NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-23-2021, 03:18 PM

Default Need help about this 1960's Cubs Patch

Im looking for some help in identifying whether or not this 1960's Cubs sleeve patch is actually from a MLB game used jersey. It definately has wear and has been washed many times as you can see by the fraying along the edges. I've attached some pics to show the dimensions of the patch. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5575.jpg (77.2 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5576.jpg (77.0 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5578.jpg (77.9 KB, 214 views)
Old 04-23-2021, 09:50 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Cubs Patch

Looks like the one on Ernie Banks' uniform here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Banks.jpg (80.6 KB, 198 views)
Old 04-24-2021, 08:48 AM

Default 1960's Cubs Patch

Fred, Thank you for your input, I do appreciate it. I have seen the Banks photo from 1969 before and this patch appears to be from the 69 era. I just dont know if its the correct size or not or if it would be considered possibly as game used?
Old 04-24-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Cubfan View Post
Fred, Thank you for your input, I do appreciate it. I have seen the Banks photo from 1969 before and this patch appears to be from the 69 era. I just dont know if its the correct size or not or if it would be considered possibly as game used?
Game used? Even if it's identical to what was worn, not sure you can say for certain it was actually attached to a jersey worn by a player or coach. If it shows evidence (and I can't tell from the photos) that it was stitched onto something, then that would certainly increase the likelihood. Also, I wonder if the Cubs minor league affiliates also wore those patches? It's very cool in any event.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:11 AM

Default 1960's Cubs patch

I totally agree that it would be difficult to say it came off of a game used jersey or not. I had bought this many many years ago and while doing some cleaning, found it. Its smaller than the reproduction Cooperstown Collection patches that are out there, but again, I dont know if those are the actual size they wore either? Thanks for your input as well.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:15 AM

But what is my instinct? The dimensions look to be pretty much what you'd expect for a jersey patch and it certainly looks right from the photos, so I think there's a very good chance it was once attached to a game jersey, though the minor league question remains. I have no idea if the Cubs minor league teams even had patches on their sleeves at the time. You could see if you can find someone who owns or is selling a Cubs gamer from that period and ask them for the dimensions for the patch. If so, I think most folks would pretty much consider this game worn, even if it can't be proven, if it does evidence some wear consistent with that purpose.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
Also, I wonder if the Cubs minor league affiliates also wore those patches?
Old 04-25-2021, 01:18 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

You'll never know its origin. It could have been on the sleeve of Ernie Banks, Fergie Jenkins, Billy Williams, Ken Holtzman, Glenn Beckert, Don Kessinger, Bill Hands, Rich Nye, Adolpho Philips or Ted Savage. (I tried to rank them in descending order of stardom, though I'm sure someone will take issue, haha).

Or it could have been an "extra" that never even got sewn to a sleeve. Without provenance, it will always remain a mystery. Regardless, I love pieces like this. The Cubs sleeve patch is one of the true mid-century classics, along with the Screaming Brave, St. Louis Brownie, Chief Wahoo and Mr. Red.

Yours looks to be authentic, but do keep in mind that knockoffs exist. Here is one such modern example that is pretty well executed. It would not be difficult to age this patch by exposing it to the elements and running it through the washer a few times....

https://www.sportsworldchicago.com/c...emblem-source/

Last edited by perezfan; 04-25-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:32 PM

Yep -- also possible it's a reproduction even if the measurements are correct. And given the photo Cliff provided above, it does seem that if original it could've been applied to a minor league or MLB jersey -- or both if the Cubs recycled jerseys down to the minors like many teams of the day did.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
It could have been on the sleeve of Ernie Banks, Fergie Jenkins, Billy Williams, Ken Holtzman, Glenn Beckert, Don Kessinger, Bill Hands, Rich Nye, Adolpho Philips or Ted Savage. (I tried to rank them in descending order of stardom, though I'm sure someone will take issue, haha).
I think you missed a certain third baseman .
Old 04-26-2021, 07:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I think you missed a certain third baseman .
Ah crap... it felt like I was missing a key one as I rushed to sneak in a post before running errands. After Banks, let's call it a 3-way tie between Santo, Jenkins and Billy Williams. Then let's insert Randy Hundley inbetween Kessinger and Bill Hands. Not that anyone gives a hoot!

Just for the sake of comparison, below is a pic of my only Cubs patch. This is Steve Hamilton's 1972 Cubs Home Jersey, and the patch looks pretty identical to the one posted by the OP. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cub Patch.jpg (77.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 04-30-2021, 08:27 AM

Default 1969 cubs patch

I really do appreciate all of the input on this patch. You all have very valid points, which is why this website is so valuable. I bought this so long ago that I just cant remember how it was described to me at the time, but it caught my eye back then and I had to have it for my collection. I know the Cubs changed the style of the Cubbie bear in the early 70's, like the last post shows, the ears were more softly curved rather than what I call the mickey mouse distinct shaped ears of the 68-69 period, which is what I have shown. As far as the minor league jerseys having this patch, all I know is that most of the major league jerseys got recycled to the minor league players, but not really sure what type, if any, alterations were made to them once they received them. I will continue trying to research for more info on this neat piece, and will also continue checking back here, and will post any findings that I can come up with. Thanks again guys for your input!!!!
Gary
Old 05-06-2021, 01:32 PM

I wanted to point out, as it seems to have been missed. The patch in the op does not match the one shown in the Banks photo. In the one in the Banks photo, the stitching is different. For a clue, look at the patter on the blue around the eye/face area. In the OP photo it just goes straight across, in the Banks photo, the stitching matches the curve of the shape.