NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Jimmy

Default Babe Ruth's 1927 WS Ring

I'm sure most of you are well aware of Charlie Sheen's recent 'tirade'...
To make things short, he registered a twitter account yesterday and started posting random pics including this one I thought would appeal to baseball ring and Yankees collectors ( I'm not one btw )

Charlie's wearing a 1927 Babe Ruth ring and what I suppose is a pretty expensive watch...

http://twitpic.com/458bdr/full

Old 03-02-2011, 10:00 AM

When he flew in all those all players to hang out with him (Zeile, E. Murray, etc.), they watched Major League and he allowed all the players to pass it around and wear the ring, it was reported. I know some of his collection was sold through Lelands over the years, I wonder how much of it he still has left and when he soon perishes, where it will end up. :-)

DanC
Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Barry Sloate

"when he soon perishes..."

Dan- I was kind of thinking the same thing myself. Very sad situation.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Will
Banned

How can you not love this guy? If that's Ruth's actual '27 WS ring I think I've fallen in man love with Sheen. What a legend.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Miller Huggins, a Hall of famer and teammate, had the same ring and it sold in Mastro Auctions in 2007. With the juice, the ring sold for $170,000.00.

I had not heard of Ruth's ring in the hobby. I can't imagine what that would sell for.

The watch looks like a Patek Phillippe triple date? I think they sell new for around $50,000 in solid gold.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquire View Post
How can you not love this guy? If that's Ruth's actual '27 WS ring I think I've fallen in man love with Sheen. What a legend.
Drug abusing, obnoxious, wallowing in self denial, wallowing in self pity, got suckered in an autograph scam, treats women like dirt,,,
just a few reasons not to love him.
George Clooney, when he is not making movies, tries to actually save peoples lives.
Charlie Sheen, when he is not involved in his screen life, is destroying lives, including his own.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-02-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:55 AM

I was thinking the same thing. I bet that watch is worth more than the one I got at Rite Aid.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Will
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Drug abusing, obnoxious, wallowing in self denial, wallowing in self pity, got suckered in an autograph scam, treats women like dirt,,,
just a few reasons not to love him.
George Clooney, when he is not making movies, tries to actually save peoples lives.
Charlie Sheen, when he is not involved in his screen life, is destroying lives, including his own.
I'll go ahead and disagree with you on this. Fact of the matter is you have absolutely no clue how he treats people or what's in his heart. Your arbitrary and sanctimonious judgment of Sheen is both ignorant and embarassing.

I'd like to know more about this autograph scam though.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Barry Sloate

Sheen was being paid something like $1.2 million an episode, which works out to around $20-30 million a year. So a fancy watch or a Babe Ruth ring are just meaningless trinkets that he can buy on a whim.

He is very destructive to both himself and to others. They took his kids away from him and he admits he doesn't even know where they are. Not somebody to look up to. He is very sick and delusional.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Will
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Sheen was being paid something like $1.2 million an episode, which works out to around $20-30 million a year. So a fancy watch or a Babe Ruth ring are just meaningless trinkets that he can buy on a whim.

He is very destructive to both himself and to others. They took his kids away from him and he admits he doesn't even know where they are. Not somebody to look up to. He is very sick and delusional.
More ignorant information. All four of his kids were at his home as of this week. Only reason I know this is that they showed them in one of the interviews recently.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Barry Sloate

If it's ignorant information it's based on what I've heard. Unfortunately, Charlie and I don't hang out together so I can only get my information from secondary sources.

But what from what I've seen, read, and heard, nothing really positive is coming out of his camp. What have you heard that makes you feel all is well with him?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...e-Mueller.html
Old 03-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Will
Banned

Quote:
If it's ignorant information it's based on what I've heard. Unfortunately, Charlie and I don't hang out together so I can only get my information from secondary sources.

But what from what I've seen, read, and heard, nothing really positive is coming out of his camp. What have you heard that makes you feel all is well with him?
For starters, he's submitted to multiple drug tests by major news orginizations and they've all come back negative. Secondly, he's currently a single male with a lot of money. When it comes to women I would say he's free to do what he wants, with them and the cash, as long as they are willing participants.

The guy is pulling off one of the greatest PR stunts in entertainment history. His ex-wives would not be exposing their children to this guy if they felt he was a potential danger.

The guy loves baseball and memorabilia so we should cut him a little slack.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Will
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmeltz View Post
The Daily Mail.

Long live Sheen.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Barry Sloate

We should cut him slack because he collects baseball memorabilia? What does that mean?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Scott

Anyone who "Loves" someone who is a freaking mess like this guy has his own issues most likely.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
R.L. Americana, LLC

Default Back to the ring

Interesting note: the 1927 Yankees Babe Ruth ring came from Barry Halper who got it directly from Mrs. Ruth or another member of the Ruth family. He sold (or traded) it in the 1990s.

Last edited by Robert_Lifson; 03-04-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added "or another member of the Ruth family"
Old 03-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Will
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Anyone who "Loves" someone who is a freaking mess like this guy has his own issues most likely.
You're obviously living in an all glass house.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Will
Banned

Quote:
We should cut him slack because he collects baseball memorabilia? What does that mean?
Yes. It means exactly what it says.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Richard Simon

I think I am too ignorant to discuss the scam that Sheen was victimized by.
Let us just say it was for a lot of bucks and they saw him coming from a mile away.
And as far as his kids,,, on The Today Show this am, he openly talked about them being taken away by the police.
And I don't believe his wife has a say in the matter of him having shared custody of them. And The Today Show did report that his wife is now filing for sole custody.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-02-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Barry Sloate

Well I guess Bill is a fan. That's fine with me.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Will
Banned

Quote:
I think I am too ignorant to discuss the scam that Sheen was victimized by.
Let us just say it was for a lot of bucks and they saw him coming from a mile away.
And as far as his kids,,, on The Today Show this am, he openly talked about them being taken away by the police.
And I don't believe his wife has a say in the matter of him having shared custody of them. And The Today Show did report that his wife is now filing for sole custody.
You win some, you lose some. I have no clue what was or is in his collection, but if that Ruth ring is any indication, there must be some primo stuff. It's tough to believe the great Sheen was taken in by a scam but shit happens.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Richard Simon

The great Sheen ??
The guys who took him are still laughing about it and enjoying his money, although the main perpetrator could be in China by now. His whereabouts are unknown, though he was very "popular" for a while.
And if Halper can get taken then why can't Sheen?
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-02-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquire View Post
You win some, you lose some.
Charlie keeps saying that he's WINNING... but I'm not sure about it.

I think he's in for a doozy!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Charlie's condition

Anyone that has any experience with bipolar manic depression can see through Charlie in less than a minute. I feel sorry for him. He is delusional. My brother passed away last year, the month of his 50th birthday. He had similar traits as Charlie and was diagnosed as a bipolar manic depressive person. Charlie needs in house therapy in a bad way. (that means in a hospital, every day...for quite some time). It is very sad to watch. Anyone that doesn't think so is either delusional or doesn't understand the illness, imho.

Last edited by Leon; 03-02-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Dave

I would never aspire to be like him, but I try not to judge. He is what he is.

He looks like a heart attack or cardiac arrest waiting to happen.

Even when he's not on "drugs", I wouldn 't be surprised if he has enough legal substances in his system (caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, energy supplements, etc.) to drop an elephant.

The body can't withstand that forever.........even with Tiger blood coursing through ones veins.

I will admit this whole circus has been a little bit entertaining to me on some sort of primitive level I'm not exactly proud of.

I do hope it ends soon though. Any media outlet that doesn't think they're just enabling him by covering this, is just as deluded as he is.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Apparently, old Charlie didn't watch Seinfeld... Costanza proved it, too much nook makes you dum.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Jeff

This is what the media has become, one trainwreck after another to ride to the end of the tracks, dump and get on the next one. As soon as everyone gets their piece of Charlie they'll find some other "story."

If he is truly drug free and still behaves like this then I think that lends to some creedence to what Leon mentioned.

I find it neither amusing nor entertaining be it a PR stunt or anything else. Get some help or shut up.

Nice watch though, very nice!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 03-02-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default it should be noted....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
This is what the media has become, one trainwreck after another to ride to the end of the tracks, dump and get on the next one. As soon as everyone gets their piece of Charlie they'll find some other "story."

If he is truly drug free and still behaves like this then I think that lends to some creedence to what Leon mentioned.

I find it neither amusing nor entertaining be it a PR stunt or anything else. Get some help or shut up.

Nice watch though, very nice!
If Charlie is a bipolar manic depressive then he probably has drugs for the condition. My brother had some serious physical issues from some dirt bike wrecks and had oxycodiene and delauted (sp?) that he was addicted to. Drugs and these conditions go hand in hand though, and from my experience are anything but exclusive of each other. (they can be but most often aren't)...again, this is all from my experience and I am not diagnosing anything in a definitive manner. Charlie acts like my brother used to act.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

unfortunately he thinks he's indestructible...but he might want to look at Keith Moon and John Bonham as two people that also thought the same thing.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings View Post
The watch looks like a Patek Phillippe triple date? I think they sell new for around $50,000 in solid gold.
That watch is actually a Patek 2438 or possibly a 2498 - vintage perpetual calendars. Both are extremely rare and would bring upwards of $500K in auction.

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 03-02-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

500K for a vintage Patek?

I rather have a Wagner card (I hear he had one of these too)
Old 03-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Will
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19cbb View Post
Charlie keeps saying that he's WINNING... but I'm not sure about it.

I think he's in for a doozy!
Oh, he's winning all right. Winning in every way, every day.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Marty K.

Default OC's

Oc`s as addicts call them are out of your system in 2 to 3 days ...so you can be tested once a week and "fool the system"...... that might very well be happening in Charlies case........ BAD Stuff....
Old 03-02-2011, 05:38 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings View Post
500K for a vintage Patek?

I rather have a Wagner card (I hear he had one of these too)
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...jectID=4700468

FWIW, I would prefer to have a Wagner also.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Barry Sloate

Bill- with each of your posts you are sounding more and more like Charlie Sheen himself.

Kevin- it's hard for me to conceive that a 500K wristwatch even exists. I mean, all it does is tell time. I bet neither Bill Gates or Warren Buffett would ever spend that much for a watch. That's just insane.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Dave

I'm sure watch collectors would think similarly about a baseball card.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Barry Sloate

I think similarly too. I think paying 500K for a baseball card is equally nuts...except if I happen to be selling it.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Will
Banned

Quote:
Bill- with each of your posts you are sounding more and more like Charlie Sheen himself.
That's an interesting observation Barry.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Charlie may very well not be on drugs...From a few experiences, the occasional sober addict will actually get to big for themselves. What happens is that the person will be too "proud" of their sobriety, and get the better than everyone else, I'm always right, type of mindset. Many times these people will become bored and do some very risky or crazy things, and they will justify it in their heads, that they can do anything they want as long as they stay sober. Often times the same mental disorder that causes this type of activity is also the same disorder that fueled their addiction to begin with. Charlie may very well be the most extreme case of this ever..

Considering there's alot of celebrities that act like this to begin with, I'm guessing Charlie's behavior has to do with BOTH, his celebrity and alleged sobriety as a result of some mental disorder. I think Leon is probably right in guessing that he's Bi-Polar.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Richard Simon

Rather than further respond to one particular poster in this thread I will just follow the first Mark Twain quote in my signature file.
The quote is not referring to all the posters on this thread, just one in particular.
I just know I would rather have spent one day with Mark Twain than a lifetime with Charlie Sheen.
Sheen's demons are way too much for me.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-02-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
I just know I would rather have spent one day with Mark Twain than a lifetime with Charlie Sheen.
Sheen's demons are way too much for me.
I agree, but for some reason, I think that one day hanging with Charlie would be one hell of a fun time though...
Old 03-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Barry Sloate

Is Bill Rowett Charlie Sheen?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I agree, but for some reason, I think that one day hanging with Charlie would be one hell of a fun time though...
Depends on what u consider fun...smoking 7 gram crack rocks, stroking your own ego, belittling women, etc.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
Depends on what u consider fun...smoking 7 gram crack rocks, stroking your own ego, belittling women, etc.
I'm not saying I'd participate all goings on. He can have all that crack to himself. But I'm pretty sure the quality, quantity and ease of the women would be pretty nice... I've got an addiction myself, can anyone guess what it is?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Will
Banned

Quote:
Is Bill Rowett Charlie Sheen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od9FkRvvnrg
Old 03-02-2011, 07:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or0Sg4QNu1w
Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
I'm not saying I'd participate all goings on. He can have all that crack to himself. But I'm pretty sure the quality, quantity and ease of the women would be pretty nice... I've got an addiction myself, can anyone guess what it is?
Sloppy seconds?
--
Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Yeah, having your kids removed from your home by Law Enforcement, belittling any female who gets within 20 feet of you, scaring many females who get within 20 feet of you, scaring the hell out of your family and friends,,, fun time ??? Not my definition.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-02-2011 at 07:44 PM.