group of about 10 names. I no longer wanted to be associated with PSA/DNA and asked that my name not be used on PSA/DNA letters immediately. The Joe Jackson cut signature I sold in 1990 for $23,100 at my public auction was removed from a legal document he signed in the 1930s. It was purchased by Leland's who promptly traded it to Barry Halper. In the signed book, why was the "e" erased and rewritten? Because Joe didn't like the "e" he had signed, erased it, and signed it again. A forger would have to be real dumb to erase a letter and rewrite it. Why was the pressure heavy? Because he hardly ever used a pen and wanted to make sure his signature looked good. I suggest you look at other comments on the authenticity of the Joe Jackson signed book on this site, especially the one on Page 1 from the Shoeless Joe Jackson Virtual Hall of Fame Web Site. Look at the signatures on that website as well and compare it to the one in the book. His 1951 signature on will is here: http://www.blackbetsy.com/jacksonWill.html If you'd like to contact me, my email address is hdarvick@yahoo.com
Herman, Thanks for responding. It is a rare opportunity for insight into an authentication.

I think we all agree, that on any purchase of such magnitude greater diligence is required. Rick, should have at least called you, googled you, (asked a guy on the street, for god's sake) rather than just saying "I never heard of this guy."

I have a question for you on your authentication of this item. how much did the story of who, why, and how this was signed weigh on your decision? I ask this in reference to the erasure, and as importantly, the Shoeless inscription.

Under what circumstances do you feel someone would feel the need to clarify a plainly obvious signature, especially on a book referencing that individual? As far as the erasure, are there other examples of such behavior? This would have had to have been witnessed, noted, and related to someone in order for it to be considered with great weight, would it not? From whom did you receive these bits of info?

I ask these as common sense (to me) issues that I would have asked the authenticator if I were in the position to purchase such a rare artifact.

Jim Marinari

PS. The intelligence or lack therof of forgers can be easily debated in another thread. I have seen a Gehrig signed in sharpie.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Mike
Official Historian
Mike, I assumed the "e" was erased and gone over because that's what PSA/DNA said. I do not remember any erasures when I authenticated the signature 18 1/2 years ago, but it was 18 1/2 years ago. In any event, I agree with you wholeheartedly that it should be brought to an autograph expert, especially one who has access to a Video Spectral Comparator used by handwriting experts to determine authenticity. --- Herman hdarvick@yahoo.com

Last edited by Herman Darvick; 09-03-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 PM

Default Authentication

Quote:
Herman, Thanks for responding. It is a rare opportunity for insight into an authentication.

I think we all agree, that on any purchase of such magnitude greater diligence is required. Rick, should have at least called you, googled you, (asked a guy on the street, for god's sake) rather than just saying "I never heard of this guy."

I have a question for you on your authentication of this item. how much did the story of who, why, and how this was signed weigh on your decision? I ask this in reference to the erasure, and as importantly, the Shoeless inscription.

Under what circumstances do you feel someone would feel the need to clarify a plainly obvious signature, especially on a book referencing that individual? As far as the erasure, are there other examples of such behavior? This would have had to have been witnessed, noted, and related to someone in order for it to be considered with great weight, would it not? From whom did you receive these bits of info?

I ask these as common sense (to me) issues that I would have asked the authenticator if I were in the position to purchase such a rare artifact.

Jim Marinari

PS. The intelligence or lack therof of forgers can be easily debated in another thread. I have seen a Gehrig signed in sharpie.

Jim, I listen to the stories but it doesn't carry any weight if I do not think the signature is authentic. If I think it may be real, the story might help. It would tell me where and when it was signed. I don't remember the story behind the book signing - it was 18 1/2 years ago. Here's an interesting experience I had about 6 or 7 years ago. I was working for an auction house as a writer and was given a Marilyn Monroe Productions check signed in New York in February 1954 (I forget the exact date) to catalogue. The signature looked good and it had passed certification that day by one of the major authenticators who was there that day certifying items in the auction. I'm pretty good at remembering dates. I knew that Marilyn Monroe had married Joe DiMaggio in January 1954. It didn't take long for me to discover that on the date of that check, Marilyn Monroe was in Japan on her honeymoon. Well, maybe she signed a bunch of checks before they left for Japan? Impossible, since Marilyn Monroe Productions was formed on January 1, 1955 (some books say December 31, 1954). My guess is that someone got some blank checks from her estate or her lawyer's estate, and forged Monroe's signature. There was even a light "bank" stamping on verso. It no longer mattered that the signature looked good. The date was the forger's downfall. I'm bringing this up for two reasons. 1. A lot of things go into authenticating, not just familiarity with a signature or handwriting, and 2. just because a major authenticating company passes or fails to pass certification, doesn't mean they're right. My advice is to buy from a reputable autograph dealer who stands by the authenticity of what he/she is selling. If there is ever any problem, the dealer will refund your money. If you buy from a dealer who has a third party COA, that dealer must still refund your money if there is a problem with authenticity. Third Party Authenticators do not issue refunds when their opinion proves to be wrong. Hope I've been helpful. --- Herman hdarvick@yahoo.com
Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
BTW - love the old man, who know's it's all BS.
You might be interested in buying one of the "Old Man" commemorative coins - actually, not coins but silver rounds - they're selling at the store.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Darvick View Post
Jim, I listen to the stories but it doesn't carry any weight if I do not think the signature is authentic. If I think it may be real, the story might help. It would tell me where and when it was signed. I don't remember the story behind the book signing - it was 18 1/2 years ago. Here's an interesting experience I had about 6 or 7 years ago. I was working for an auction house as a writer and was given a Marilyn Monroe Productions check signed in New York in February 1954 (I forget the exact date) to catalogue. The signature looked good and it had passed certification that day by one of the major authenticators who was there that day certifying items in the auction. I'm pretty good at remembering dates. I knew that Marilyn Monroe had married Joe DiMaggio in January 1954. It didn't take long for me to discover that on the date of that check, Marilyn Monroe was in Japan on her honeymoon. Well, maybe she signed a bunch of checks before they left for Japan? Impossible, since Marilyn Monroe Productions was formed on January 1, 1955 (some books say December 31, 1954). My guess is that someone got some blank checks from her estate or her lawyer's estate, and forged Monroe's signature. There was even a light "bank" stamping on verso. It no longer mattered that the signature looked good. The date was the forger's downfall. I'm bringing this up for two reasons. 1. A lot of things go into authenticating, not just familiarity with a signature or handwriting, and 2. just because a major authenticating company passes or fails to pass certification, doesn't mean they're right. My advice is to buy from a reputable autograph dealer who stands by the authenticity of what he/she is selling. If there is ever any problem, the dealer will refund your money. If you buy from a dealer who has a third party COA, that dealer must still refund your money if there is a problem with authenticity. Third Party Authenticators do not issue refunds when their opinion proves to be wrong. Hope I've been helpful. --- Herman hdarvick@yahoo.com
Thanks a million for chiming in on the subject Herman. Yes, it was 18 1/2 years ago and I'm sure much has changed as well? I respect any man that stands behind his work and speaks freely about it on an open forum.

What your saying then, is that your opinion hasn't changed on the item in 18 1/2 years and I can appreciate that. This was authenticated before PSA & JSA so my question is this.....Are you still authenticating for either company and if you were, why did they not pass the item or did they come back to you for your opinion? Or, was it just they didn't want to go out on a limb on the item?

It's very refreshing to have you clear up what you remember 18 years ago. Even if it meant you changing your mind, I would have no problem with that either, due to the advancing technologies and information that may have been gathered since then.

IMHO, anyone to spend actual $$$$$money on an item like this in any setting needs his head examined. Thanks again.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 09-04-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Banned

everybody,

well, darvick works for jsa, so go buy it from rick for the 13,000 (he will be glad just to get his money back), and then send it to JSA for the cert as I am sure that Mr. Darvick's boss Mr. Spence will see it his way, then you have a very expensive autograph for only 13,000 dollars.

I love it how he says he quit psa due to the amount of mistakes they were making and then he joins who....jsa?

talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire. Reznikoff and Eaton work for both, wonder how that works? Can I work for pepsi and coke as a consultant at the same time?

Last edited by travrosty; 09-04-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Bill Panagopulos

Herman, much as you know I love and respect your talents, and regardless of whether the Jackson is "right" or "wrong", Travis is in a way correct. If we're going to have an impartial discussion, all the connections between owners, authenticators, employers, employees, consignors, and auctioneers should be known.

And I'll be the first to say I wouldn't know Joe Jackson from Joe Blow.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
everybody,

well, darvick works for jsa, so go buy it from rick for the 13,000 (he will be glad just to get his money back), and then send it to JSA for the cert as I am sure that Mr. Darvick's boss Mr. Spence will see it his way, then you have a very expensive autograph for only 13,000 dollars.

I love it how he says he quit psa due to the amount of mistakes they were making and then he joins who....jsa?

talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire. Reznikoff and Eaton work for both, wonder how that works? Can I work for pepsi and coke as a consultant at the same time?
great scenario Travis, in a sickening kind of way

As far as the Coke & Pepsi analogy, consider this....
I am a consultant for 4 of the largest "personal care" manufacturers in the city. 3 of the 4 actually share property lines. they hate each other, fight over clients, fight over space, basically, fight over everything. I manage to keep them separate and do the best I can for each individual client. It helps keep their prices low, and enables me to service the crap out of them. That's why they turn to me as their expert, I think? It just occurred to me that I'm an "expert" at something

As far as PSA & JSA..... I really don't want my Company to have any other similarities.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 09-04-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Banned

Herman has access to the Reznikoff amazing techni-color dreamcoat machine otherwise known as a spectral comparator, maybe when Reznikoff is not busy running the Harry Truman ball through it, they could give this Joe Jackson signature a whirl.

I always imagine what someone who double dips with these companies would say if a friend asked them which company they should use. if i were psa, I would be mad if they suggested jsa to them, and vice versa.

Maybe that's why psa and jsa agree so much, if a george washington autograph is submitted to psa and gets reznikoff approved, then sending it to jsa for a second, independent opinion isn't going to do any good if the guy is reznikoff again.

And I don't understand how anyone who owns or works in a prominent position in an auction house like Eaton at RR or Gutierrez at Heritage should be able to be on an authentication team. It's like 2 wolves and a sheep voting to see what they should have for dinner!