NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Default Famous hobby fistfights

Posted By: Josh Evans

Chris Porter (reporting from the Hollywood Park Show last week) tells me there was a fist fight at the show

Okay, who can name any other famous hobby related fist fights
Punches must have been thrown and landed for it to count

Yes, this post is in bad taste
Josh

Old 02-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

Who was in the fight?

I know of some good yelling matches, but no punches landed.

Scott

Old 02-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I remember hearing a dealer named Vince Gresey who actually hit a cop at an early 90's Bill Goodwin St Louis Show. He vanished after that but resurfaced at some Ft. Washington shows in the late 90's.

Old 02-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hoytdunk

I can't recall punches thrown, but some good yelling matches.

I heard a dealer punched out a customer at the last Chicago National, but they went outside to do it. I don't know who was involved.

The best yelling match was at the 1993 Chicago National when a guy Alan Hager bounced or stopped payment on a check or something was in Alan's face Sunday morning waving the check and yelling the amount he was owed. Hager was in his face yelling back.

Old 02-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Hmmm, can't remember right now, but back in late 80's or early 90's there was a fight at a show with gunshot included.

Need to check Lipset's newsletters again...

Nothing like the good old hobby days!

Old 02-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

How about the one-sided beating i put on my brother when he ruined a few common cards of mine on purpose,they were probably 1991 topps but i beat him up like they were old judge cards

Old 02-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

altercation between Randy Thyberg and someone many years past?

Old 02-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

...we could probably start some new ones rehashing the old ones!

Old 02-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Randy and all of the staff and security at the mantle show in 86. He just hated being thrown out of a show.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I'm sure I gave a Lee a good beating over cards at least once. Has anyone kept of list of who is supposed to be brawling with who at the NAtional?

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

My brother Rhett and I watched a great yelling match with theft allegations flying everywhere at the Pittsburgh show a year and a half ago. Appearantly the dealer caught a guy stealing his stuff and they got into it real bad, the customers kid was crying and a cop was checking all their stuff and it was such a scene that he asked both men to go to a neutral room off the show floor to search the customers belongings for the missing cards. Not sure how it ended up but it was something else!

Old 02-18-2005, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

My memory is failing me on these so it may not be perfect.

Included circa 1980 a fight between the Festberg family and the Robert Eskal family -- something happenned and a long simmering feud exploded.

Circa 1987 or 1988 -- Lou Avon and Mike Bertolini got into a shouting match with some pushing at a NY City show -- there were some invectives I had never heard till that date and have not heard since. That event also may be the winner for the dispute between the heaviest contestants

Circa 1987 in New Bruswick -- 2 plaque dealers got into it during set up at a show. Some good blows were landed and it took 10 of us to break it up.

Regards
Rich