NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2022, 08:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Jim, I'm sure someone somewhere has a shelf of these uggo padfolios proudly displayed. Perhaps next to the Franklin Mint Liberace plate?

And for the next bit of overkill I am now seeing 'otter boxes' for slabs

Encase your card in a PSA coffin, wrap the sarcophagus in a sleeve, then put it in one of these cases. And then undoubtedly into a padded carrying case.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-14-2022, 08:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Better still, into a vault.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:28 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

I actually don't hate the concept on those "grade guard" cases. The colors are terrible but I don't hate the concept.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:02 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Better still, into a vault.
Okay, so I just got an email from Ebay saying:

You collect. We protect
Say hello to the eBay vault, our 31,000 square foot state-of-the-art secure facility.

Here's the link:
https://usg01.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0
Old 07-29-2022, 12:06 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

This mock up of a secured vault looks like the setting of a heist movie more than a card storage facility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 11.05.07.jpg (79.1 KB, 387 views)
Old 07-29-2022, 12:08 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Call me a skeptic, but I don't think that's what their vault actually looks like.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 07-29-2022, 12:08 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Call me a skeptic, but I don't think that's what their vault actually looks like.
Nah, I'm sure this is an actual photo and every single card is given a couple feet of wall space for display.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:14 PM
Dave

LOL, I'm going to send them all my PSA 6 Steve Sax rookies, and then ask for a screenshot of how they're stored in the "vault".

I expect to have approximately 80 Square foot of real estate in that baby.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:19 PM
Dave

Seriously, I read the terms to the Ebay vault thingy they put out a couple months ago...and I couldn't figure out a single upside to it, that others weren't doing better already.

I understand the purpose of a couple of the other "Vault" programs...but if Ebay is trying to compete with them, they're doing it very poorly.

They have to be resting their laurels on the fact they have such a large presence, that less informed collectors/sellers/buyers don't even know about their competition in that area.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 07-29-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:17 PM
David M.

Will you still have to pay the tax on your purchase if you put your cards into the Ebay vault? That was supposed to be an advantage of one of the other vault storage facilities, right? As long as your purchase was delivered to the address of the vault you could avoid being taxed.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:22 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Will you still have to pay the tax on your purchase if you put your cards into the Ebay vault? That was supposed to be an advantage of one of the other vault storage facilities, right? As long as your purchase was delivered to the address of the vault you could avoid being taxed.
I believe that was one of the only upsides If I remember correctly...but there was a bunch of other possible fees you could accrue, that the other fellas didn't have.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 07-29-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:14 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Jim, I'm sure someone somewhere has a shelf of these uggo padfolios proudly displayed. Perhaps next to the Franklin Mint Liberace plate?

And for the next bit of overkill I am now seeing 'otter boxes' for slabs

Encase your card in a PSA coffin, wrap the sarcophagus in a sleeve, then put it in one of these cases. And then undoubtedly into a padded carrying case.
I agree that these are utterly dumb.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:47 AM

The padfolio does seem to be a waste. Not sure what to do if those pile up over time.

I don't mind the extra wait time to receive the card. It's not really that time sensitive.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:14 AM
Jim Caravello

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
I agree that these are utterly dumb.
Hilarious - never seen those before...
Old 09-27-2022, 08:53 AM
P@trick R.omolo

I must be on everyone's block list but I'll try one more time has anyone whose cards are delivered to a PO box had a card go through the authenticity process?

I've had several that qualify but none of them went through the process. The most recent had nothing in the description that would eliminate it from having to be authenticated. I purchased it on Sept. 14 and received it shipped directly to me on Sept. 19. It should have went through the process it even said "Delivery: Estimated between Wed, Oct 12 and Mon, Oct. 17 includes shipping to and from authenticator".

Looking through the thread the only explanation I could find was the person that said an ebay rep. told them that it doesn't have to go through the process if it's shipped to a PO box.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:57 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I must be on everyone's block list but I'll try one more time has anyone whose cards are delivered to a PO box had a card go through the authenticity process?

I've had several that qualify but none of them went through the process. The most recent had nothing in the description that would eliminate it from having to be authenticated. I purchased it on Sept. 14 and received it shipped directly to me on Sept. 19. It should have went through the process it even said "Delivery: Estimated between Wed, Oct 12 and Mon, Oct. 17 includes shipping to and from authenticator".

Looking through the thread the only explanation I could find was the person that said an ebay rep. told them that it doesn't have to go through the process if it's shipped to a PO box.
I have a PO Box, but I simply don't buy $500+ cards on Ebay. I will respond if/when I do.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:16 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I have a PO Box, but I simply don't buy $500+ cards on Ebay. I will respond if/when I do.
I believe it's $250 for ungraded and $350 for graded Bobby.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:19 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Am I being to simplistic here, but if one purchased a raw card more than the threshold, wouldn't be simpler, unless you disliked the TPG'er, to send it to SGC and avoid the 'three card monty'.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:55 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:

I don’t use a PO Box but when the Authenticity Guarantee program first started the UPS guy told me that eBay required that the addressee sign for the card.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:17 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I feel if someone goes through the trouble to replicate the PSA lighthouse label and slab can EASILY replicate these eBay Authenticity Guarantee cases, stickers and QR codes.

I easily peeled the authentication sticker off without leaving the VOID logo.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:26 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Also worth pointing out is that it's not just the sale price that determines whether it goes out for authentication or not, but rather the listing price. So if they list a card at $300 BIN with a Make Offer option, and you offer $150, it will still be sent out for authentication. I just had this happen to me on a card that was listed at $499. I offered $85 and it was accepted. Then, it shipped off to CSG... then back to me.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:20 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
It's in their FAQ - cards sent to PO boxes are not part of FAQ authentication process:

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-...-tradingcards/
Old 09-28-2022, 07:26 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
It's in their FAQ - cards sent to PO boxes are not part of FAQ authentication process:

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-...-tradingcards/
Thanks Chris I only saw it posted here and I didn't see it in the ebay information but it makes no sense at all and it's going to be a big problem for some people eventually. All of the cards that I purchased that had the authenticity guarantee were fine but if they weren't it would have been a problem because all sales are final on them and they aren't covered by the ebay return policy except if it's damaged during shipping then you have 3 days to request a return. It won't be long before the scammers take advantage of this if they aren't already.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

So why didn't this go through ebay authentication?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27546639351...p2047675.l2557