NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Joe

Default 1935 Yale Plate Wedgewood?

Any information about this plate would be very helpful. I don't believe it's Vintage, but I could be wrong. Mixed team with Yale, Plankies? and 1935 on the shirts. Back is marked Wedgwood 5W32. 9 1/2" round.
Maybe thought's on a year and value? Plate has no chips or scratches and was probably never used. Thanks in advance. Joe

Last edited by 2dueces; 07-12-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Joe

Nobody have any ideas?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 PM
David McDonald

This photo of Coach Joe Wood (back row, left) and the Yale baseball team pre-dates your plate by a few years. Probably sheds no light on anything but here it is anyway.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Joe

David, I see that your team did have 1930 on one of the jersey's. I was wondering why 1935 would be mixed in with Yale jersey's. Looks like it wa a common practice. Is it possible the plate is period? Maybe I'll look for Wedgewood info to date it.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:00 AM
David McDonald

Joe, I am thinking that the players with 1930 (or 1935) on their uniforms are freshmen of the class of 1930 (or 1935) and that the others are veteran team members. Thereby the pictures could have been taken a few years previous. Maybe even 1932 which might correlate with the Wedgewood code 5W32. I was hoping that Coach Wood might be depicted on your plate but the picture is too hard for me to make out. I am swinging at anything here. On a completely different tack the Yale baseball team played a series of exhibition games with Waseda University in Japan in 1935. Maybe your plate commemorates that in some fashion. Any of your "Plankies" Japanese? Sorry there's plenty questions and no answers. Hope someone else can figure out what you've got.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:18 AM
Shawn England

Hi Joe,

Funny you bring this up... My mother acquired what I think is a complete set (20-30) of Wedgwood "UGA" plates of which I think are dated pretty early. They picture all of the important sites on campus (some no longer there) along with horse and buggy scenes etc. These came from my great grandmother in Texas and I am baffled as to why she would even have them???

Anyway I am in the early stages of researching them and I found the site listed below. Perhaps they can be of some help?

Good Luck!

http://www.collegeplates.com/
Old 07-13-2009, 06:12 AM
Joe

Thanks for everything so far guys. Just bought this camera and haven't worked out all the bugs for close ups yet. I'll got home after work and try to get better close ups of the players. The 5W32 for 1932 makes sense. One other thing, I mis spelled the makers name in my original post. It is Wedgwood without the E.

They had a line of Yale plates, but those were clearly marked Yale on the back. This has no such mark.

I'm thinking no company would make a modern reproduction of such an obscure subject? So I guess it could be period? After all, I haven't spotted Joe Jackson in the photo, yet that is.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:17 AM

Default Yale China 1935

Hi! I know the history of the plate depicting part of Yale baseball from the 1930's: At that time my grandparents owned a place called Kamp Kill Kare in the Adirondaks. They were big Yale supporters who loved baseball too. As part of the summer fun they generated, for a number of years they invited the Yale team to spend part of the summer at the camp. Many days after lunch they had baseball games between two teams comprising a mix of family members, Yale players, and local folks. The plate you have (I have others in the series) shows the Punkies' lineup on a given day back in the 30's. Besides being the team name, Punkies are horrible little midge-like insects that come out of the forest to plague all mortals who have the audacity to do stuff like try to play baseball in the wilderness.

Hope this helps!

Tony Garvan
Old 04-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Plate

Is the Wedgwood marked or incised?