NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Default Interesting Request: Documentation of Provenance in Your Collection for Article

I'm writing an article on provenance and collecting and need a few interesting pictures (I was told by the editor readers like pictures, which I fully understand).

So if anyone can provide a photo of something they own with an old receipt or letter of provenance or accompanying magazine particle about, I might include it in the article. I just need some examples of a piece of memorabilia with an example of documentation of its history or sale or sales tag or old provenance letter or old catalog listing or even original envelope with return address, whatever. Or just a photo of an old letter or provenance or receipt or whatever. Again, it's just to visually illustrate for the article.

I have one example of my own (old stamps on the back of an item demonstrating ownership), but figured one or two different examples would be good.

Plus, it will be a chance for you piece of memorabilia to appear in an article about provenance, and I'll give you credit by name if you wish. And, technically speaking, having your item pictured in a published article is considered an example of provenance.

Last edited by drcy; 04-03-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Belltown Vintage

Please keep a page open for me. I knew saving those old blank scrapbook pages would come in handy some day. Now I just need to find my lemon juice.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:44 AM

I've got a pair of Joe Sewell's cleats with letter from Joe Sewell as well as the box he used to send them to the previous owner with the address label filled out in Joe's hand. Does that count?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...6&postcount=25
Old 04-03-2014, 11:57 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The Sewell is a great example. I will use. If you want to be personally credited for the photos let me know. Some people like their names in print and some don't, so it's up to you.

Last edited by drcy; 04-03-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:03 PM

I haven't seen my name in print much...might as well take the credit. Would you like the larger versions emailed? I can certainly do that.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:13 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The photos are good enough. There's nothing errant with wanting credit. I'd like credit if I provided photos of my stuff for someone's article and most people like to see their names in print. I just know that in the past a few people have asked that they not be credited. So I ask.

As far as Scott's comments go, the article is about all angles and sides of provenance documentation, the positive aspects (of which there are many, including some that many sports collectors don't realize) and the limitations. It doesn't dismiss the possibility that someone like Scott can forge a letter of provenance for his Mother Teresa/Elvis Presley/Shemp Howard signed original vinyl copy of The White Album or Vatican gift shop sales receipt for his first edition copy of the Old Testament signed by the author. And, of course, the number of eBay fakes "discovered in grandmother's cabinet" has become a running joke in the vintage baseball card hobby.

Anyone who's seen the classic 1980s British historical sit com Blackadder may remember the scene where the Middle Ages Bishop of Canterberry and his assistants were talking about their sales of fake religious artifacts to the public. They had for sale Jesus' fingers (in boxes of five, several boxes for sale) and Joan of Arc's bra.

Duly note the article is largely about the importance of documenting provenance.

Last edited by drcy; 04-03-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I may be able to send you something to use. I have the competitor's number worn by a U.S. Olympic track and field athlete during the 1948 Olympics. He sent it to me, totally unsolicited, with a nice letter last year. I also have an original press photo of him wearing it in a race. I had posted about it in the autograph section last year.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-03-2014, 12:48 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

That sounds great, if you can get all three in one shot. In fact, the article specifically mentions how old photos of an item can be part of provenance documentation. You can email to cycleback@cycleback.com

Last edited by drcy; 04-03-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The photos are good enough. There's nothing errant with wanting credit. I'd like credit if I provided photos of my stuff for someone's article and most people like to see their names in print. I just know that in the past a few people have asked that they not be credited. So I ask.

As far as Scott's comments go, the article is about all angles and sides of provenance documentation, the positive aspects (of which there are many, including some that many sports collectors don't realize) and the limitations. It doesn't dismiss the possibility that someone like Scott can forge a letter of provenance for his Mother Teresa/Elvis Presley/Shemp Howard signed original vinyl copy of The White Album or Vatican gift shop sales receipt for his first edition copy of the Old Testament signed by the author. And, of course, the number of eBay fakes "discovered in grandmother's cabinet" has become a running joke in the vintage baseball card hobby.

Anyone who's seen the classic 1980s British historical sit com Blackadder may remember the scene where the Middle Ages Bishop of Canterberry and his assistants were talking about their sales of fake religious artifacts to the public. They had for sale Jesus' fingers (in boxes of five, several boxes for sale) and Joan of Arc's bra.

Duly note the article is largely about the importance of documenting provenance.
Your Vatican comment reminded me of my piece of the true Cross that has the original letter of provenance from the street vendor my ancestor bought it from in Constantinople. I suspect the letter might be fake, though.

Also, why do you keep making fun of my Bible? And it's the editor who signed it, not the author - big difference.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Your Vatican comment reminded me of my piece of the true Cross that has the original letter of provenance from the street vendor my ancestor bought it from in Constantinople. I suspect the letter might be fake, though.

Also, why do you keep making fun of my Bible? And it's the editor who signed it, not the author - big difference.
When I was at the Vatican they where trying to sell me a piece of the Yakama that Jesus wore, it had a coa from Peter.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:15 PM

Email sent.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Bill Boyd

David,
When will this article go to print.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Instead of the author signed first edition Bible, I nearly said an Anne Frank signed copy of Mein Kampf, but refrained.

For the record, I'm a fan of Anne Frank and her diary is my favorite non-fiction book, so you can refrain from your pc howls of protests. Sometimes a joke is just a joke. Besides I was clearly using outlandish examples. Everyone knows Shemp hated The White Album and would never sign it. He was a Doors guy.

I haven't written the article yet and don't know when it will go out. Maybe a week.

Last edited by drcy; 04-03-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Barry Arnold

Default shelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
When I was at the Vatican they where trying to sell me a piece of the Yakama that Jesus wore, it had a coa from Peter.
I've seen the word 'yarmulke' and even 'yamaka' and a few other variations but never 'yakama'. Perhaps a neologism?

all the best,
barry
Old 04-04-2014, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
LOL
Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM

the COA would come from Judas Mastro
Old 04-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Or perhaps COA from Drew Maximus, Pontus Pilate Signatures Authenticated aka P(P)SA or Judas Iscariot Signatures Authenticated aka J(I)SA

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

There are a lot of interesting aspects to provenance. I give hobby examples where revelation of the provenance has shown auction items to be fake or altered, and one where a collector's research into the history of an item he purchased online proved it authentic and substantially raised its resale vale. He wrote to the organization listed on the item and was in for a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by drcy; 04-04-2014 at 05:03 PM.